* * * * - 9 votes

Michael Schumacher - Part III

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2749 replies to this topic

#2501 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,224 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 18:50

For one, I will be rooting against Mercedes.

I'm not only losing interest in F1 because of MSC's absence, but also because of cars that are ugly as sin, underpowered, engine freezes, concrete runoffs, ridiculously overbearing stewarding, DRS, KERS, tire/fuel economy runs...did I mention how ugly the cars are? :well:

Easy solution : switch to NASCAR :drunk:

Advertisement

#2502 kpchelsea

kpchelsea

• 249 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 20:00

OT

Edited by kpchelsea, 06 December 2012 - 20:02.

#2503 baddog

baddog

• 23,370 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 20:16

Watch every race and available session as I always have these 35 years or so. I shall just care a little less about the outcome for a while, but my interest is wide and depends in no way on one person.

#2504 kpchelsea

kpchelsea

• 249 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 20:23

I see the car issue being raised again...

Ok here's my take....

1994: Benetton had the better car for most part, UNTIL second half when Williams sorted the issues out, then it was slightly better in speed and pace.

1995: Williams had the better and quicker car, look at the pole positions, DC who isn't the best qualifier, had five. Hill had 7, right? B195 was quite nervous at the rear and could slip anytime (Imola 1995 when Schu hit the wall hard in Practice I believe) still he was showing his skills that year why he became the 1994 World Champion, his race craft was legendary that season (Spa '95 being a hallmark and Spain '95 was quite good) DC and Hill were simply not good enough for that car. If Schu was in the '95 Williams, it would be like 2002 all over.

1996: Worst Ferrari he drove (Spain 96; enough said, no driver except for Fernando Alonso in Sepang '12 can pull a victory in a car at the start of the season).

1997: Williams AND Benetton were better cars like this year, McLaren and Red Bull were clearly better. Don't put off JV, he was a very good driver, but he made it tough on himself in his second year. If he were at his 2000-2001 level in '97, he would have had it better. But '97 Schumacher was supreme much like Alonso in '12.

1998: MIka and McLaren by far the better car. Schumacher felt, he had a quick car that year and would have won the championship, IMO if it was not for SPA 1998 (Which was going to be better than any Spa drive he put forth including Spa 95). He was what, 2 seconds faster? Japan was also a blunder on his part, but he would have won it? perhaps.

1999: McLaren and Ferrari were roughly equal. Mac Faster in qualy as shown.

2000: McLaren was the better and faster car. Look it up, 14 out of 17 faster laps..... Prime Schumacher in 2000.

2001: Best car.

2002: Obvious.

2003: Ferrari was slightlybetter than on Williams and Mac, but the tires were the difference in speed for Mac and Williams

2004: obvious...

2005: Tires.

2006: Alonso had the better car, I would say, or equal after Monaco.

In 2006 Alonso had the best car in the first half of the season, Schumacher the best car in the second half of the season

#2505 kpchelsea

kpchelsea

• 249 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 20:26

And to say Michael was not a good qualifier is very silly. Had the old format (12 lap) was in place through 2006, he would have 80 poles by then.

Schumacher mk1 was an exceptional qualifier

#2506 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 22:27

Watch every race and available session as I always have these 35 years or so. I shall just care a little less about the outcome for a while, but my interest is wide and depends in no way on one person.

In time after his first retirement, and then coming back, a lot of things happened; last three years was time of divided attention onto two generations, once I caught a glimpse of Vettel. I always thought that next to his family, I must have been among his first ten fans, since everyone was shooting him down (remainded me early Schumacher years). Well, rest is history. :p Michael however will be always remembered in good terms, no doubt about that.

#2507 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 23:15

Schumacher mk1 was an exceptional qualifier

One of my favorite laps. :)

#2508 mkoscevic

mkoscevic

• 634 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 00:01

Find a new driver to support?

I wish there was someone close to what he used to be, and still partially is, but i'm afraid no F1 driver at the moment is out there on the grid to fill that position.

Follow F1 with less passion?

This.

#2509 kpchelsea

kpchelsea

• 249 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 00:49

I wish there was someone close to what he used to be, and still partially is, but i'm afraid no F1 driver at the moment is out there on the grid to fill that position.

This.

I can think of Rosberg for starters

#2510 Cult

Cult

• 447 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:07

I can think of Rosberg for starters

Rosberg hasn't shown himself to be like Schumacher at all.

Better over the three years but Rosberg is not ruthless or quick enough during races, he's not able to challenge consistently in cars which aren't the best. It may be an unfair comment as times have changed but Rosberg is no Michael Schumacher, he's his own man.

Edited by Cult, 07 December 2012 - 02:08.

#2511 black magic

black magic

• 3,854 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:30

yeah dunno

kinda go with tifosiusa but then it didnt work when michael first walked away.

to start with will root for anyone but vettel and not cause I dont like but becasue we need someone else to win it.

want mercedes to tank in a petulant sort of way.

wish alonso well though we need some more changes in the big teams - give others a crack.

and as for the modern cars - the sort only a mother could like

#2512 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,332 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:33

I was a fan of Alonso after seeing him in his first race for Minardi - so will do what I did last time Michael retired, shift my focus there...although will never have the same "passion" as did when cheering for MSC.

#2513 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:33

For one, I will be rooting against Mercedes.

I'm not only losing interest in F1 because of MSC's absence, but also because of cars that are ugly as sin, underpowered, engine freezes, concrete runoffs, ridiculously overbearing stewarding, DRS, KERS, tire/fuel economy runs...did I mention how ugly the cars are? :well:

Throw in - only able to watch half the races and I'm there with you. I didn't lose interest in F1 last time Michael retired because I still loved the sport. Now I think I have only been watching it this past half season or so while Michael was around. There's a very good chance the start of next season will be something I only read about.

#2514 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:57

Will his son Mike Jr. try in F1? I hear he is doing carting , maybe after 1-2 years he will be in formulas. And he was using his mother family name?
I can't support Vettel as this seems like easy thing to do. I support Vettel only against Alonso. :p
I don't like easy, better fresh start.
I doubt I will write 7700 posts for any other driver.
The Precious!  ;)

Edited by ivand911, 07 December 2012 - 13:03.

#2515 AJFIN

AJFIN

• 120 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 13:29

Will his son Mike Jr. try in F1? I hear he is doing carting , maybe after 1-2 years he will be in formulas. And he was using his mother family name?
I can't support Vettel as this seems like easy thing to do. I support Vettel only against Alonso. :p
The Precious! ;)

Mick is 13, and MSC has said that young drivers should stay in karting as long as possible so I expect that Mick will move into single seaters 4 to 6 years from now (if at all).

#2516 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 13:39

The Precious! ;)

To prevent misunderstanding, I started support Vettel (as Michael some twenty years ago) even before he won his first an F1 race, nevermind having three times WDC on his belt. I definitely do not suffer from any syndrom, nor I am part of the crowd who attaches only to winners. In fact, in both cases I was exposed daily to a lot of ignorant, and relatively distasteful posts predicting grey future for both drivers. Then reality kicked in.

#2517 AJFIN

AJFIN

• 120 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 15:40

Posted Image

Good test today with Michael Schumacher!!!!

:rolleyes:

#2518 MSCDesign

MSCDesign

• 112 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 15:49

Posted Image

ohhh how ugly helmet!

#2519 AJFIN

AJFIN

• 120 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 16:03

I wonder what MSC will wear at the Race of Champions this year. Will he use Mercedes overalls, will he still have the Monster logo on his helmet etc? Or will he use his black and white suit that has only the logos of his personal sponsors as he did in 2007-2009?

Thank god the option of staying at Merc as a PR monkey like Hakkinen seems to be off the table.

Advertisement

#2520 MSCDesign

MSCDesign

• 112 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 16:24

I wonder what MSC will wear at the Race of Champions this year. Will he use Mercedes overalls, will he still have the Monster logo on his helmet etc? Or will he use his black and white suit that has only the logos of his personal sponsors as he did in 2007-2009?

Thank god the option of staying at Merc as a PR monkey like Hakkinen seems to be off the table.

I suspect the overall will be the one he had in 2007-2009 in kartings.Same as in above picture from Deutsche Vermogensberatung. For the helmet instead of Merc logo it could be the one from DV, like he had in 2007-09. And no monster but just blank.

But on the other side he still could have Merc logo, coz we are still in 2012 year...

#2521 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,217 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 17:35

Posted Image

"I never riding a bike again"

:) :up:

#2522 manmower

manmower

• 364 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 17:36

ohhh how ugly helmet!

Does anyone know what MS was riding?

#2523 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,661 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 17:42

I wonder if he will do DTM?

#2524 AJFIN

AJFIN

• 120 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 18:30

Well, he never said anything about RIDING bikes, just that he would never RACE with them again. :D Apparently it was just some sort of a promotional show with Monster Energy Drink.

#2525 kpchelsea

kpchelsea

• 249 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 20:02

Rosberg hasn't shown himself to be like Schumacher at all.

Better over the three years but Rosberg is not ruthless or quick enough during races, he's not able to challenge consistently in cars which aren't the best. It may be an unfair comment as times have changed but Rosberg is no Michael Schumacher, he's his own man.

Well personally i'm trying to understand what was special about Schumacher mk11, its easy to see what was special about Schumacher mk1

#2526 Number62

Number62

• 493 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 20:11

Does anyone know what MS was riding?

A Ducati Panigale

pic.twitter.com/dOBhfSjU

Lucky bugger.

#2527 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,217 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 20:13

Posted Image

It seems the location is Paul Ricard.

From left:

Espargaro, Mamola, Schumi, Cluzel and ... John McGuinness???

#2528 BetaVersion

BetaVersion

• 689 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 20:21

To prevent misunderstanding, I started support Vettel (as Michael some twenty years ago) even before he won his first an F1 race, nevermind having three times WDC on his belt. I definitely do not suffer from any syndrom, nor I am part of the crowd who attaches only to winners. In fact, in both cases I was exposed daily to a lot of ignorant, and relatively distasteful posts predicting grey future for both drivers. Then reality kicked in.

How did that happened in MSC's case? Internet was almost non-existant in 92-93 :p

Edited by BetaVersion, 07 December 2012 - 20:22.

#2529 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,217 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 20:27

+3

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Tarzaan, 07 December 2012 - 20:32.

#2530 Number62

Number62

• 493 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 20:29

Posted Image

It seems the location is Paul Ricard.

From left:

Espargaro, Mamola, Schumi, Cluzel and ... John McGuinness???

That's Keith Flint from the Prodigy on Schumi's left. (Walking)

#2531 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 20:40

How did that happened in MSC's case? Internet was almost non-existant in 92-93 :p

You are correct, but I used to buy a lot of magazines on weekly basis. In retorspect I am not sure why, for only technical literature was really interesting.

#2532 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,217 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 20:40

That's Keith Flint from the Prodigy on Schumi's left. (Walking)

Ok. You win:)

#2533 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,224 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 20:41

schumi looks positively hideous in bikers outfit :p

#2534 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 20:56

After twenty years at last I know what's wrong with him (if I am disregard his wardrobe), but he doesn't know how to retire. What a guy!

#2535 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,217 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 21:37

F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone: Schumacher should not have returned

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/104757

#2536 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 2,609 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 22:09

Well Bernie is just a mouth with Napoleon syndrome, when was the las time anyone listened to his impulsive chatter?

#2537 baddog

baddog

• 23,370 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 22:11

Yeah pathetic from Bernie really.. especially given what F1 has gained these three years from having him back.

#2538 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:36

I wish Ecclestone would elaborate what job he had on mind for Schumacher (in the past), or whether this is perhaps just another of those idle talks without any substance.

#2539 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 6,997 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:56

F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone: Schumacher should not have returned

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/104757

Well, Bernie is saying what is evident to most. I was not impressed either.

I used to love Schumacher but he is on my hate list since his most unprofessional tactics he did at the Brazilian Grand Prix. I was totally shocked by what he did. If anything, he should have made a token effort , if for no other reason than to show his Ferrari credentials.

That day, he tarnished and already tarnished record. I thought it was pretty pathetic the way he was trying to get camera time with Vettel after the race too.

Schumacher has always been partial in many ways - no wonder for me how he behaved in the Brazilian GP. And how he searched for the limelight with Seb after the race was okay in the first instance, but when he returned and again tried to steal some light from the new WDC even Vettel looked a little bit irritated and did not respond to Schumi but jumped on his car and "rodeoed" it instead.

Advertisement

#2540 z2z

z2z

• 295 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:01

Folks here is you to share your memory with Schumacher ... he might actually read it someday!!! ;)

http://www.sportingm...work.com/schumi

#2541 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 2,982 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:14

Schumacher has always been partial in many ways - no wonder for me how he behaved in the Brazilian GP. And how he searched for the limelight with Seb after the race was okay in the first instance, but when he returned and again tried to steal some light from the new WDC even Vettel looked a little bit irritated and did not respond to Schumi but jumped on his car and "rodeoed" it instead.

Too much psyco analysis for things that simply are not there Aditya.

Seb has never been understated in his admiration, support and friendliness towards Schumacher. In the Thurday press conference he was priasing Schu and in the aftermath he posed for photos and spoke greatly of Schumacher.

Anyway I hope this thread dies a dignified death.

#2542 Ragingjamaican

Ragingjamaican

• 639 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 14:50

One of my favorite laps. :)

Amazing!

Just look at his steering input, that was a beast of car aswell. Did that car have traction control? I know it was back into F1 in 2002, but I'm sure I've read that some cars brought it in a little later into the season, not sure though.

#2543 DutchCruijff

DutchCruijff

• 933 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 15:04

Rather poor analysis. It was understandable considering Schumacher was close behind that he'd take the opportunity to park up alongside, as opposed to wandering off, and congratulate him. Steal the limelight? He really did torture in his first career.

(The relationship goes a long, long way back)

And I didn't see him grabbing the limelight in '10 or '11?

#2544 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 6,997 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 15:22

Rather poor analysis. It was understandable considering Schumacher was close behind that he'd take the opportunity to park up alongside, as opposed to wandering off, and congratulate him. Steal the limelight? He really did torture in his first career.

(The relationship goes a long, long way back)

And I didn't see him grabbing the limelight in '10 or '11?

As usual you did not read my comment entirely. After the first heartfelt congratulation between the two Michael came again a second time - at which time Seb looked irritated and went to his car instead to rodeo it.

Of course Michael did not grab the limelight in '10 or '11, I never said that. But Michael did after his dismal 2012, after gifting Seb the 6th place - after "symbolically passing the baton", as it was touted. One last chance for Michael to be in the limelight that he craved so much - albeit not by his own merit.

Posted Image

Sadly this is the most enduring image of Michael in 2012. You see it posted in many articles, German, English and American media alike, time and again.

#2545 DutchCruijff

DutchCruijff

• 933 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 15:45

Posted Image

:)

#2546 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 16,933 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 15:48

As usual you did not read my comment entirely. After the first heartfelt congratulation between the two Michael came again a second time - at which time Seb looked irritated and went to his car instead to rodeo it.

Of course Michael did not grab the limelight in '10 or '11, I never said that. But Michael did after his dismal 2012, after gifting Seb the 6th place - after "symbolically passing the baton", as it was touted. One last chance for Michael to be in the limelight that he craved so much - albeit not by his own merit.

Posted Image

Sadly this is the most enduring image of Michael in 2012. You see it posted in many articles, German, English and American media alike, time and again.

You write it as if it's some official fact of the year :p
The most enduing image or moment in the year in my opinion was when Michael got fastest time at Monaco 2012. And he was fast in 2011 and 2010 also. The car was at that stage good enough for the times but not reliability, the pole was world class, and we saw potenitally the season and the sport was robbed of. Michael gave the season highlights good and bad in a unreliable at times fast car midway then slow reliablle car towards the end, operating at a age which remains to be seen if any of the current grid has his longivity.

If you could put forward a case where other drivers could of shined in the mercedes car better somehow then Schumacher and Rosberg, then you'll be on to something. Goodluck.

Edited by SeanValen, 08 December 2012 - 15:50.

#2547 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,504 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 16:34

Of course we could have some links for that image in various media as an "enduring image"?

So that the smell of BS can go away.

Edited by Diablobb81, 08 December 2012 - 16:35.

#2548 Urawa

Urawa

• 1,135 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 16:39

Posted Image

:lol:

I´ll miss this basic school psychology around here

#2549 SlateGray

SlateGray

• 6,122 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 16:51

If you could put forward a case where other drivers could of shined in the mercedes car better somehow then Schumacher and Rosberg, then you'll be on to something. Goodluck.

To make the case you only need to say these names: Alonso, Hamilton, Räikkönen, Vettel, Button, Villeneuve. it is a long list, no offense to Rosberg

#2550 Ragingjamaican

Ragingjamaican

• 639 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 16:59

Villeneuve? :drunk: