* * * * - 9 votes

Michael Schumacher - Part III

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2749 replies to this topic

#1001 schubacca

schubacca

• 795 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 13:04

Hamilton is not expecting much of Mercedes in 2013, so it's likely Schumacher knew what expectations were to be had for that year and why a two-year contract would've been a must to match his ambitions.

Other than that, I've never felt Lauda had a problem with Schumacher from watching him on RTL, but these comments are bizarre.

I don't take Lauda too seriously.

He is apt to change his opinion easily.

Regarding MS not taking enough risks..... I am not sure where he is getting this from. Last year MS passed the most amount of cars. Driving a Merc is enough risk in itself!!!!! :D

Advertisement

#1002 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 14:08

Hamilton is not expecting much of Mercedes in 2013...

Talk of a champion without ambitions, thus neither he or his fans will be disapointed. Dr. Zetsche must be holding his head and thinking, first Lauda, and now this? WTF...

#1003 schubacca

schubacca

• 795 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 15:07

Talk of a champion without ambitions, thus neither he or his fans will be disapointed. Dr. Zetsche must be holding his head and thinking, first Lauda, and now this? WTF...

If LH was not happy with Mclaren pitstops, wait until he experiences those 4 second ones at Merc..... Don't forget the ones when wheels were not attached!

What is he going to do when he is left out on the track for a couple of needless extra laps?

LH, welcome to a world of Merc!!!

Utter speed was not what was needed. Utter patience.

MS has that...... and even his ran out at the end.

MS was too good for that joke of an outfit.

Edited by schubacca, 10 October 2012 - 15:09.

#1004 DutchCruijff

DutchCruijff

• 933 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 15:10

I really do hope that this comeback is to be seen in the future not as a failure to return to his former heights but of a success showing that he was able to match the best drivers in the world because that's precisely what it was.

Edited by DutchCruijff, 10 October 2012 - 15:11.

#1005 schubacca

schubacca

• 795 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 15:16

I really do hope that this comeback is to be seen in the future not as a failure to return to his former heights but of a success showing that he was able to match the best drivers in the world because that's precisely what it was.

When the Merc is getting beat by Sauber, Force India etc...... how can MS be faulted for anything other than believing that Merc and Brawn could maintain the momentum of 2009....

Again, history will be kinder if:

LH does not trounce NR

Mercedes is still a POS in 2013

I can see both things happening next year.

#1006 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 2,765 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 15:16

It'll never be seen clearly for what it was.

He made some mistake, some quite strange ones and had a rough first season. But he had the pace to match and beat his younger quite well thought of team-mate (not in points due to retirements... we can say he at the very least matched Rosberg). He had the guts to defend his position to the end in races and the nerve to fight to battle up the order. Had the pace, accuracy and skill to take a 'pole position' in Monaco too.

He didn't have the car to fight at the front, but that's not his fault. I have no doubt had he stayed into 2007 he'd be an 8 times world champion, maybe even 9 times with 2008.

#1007 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 15:32

If LH was not happy with Mclaren pitstops, wait until he experiences those 4 second ones at Merc..... Don't forget the ones when wheels were not attached!

What is he going to do when he is left out on the track for a couple of needless extra laps?

LH, welcome to a world of Merc!!!

Utter speed was not what was needed. Utter patience.

MS has that...... and even his ran out at the end.

MS was too good for that joke of an outfit.

No one can deny difficulties, past, present, and those ahead, however in my training expressing doubts like that casts doubts about candidate's mindset, and whether he is psychologically defeated before (track related) battle beggins.

Edited by Sakae, 10 October 2012 - 15:33.

#1008 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 2,418 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 16:30

When the Merc is getting beat by Sauber, Force India etc...... how can MS be faulted for anything other than believing that Merc and Brawn could maintain the momentum of 2009....

Again, history will be kinder if:

LH does not trounce NR

Mercedes is still a POS in 2013

I can see both things happening next year.

If Rosberg matches Hamilton or is faster than him the forum will explode big time. In this case Schumacher would have shown he is still one of the best drivers or Hamilton was never a great one. Hard dilemma for some around here ;)

#1009 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 2,894 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 19:18

Just noticed something

Schumacher has podiumed just ONCE in the last 3 seasons yet still has a 50+% podium ratio out of 300 plus races.

Wow.

#1010 schubacca

schubacca

• 795 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 19:29

If Rosberg matches Hamilton or is faster than him the forum will explode big time. In this case Schumacher would have shown he is still one of the best drivers or Hamilton was never a great one. Hard dilemma for some around here ;)

You will get the "LH needs one season to get used to the Merc...." ;)

#1011 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 2,765 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 22:01

And when he did have a fast car in China and Nico was half a second a lap faster until the Pit Stop issue......

One pole & one podium in 3 years cannot ever be classed as a success, especially when his teammate had 5 podiums in the same period.

5 podiums :clap: give him the championship now!!!!!

Edited by RedBaron, 10 October 2012 - 22:01.

#1012 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,007 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 22:26

Just noticed something

Schumacher has podiumed just ONCE in the last 3 seasons yet still has a 50+% podium ratio out of 300 plus races.

Wow.

Shows you how great Michael truly was/is.

#1013 iakhtar

iakhtar

• 182 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 00:17

Isn't it funny how some posters use his more recent statistics to downplay his worth whilst completely ignoring his overall career stats

#1014 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 6,849 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 00:19

Well the d-bag has to justify his new position and the end of the relationship.

But besides that i won't understand why he has to talk about the subject every single day. His rent-a-quote position at RTL wasn't enough? Now he has to do it for Merc too?

He said he heard that Michael talked to Sauber/Ferrari (i.e. he was gossiping). Now he says he took fewer risk because of age. Actually Michael took more risks just to be able to get that slow, unreliable POS to a better position and get some results. And he paid for it (Senna and Perez last year would were good examples).

Not really - Michael was not taking more risks than in his first career. He was just making more mistakes.

#1015 fbx

fbx

• 10 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:57

If we're candid we have to agree that Mercedes is to blame, Brawn is to blame, the whole team is a fancy name on top of a better-than-average HRT or Marussia, a sad joke, really. So MSC leaving Mercedes makes perfect sense.

Also, F1 is less interesting without Schumacher in it. It's also less interesting than it was years ago before the FIA started banning every new wrinkle, put bad tires on the cars to "make races more interesting" (and less like races -- couldn't we look up the definition of "race" and be astonished again?).

Now, I don't think he's the best pilot these days, but we'll never know how good he was in his comeback because he never had a car nearly as good as he is. And anyway, he's plenty good, and especially when he has a good car under him. How great would Vettel be without the RBR? Hamilton w/o the McLaren? Button, a career 2nd driver, is pretty damn good at McLaren, when everyone thought he was a one-shot with the (lucky) Brawn. Give Michael that car and he'd be in the hunt for the title this year. Yeah, he's screwed up a number of times, but my guess is he just got tired of riding a bad horse every couple of weeks.

What I still don't get is why MSC didn't take up with Sauber, and nothing I've read makes any sense, except, of course, that he was genuinely tired of messing with F1. He knows Mercedes is going nowhere, after the mess they've made of the last three years. He knows Sauber is the better, faster, more tire-friendly car, readily able to mix it up with the top tier (not saying it IS top tier, just that it's close enough to podium a few times).

Most important is that Schumacher's departure is F1's loss. We've got good and interesting drivers in the younger crowd, but nobody that holds a candle to Michael in the star department. Kimi is sort of similar--a magical driver maybe a bit past his prime but still quick. Yes, people have to retire, but Schumacher showed this year (and some of last year) that he has caught up and need not be embarrassed by his performance. He lacked only a ride of consequence. And got instead the ridiculous weekly excuses from Mercedes, the assertions that they were "continuing to push," and "bringing new parts" to the next race, all the while sliding, sliding down behind the lesser teams. There's something infectious and exhilarating about seeing Michael in the pits, Michael chatting people up, Michael in the car. Yeah, it's hero-worship of a kind, but it's also something about the history of the sport, the remarkable career still active, the smile, the chin.

If he has any desire to drive he should have signed on with Sauber for a last hurrah, beat Mercedes soundly next year, taken a few podiums and maybe a win (or two) before closing the book. Last week he drove from 23rd to 11th and could go no further. The only thing holding him back was clearly, obviously, the car.

Me, I vote he changes his mind.

#1016 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 2,765 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:27

Not really - Michael was not taking more risks than in his first career. He was just making more mistakes.

Schumacher made plenty of mistakes in his first career, I don't buy into the fascination that he's lost his reactions now he's older and were this 10 years ago he'd have braked earlier etc etc and now he makes too many mistakes.

He went off behind the safety car in China and crashed behind Montoya during the safety car period in Monaco... if he had done that in his second career people would be blaming his age, a lack of return talent and all sorts. That's just two examples I could name many more that ended his race and ones he got a lucky escape from. I'm talking the Ferrari years too, not when he was a young gun.

The only difference now is Schumacher might have a better team mate the previously, no team orders and a car that ends his race many times (or a team that makes horrible calls). If he had a car that was reliable he'd be beating Rosberg in the points not just out racing him. We'll give Rosberg China though, just like you'd give Massa Turkey.

There's barely any different between the on track Schumacher now and 2006 and prior. His talents are just displayed in the midfield not at the front.

#1017 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:09

Old habits never die. He crashed into a lamp post when he was four, and it's downhill ever since.

#1018 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 6,849 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:23

Old habits never die. He crashed into a lamp post when he was four, and it's downhill ever since.

Come on - I never heard that he crashed into a lamp post. And if so, it went only uphill thereafter :D

#1019 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:33

Come on - I never heard that he crashed into a lamp post. And if so, it went only uphill thereafter :D

No kidding. Could Wiki help? That incident actually prompted his parents to take him to a carting track, and rest is history. :)

Advertisement

#1020 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 6,849 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:39

No kidding. Could Wiki help? That incident actually prompted his parents to take him to a carting track, and rest is history. :)

Thanks for updating me. Didn't know that story, but it is amusing and just shows how far Michael has come since. ;)

#1021 hansmann

hansmann

• 260 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:38

Most important is that Schumacher's departure is F1's loss.

Schumacher made plenty of mistakes in his first career, I don't buy into the fascination that he's lost his reactions now he's older and were this 10 years ago he'd have braked earlier etc etc and now he makes too many mistakes.
There's barely any different between the on track Schumacher now and 2006 and prior. His talents are just displayed in the midfield not at the front.

Good postings, I couldn't agree more .

Michael's return was one of the most exiting things in F1 for me, during the past 4 seasons.
Remember when he almost got into the Ferrari after Massa's accident ? The drama ! ;)

Just a shame he wasn't more successful; everybody has his own opinions on his present (and past...) capabilities, but most of us seem to agree that the Merc isn't competitive, and that he was let down by the team on a number of occassions, in particular this year .

#1022 MSCDesign

MSCDesign

• 112 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:07

Honda open to future Formula 1 return - and Michael driving for it, second comeback:D

#1023 rallye3

rallye3

• 58 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:21

So is Schumi now finally starting to subtly criticise the car? It certainly deserves it

http://en.espnf1.com...tml?CMP=OTC-RSS

#1024 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 13:30

So is Schumi now finally starting to subtly criticise the car? It certainly deserves it

http://en.espnf1.com...tml?CMP=OTC-RSS

It's not a criticism as such. Just a real assessment of the car and what it means for his future race performances. He hasn't said anything critical of the team perse.

#1025 schubacca

schubacca

• 795 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 13:48

Thanks for updating me. Didn't know that story, but it is amusing and just shows how far Michael has come since.;)

Yeah :)

7 WDCs ;)

#1026 aliasj

aliasj

• 150 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:32

WHY the hell is MSC 0.2/0.1s faster than ROS on average in the past 4 GPS/FPS? and why is he retiring?

#1027 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:35

WHY the hell is MSC 0.2/0.1s faster than ROS on average in the past 4 GPS/FPS? and why is he retiring?

I believe because he no motivation to driver another season in a bad car, with only the hope for 2014 remaining. Michael waited 3 years for Mercedes to buiult a winning car, maybe he does not went to wait 3 more years.

#1028 iakhtar

iakhtar

• 182 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:39

Nice pace throughout FP2, hope it gets better.

#1029 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:47

Nice pace throughout FP2, hope it gets better.

Nice pace? Long stint doesn't look good at all.

#1030 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 6,849 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:54

Nice pace? Long stint doesn't look good at all.

Exactly, the less said the better. Nico, however, was reasonably happy and smiling, when interviewed. Michael tested the new parts, Nico will get them tomorrow.

#1031 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:07

Impeding HRT in FP2 = reprimand.

I am slowly getting enough of this BS. First time Hamilton/McLaren were bitching, and now this.

#1032 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:44

Impeding HRT?? This is getting ridiculous. This is whining F1. Who can whine more. Man up crying babies.
No wonder now why MS decided to put end on it. It is not easy with those babies and primadonnas around.

Edited by ivand911, 12 October 2012 - 10:47.

#1033 Urawa

Urawa

• 1,135 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:04

At least the one lap pace seems better again.
He ran a bit wide on his fastest lap at T15, I think there 2 tenths left.

#1034 Mr.Wayne

Mr.Wayne

• 572 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:10

Impeding HRT?? This is getting ridiculous. This is whining F1. Who can whine more. Man up crying babies.
No wonder now why MS decided to put end on it. It is not easy with those babies and primadonnas around.

It is worst than that: He got reprimanded for "impeding" a car in the all relevant, and very important, Friday Practice Session. He got impeded in qualifying at Suzuka. The stewards didn't even bother in investigating the incident after he complained about it (but they were all too busy looking if Vettel impeded an Alonso who, actually, broke late, and hence miss the entrance for the final chicane...)

#1035 sharo

sharo

• 1,767 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:54

Only 5 races to go and everyone who hadn't got a chance to strike MS with a penalty is in panic mode. The good news is he's leaving the muppet show.

#1036 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 13:29

Only 5 races to go and everyone who hadn't got a chance to strike MS with a penalty is in panic mode. The good news is he's leaving the muppet show.

... and if he stayed, what would you call the show? :p

Anyway.... I have to sort of go along with you in that now that he's retiring I can now allow my personal disappointments with the direction F1 has taken to fully come to the surface. DRS and Pirelli rubber to spice up the show. They've got one thing right.... it's a show. It's amazing how we find ways to make ourselves feel good about situations that are far from ideal.

#1037 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 13:51

When MS come we were happy. We thought that he will stay for 1 year and retire again, so he stay 3 years, we should be thankful. And that was not in best conditions for him. So, he just drive.
Still I am sorry he didn't continue with Sauber. It couldn't be worse that this 3 years.
Still he save a lot of money to his fans for next years. Fans that will not visit GPs. I was going for Barcelona test next year and maybe some GPs. But, this is cancelled now. Not going to buy new merchandise. :) Also much free time in the weekends.

Edited by ivand911, 12 October 2012 - 13:52.

#1038 MSCDesign

MSCDesign

• 112 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 15:35

Seems like we can be more positive for this Grand Prix. Just needs a clean weekend and a bit of luck and top 5 is there.

#1039 MSCDesign

MSCDesign

• 112 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 15:35

Seems like we can be more positive for this Grand Prix. Just needs a clean weekend and a bit of luck and top 5 is there.

Advertisement

#1040 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 16:04

When MS come we were happy. We thought that he will stay for 1 year and retire again, so he stay 3 years, we should be thankful. And that was not in best conditions for him. So, he just drive.
Still I am sorry he didn't continue with Sauber. It couldn't be worse that this 3 years.
Still he save a lot of money to his fans for next years. Fans that will not visit GPs. I was going for Barcelona test next year and maybe some GPs. But, this is cancelled now. Not going to buy new merchandise. :) Also much free time in the weekends.

I will miss him on the grid as well, and in fact I noticed already my lost interest in car design and/or improvemets; I do not simply care anymore. Whole Merc (new) team is off my charts, and I think I will be better off. I do follow Vettel as well as a driver (cannot stand the RBR), but there will be void in F1 for very long time for me.

Edited by Sakae, 12 October 2012 - 16:05.

#1041 Wade

Wade

• 426 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 16:14

It will be tough for me to watch F1 after this season, cuz the only other driver that I like other than MS is Kimi.

One last podium/win in his last races would be golden. And when I say podium/win, a well deserved/earned podium and not a giftwrapped/lucky one like his previous podium, with all due respect to Schumi.

#1042 Urawa

Urawa

• 1,135 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 18:14

http://www.faz.net/a...t-11923233.html

Contract length was a big part it seems.
Merc wanted a 2 year contract while he wasn´t even sure if he should sign another for 1 year.
He´ll do no motorbike racing again.
In the meantime they were capable of fighting for wins but others developed faster and they fell back.
The reasons behind that must be found.

That´s just a section of an interview which appears tomorrow.

Edited by Urawa, 12 October 2012 - 18:14.

#1043 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 18:27

http://www.faz.net/a...t-11923233.html

Contract length was a big part it seems.
Merc wanted a 2 year contract while he wasn´t even sure if he should sign another for 1 year.
He´ll do no motorbike racing again.
In the meantime they were capable of fighting for wins but others developed faster and they fell back.
The reasons behind that must be found.

That´s just a section of an interview which appears tomorrow.

Just a few weeks ago forum was full of speculation and rumours of inverse conditions, namely, that Merc wanted to extension only for one year, whereas he wanted two or more.

#1044 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 18:33

I start to lose interest maybe 2-3 months before MS decide to retire. This came after I realized that everything that come from this team is BS. And I get tired from 2,5 years of strong following. And cheated hopes by the team. Personally I can't say that MS retirement come in wrong moment for me. Still it is not easy to let it go. After 20 years.
Michael didn't embarrass himself with the luck of speed those years. Contrary he even have speed in reserve, this is why there have been some "accidents". Colliding with slower objects. :lol:

Nice interview.

#1045 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 6,849 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 18:36

I start to lose interest maybe 2-3 months before MS decide to retire. This came after I realized that everything that come from this team is BS. And I get tired from 2,5 years of strong following. And cheated hopes by the team. Personally I can't say that MS retirement come in wrong moment for me. Still it is not easy to let it go. After 20 years.
Michael didn't embarrass himself with the luck of speed those years. Contrary he even have speed in reserve, this is why there have been some "accidents". Colliding with slower objects. :lol:

Nice interview.

Don't leave F1, Ivan! It would be sad you leave the sport for just one man....there are many other nice, charismatic drivers. You could continue with Sebastian or Fernando or Hulk!

#1046 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 19:31

Just a few weeks ago forum was full of speculation and rumours of inverse conditions, namely, that Merc wanted to extension only for one year, whereas he wanted two or more.

Edit: I do not agree with Michael about choice of Hamilton. If he meant it - get now younger and fast driver, than OK, but not specifically Hamilton. I do not wish them anything bad, but this choice might have been a mistake of this decade. Hamilton is not right for them (right now; perhaps under different circumstances it could be different).

#1047 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,600 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 20:25

Don't leave F1, Ivan! It would be sad you leave the sport for just one man....there are many other nice, charismatic drivers. You could continue with Sebastian or Fernando or Hulk!

and yet, what we get is a pretty dull, non-charismatic Nico Rosberg, with really nothing to offer it seems. Than, we get Lewis Hamilton, who embarrasses himself and his fans whenever he is not actually driving an F1 car. It is really hard to imagine that I will be a fan of either, if experiences are anything to go by. Then, on top of all this, these two will be driving for a team that I am starting to find just as hard to root for as the drivers they are employing. I became a fan of Merc because of Ross Brawn. MS was just the icing I did not know about. By now, the respect is starting to crumble away. Despite the fact that I find the brand itself to be the dullest, most boring, fake-status car brand I can think of in its price category, I still wish Brawn to succeed. For that, he will have to put LH through a serious brain-wash, if Hamilton is up for it. At the moment, I would say he is not up for it. Brawn is used to a certain level of intelligence, and I hope he can manage to push the sxxt out of LH, because he will need to be humble enough to accept the fact he still needs to learn and develop, both as an F1 racer, and as a person. At the moment, "humble" is not an attribute you would readily associate with LH. If he is a made man, and we are seeing the "end product" of his personality, he is doomed to fade. Rosberg, could bloom, if his squirming and lame attitude was caused by his teammate. He certainly has a cause to fight for next season, because whatever they say, it is all but stated that they are expecting LH to lead the team. I'd never be an Alonso fan, Massa big no. Mc as a team is very respectful, but sterile, and dull, and more tech than sport for me to like. Button, I like though. Webber I like as a person, but i can't rate him high any more as a driver, he is spanked for the third consecutive year by his super-talent teammate, which means he is not talented enough. Raikkonen is a favorite of mine, but very far from being enough to switch my attention full time. He is a fantastic driver, but he is not exactly the statue of motivation to his surroundings and his team. Vettel, well I don't like him very much, but he is head and shoulders above everybody else on the grid for years to come as I see it. He could very well be LH's undoing. Perez is overrated, NH, PdR,KK, HK, are midfield cannon-fodder, pulling a Barrichello at best, career-wise. I liked Alguersuari. If he is returning, he has some things to prove. On top of all this, there is Pirelli. That company is the biggest let-down F1 has ever seen, really. I hope they come up with something that make their tyres compatible with F1 racing, because what they have produced this season is a big pile of dung. Everybody hates them, apart from maybe Perez, but everyone smiles, and has some kind words, then spits behind their backs. So, sorry, but after experiencing the level of success MS, Brawn, Benetton, and Ferrari has provided me with, the past few years wee like slipping back into the dark mediaeval times, in every aspect of F1.Mind you, it is not the numbers and stats compiled that are fascinating to me, but the way those were achieved. It is hard to imagine that level of success in the alps, for sure. It is quite easy to leave F1 for the Austrian contingent to tear apart, with a broad grin.

#1048 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 6,849 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 21:13

...It is hard to imagine that level of success in the alps, for sure. It is quite easy to leave F1 for the Austrian contingent to tear apart, with a broad grin.

It is not so difficult to imagine "the Austrian contingent" doing just that, creating an "era Red Bull" - and Sebastian pulling in one WDC after the other, just as Michael did.

Myself, as an Austrian, I always have to smile when they first play, for a German driver, Joseph Haydn's anthem "Unser Kaiser, unser Land" which was the old Austrian emperor's anthem and has been taken over by Germany in 1919, when Austria became a republic. Then they always play the current Austrian anthem by Mozart for the team, although it's a British team really.

So, old Hungarian-Austrian themes sneak in with every win that Sebastian and Red Bull get....

Concerning Michael and his disappearance - I am with you on that, for you it must feel like going back into the Middle Ages after those great Michael years. You now can imagine how I felt when Senna died - F1 felt empty to me for many years.

#1049 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,600 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 21:52

It is not so difficult to imagine "the Austrian contingent" doing just that, creating an "era Red Bull" - and Sebastian pulling in one WDC after the other, just as Michael did.

Myself, as an Austrian, I always have to smile when they first play, for a German driver, Joseph Haydn's anthem "Unser Kaiser, unser Land" which was the old Austrian emperor's anthem and has been taken over by Germany in 1919, when Austria became a republic. Then they always play the current Austrian anthem by Mozart for the team, although it's a British team really.

So, old Hungarian-Austrian themes sneak in with every win that Sebastian and Red Bull get....

Concerning Michael and his disappearance - I am with you on that, for you it must feel like going back into the Middle Ages after those great Michael years. You now can imagine how I felt when Senna died - F1 felt empty to me for many years.

ooopsy, you're Austrian? Actually I was thinking about Mateschitz, Marko, Lauda. From, the three, Lauda still has my respect, as a driver, but I don't see value in his most recent position. The noises he is making is frighteningly similar to that of Marko's, who I don't rate very highly. I fear he could do more harm than good. Forget the Austro-Hungarian themes, I am quite familiar with our history, and we have been a pain in the axx ourselves.

#1050 sharo

sharo

• 1,767 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 22:09

Actually I already said somewhere here that I see Lauda as Zetsche's Marko :)
But it's OT.