* * * * - 9 votes

Michael Schumacher - Part III

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2749 replies to this topic

#2351 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 2,599 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 23:36

Goodbye Michael :up: It will lonely without you. Can't think of a driver who can fill that huge gap for me. I love the sport, will watch all races next year but something will be missing. Even with that dog of a car it was a pleasure to had you on the grid for three years. Will never forget the tears in my eyes after France 1996 and Michael retiring on the installation lap. Thank you for so much memories. Thank you guys for this thread see you here at ROC :up:

Advertisement

#2352 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:59

I enjoyed the 3 years, because they showed one thing. He was racing because he loves racing. And one can only be impressed by his work style, professional and 100% up to the final lap. I must say my opinion changed from dislike to huge respect in the last 3 years.

#2353 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:20

I enjoyed the 3 years, because they showed one thing. He was racing because he loves racing. And one can only be impressed by his work style, professional and 100% up to the final lap. I must say my opinion changed from dislike to huge respect in the last 3 years.

:up: I love it when some opinions about Michael are turned around in this way. This aspect of Michael was always there.

#2354 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,644 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 15:31

:up: Its really nice of you to post something like that, it makes me feel that actually Michael did achieve something worthwhile with this comeback. Apart from his pace what drew me to Michael in his first career was his fearsome work rate and desire to win, but those likeable qualities were always there as well and I think the fans that followed him could see them. Its nice that a more rounded version of Michael has been presented this time. He was never quite as severe as parts of the press made him out to be though.

Posted Image

#2355 rallye3

rallye3

• 60 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 15:54

Says Here that Schumi has signed a deal as a test driver - but not of what

http://www.sbs.com.a...n-at-career-end?

#2356 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 16:32

:up: Its really nice of you to post something like that, it makes me feel that actually Michael did achieve something worthwhile with this comeback. Apart from his pace what drew me to Michael in his first career was his fearsome work rate and desire to win, but those likeable qualities were always there as well and I think the fans that followed him could see them. Its nice that a more rounded version of Michael has been presented this time. He was never quite as severe as parts of the press made him out to be though.

Posted Image

Today I would agree with you. I think at the end of his first career I disliked him because he was "so successful and also because of the constant media hype here in Germany, which I could no longer stand. But compared to the current top drivers, I see Schumacher as a real man now. He will give everything and he will take what is thrown at him, not s spoilt whining brat like some current drivers. He never complaint about having to do PR work, he was always friendly to the fans and I must say his final words to his fans really touched me. I see my former favourite current driver in a very different light now.

#2357 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 20:10

Today I would agree with you. I think at the end of his first career I disliked him because he was "so successful and also because of the constant media hype here in Germany, which I could no longer stand. But compared to the current top drivers, I see Schumacher as a real man now. He will give everything and he will take what is thrown at him, not s spoilt whining brat like some current drivers. He never complaint about having to do PR work, he was always friendly to the fans and I must say his final words to his fans really touched me. I see my former favourite current driver in a very different light now.

...yet some of us recognized those qualities in him since dawn of time so to speak, but had really tough time to convince rest of the crowd about it. :D

Human eye is not always best observer, and what we see is not always what it seems, lex parsimoniae notwithstanding, and if Schumacher says I didn't do it on purpose, you better think about, because he will accept responsibility if he knows that he is in wrong. In twenty years that hasn’t changed with him.

#2358 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,352 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 21:58

That sounds slightly interesting! Which manufacturer will it be, Merc or Pirelli?

#2359 Fildischum

Fildischum

• 72 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:39

Uhmm, interesting. Maybe he's coming back in 2014 after all. He wants to drive an f1 from time to time so he will stay updated of the current and upcoming regulations.. Oh well, wishfull thinking. :drunk:

Advertisement

#2360 bsrf1

bsrf1

• 81 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:52

I was hoping that Mercedes would have a car for him to challenge at least in 2012. For some unknown reason they have not been able to produce the faster and reliable car. They seemed to have looked away well before lewis come in. It is good for future reasons, but I believe Michael desereved more from them. Not sure if he would stay with Merc or go back to his home (Ferrari) though. I do not think he would prefer Ferrari at this point of time with Alonso at heml and friend degraded to No.2 driver.

#2361 KirilVarbanov

KirilVarbanov

• 839 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:25

Posted Image

#2362 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,476 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:27

Just a glitch in the Matrix.

#2363 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 2,961 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:57

Rumour has it he will be the Pirelli test driver.

#2364 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:58

Rumour has it he will be the Pirelli test driver.

Jesus I hope not.

#2365 Mr2s

Mr2s

• 794 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:46

Well that goes down as one of the worse comebacks from a sportsman, but he seemed far more relaxed and approachable this time around. His legacy wasn't spoilt this time but by retiring the first time around, when he and Kimi could have provided all F1 fans with much needed entertainment between 2 equal cars.

#2366 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:02

In his first retirement he was really tired. Now he is not tired, he just lost trust in MGP and maybe new F1. This what I blame MGP the most, killing his desire to continue. Little bit better car and more reliable car, I am sure he would stay.

#2367 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 13:35

In his first retirement he was really tired. Now he is not tired, he just lost trust in MGP and maybe new F1. This what I blame MGP the most, killing his desire to continue. Little bit better car and more reliable car, I am sure he would stay.

IMO, MGP aren't the only ones to blame for his loss of desire.

Have you been reading the autosport driver ratings from race to race? Have you seen the typical rating Michael gets? Even last race, Rosberg's performance was rated more highly than Michael's!!

Look at the penalties Michael has gotten. Look at the comments he has to put up with from race commentators and F1 pundits. Not many have been supportive. Yes, Michael has demonstrated incredible tenacity with putting up with this sort of thing from the media. However, when this sort of slur is bleeding out through the commentating by previous F1 racers, the race steward's penalties and such, it does become tiring. Every step of the way, there seems to be a hunt for reason to criticise. It's completely understandable if he no longer feels welcome. He simply cannot ignore it at this stage of his career. The only thing that would have dulled the impact of this side of his return would have been ontrack success and he needed a capable team for this.

#2368 Mr2s

Mr2s

• 794 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 13:50

Have you been reading the autosport driver ratings from race to race? Have you seen the typical rating Michael gets? Even last race, Rosberg's performance was rated more highly than Michael's!!

Look at the penalties Michael has gotten. Look at the comments he has to put up with from race commentators and F1 pundits. Not many have been supportive. Yes, Michael has demonstrated incredible tenacity with putting up with this sort of thing from the media. However, when this sort of slur is bleeding out through the commentating by previous F1 racers, the race steward's penalties and such, it does become tiring. Every step of the way, there seems to be a hunt for reason to criticise. It's completely understandable if he no longer feels welcome. He simply cannot ignore it at this stage of his career. The only thing that would have dulled the impact of this side of his return would have been ontrack success and he needed a capable team for this.

Not true, The F1 pundits have still hyped him up and talked about him in more positive light than the more successful comeback driver Kimi.

He didnt get a penalty in Valencia when he opened his DRS under yellows to gain an advantage.

#2369 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 13:59

Not true, The F1 pundits have still hyped him up and talked about him in more positive light than the more successful comeback driver Kimi.

He didnt get a penalty in Valencia when he opened his DRS under yellows to gain an advantage.

No problemo with the disagreement. I couldn't disagree with your POV more. :)

#2370 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 2,961 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 14:22

No but their knives were more than sharpened after Singapore.

Rosberg did a similar thing and barely a thing was uttered.

Schumacher LAPS his team mate at his last ever race.and Rosberg still gets rated higher by Autosport?

They're just doing it to sell copies.

#2371 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 14:47

Let me get this straight?
You say that he retire because bad comments from some race commentators and F1 pundits? :lol:
Because of the penalties? :lol:
Because of some ratings? :lol:
He feels unwelcome? :lol:
I guess you don't know Michael Schumacher I am talking about.

On the other side bad car and bad team , did him thinking I guess. He is not there just to cover miles. And he didn't see light at the end of the tunnel.
I guess according to you some driver can walk in W03 and win last 6-7 races? Who is that guy?

Edited by ivand911, 29 November 2012 - 14:48.

#2372 sharo

sharo

• 1,772 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 15:06

Who is that guy?

I know but will not tell :smoking:

#2373 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 15:21

Let me get this straight?
You say that he retire because bad comments from some race commentators and F1 pundits? :lol:
Because of the penalties? :lol:
Because of some ratings? :lol:
He feels unwelcome? :lol:
I guess you don't know Michael Schumacher I am talking about.

On the other side bad car and bad team , did him thinking I guess. He is not there just to cover miles. And he didn't see light at the end of the tunnel.
I guess according to you some driver can walk in W03 and win last 6-7 races? Who is that guy?

No, no. I'm saying that a bad car wasn't the only thing. That's all. The main thing, sure, but not the only thing. I bring in other factors and now you're implying that I'm saying these factors are the only factors. Of course, they aren't.

#2374 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 1,367 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 15:36

Yet, Webber had a higher top speed on that same stretch every time they came there during the yellows. There is a screenshot somewhere. Everytime Schumacher slowed for that yellow flag corner. He lost the time he gained during the lap. So, Webber could stay on his tail due that Schumacher acknowledging the yellow flags, while Webber didn't.

The F1 pundits burned him for every crash or misheap. Even a weavering Senna in a braking zone wasn't Senna's fault. I can list a whole number of things were penalties were very harsh and other drivers got nothing for similar situations.

#2375 Mr2s

Mr2s

• 794 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 16:04

Yet, Webber had a higher top speed on that same stretch every time they came there during the yellows. There is a screenshot somewhere. Everytime Schumacher slowed for that yellow flag corner. He lost the time he gained during the lap. So, Webber could stay on his tail due that Schumacher acknowledging the yellow flags, while Webber didn't.

The F1 pundits burned him for every crash or misheap. Even a weavering Senna in a braking zone wasn't Senna's fault. I can list a whole number of things were penalties were very harsh and other drivers got nothing for similar situations.

Im pretty sure the pundits started making excuses for him the moment he ran into the back of Vergne and agreed when he started to make his usual excuses about the car being at fault. He later admitted it was his fault.

#2376 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 16:08

Indeed. If you don't pay attention, you'll miss a lot of things. Plain and simple.

#2377 mkoscevic

mkoscevic

• 629 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 16:18

Just a glitch in the Matrix.

:lol: :up:

#2378 baddog

baddog

• 23,332 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 18:28

Michael has driven better than Kimi this year. A LOT better in the first half, about the same in the second. The Lotus has been an awesome car. Which is damned good going from Kimi by the way right back from a break.

In Valencia they investigated an incident which didn't even break any rule so did not warrant an investigation. For any other driver they would not have even discussed it, they would have told mark to grow the hell up and get out.

#2379 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,413 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 22:52

Kimi is off topic here, thanks.

Advertisement

#2380 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,133 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 22:55

It´s really sad he didn´t win Monaco because of a crash in the previous GP. It would have been legendary, pole+win in Monaco for the last time. I think he would have done it.

#2381 MSCDesign

MSCDesign

• 112 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 22:58

Nope. Michael 8/10, Rosberg 7/10.
For other things u wrote, I won't even comment. Just this: come with facts.

#2382 AJFIN

AJFIN

• 119 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 23:06

Nope. Michael 8/10, Rosberg 7/10.
For other things u wrote, I won't even comment. Just this: come with facts.

Nope. 7 for Michael, 8 for Nico.

#2383 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,625 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 00:51

Unknown blog, but where the heck did this come from?

Schumacher admits to have signed a test driver contract

#2384 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:06

AMuS : Michael 8 and Nico 5. :)
So, Michael wins 15 to 13 for both ratings. ;)

Edited by ivand911, 30 November 2012 - 08:06.

#2385 george1981

george1981

• 714 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:30

Unknown blog, but where the heck did this come from?

Schumacher admits to have signed a test driver contract

That would be interesting, and being the Pirelli test driver he would actually get to drive the car.
It would be funny if in a few years time when eligible MS starting turning up for one of the teams at the young drivers test.

#2386 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,352 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 14:22

No but their knives were more than sharpened after Singapore.

Rosberg did a similar thing and barely a thing was uttered.

Schumacher LAPS his team mate at his last ever race.and Rosberg still gets rated higher by Autosport?

They're just doing it to sell copies.

Who writes these rating articles?

#2387 MSCDesign

MSCDesign

• 112 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 14:35

Anything wrong with your eyes?
Posted Image

#2388 rallye3

rallye3

• 60 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 14:37

So he's going to be testing go karts for Tony Kart. I thought it might be something a bit more exciting.

#2389 MSCDesign

MSCDesign

• 112 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 14:37

Who writes these rating articles?

Some di*khead called Edd Straw.

#2390 Lelouch

Lelouch

• 608 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 14:38

Anything wrong with your eyes?
Posted Image

No a lot of people got confused because of this:

Brazil
9- Hulk, Massa, Alonso, Hamilton, Button, Vettel
8- Rosberg, Petrov, Glock
7- Webber, Kimi, Schumi, Ricciardo, JEV
6- Kobayashi, Kovalainen, Pic, de la Rosa, Karthikeyan
5- Senna, Perez, Grosjean
4-Maldoado
3- di Resta

Rating will follow but Alonso/Vettel/Hamilton is the top 3 in that order

from the Autosport driver ratings 2012 thread. Thanks for the clarification! :up:

#2391 MSCDesign

MSCDesign

• 112 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 14:39

So he's going to be testing go karts for Tony Kart. I thought it might be something a bit more exciting.

Is testing tyres for Pirelli exciting?
For Mercedes he would never be a test driver, as he would never push out Sam Bird with who he is a very good friend. And he can't be a test driver in F1, that would just prove he wasn't ready to retire.

#2392 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,644 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 15:19

I think thats fantastic if true - surely it just means that Michael is going back to the roots of his passion? He can do pretty much anything he wants in motorsports - he wants a return to the grass roots basics.

#2393 AJFIN

AJFIN

• 119 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 15:38

Yes, I just read the Autosport ratings from this forum, not the magazine. I thought MSC getting a lower rating after lapping Rosberg would have been laughable. Thanks for the clarification, and being rude.

#2394 schubacca

schubacca

• 796 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 15:58

I agree with Ali, that a lot of pent up resentment against MS seemed to have been released in his second career.

Eddie Jordan tipped him as a WDC contender in 2010. People were excited.

However, once things did not go his way many of the old grudges started to appear.

From the snickers of DC when MS's car let go, to the amping up of race accidents to make it sound as if MS was a geriatric driving on a racetrack, every MS misstep was used by certain parties to somehow attempt to diminish what he accomplished in his first career.

Mechanical issues were glossed over. The lack of a title-contending car dismissed. It was MS's fault that he was not going well.

Passes using DRS were given the same weight as those done through sheer balls a decade earlier. It was not a sign of a man not fit to race in F1.

Youth must be served. F1 is FA, SV, LH's game now. But remember that:

FA stated that MS would win 3 races in a Sauber in 2012

SV calls MS his idol, not AS.

and LH could not pass MS for what appeared an eternity in Monza 2011.

He was not what he was, but I still shudder to think what he would have done in a Red Bull.....

#2395 rallye3

rallye3

• 60 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 16:19

Is testing tyres for Pirelli exciting?
For Mercedes he would never be a test driver, as he would never push out Sam Bird with who he is a very good friend. And he can't be a test driver in F1, that would just prove he wasn't ready to retire.

I guess you're right. Selfishly I just still wanted to see him around F1.

#2396 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 18:38

Ahh Michael, Michael. He wanted to take time after Brazil and think before he decides what to do, and now this? How he can work with Mercedes (AMG group?), and while associated with Pirelli, regardless how limited that association could be. For me this is all very confusing, and something is not adding up about the headline regarding consultation work for Pirelli.

#2397 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,352 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 20:22

Ahh Michael, Michael. He wanted to take time after Brazil and think before he decides what to do, and now this? How he can work with Mercedes (AMG group?), and while associated with Pirelli, regardless how limited that association could be. For me this is all very confusing, and something is not adding up about the headline regarding consultation work for Pirelli.

You missed the info about Schumacher having a testcontract for a karting team, not Pirelli or Merc?

#2398 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 22:17

You missed the info about Schumacher having a testcontract for a karting team, not Pirelli or Merc?

Probably I did.

#2399 MSCDesign

MSCDesign

• 112 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 22:53

For me Michael was not ready to leave F1.
Being tired, and being at the "red zone" is the biggest bullshit I heard from Michael.

Advertisement

#2400 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,352 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 00:27

For me Michael was not ready to leave F1.
Being tired, and being at the "red zone" is the biggest bullshit I heard from Michael.

A guy at 43 years old fitnessing like 5 hours a day of which 3 hours are spent on cycling to keep the blood flowing in the right direction, lonewolfing around to get the best from a dog of a car and end up somewhere between p7 and 11? Why wouldn't it be credible, after 3 years?

Probably I did.

No probs!

Edited by Jejking, 01 December 2012 - 00:27.