* * * * - 9 votes

Michael Schumacher - Part III

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2749 replies to this topic

#2001 DS27

DS27

• 1,022 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:57

A great, illustrious career of F1's most popular and recognizable driver is coming to an end, and I'm afraid, with this car, we'll probably not even see enough of him on TV at Brazil. Who are you guys kidding ? The car is terrible, it may have been good in the rain up until midway through the season, but the car has fallen backwards quite rapidly for you Schu fans to even expect a top 5 finish.

Firstly all the action will be concentrated around the likes of Vettel and Alonso in that battle, and we'll have Michael struggling to get grip or hold position against Force India and Williams. A most unremarkable end to a remarkable career.

I think he'll still have a nice broad smile on his face, that its all over. The nightmare of driving for this team is finally done, and he can finally do what he really should have been doing all these 3 years instead of struggling in a rank midfield car and a mediocre team.

Good Bye MS ! You will be missed.

:up: I will feel a sense of relief more than anything, and Michael will probably feel the same.

Thank you Michael, for making F1 magical for so many people.

Edited by DS27, 22 November 2012 - 07:59.

Advertisement

#2002 hansmann

hansmann

• 260 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:34

:up: I will feel a sense of relief more than anything, and Michael will probably feel the same.

I'm not so sure; working as an F1 driver can be a pretty good gig, especially for someone like MS .
Travel the world to race cars, make a lot of money, the status to write your own rules, the legacy and the wealth to do as you please .
What's not to like ?

#2003 DS27

DS27

• 1,022 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:39

I'm not so sure; working as an F1 driver can be a pretty good gig, especially for someone like MS .
Travel the world to race cars, make a lot of money, the status to write your own rules, the legacy and the wealth to do as you please .
What's not to like ?

For most mere mortals I would agree, but for Michael?

Once you have soared above the clouds, where is the joy in looking out the dirty window of a run down 13th floor flat.

#2004 BetaVersion

BetaVersion

• 689 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:44

A great, illustrious career of F1's most popular and recognizable driver is coming to an end, and I'm afraid, with this car, we'll probably not even see enough of him on TV at Brazil. Who are you guys kidding ? The car is terrible, it may have been good in the rain up until midway through the season, but the car has fallen backwards quite rapidly for you Schu fans to even expect a top 5 finish.

I'm not even sure if the car was ever any good in rain or was it just Schumi. Nico sucked in all those qualifyings.

#2005 Kucki

Kucki

• 1,239 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:06

Thanks Michael Schumacher for alot of unforgettable moments in F1.

And never buy a Mercedes.

#2006 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,374 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:51

I'm not even sure if the car was ever any good in rain or was it just Schumi. Nico sucked in all those qualifyings.

Too bad there's no ultimate benchmark in F1, you never know how good a driver was compared to his team mate.

#2007 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,217 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 16:12

Thanks Michael Schumacher for alot of unforgettable moments in F1.

And never buy a Mercedes.

+1 :up:

#2008 schubacca

schubacca

• 796 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 16:32

+1 :up:

+2 :up:

#2009 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 2,986 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 16:50

+3

:up:

I feel sick whenever I hear the name Mercedes now. I hope they have a poor sales record next year.

#2010 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 2,886 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 16:57

+3

I feel sick whenever I hear the name Mercedes now. I hope they have a poor sales record next year.

+4

#2011 DutchCruijff

DutchCruijff

• 933 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 17:35

After 3 years of the Schumi train, the last Grand Prix weekend together has arrived. Despite the vast majority of this journey being taken up by the lows, I for one will cherish his comeback. The few gems, Monaco '12 & Monza '11, amongst the rough showed that he was still had a place amongst the best. His comeback empitomised all that is Michael Schumacher, driving to the limit, defending to the end and ever the professional. No tantrums, no blame but just hard, but fair, racing.

Gentlemen, it has been a pleasure spending the last 3 years on here with you. :)

Auf Wiedersehen, Michael.

#2012 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 18:12

Firstly all the action will be concentrated around the likes of Vettel and Alonso in that battle, and we'll have Michael struggling to get grip or hold position against Force India and Williams. A most unremarkable end to a remarkable career.

I think he'll still have a nice broad smile on his face, that its all over. The nightmare of driving for this team is finally done, and he can finally do what he really should have been doing all these 3 years instead of struggling in a rank midfield car and a mediocre team.

Good Bye MS ! You will be missed.

:up: Nice post.

#2013 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:40

Gentlemen, it has been a pleasure spending the last 3 years on here with you. :)

+1

Lets focus on the race for the last time. 90% chance of raining on Sunday - 46mm rain. Saturday ,80% with 5mm rain. So, the rain on Sunday will be epic. :p I think this is what we waiting for, this whole season. Car in Silverstone configuration was fast in the rain, I hope it will be now too. Or we will have another Malaysia.
Fingers crossed for last good race. And I mean race.

Edited by ivand911, 23 November 2012 - 08:41.

#2014 Telemetry Man

Telemetry Man

• 249 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:16

+1

Lets focus on the race for the last time. 90% chance of raining on Sunday - 46mm rain. Saturday ,80% with 5mm rain. So, the rain on Sunday will be epic. :p I think this is what we waiting for, this whole season. Car in Silverstone configuration was fast in the rain, I hope it will be now too. Or we will have another Malaysia.
Fingers crossed for last good race. And I mean race.

Expect the race to be won by Vettel under the safety car then - you know Whiting doesn't allow drivers to drive when it rains anymore.

#2015 sharo

sharo

• 1,772 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:26

+3

+4

:up: +5

Edited by sharo, 23 November 2012 - 09:26.

#2016 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 2,648 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:00

:up: +5

:up: + 6

Edited by 1Devil1, 23 November 2012 - 10:01.

#2017 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 2,986 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:01

Come on Michael, turn back the clock just one more time and remind us why you are considered the greatest driver of all time.

#2018 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,323 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:28

:up: + 6

:up: +7 Results have not been what we wanted, but its been good to catch up with fellow Michael fans in this thread. Kind of helped with the darker moments of this season.

Dont forget this weekend is his last in F1, but there is still the ROC to go this year.

#2019 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,217 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:58

After 3 years of the Schumi train, the last Grand Prix weekend together has arrived. Despite the vast majority of this journey being taken up by the lows, I for one will cherish his comeback. The few gems, Monaco '12 & Monza '11, amongst the rough showed that he was still had a place amongst the best. His comeback empitomised all that is Michael Schumacher, driving to the limit, defending to the end and ever the professional. No tantrums, no blame but just hard, but fair, racing.

Advertisement

#2020 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,374 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:21

:up: +7 Results have not been what we wanted, but its been good to catch up with fellow Michael fans in this thread. Kind of helped with the darker moments of this season.

Dont forget this weekend is his last in F1, but there is still the ROC to go this year.

+8 :up:

#2021 Gintonious

Gintonious

• 975 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:26

I think it is a shame it never worked out the way we had all hoped, he was amazing at times this year, his pole at Monaco stands out to me.

I'll always consider him the best, he was a and still is a hero to me, when he got the first Ferrari title, I was overjoyed.

Once again, I say thank you Michael, you left your mark well before you went near a silver machine, let the nay sayers speak, their words have no bearing on history.

#2022 PoliFanAthic

PoliFanAthic

• 641 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:30

:up: +7

:up: +8

It saddens me that it is only now that I've truly followed F1, in all the gory details. I wish I'd have been a bit older and a bit more dedicated to it ten years ago, when Michael was at his best, but that in no way lessens the great moments of joy he has delivered for me personally and F1 fans all around.

Certain moments just can't be recreated, I guess, like me clutching a pillow while covered with a huge Ferrari flag in my living room and praying for the best during the '06 Turkish GP.

Posted Image

#2023 sanW10

sanW10

• 132 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:52

likewise my man, likewise.

on the funny yet factual side, at least Mercedes AMG F1 Team represent their AMG road cars well with their F1 car - Good only in straights, all over the place in corners & Tyre munchers. :p

#2024 Lelouch

Lelouch

• 608 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:00

:up: +8

It saddens me that it is only now that I've truly followed F1, in all the gory details. I wish I'd have been a bit older and a bit more dedicated to it ten years ago, when Michael was at his best, but that in no way lessens the great moments of joy he has delivered for me personally and F1 fans all around.

Certain moments just can't be recreated, I guess, like me clutching a pillow while covered with a huge Ferrari flag in my living room and praying for the best during the '06 Turkish GP.

That's the spirit guys!! :D I will never forget waking up at 4-5 o'clok in the morning and being in exactly the same situation as you just to watch that guy racing. Following this thread has been a real pleasure for me since I was able to read some really interesting thoughts about him both from his fans and those who don't like him. As much as this comeback has hurt most of his fans I would still prefer that he continued because now i won't have a driver to support anymore so waiting for every F1 weekend will be never be the same again.

Anyway, thank you Michael for making me follow this fantastic and thank you Michael's fans or not fans for contributing to this thread one way or another! Michael Schumacher will always be the greatest passion of my life in terms of sports and the greatest among F1 legends! Have a great time everyone now matter how bad this racing weekend is or how bad the world is sometimes!

MICHAEL SCHUMACHER FOR LIFE!!!

Cheers!

#2025 my_own_shadow

my_own_shadow

• 214 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 13:56

I feel sick whenever I hear the name Mercedes now

+9 :up:

#2026 Paco

Paco

• 1,208 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 14:30

+9 :up:

+10 :up: Much of that allure of a Mercedes is gone (after the mess with Chysler and not as a Full Works team in F1).. and all I see when a C, E or S class drives by me is a Company lost and utterly crap on the road and laugh at the owners who invested in such a crap piece of machinery.

#2027 schubacca

schubacca

• 796 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 14:37

I have enjoyed these last 3 years despite the lack of results.

In this day and age of F1, where kids are hopping onto race-winning cars, and crying to their team, or media when things do not do their way, is was refreshing to see MSC remind us all how to be a professional. The man deserved better equipment, but I think that MSC was always at his best when he was the underdog.

..... a boy was the Mercedes a dog of a car!

F1 will not be the same for me. I won't be depressed if MSC had a bad race. And I won't be so stressed when watching the races. In many ways, watching F1 next year will be a relief and good for my overall health!

#2028 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 16:13

Well here we are then.

Good luck for this weekend Michael. I'll be saying it again, but thanks for all the great races and sporting memories you gave to us. I loved F1 racing before Michael for the spectacle and 'show' (I was very young), but he made me fall in love with the art and percision of the racing driver. Of course there are others just as or more capable in some areas, but being a fan of a certain style is a personal thing.

Of course there were controversies, and times I absolutely despaired. And once or twice it actually hurt to be a fan. But I always think of that line in Gladiator when Russel Crowe says to the crowd 'Are you not entertained?'

Well yes, I bloody well was. Every. Single. Second.

Say what you will about Michael, I know that every time I watched him he was putting 100% of his heart and soul into trying to drive that car the best he could, and was fighting for every position whether it was the lead or 14th place he fought for it, and as his supporter I felt like he was fighting for me too. The way he races cars means a lot to me for reasons I don't understand myself.

I have mixed feelings about Michaels comeback. At times it hurt to see a great driver stripped of his powers and sometimes humbled and humiliated. But it was also... captivating I suppose... to watch him rage against the dying of the light. And at times - the Monaco pole, his Silverstone quali, that race in Canada, his race from the back of the grid in Spa, when he could still inspire, and showed that beyond his above average driving abilities what made Michael such a champion was just his raw fight. Thats what made me a fan, made him do the bad things, and made him such a success - just that sheer strength of will to fight. I don't know when we'll see the likes of it again.

Plus Michaels comeback meant I finally got to see him race an F1 car live, which was a great experience.

Thank you Michael, and best of luck this weekend. I don't care where you finish, just please make sure you go out still fighting for every 1000th of a second and every inch of track. I know you will.

#2029 schumimercamg

schumimercamg

• 315 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 17:27

I don't want to say too much but I just have a feeling Schumi could so something magical on Sunday.

Practice pace looks good and if we can get in the top 7 and it rains on Sunday then.... I think we could see something special.

#2030 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 2,648 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 17:34

I don't want to say too much but I just have a feeling Schumi could so something magical on Sunday.

Practice pace looks good and if we can get in the top 7 and it rains on Sunday then.... I think we could see something special.

Would be epic! Last race in that shit box and rain as equalizer. Michael with one last rain dance to the podium.

.... but not likely the team will screw something up :D

#2031 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 17:35

That car is suiting this track or MGP is the stupidest team for all times!! I think the race pace was almost on leaders level. Such a waste , to look shit races after old car is so much better that new one. I don't believe they bring 2013 car as they said, I think there is small difference around exhaust exits, but nothing more. And gills.
And every good performance by Michael make me sad. He is 0,06 sec behind Alonso. If this is not fast ,I don't know what is.

http://184.106.145.7.....Lap Times.pdf

Edited by ivand911, 23 November 2012 - 18:01.

#2032 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 17:49

That car is suiting this track or MGP is the stupidest team for all times!! I think the race race was almost on leaders level. Such a waste , to look shit races after old car is so much better that new one. I don't believe they bring 2013 car as they said, I think there is small difference around exhaust exits, but nothing more. And gills.
And every good performance by Michael make me sad. He is 0,06 sec behind Alonso. If this is not fast ,I don't know what is.

Yeah, he's certainly still capable of mixing it with the front runners given half a chance. I'm sad that we never got to see Michael in his second career really have a chance to race a strong car. It feels weirdly 'too early' and like there is unfinished business, despite a 21 year career. There was a brief moment when I actually let myself believe he might have a season at McLaren. Just imagine if he had...

#2033 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,328 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 17:50

I think Schu's gonna do something magical in the wet.... Something like China 2006, would be nice?!

#2034 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 17:56

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
They look the same age. :)
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
And Judas. :mad:

Edited by ivand911, 23 November 2012 - 18:02.

#2035 sharo

sharo

• 1,772 posts

Yes, Ivan.
The most regretful thing about Michael's second career is that we all know he gave all he could, has not lost much if anything and having a competitive enough car he could express his passion the best way he knows - on the track. But we were deprived of that by Mercedes, a big brand name which as it turns we have put great expectations on, only to be bitterly disappointed.
For me they are the last example of how a big corporation usually fails in a very competitive, fast changing and demanding environment.

#2036 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 2,648 posts

I think Schu's gonna do something magical in the wet.... Something like China 2006, would be nice?!

Can't think of that. Rain can equalize the car performances to some extent but recently you need a fitting car in the rain. You can be completely lost in the rain even if you are one of the best rain drivers if your car cannot heat up the tires. So my hopes are the mercedes is a good rain car and Michael is still capable of performance like china 2006. too many if's but I root for it :up:

#2037 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 18:16

I think with Michael luck will rain in the weekend, he don't want to rain. Lets see what will tomorrow bring.

#2038 DutchCruijff

DutchCruijff

• 933 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 18:27

Sweet Jesus, I'm going to miss the days of ranting about how sh*t Mercedes and how every single one of their engineering team, starting with Jock Clear, should be shot. :cry: :lol:

#2039 schubacca

schubacca

• 796 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 18:40

That car is suiting this track or MGP is the stupidest team for all times!! I think the race pace was almost on leaders level. Such a waste , to look shit races after old car is so much better that new one. I don't believe they bring 2013 car as they said, I think there is small difference around exhaust exits, but nothing more. And gills.

http://184.106.145.7.....Lap Times.pdf

Gross incompetence on the part of Mercedes.

-They said that too much time was used to understand the increased tyre wear rate...... Only that they still don't understand the problem!

-They worked on the Renault-style DDS..... Only to abandon that concept

-They worked on the Coanda-effect exhaust..... Same story

-They got two different teams, one working on the 2013 car, the other on the 2014.....

I got an idea...... Mercedes needs to abandon F1.

Regarding MS, we have seen this too often. Good practice and quali times, only to go backwards come race day because the Merc needs an extra set of shoes compared to everyone else.

Advertisement

#2040 DS27

DS27

• 1,022 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 18:45

Bizzarley, this is a happy place to be recently. It's quite good to know others feels the same as you in so many ways.

I hope it rains, as it brings a sliver of a chance, but it's still likely the car will be a dog - it's just a lottery really as to whether the tyres get in the right window. I know it won't happen, but I swear that if the stars aligned and somehow MS won, I'd take the week off work and spend it celebrating.

#2041 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 18:52

Thanks for those pics Ivan!! Keep them coming.

It's amazing how the man is still so fit.

I'm personally not praying for anything other than that it doesn't turn out to be another embarrassment. Oh please, oh please.... not another nice qualifying, only to go backwards down the order during the race at unprecedented speed.

I'll always remember Michael as one who never gave up and who would always explore the limits in the heat of competition. I'll always remember him as the one who cared about what others felt, and despite this, would still find himself incapable of doing anything but fight tooth and nail in the heat of competition, often overstepping the boundaries, an expected consequence of dancing in and around that limit. It has been inspiring watching him deal with those often conflicting sides of him. Some have learnt from Michael, the folly in justifying conservatism and cowardice through the guise of noble intentions and sportsmanship. Hard racing and hard competition first and foremost, has been his style and approach. Discipline and attention to detail have been the others.

It has been really entertaining, instructive and inspirational to watch. He has shown me through his racing, how to get the most out of life and that it will not happen by pleasing all around you. The most successful are usually the most controversial whether or not they truly step on toes. The controversy will come through envy if nothing else and many will shout themselves victims in the wake of such success.

Edited by ali_M, 23 November 2012 - 18:56.

#2042 Poep

Poep

• 85 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 19:12

Let's hope it rains big time, and MS can remind us why his nickname was 'the Rainmeister".

Edited by Poep, 23 November 2012 - 19:14.

#2043 Poep

Poep

• 85 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 19:13

+10 :up: Much of that allure of a Mercedes is gone (after the mess with Chysler and not as a Full Works team in F1).. and all I see when a C, E or S class drives by me is a Company lost and utterly crap on the road and laugh at the owners who invested in such a crap piece of machinery.

+11 :up:

I'll miss you Michael! :|

#2044 F1Champion

F1Champion

• 2,922 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 19:27

Michael as a fan over your whole career, it has been great to follow in my eyes the greatest F1 driver. Epic drives, qualifying laps and overtakes. Loved watching him on the limit. All the best!

#2045 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 19:34

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2046 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,217 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 20:43

Message To Michael Schumacher and Mercedes GP! Farewell King Schumi!

#2047 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 2,886 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 21:12

Hamilton has a 'Thank you McLaren' message on his helmet.

Michael should have a 'F**k you, Mercedes' message on his. :D

#2048 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,244 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 21:18

Hamilton has a 'Thank you McLaren' message on his helmet.

Michael should have a 'F**k you, Mercedes' message on his. :D

Why? At least they gave him a seat otherwise he would have been sitting on the sidelines the past few seasons.

#2049 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 2,886 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 21:28

Why? At least they gave him a seat otherwise he would have been sitting on the sidelines the past few seasons.

Why?

....seriously? have you been watching?

#2050 SlateGray

SlateGray

• 6,122 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 21:38

Perhaps if Schumachers fan's where a bit more balanced in their view of the car MB might not have felt the need to have Hamilton in place of Schumacher.
If I was MB management I would not want a hear all the negativity about the car all the time. How would this negativity be of any value from a promotional side? I dare say it would be harmful to the brand. Almost every post from a Schumacher supporter blames the car for Schumacher's poor results over the past three seasons. I see MB are currently sitting 5th out of 12 teams so that makes the car better then half of the cars in the field yet I don't hear any moaning coming form the smaller teams's fans. Perhaps this fan outrage at the car is a bit of a cover for dissapointment in Schumacher himself for his inability to live up to the reputation built up over the years of winning in the best car with ....

Edited by SlateGray, 23 November 2012 - 21:39.