Michael Schumacher - Part III

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2749 replies to this topic

#1551 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • In the running for best OP of 2014

• 3,519 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 19:14

The downward spiral of the season is best encapsulated by Michael's season. The great form and promise of the start is a distant memory.

It's sort of funny, because I remember Dieter Zetsche saying when they first signed MS back in 2009 that if they didn't win, it wouldn't be Schumi's fault.

It's sort of sad they couldn't/don't seem to show him the loyalty he's shown them throughout the last three years.

Advertisement

#1552 Pits

Pits

• 415 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 19:20

From the outside we have perception that there is big divide between the team and Michael, and I wonder if we are correct in that assessment. I think something really unhealthy happened especially between Norbert Haug and Michael, and how this all potentially affects his association with the firm, if at all.

Yeah, I feel the same. Something happened but what? I don't thing we will ever know.

#1553 Pits

Pits

• 415 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 19:33

Funny thing that Merc decided to give him a W03 as farewell present. I wonder what Michael will do with it.... :rolleyes:

#1554 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,561 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 19:36

Well he has plenty of horse shit at his farm so one more wouldn't make a difference.

#1555 Fildischum

Fildischum

• 72 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 19:38

Well he has plenty of horse shit at his farm so one more wouldn't make a difference.

:rotfl: Good one! Aside that its painted in silver.

#1556 Pits

Pits

• 415 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 19:42

I mean, It would probably only remind him of the failed project and all the dissapiotment that comes with it.
He's probably not even happy with it, if you compare it to his V10/V12 Ferrari beauty's he has already.

Maybe he should blow it up for therapeutic reasons... :p

Edited by Pits, 28 October 2012 - 19:43.

#1557 rallye3

rallye3

• 68 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 19:53

Funny thing that Merc decided to give him a W03 as farewell present. I wonder what Michael will do with it.... :rolleyes:

Re- body it as some sort of giant fibreglass snail

#1558 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,441 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 20:03

Set it on fire. On the track it practically never was.

#1559 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,531 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 20:17

Share the sentiments on the W03 but the bitterness is overwhelming. MS DIDN'T get the penalty he didn't deserve, he ISN'T being persecuted by a vengeful jury of former WDC rivals, and he HASN'T been sabotaged by people inside the team intent on destroying his great career. Perspective please!
Michael to his credit, battled on to put the new teams behind him and set respectable times in a crap car before obeying team orders and politely "retiring" the car before the inevitable end.

A glorious end to his second career is about as delusional as Lewis Hamilton's move from McLaren at the end of this year. :stoned:

Advertisement

#1560 ali.unal

ali.unal

• 3,317 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 21:06

He can use it as a shopping trolley.

#1561 LiJu914

LiJu914

• 1,776 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 21:37

I didn´t know that Schumacher also participated at one of the Bercy Karting events back in the 90s.

For those, who are interested (german audio):
http://www.youtube.c...p;v=A8tRLdqFbe0

Spoiler:
It wasn´t very exciting tbh as MSC just pulled away from Prost&Co. Maybe he should´ve showboated a little less.  ;)

#1562 Fildischum

Fildischum

• 72 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 21:59

Share the sentiments on the W03 but the bitterness is overwhelming. MS DIDN'T get the penalty he didn't deserve, he ISN'T being persecuted by a vengeful jury of former WDC rivals, and he HASN'T been sabotaged by people inside the team intent on destroying his great career. Perspective please!
Michael to his credit, battled on to put the new teams behind him and set respectable times in a crap car before obeying team orders and politely "retiring" the car before the inevitable end.

A glorious end to his second career is about as delusional as Lewis Hamilton's move from McLaren at the end of this year. :stoned:

Well, i suggets you to read the fia statement first before claiming michael deserves a penalty. The stewards concluded no penalty needed.

#1563 SamH123

SamH123

• 1,297 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 22:06

Well, i suggets you to read the fia statement first before claiming michael deserves a penalty. The stewards concluded no penalty needed.

You misread muz bee's post

#1564 Fildischum

Fildischum

• 72 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 22:10

You misread muz bee's post

Oh yeah, i apologize for that muz bee. Cheers!

#1565 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:42

That's one mighty conclusion, which presupposes, among other things, that FiA is infallible, consistent and simply perfect. I take precautionary exception to that.

#1566 DS27

DS27

• 1,127 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:57

Mercedes have achieved the impossible - they have drained the enthusiasm and motivation of the greatest driver I have ever seen.

His interview after the race was telling, and I think he would rather walk away now, knowing that a final good result is impossible. Howver, his professionalism will prevent him from walking and he along with us will have to endure these last painful races.

#1567 Junky

Junky

• 298 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:23

I'm just praying for a wet race to a (imaginary) final top-5 finish.

#1568 SparkPlug

SparkPlug

• 491 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:24

"We have done 17 races and we have had eight retirements, so [nearly] 50% retirements," Schumacher said after the race. "Well, that's not a statistic we are used to - certainly not. But obviously we retired the car for precaution reasons but it was all done by the first corner."

Asked if he could end his Formula One career on a high, with his retirement scheduled for the end of the season, Schumacher said: "It would be nice, very clearly. But I'm not expecting it and I'm not very sentimental about it.

"As long as I can fight for top positions then I do my job as much as I can and I try to help the team and get things ready for them for next year as much as possible. But other than that, it's kind of a normal job."

I have never seen Michael Schumacher as demotivated as this in the last 20 years. Its looking like a terrible and painful end to a glorious career. Its not the way a Formula 1 legend should be leaving this sport. I dont think we'll be seeing much of him around the F1 paddock in the next few years. The whole Mercedes project seems to have sapped him of all his energy and enthusiasm for motorsport in general. On the other hand, I hope he for one will not regret coming back to F1 as they say, its better to have tried and failed than to have not tried at all.

Personally I think he should've kept his options open in 2008 / 2009 itself. In the one off test for Ferrari sometime in late 2007 / 2008, it was clear that he still had the pace to compete at this level. He should've got on the phone immediately and gone seat shopping. Instead he waited till he was 40 till he realized that the racing bug wasnt out of his system. Maybe it was just too late for a new project.

#1569 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,441 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:17

I have never seen Michael Schumacher as demotivated as this in the last 20 years. Its looking like a terrible and painful end to a glorious career. Its not the way a Formula 1 legend should be leaving this sport. I dont think we'll be seeing much of him around the F1 paddock in the next few years. The whole Mercedes project seems to have sapped him of all his energy and enthusiasm for motorsport in general. On the other hand, I hope he for one will not regret coming back to F1 as they say, its better to have tried and failed than to have not tried at all.

Personally I think he should've kept his options open in 2008 / 2009 itself. In the one off test for Ferrari sometime in late 2007 / 2008, it was clear that he still had the pace to compete at this level. He should've got on the phone immediately and gone seat shopping. Instead he waited till he was 40 till he realized that the racing bug wasnt out of his system. Maybe it was just too late for a new project.

I agree with you. The point is, he was on it in 2007 but didn't have the motivation. He just started his 3 year holiday (must be a record too). Hindsight is a rubbish thing :)

#1570 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,183 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:27

Is there a post race interview transcript or video online? It'd be interesting to analyse his body language.

#1571 sharo

sharo

• 1,791 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:44

I have never seen Michael Schumacher as demotivated as this in the last 20 years. ........................

We'll never know perhaps but I suspected he was contractually tied with Ferrari for those 3 years. It's logical they wouldn't want him to go to another team, at least not right after his retirement with them.

#1572 Martijn

Martijn

• 362 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 15:20

I agree with you. The point is, he was on it in 2007 but didn't have the motivation. He just started his 3 year holiday (must be a record too). Hindsight is a rubbish thing :)

Actually that's a record Schumacher can only beat when he makes a comeback in 2022 at the age of 53 :)

Currently Jan Lammers holds the record for biggest gap between races:
In 1992, Jan Lammers made a two-race comeback in F1 for March, his first F1 appearance since 1982, which is the longest gap between successive Grands Prix in the history of Formula One. (He was signed for the team in 1993 as well, but they went bankrupt before the season started.)

#1573 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,441 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 15:42

I was thinking someone would come up with Lammers, but I meant 3 years of a REAL holiday :p In Holland we don't have REAL holidays in between part 1 and 2 of a successful carreer :p

#1574 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,441 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 16:05

http://www.moneycont...bye_774364.html

#1575 Spa95

Spa95

• 861 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 16:13

What happend to Schumacher, anybody knows?

https://twitter.com/...1967104/photo/1

He was fouled in a football match a few days earlier.

#1576 Kucki

Kucki

• 1,245 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 20:30

Does someone have a quick rundown of Schumachers races this year? It seemed almost comical how every single race he either had a technical problem, a penalty, or something else stupid happening.

#1577 exmayol

exmayol

• 554 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 22:09

Does someone have a quick rundown of Schumachers races this year? It seemed almost comical how every single race he either had a technical problem, a penalty, or something else stupid happening.

Yeah I was wondering too. It'll be also nice to see how well he did in the races / weekends free of issues.

#1578 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 22:18

Apologies to the mods if this is considered off topic or spam but I had to show it.

Its a shame Michael isn't doing as well in real life as he is doing in my F1 2012 career season, 1 race to go and he's only 1 point behind the leader. :)

Posted Image

#1579 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,441 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 23:16

Heeeeeeeere we gooooooooo.

Gearboxfail, hit by Grosjean, wheel going nuts at stop, DRS problem in quali, crashed out by Senna, hydraulics fail, DRS failure in race, THIRD!!, SEVENTH!!, SEVENTH!!, the weekend where everything went wrong with MSC, SEVENTH!!, SIXTH!!, silly crash with Vergne, 11th after penalty for Vergne crash, forgot about Korea, Vergne paid him back with instant flat tyre=>DNF.

Let's break it down:
Mech stuff: 5 times fatal.
Others' mistakes: 3 times.
His mistakes: 2 times.
Points finishes: 6
Non points finishes: 1

Edited by Jejking, 29 October 2012 - 23:19.

Advertisement

#1580 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:10

Heeeeeeeere we gooooooooo.

Gearboxfail, hit by Grosjean, wheel going nuts at stop, DRS problem in quali, crashed out by Senna, hydraulics fail, DRS failure in race, THIRD!!, SEVENTH!!, SEVENTH!!, the weekend where everything went wrong with MSC, SEVENTH!!, SIXTH!!, silly crash with Vergne, 11th after penalty for Vergne crash, forgot about Korea, Vergne paid him back with instant flat tyre=>DNF.

Let's break it down:
Mech stuff: 5 times fatal.
Others' mistakes: 3 times.
His mistakes: 2 times.
Points finishes: 6
Non points finishes: 1

Yeah, name anyone who would wear a happy face over such stats. It's downright depressing. Regarding so called mistakes, I think risk is exponentially higher that something bad will occur, as soon as your grid position is lower. Arriving in the middle of pack into a first corner without being hit is a small miracle in its own standing.

#1581 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,441 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:12

Well, I think Senna and Grosjean entered their comfort zone too late. They're behaving and duelling better now than in the beginning of the season (Malaysia, Valencia, Barcelona, Monaco, etc). Unfortunately, there are only 3 races left.

#1582 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,153 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:59

Never a word of apology from the team, Brawn or Haug for their truly abysmal performance.
Schumi's comeback was always time limited and could have been so completely different in a better car - which is almost any of them.

You win as a team, you lose as a team.

I don't remember Michael apologizing to the team, Brawn or Haug for running into Senna, Kobayashi or Vergne either. Nor was he notorious during his whole career for ever accepting (let alone apologizing) when he had made mistakes.

Karma always goes full circle.

#1583 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,342 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:28

With one short sentence, Fernando Alonso defended his great rival Michael Schumacher, criticised the Mercedes team’s performance, praised Sauber’s 2012 car, and slated the Swiss team’s current driver lineup.

“I am sure [that] Michael would have won three races this year for Sauber,” the Ferrari driver is quoted by the German-language T-Online website.

Instead, 43-year-old Schumacher is bowing out of the sport at the end of the season on a low, his return to F1 since 2010 almost certainly to be remembered as a failure in his otherwise all-conquering career.

The Mercedes driver is quoted as admitting that saying goodbye in Brazil with a good result would “be nice”.

“But I don’t expect it,” he is quoted by Abendblatt. “So in this regard I will not be sentimental.”

Schumacher said that the most he can hope for is that the fruits of his contribution to the Mercedes project will be reaped by next year’s drivers, Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg.

“It is natural that we are still working together as a team right now as though I will still be there next year,” he said.

“The team is also interested in my opinion and experience.”

Team boss and long time friend Ross Brawn confirmed that Schumacher’s hand will be obvious when Mercedes succeeds.

I hope [that] people think of Michael on the day that we achieve our goals, because he will wear a proportion of that success,” said the Briton

http://www.yallaf1.c.....8YallaF1.com)

#1584 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,342 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:29

You win as a team, you lose as a team.

I don't remember Michael apologizing to the team, Brawn or Haug for running into Senna, Kobayashi or Vergne either. Nor was he notorious during his whole career for ever accepting (let alone apologizing) when he had made mistakes.

Karma always goes full circle.

The teamhave apologised to him as he has also apoloised to the team...an easy google search will show that - but of course AN won't remember some of the apologies so I willhelp him

Apologies to team

Check f1pit radio.. you might find a few sorries in there - might even find sorries both ways

July 2012 The way I ended the second session was obviously not part of the plan and I'm sorry that my mistake has given my guys even more work to do this evening," Schumacher said. "I simply slid off track because I lost a little concentration: we were talking on the radio and I was altering some settings at the same time. But that's all part of the game.

re: apologising to drivers - yes it's hard for him, and I know you won't remember them all, so do a quick google search. I can find one this year already- Vergne

and what the hell is this

"As racing drivers, we are independent of the cars," Schumacher said in an interview with Sunday's edition of German daily Die Welt.

"The fact things didn't go as well for me as planned is my fault, not that of the team.

"What is important though is to be able to look in the mirror and be able to say that I gave all I had. And I can do that.

"I can leave Formula One with my head held high."

http://www.sbs.com.a...ult-says-Schumi

Edited by Raelene, 31 October 2012 - 09:35.

#1585 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,153 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:55

The teamhave apologised to him as he has also apoloised to the team...an easy google search will show that - but of course AN won't remember some of the apologies so I willhelp him

Apologies to team

Check f1pit radio.. you might find a few sorries in there - might even find sorries both ways

re: apologising to drivers - yes it's hard for him, and I know you won't remember them all, so do a quick google search. I can find one this year already- Vergne

and what the hell is this

"As racing drivers, we are independent of the cars," Schumacher said in an interview with Sunday's edition of German daily Die Welt.

"The fact things didn't go as well for me as planned is my fault, not that of the team.

"What is important though is to be able to look in the mirror and be able to say that I gave all I had. And I can do that.

"I can leave Formula One with my head held high."

http://www.sbs.com.a...ult-says-Schumi

I think that is a result of Michael's second career - that he started to apologize. Thanks Raelene, for proving me wrong.

Concerning rallye3's post: "Never a word of apology from the team, Brawn or Haug for their truly abysmal performance."

I am quite sure that behind closed doors Ross would have said numerous times something like "Sorry Michael, we are really not were we should be. I know you could do better if we gave you the car!"

However, it would be a little bit funny if Ross or Norbert would step in front of the media and say: "We apologize openly to Michael for giving him such a bad car. He could do much better would we not produce such a shitty car!"

#1586 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,342 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:01

the team have also apologised to him publically as I mentioned in my previous post

#1587 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:06

the team have also apologised to him publically as I mentioned in my previous post

They've done so many times. Ross especially!!

#1588 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:50

They've done so many times. Ross especially!!

Weird, when was that?

#1589 Pits

Pits

• 415 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:54

Weird, when was that?

Can't find the link at the moment, but it's true.
They have apologised for failing and not providing him with a competive car.

Edited by Pits, 31 October 2012 - 11:55.

#1590 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 2,817 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:54

Weird, when was that?

“He suffered a hydraulic issue which left his DRS jammed open and it was not possible to fix it in race conditions. I can only apologise to Michael for a further technical failure. Of course it’s disappointing for all of us but it’s not a question of pointing fingers; stuff like this happens. I know the team are doing their best and that it probably hits them even harder than me. We’ll be back on the attack in Valencia.”

Briefly.

There was one other occasion at least though, but I can't be bothered Googling any more. It happened though.

Edited by RedBaron, 31 October 2012 - 11:56.

#1591 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:24

Can't find the link at the moment, but it's true.
They have apologised for failing and not providing him with a competive car.

Dr. Zetsche has, but whilst I am following story of Schumacher almost daily, this appology from Brawn and Haug escaped me. After news conference in Singapore my interest in Haug, Brawn, and Lauda etc. got below a freezing point.

#1592 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:25

Briefly.

There was one other occasion at least though, but I can't be bothered Googling any more. It happened though.

I was not thinking about a single event, but past three years...

#1593 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 2,817 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:32

Oh right. My mistake. If there is a quote for that I'd like to see it to!

#1594 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:35

Brawn had apologised to Michael on more than one occasion during the run of technical failures.

I don't think he has apologised to Michael for the car's performance though. He has only made it clear on more than one occasion that the lack of results haven't been down to the drivers and that he believes that they will deliver once the car is capable of results.

#1595 Pits

Pits

• 415 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:50

This article does in some way. But I remeber Brawn also saying something in that line.

http://www.yallaf1.c...non-racing-job/

#1596 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:58

This article does in some way. But I remeber Brawn also saying something in that line.

http://www.yallaf1.c...non-racing-job/

That's the one I have been reffering to in above post No. 1591.

#1597 Sanman59

Sanman59

• 268 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 17:50

Brawn had apologised to Michael on more than one occasion during the run of technical failures.

I don't think he has apologised to Michael for the car's performance though. He has only made it clear on more than one occasion that the lack of results haven't been down to the drivers and that he believes that they will deliver once the car is capable of results.

http://www.yallaf1.c...er-says-alonso/

Probably right

):

#1598 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,153 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:36

Schumacher did also not apologize to Brawn and the team for all the things he did wrong during the past three years. So I don't know what you are up to, Sakae.

There were many things that have gone wrong, both on the team's side, on Michael's side, and in the design of the car.

Besides, this apologizing business will not bring them forward anyway - they should rather focus on going ahead. Plus, MSC's "apologies" were often insincere, I remember when Michael "apologized" for Hungaroring 2010 (driving Barrichello against the pit wall), his wording was something along the lines of "I am sorry if he feels that way...", not "I am sorry for driving him towards the pit wall".

The record for most GP's contested, by the way, remains with Rubens Barrichello.

#1599 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:41

Schumacher did also not apologize to Brawn and the team for all the things he did wrong during the past three years. So I don't know what you are up to, Sakae.

There were many things that have gone wrong, both on the team's side, on Michael's side, and in the design of the car.

Besides, this apologizing business will not bring them forward anyway - they should rather focus on going ahead. Plus, MSC's "apologies" were often insincere, I remember when Michael "apologized" for Hungaroring 2010 (driving Barrichello against the pit wall), his wording was something along the lines of "I am sorry if he feels that way...", not "I am sorry for driving him towards the pit wall".

The record for most GP's contested, by the way, remains with Rubens Barrichello.

So now, it's about not being sincere. I see what you mean....

So now, it's about the apologizing thing not bringing them forward. I understand.

Edited by ali_M, 01 November 2012 - 10:42.

Advertisement

#1600 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,441 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:34

You're a sad man. First you say Schumacher never apologized for anything. It was proved otherwise. Then you start saying and hammering on how Schumachers apologies to Barrichello weren't good enough, at least for your taste. I think Schumacher should learn HTML and make an extreme makeover of Michael-Schumacher.de with an open apology to anyone who he ever committed a severe, inhuman crime against, for at least two months.