1 Jacques Villeneuve Canadian Williams-Renault 81
Schumacher with 78 points
2 Heinz-Harald Frentzen German Williams-Renault 42
3 David Coulthard British McLaren-Mercedes 36
4 Jean Alesi French Benetton-Renault 36
5 Gerhard Berger Austrian Benetton-Renault 27
6 Mika Hakkinen Finnish McLaren-Mercedes 27
7 Eddie Irvine British Ferrari 24

Why did Irvine finish 8th if Ferrari was the 2nd best car?

Advertisement

#2602 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,080 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 21:39

Yet Eddie nearly won the WDC in 1999...

The 1997 Ferrari simply was magic in the hands of Michael. It was likely the 3rd best given where Eddie had finished, much like Alonso in '12.

#2603 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,080 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 21:41

Pesky facts again

2006 WDC
1 Alonso 134
2 Schumacher 121

2006 WCC
1 Renault 206
2 Ferrari 201

Which season was it that Schumacher bested Alonso with equal cars?

Ok, if one considers Monza and Japan (Engine failures for both) and Hungary (both didn't score well, but drove pretty good, espeically Alonso in that race) it would be very close. I wonder what the actual number would be.

#2604 SlateGray

SlateGray

• 6,122 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 21:48

Maximum cherrypicking. Schumacher is more willing than Alonso to put everything on the line within the rules and Fernando knows that. Why does one think he is so careful with Schumacher ahead on the track?

Because of Schumacher's track record of resorting to unsporting tactics! Is this the reason?

Please show me the records for the season where Schumacher bested Alonso in equal cars.

#2605 SlateGray

SlateGray

• 6,122 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 21:50

If Irvine was not so bad that season the Ferrari would have been the best car

#2606 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,080 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 21:53

The best car?

In '97, Ferrari couldn't be the best car even if they tried.

I believe Michael would have probably won the title in the Benetton in '97 also. We know Berger and Alesi are not even close to his level of driving, maybe Alesi if he could have the mental strength stronger than he had it... Talented he was, very very talented, maybe more than Michael in some aspects.

Edited by George Costanza, 09 December 2012 - 21:55.

#2607 Cult

Cult

• 419 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 22:04

You have absolutely no evidence to back that opinion up :wave:

EDIT: plus that actually doesn't make any sense.

Edited by Cult, 09 December 2012 - 22:04.

#2608 Jimmy

Jimmy

• 382 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 22:24

IMO none of Schumacher's seasons where equal to or better then Alonso's 2012 season!

Agreed. It's amazing that people still like to play down just how quick Schumacher's cars were from 92-04. In 2005, we got to see what Schumacher was capable of in what was genuinely only the 3rd most competitive car, and in 2010, the 4th most competitive car. Wins? 0 (Indy doesn't count).

It's just the same with all those middle-aged Rossi worshippers who, for years, claimed Rossi could win on anything and was head & shoulders above everyone else, blah, blah, blah. He's been on a mid-pack bike for the past 2 years and he's been a mid-pack rider.

#2609 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,080 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 22:28

Agreed. It's amazing that people still like to play down just how quick Schumacher's cars were from 92-04. In 2005, we got to see what Schumacher was capable of in what was genuinely only the 3rd most competitive car, and in 2010, the 4th most competitive car. Wins? 0 (Indy doesn't count).

It's just the same with all those middle-aged Rossi worshippers who, for years, claimed Rossi could win on anything and was head & shoulders above everyone else, blah, blah, blah. He's been on a mid-pack bike for the past 2 years and he's been a mid-pack rider.

2005 was tires and we all know what happened in '10-12.

Getting a pole at Monaco in that Mercedes is something else...

We did see what he was truly capable of from 1996-2000... Anyone who denies that is quite frankly does not understand Schumacher's skill.

Edited by George Costanza, 09 December 2012 - 22:33.

#2610 Cult

Cult

• 419 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 22:33

1996 - third most competitive car - 3rd with 3 wins (Irvine finished 10th)
1997 - third most competitive car - 3rd with 5 wins (Irvine finished 8th)
2005 - third/fourth most competitive car - 3rd in the championship (Barrichello finished 8th behind the two Toyotas)

Sorry but you also must realise Schumacher was over 40 in 2010. Oldest driver to score a podium in 42 years since Black Jack (Jack Brabham). Very sorry but you're obviously carry a lot of dislike for Schumacher.

#2611 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 2,554 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 22:33

Perhaps you should rewatch the season 2005. In the third best car means at least four drivers had better cars. So third place in the WDC standing is a great effort. Or do you want him to win the whole thing in the third best car. And you should think about relative gaps. You can have a 4th best car which is able to fight for the win for time to time or 4th best car which is hopeless slow and even podiums are not likely. The mercedes of 2010 was such a car. Get home Jimmy, game is over here :rolleyes:

Edited by 1Devil1, 09 December 2012 - 22:35.

#2612 Cult

Cult

• 419 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 22:54

Just to actually use some numbers to disprove your (woeful) assertion:

Fastest Laps

Williams 9/17
Ferrari 3/17

Pole positions

Williams 11/17
Ferrari 3/17

Wins
Williams 8/17
Ferrari 5/17

Mechanical retirements
Williams 3
Ferrari 4

Accidents by title contenders
Villeneuve 4+DSQ
Schumacher 1+DSQ

Notice that Ferrari are closer on wins, points etc. which meant they better maximised their potential. Plus the accidents. Next time know what you're talking about before commenting :rolleyes:

#2613 iakhtar

iakhtar

• 182 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 23:38

I think Alonso is an amazing talent but a declining MS in 2006 was easily his equal. MS was so much greater in the earlier Ferrari days, you could feel the hunger and determination in his drives it was raw and aggressive, on and over the limit. His performances were just amazing constantly. After he retired for the first time I continued to follow Ferrari, KR and now Alonso to me they both lack something, I don't know what it is, I've tried following them but they haven't got the magic MS had.

#2614 SlateGray

SlateGray

• 6,122 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 00:26

Just to actually use some numbers to disprove your (woeful) assertion:

Fastest Laps

Williams 9/17
Ferrari 3/17

Pole positions

Williams 11/17
Ferrari 3/17

Wins
Williams 8/17
Ferrari 5/17

Mechanical retirements
Williams 3
Ferrari 4

Accidents by title contenders
Villeneuve 4+DSQ
Schumacher 1+DSQ

Notice that Ferrari are closer on wins, points etc. which meant they better maximised their potential. Plus the accidents. Next time know what you're talking about before commenting :rolleyes:

I use logic to support my assertion. If Irvine had only managed half the points of Schumacher Ferrari would have won the WCC. So the 97 Ferrari was actually the best car that season but this fact was masked by Irvine's under performance. Next time try using logic. :cool:

#2615 BetaVersion

BetaVersion

• 689 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 00:32

The best car?

In '97, Ferrari couldn't be the best car even if they tried.

I believe Michael would have probably won the title in the Benetton in '97 also. We know Berger and Alesi are not even close to his level of driving, maybe Alesi if he could have the mental strength stronger than he had it... Talented he was, very very talented, maybe more than Michael in some aspects.

I liked Alesi quite a lot. Imo, he was very talented too.

In which aspects you think he was more talented than MSC? That is a nice discussion.

Schumacher had worse cars than F2005 quite many times in the 90's

1996 - third most competitive car - 3rd with 3 wins (Irvine finished 10th)
2005 - third/fourth most competitive car - 3rd in the championship (Barrichello finished 8th behind the two Toyotas)

Sorry but you also must realise Schumacher was over 40 in 2010. Oldest driver to score a podium in 42 years since Black Jack (Jack Brabham). Very sorry but you're obviously carry a lot of dislike for Schumacher.

add 1992 to that too. He won(ok, a wet race) in a car that was 3rd/4th best as even Ferrari could be faster when power was utter important

Edited by BetaVersion, 10 December 2012 - 00:38.

#2616 SlateGray

SlateGray

• 6,122 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:05

Correction, pesky facts again...

1997 WCC:

1 Williams-Renault 123
2 Ferrari 102
3 Benetton-Renault 67
4 McLaren-Mercedes 63

Sorce: http://www.formula1....ults/team/1997/

Ferrari finished 35 points clear of third place Benetton-Renault and only 21 points behind WCC champions Williams-Renault the Ferrari was at worst the second best car and if you account for Irvine's under performance it is clear the car was about equal to the Williams.

#2617 black magic

black magic

• 3,838 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:11

by definition then wdc s drive the best cars.

outstanding analysis trolly

time to find another reason to live

#2618 TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA

• 142 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:27

I use logic to support my assertion. If Irvine had only managed half the points of Schumacher Ferrari would have won the WCC. So the 97 Ferrari was actually the best car that season but this fact was masked by Irvine's under performance. Next time try using logic. :cool:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You seriously think the 97 Ferrari was the best car that year?! That's hilarious.

The Williams was the best car by MILES and Villeneuve still made hard work of winning the title, Patrick Head even said as much...

"Of only Irvine had score more points..."

If only my aunt had balls shed be my uncle. You don't think the car being crap has something to do with Irvines point total? Schumacher was sublime that year and his unbelievable talent kept them in it...

#2619 TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA

• 142 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:18

Its a boring time of year, what can I say...

Advertisement

#2620 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,312 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:21

1997 the year Patrick Head was p!ssed with JV for not EASILY winning the championship in the car he had....

#2621 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:26

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You seriously think the 97 Ferrari was the best car that year?! That's hilarious.

The Williams was the best car by MILES and Villeneuve still made hard work of winning the title, Patrick Head even said as much...

"Of only Irvine had score more points..."

If only my aunt had balls shed be my uncle. You don't think the car being crap has something to do with Irvines point total? Schumacher was sublime that year and his unbelievable talent kept them in it...

He made hard work of it but wow he won it with a surprise pass of Schumacher for the race and points lead. That's the way to do it. What a great season!

Edited by halifaxf1fan, 10 December 2012 - 03:43.

#2622 MightyMoose

MightyMoose
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,085 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:42

Just a reminder guys & girls, this isn't a "fans" forum. Opposing views are welcome and expected. However, baiting & trolling are as unwelcome as ever, please assist us by reporting such posts & not responding.

I shouldn't need to go into massive details about what constitutes fair comment & what is baiting. It's pretty obvious where the line is. Please don't cross it.

Thank you
MM

#2623 Cult

Cult

• 419 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:14

Correction, pesky facts again...

1997 WCC:

1 Williams-Renault 123
2 Ferrari 102
3 Benetton-Renault 67
4 McLaren-Mercedes 63

Sorce: http://www.formula1....ults/team/1997/

Ferrari finished 35 points clear of third place Benetton-Renault and only 21 points behind WCC champions Williams-Renault the Ferrari was at worst the second best car and if you account for Irvine's under performance it is clear the car was about equal to the Williams.

So we're stuck at a crossroads, you wielding the 'Schumacher's teammates underperformed every single year so Schumacher probably had the best car' stick and me with the reality pen. It was nice discussing this with you but I don't need to prove to you that Schumacher was as good as I know he was, anyone who saw Spa 1992, Spain 1994, Spa 1995, Spain 1996, Hungary 1998, Suzuka 2000 etc. etc. will know how good Schumacher was :wave:

#2624 DutchCruijff

DutchCruijff

• 933 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:33

Pesky facts again

2006 WDC
1 Alonso 134
2 Schumacher 121

2006 WCC
1 Renault 206
2 Ferrari 201

Which season was it that Schumacher bested Alonso with equal cars?

Well if you read my post, it says "same car". The whole point was that Alonso doesn't have the mentally to keep up with a peak Schumacher in the same team. And funnily enough, he was at his utmost peak about 6 years before that. :)

#2625 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,315 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:01

Well if you read my post, it says "same car". The whole point was that Alonso doesn't have the mentally to keep up with a peak Schumacher in the same team. And funnily enough, he was at his utmost peak about 6 years before that. :)

Alonso in the same team as Schumacher now would be a win for Schumacher? Well, I think that age has advanced more so he would have had a tough time beating the Spaniard, who is at his peak now. For reference, Schumacher was at his peak TWELVE years ago. If I had to say anything about it, the perfect edge slid off him in 2003 where he was under massive pressure. It's not so much about the driving itself but more the pressure to keep nailing it and keep staying ahead, imho. The machinery overcame that in 2004 but at the end of that year he had some stuff happening indicating he wasn't the ultimate anymore. 2005 helped him in a certain way because he had to give up the title fight quite soon and so could race without the same pressure, but there were still more mistakes than in the years before. China, San Marino quali, f.e. In 2006 the pressure was really on because Alonso and Renault had the package to nail it from when the lights went off in Melbourne and Schumacher had to come back from behind. On pure speed and will he was at the same level or ahead of Alonso but the Spaniard kept his head cool and Schumacher didn't. He overcooked it in Melbourne, Monaco and Hungary and that cost him the WDC. Fair and square to Alonso, although both played it badly that year at times.

Edited by Jejking, 10 December 2012 - 12:12.

#2626 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,537 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 14:28

I love the fact that Michael is completely unable to stop racing.
Proves that underneath all the B.S. he's still a racer at heart.
http://www.autosport...e.php/id/104779

Also love that Sam Tremayne describes Keith Flynt as an endurance racer rather than multi-millionare Prodigy frontman! :rotfl:

#2627 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 6,895 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 14:53

I love the fact that Michael is completely unable to stop racing.
Proves that underneath all the B.S. he's still a racer at heart.
http://www.autosport...e.php/id/104779

Also love that Sam Tremayne describes Keith Flynt as an endurance racer rather than multi-millionare Prodigy frontman! :rotfl:

As far as I remember he promised Corinna that he would never go back to two-wheel racing - now it certainly looks like he is not going to keep his promise.

Edited by MightyMoose, 10 December 2012 - 14:57.
Removed: That's what I always admired about Michael: his complete honesty. <-- Last chance, stop the baiting.

#2628 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,466 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 14:58

As far as I remember he promised Corinna that he would never go back to two-wheel racing - now it certainly looks like he is not going to keep his promise.

Even for you standards that is low. You believe there was a promise about racing and yet you comment on a friendly track day.

At least with him out of the sport maybe his haters will find something else to hate.

Edited by MightyMoose, 10 December 2012 - 17:20.
Removed: Edited quote.... and "retarded".

#2629 DutchCruijff

DutchCruijff

• 933 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 14:59

Alonso in the same team as Schumacher now would be a win for Schumacher? Well, I think that age has advanced more so he would have had a tough time beating the Spaniard, who is at his peak now. For reference,

Huh? I'm talking about Schumacher '00 vs. Alonso '12.

#2630 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 6,895 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 15:10

Even for you standards that is low. You believe there was a promise about racing and yet you comment on a friendly track day.

There was a promise to Corinna concerning driving two-wheelers on a race track. It is dangerous, even if riding only "for fun". Michael has such racer instincts in him that he certainly won't hold back - even on a friendly track day, and McGuiness said as much.

On the other hand, I give you that - rodeo riding has probably as much potential to break your neck as two wheelers have.

So that is Michael - he won't be able to stay away from the thrill and I can fully understand that.

#2631 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 16:15

There was a promise to Corinna concerning driving two-wheelers on a race track. It is dangerous, even if riding only "for fun". Michael has such racer instincts in him that he certainly won't hold back - even on a friendly track day, and McGuiness said as much.

On the other hand, I give you that - rodeo riding has probably as much potential to break your neck as two wheelers have.

So that is Michael - he won't be able to stay away from the thrill and I can fully understand that.

I'm afraid that you're not the one being honest. He said he wouldn't race. He wasn't racing... period. It's quite simple really unless you wish to force a point, at all costs. Michael is always criticised for wanting to win at all costs. Looks like you're demonstrating this same attitude here by forcing a point, isn't it?

There are many dangers in this life, even when driving on public roads. He's probably safer having some fun on a race track than taking a ride on public roads. Mike Hailwood for instance?

#2632 stuck-in-first-gear

stuck-in-first-gear

• 1,851 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 17:15

That comment is just hilarious

I say: To hell with lame promises! A man's gotta go what a man's gotta do. Probably difficult for you to understand. And if you call that racing - popping wheelies on a straight line for a promo photo shoot - then it really is a waste of time to even read your posts.

Edited by MightyMoose, 10 December 2012 - 17:19.
- shame about the Mod editing :cry: <-- More editing.... yay!

#2633 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 2,935 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 17:18

A pair of legends.
Posted Image

#2634 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 17:49

A pair of legends.

A truly fine picture there. :cool:

#2635 F1Champion

F1Champion

• 2,922 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 18:26

Michael has retired, isn't active in F1 anymore, yet people are still trolling or have the same beef they have always had. The guy has come and gone and you're still flogging the same dead horse. Get a grip.

#2636 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,203 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 21:12

Schumacher, McGuinness, Mamola in all-star track day

“I mentally pinched myself as I followed out Randy Mamola, Michael Schumacher and a true gladiator in John McGuinness. That Espargaro kid is a bit of a handful too isn't he?” – Keith Flint.

http://www.crash.net..._track_day.html

#2637 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,315 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 21:48

Ah, well with those two in the same team I'm pretty sure about the outcome :)

#2638 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,080 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:14

If that were to happen,

I'd take Schumacher of 2000, although it would be close on some races, but I always thought Schumacher in 2000 had something else with him with his speed and craft.

I don't think Fernando could beat the 2000 Schumacher.... And I am a fan of Fernando, of course and Michael.

But I think Alonso of '12 would beat the 2003 Schumacher when his skills were on the downside somewhat compared to 2000, just a bit.

Edited by George Costanza, 11 December 2012 - 02:17.

#2639 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,312 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:06

I love, the fact that even though he is a legend himself, he is still a fan...just like the rest of us

"Coming here today I felt so proud to be able to turn my hand at riding a bike with guys I really admire," Schumacher explained.

"I can't begin to explain how much fun it was to ride the track with the likes of John, Randy, [endurance racer] Keith [Flint] and watching Pol Espargaro's huge talent."

Advertisement

#2640 Fildischum

Fildischum

• 72 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:25

I love, the fact that even though he is a legend himself, he is still a fan...just like the rest of us

Yeah, and he siad it himself that he wants to be remember as a fighter and not a legend. :up:

He must be really enjoying right now, he can do whatever he wants for the fun of it and not worrying anything else. Although i really want him to be in F1, but i got to say it makes me smile to see him happy after all he is just human like us at times even the simplest things would make us really happy.

#2641 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 2,554 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 18:16

I thought about a favorite list and non favorite list. Michael has such a long formula one story. It would be interesting to see what people think which were his "best" and worst moments.

Best race (except rain) : Hungary 1998
Best race comeback: Brazil 2006
Best wet race : Spain 1996
Best qualifying: Monaco 1996
Best overtake: Monza 1998 against Hakkinen
Best car he drove: Ferrari 2004
Best individual year: 1997
Best championship campagne: 2002
Best championship fight back: 2006
Best team mate: Nico Rosberg or Rubens Barrichello
Best championship rival: Hakkinen
Best track: SPA
Best record: 91 wins

worst car he drove: Mercedes W02
worst team mate: JJ Lehto
worst race: Hungary 2012
worst individual year: 2010
worst on track moment: Jerez 1997
worst championship rival: Villeneuve
worst track: Singapore

Edited by 1Devil1, 11 December 2012 - 18:16.

#2642 LiJu914

LiJu914

• 1,776 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 19:26

Just some of your categories:

Best race (except rain) : Spain 1994
Best race comeback: Nurburgring 1995
Best wet race : Spain 1996 or Spa 1997 or...
Best qualifying: Maybe Suzuka 1998
Best car he drove: Ferrari 2004
Best individual year: 1995 or 1997
Best championship campaign: 1995 (honourable mention 2000)
Best championship rival: Alonso
Best track: Canada

worst on track moment: Jerez 1997
worst championship rival: Does DC qualify as a WDC-rival in 2001?
worst track: China (in dry conditions)

Edited by LiJu914, 11 December 2012 - 19:26.

#2643 f1rookie

f1rookie

• 254 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 21:06

Michael Schumacher rides at the Paul Ricard Circuit

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

More Photos - http://www.formula1o...aul-ricard.html

#2644 SlateGray

SlateGray

• 6,122 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 21:23

I thought about a favorite list and non favorite list. Michael has such a long formula one story. It would be interesting to see what people think which were his "best" and worst moments.

My Favorite Schumacher race is France 2004 the famous four stopper to beat Alonso. It was a real nice job by the entire team including Rubens who nipped the sleeping Jarno Trulli on the last corner of the last lap. Schumacher was just fantastic that day, Ross figured out the only way to beat Alonso was the perfect four stopper and Schumacher was faultless in his execution of the plan, pure magic!

#2645 Claudius

Claudius

• 2,277 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 21:28

My Favorite Schumacher race is France 2004 the famous four stopper to beat Alonso. It was a real nice job by the entire team including Rubens who nipped the sleeping Jarno Trulli on the last corner of the last lap. Schumacher was just fantastic that day, Ross figured out the only way to beat Alonso was the perfect four stopper and Schumacher was faultless in his execution of the plan, pure magic!

Wow Slate, praise for MS. I'm stunned!
But good to see :)

#2646 Claudius

Claudius

• 2,277 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 21:33

There are many great moments to mention them all.

But the worst for me are Monaco 06 parking and Hungary 10 with Rubens.
Both incidents were awful...

Edited by Claudius, 11 December 2012 - 21:35.

#2647 BiH

BiH

• 2,305 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 22:04

So Schumacher's test bike was Mercedes GP branded Ducati Panigale.
Guess Schumacher will be staying with Mercedes going forward.

Posted Image

Edited by BiH, 11 December 2012 - 22:17.

#2648 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 2,554 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 22:23

So Schumacher's test bike was Mercedes GP branded Ducati Panigale.
Guess Schumacher will be staying with Mercedes going forward.

A branded Mercedes Ducati. Audi is not happy about that :lol:

#2649 AJFIN

AJFIN

• 119 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 22:46

He's still under contract. I hope he'll ditch everything that has something to do with Merc come January.

#2650 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,080 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 00:08

Actually it was Luca Baldisserri who had that idea in mind and Ross agreed and supported that.

And I always thought French 2004 was one his best races ever, top 5.