* * * * - 9 votes

Michael Schumacher - Part III

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2749 replies to this topic

#2651 exmayol

exmayol

• 554 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:12

Unlike many here I don't like France 2004. To me it was more of a "look we are so superior that we can even win with 4 stops" kind of a deal. I prefer Hungary 1998 ;)

Advertisement

#2652 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,415 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:18

Unlike many here I don't like France 2004. To me it was more of a "look we are so superior that we can even win with 4 stops" kind of a deal. I prefer Hungary 1998 ;)

I don't think Barrichello could have done the 4 stopper.... nor any other driver in 2004 could have done it either.

#2653 vlado

vlado

• 195 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:23

Best MS moment for me is when he won his first championship with Ferrari.. I was watching on RaiUno I believe.. I remember it so well.. it felt like the whole world was waiting for that moment.

A branded Mercedes Ducati. Audi is not happy about that :lol:

VW will have a talk with Audi.. and they might talk to Merc..

#2654 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,433 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:51

My Favorite Schumacher race is France 2004 the famous four stopper to beat Alonso. It was a real nice job by the entire team including Rubens who nipped the sleeping Jarno Trulli on the last corner of the last lap. Schumacher was just fantastic that day, Ross figured out the only way to beat Alonso was the perfect four stopper and Schumacher was faultless in his execution of the plan, pure magic!

A POSITIVE word about Schumacher? I think I'm going to notify Buttoneer since I suspect your account was hacked :eek:

#2655 AJFIN

AJFIN

• 133 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 16:54

http://www.motorspor...two-years-todt/

Schumacher could race again 'in two years' - Todt

#2656 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,433 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 19:30

A couple of years vs two years. Great hanging up a French guy to a quote. Let's see what happens.

#2657 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 20:13

I have a feeling Michael could be racing again in a couple of days...

#2658 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 20:32

JT is probably refering to a buzz about Michael and his racing horses, an area where Michael's wife is so active.

#2659 sopa

sopa

• 3,215 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 21:16

I thought about a favorite list and non favorite list. Michael has such a long formula one story. It would be interesting to see what people think which were his "best" and worst moments.

Best race (except rain) : Hungary 1998
Best race comeback: Brazil 2006
Best wet race : Spain 1996
Best qualifying: Monaco 1996
Best overtake: Monza 1998 against Hakkinen
Best car he drove: Ferrari 2004
Best individual year: 1997
Best championship campagne: 2002
Best championship fight back: 2006
Best team mate: Nico Rosberg or Rubens Barrichello
Best championship rival: Hakkinen
Best track: SPA
Best record: 91 wins

worst car he drove: Mercedes W02
worst team mate: JJ Lehto
worst race: Hungary 2012
worst individual year: 2010
worst on track moment: Jerez 1997
worst championship rival: Villeneuve
worst track: Singapore

You have made some good choices.:) But I try to find other answers too to some questions.:)

Best wet race: Spain '96 is hard to beat, but China '06 impressed me massively. In Spain he had a perfect setup for the wet, but China was against odds. Also the ownage on the streets in Monaco '97. Rain at Monaco is always an immense challenge.
Best race comeback: Nurburgring 1995. He was 40 seconds (?) down after mid-race and looked sure to be without a shot at the win. I am stunned he still won.
Best qualifying: Monaco or any pole in 1996 was very impressive. Just watched Hockenheim 2004 on Youtube. "That was a stunner". I guess there are many good options.
Best championship fightback. I am also thinking of 1998. McLaren started out with two dominant wins. Then in mid-season Schumi got 3 consecutive wins, but again Hakkinen pulled away. Then at Monza Schumi caught Hakkinen again, despite the Spa fiasco.

Worst car: I guess W03. Couldn't even get points late in the season.
Worst team-mate: Lehto had the excuse of injury. But Verstappen was truly a rookie and out of his depth in a top team in such early stage of career.
Worst championship rival: Hill, because they had so many crashes together. Remember 1995.
Worst track: Singapore looks largely bad because Schumi has raced there only post-comeback. Let's think something from his I career. Maybe A1-Ring. Something went wrong there every time he raced. Even while winning ON MERIT in 2003 he had fire in the pits.

Edited by sopa, 13 December 2012 - 21:19.

Advertisement

#2660 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • In the running for best OP of 2014

• 3,436 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:02

My Favorite Schumacher race is France 2004 the famous four stopper to beat Alonso. It was a real nice job by the entire team including Rubens who nipped the sleeping Jarno Trulli on the last corner of the last lap. Schumacher was just fantastic that day, Ross figured out the only way to beat Alonso was the perfect four stopper and Schumacher was faultless in his execution of the plan, pure magic!

May have to agree here. :up: I started watching in mid-2003, so this win made a considerable impression upon me at the time, lol. Of my pick for MS's best wins, China 2006 comes close, though. That was an oddly emotional one, too--I had stayed up until 5:30 AM to see the conclusion of that race live, and in retrospect, I'm glad I did. For some reason, when I watched the podium ceremony, something told me that I was watching his last ever win. It was a bit of a bittersweet feeling, but at that moment--call me crazy if you want (it'd probably be accurate :p)--I had this very strong feeling that that was all there would ever be. Never been a race like that for me before or since, to be honest, so for my personal favourite win of his it would probably be China 2006.

I can't really speak for any of his pre-Monaco 2003 races, but judging by some of the comments here it looks like I've missed a lot, in many different respects. ;) Hard to say if I would've ever been a supporter of his if I had started watching at a different period of time...

#2661 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,433 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:03

I have a feeling Michael could be racing again in a couple of days...

Wooooooow. What can possibly make you think that? :eek:

:p

#2662 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,433 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 22:17

http://www.auto-moto...en-6297813.html

#2663 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 23:57

Has anyone noticed Michael's comments about Haug's departure? Our team theme appeared more than once, thus I gather he has not disolved all past ties with Stuttgart, despite that I am unable to envision him in any respectable role right now. Being an ambassador is fine, but he has too much energy left to do just that, and one can see that he is restless already.

Edited by Sakae, 14 December 2012 - 23:58.

#2664 weston

weston

• 370 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:36

Has anyone noticed Michael's comments about Haug's departure? Our team theme appeared more than once, thus I gather he has not disolved all past ties with Stuttgart, despite that I am unable to envision him in any respectable role right now. Being an ambassador is fine, but he has too much energy left to do just that, and one can see that he is restless already.

His contract is valid by the end of the year. As far as I understand he has no ambition for a managerial job and his future at Mercedes continues to be the subject of speculation. I expect Brawn to retire in a year. Schumacher could find himself alone with Lauda in one boat.

Edited by weston, 15 December 2012 - 02:37.

#2665 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:50

His contract is valid by the end of the year. As far as I understand he has no ambition for a managerial job and his future at Mercedes continues to be the subject of speculation. I expect Brawn to retire in a year. Schumacher could find himself alone with Lauda in one boat.

I might be falling into a trap when extrapolating my own exprience with this situation, but it is my opinion that any first-line managerial role of the team requires being close to the action, not interferring, but being available to face-to-face encounters, and having enough authority to move things forward in real time. Having said that, I am not so sure that Michael and his family are ready to move to Brackley, especially when he bought a ranch in Texas just recently.

Edited by Sakae, 15 December 2012 - 09:13.

#2666 apoka

apoka

• 3,570 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 15:56

That ROC nation cup win today was a nice end to MS' season! :up:

#2667 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,415 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 16:02

I think he wins the drivers cup...

#2668 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,482 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 16:04

I think he wins the drivers cup...

would be great :up:

#2669 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,415 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 16:06

would be great :up:

He should have won it in 2004 and 2011, but he was just beaten.

#2670 BoschKurve

BoschKurve

• 1,153 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 16:09

For some reason I have vivid recollection of the 2006 San Marino Grand Prix. It wasn't his best win by any stretch of the imagination, but the mental toughness he showed when Alonso was bearing down on him late in the race was stunning. It looked like Alonso was going to watch and pass him, and it was just a matter of when. Yet, it never happened. Alonso wound up going wide on worn down tires, and was not able to mount another attack after that. Michael just kept pushing and pushing.

#2671 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 16:26

For some reason I have vivid recollection of the 2006 San Marino Grand Prix. It wasn't his best win by any stretch of the imagination, but the mental toughness he showed when Alonso was bearing down on him late in the race was stunning. It looked like Alonso was going to watch and pass him, and it was just a matter of when. Yet, it never happened. Alonso wound up going wide on worn down tires, and was not able to mount another attack after that. Michael just kept pushing and pushing.

That was just a juicy payback on Michael's part when Alonso similarly held him off the year before with Alonso being put on a very high pedestal for it.

#2672 LiJu914

LiJu914

• 1,776 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 20:29

Why Schumacher will always be a special racer (premium account)

#2673 ali.unal

ali.unal

• 3,291 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 21:25

Schumacher was not sufficiently convinced by what he'd seen to immediately accept a three-year offer made to him and, as he hesitated, Hamilton's management – having failed to entice either Red Bull or Ferrari into signing its client – slotted him in, thereby leaving the seven-time champion rather hanging out to dry.

So Mercedes did offer him a 3-year deal. That's what Mark Hughes wrote.

#2674 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 2,645 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 22:11

When Hamilton decided to move to Mercedes McLaren should've signed Schumacher and that would've sealed another championship for him and a constructors championship for McLaren but as they've already proved they're useless at judging things. Sam Michael is a real bad omen and Martin Whitmarsh won't win anything.

#2675 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,415 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 22:13

When Hamilton decided to move to Mercedes McLaren should've signed Schumacher and that would've sealed another championship for him and a constructors championship for McLaren but as they've already proved they're useless at judging things. Sam Michael is a real bad omen and Martin Whitmarsh won't win anything.

That would have been something.... Schu in the McLaren? I agree, he would have been in the top 3 with Alonso and Seb in the championship and would have won.

#2676 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • In the running for best OP of 2014

• 3,436 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 22:26

That would have been something.... Schu in the McLaren? I agree, he would have been in the top 3 with Alonso and Seb in the championship and would have won.

If that's the case then they should've signed Rosberg, lol. Schu was easily amongst the best of all time during his prime, I think (dubious moments notwithstanding), but I also think that he wasn't going to be winning any championships on his comeback unless he had a clearly superior car.

Just my two cents, anyway.

#2677 AJFIN

AJFIN

• 133 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 22:29

If Mercedes were convinced that MSC could still deliver in 2015, there's still hope that he'll come back. Vettel goes to Ferrari in 2014, Webber retires, Alonso has a long contract with Ferrari, Rosberg and Hamilton are stuck at Merc, Button and Perez will happily stay at Macca, Kimi has no reason to leave Lotus, and the Toro Rosso drivers aren't ready to lead Red Bull, yet. Who will Horner call?

I'm half-serious.

#2678 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,415 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 22:30

If that's the case then they should've signed Rosberg, lol. Schu was easily amongst the best of all time during his prime, I think (dubious moments notwithstanding), but I also think that he wasn't going to be winning any championships on his comeback unless he had a clearly superior car.

Just my two cents, anyway.

If the W03 was capable of finishing races until Canada, he would have been leading the championship. Schu said this himself. Could have been a different summer for the development race had that occured.

Edited by George Costanza, 15 December 2012 - 22:32.

#2679 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,415 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 22:32

If Mercedes were convinced that MSC could still deliver in 2015, there's still hope that he'll come back. Vettel goes to Ferrari in 2014, Webber retires, Alonso has a long contract with Ferrari, Rosberg and Hamilton are stuck at Merc, Button and Perez will happily stay at Macca, Kimi has no reason to leave Lotus, and the Toro Rosso drivers aren't ready to lead Red Bull, yet. Who will Horner call?

I'm half-serious.

IF he does return, it will be with two teams: Mercedes or Ferrari. Nothing else. But I don't think he will be back.

Advertisement

#2680 AJFIN

AJFIN

• 133 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 22:35

You don't think he'd fancy a season or two with a Newey designed car that would almost guarantee him one last shot at the title?

#2681 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,415 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 22:38

You don't think he'd fancy a season or two with a Newey designed car that would almost guarantee him one last shot at the title?

He probably would have given that thought, but I do not see him there. But that's just me.

Edited by George Costanza, 15 December 2012 - 22:39.

#2682 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:27

No, I don't. :cool:

#2683 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:55

If Mercedes were convinced that MSC could still deliver in 2015, there's still hope that he'll come back.

Never say never, but I also doubt that. Too risky for all concerned for multiple reasons, if that affiliation would go flat for whatever of reasons.

#2684 DutchCruijff

DutchCruijff

• 933 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:26

IF he does return, it will be with two teams: Mercedes or Ferrari. Nothing else. But I don't think he will be back.

He doesn't owe anything to any of those teams. Mercedes produced shit car after shit car, Ferrari treated Massa like shit and made suggesting comments about his race in Brazil.

There will be opportunities for him to comeback in '14. I just don't think he'll comeback because he's already had 2 send-offs, though it shouldn't be a reason at all, which might be a bit embarrassing. He didn't want to leave F1, his supposed talks with Sauber and hesitance over signing a 3 year deal suggests so, so I think only a championship contending team (RB, Ferrari, Lotus) would entice a comeback. Strangers things have happened, Mansell did , and Prost + Lauda considered, a 3rd comeback.

#2685 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:15

Hmm I don't believe in a comeback but at least he'll be defending his title in the Race of Champions next year with Sebastian Vettel :)

"For sure we're going to be here, that's a must," said the 43-year-old, who retired from Formula One for the second time in November.
"Actually, my lucky number is seven so we are going to push hard."

#2686 pUs

pUs

• 2,543 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:21

Unexpected and nice Slategray :up: :)

Agree that it was a good race. Suzuka 2000 was also among his top wins I think, a lot of tension there.

#2687 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,433 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 13:42

Crossing fingers for another good result today. Who's with me! :D

#2688 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 14:02

Crossing fingers for another good result today. Who's with me! :D

Me. :p

#2689 BetaVersion

BetaVersion

• 689 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 23:25

Grosjean beaten MSC by half second with a 1.14.8 on individual tournament.

As I couldn't watch the Cup one, have MSC faced Grosjean on Saturday?

If so, he beaten him because the commentators were saying he(MSC) and Vettel were perfect untill their defeat to Grosjean, who would become this year's champion.

#2690 exmayol

exmayol

• 554 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:31

Grosjean beaten MSC by half second with a 1.14.8 on individual tournament.

As I couldn't watch the Cup one, have MSC faced Grosjean on Saturday?

If so, he beaten him because the commentators were saying he(MSC) and Vettel were perfect untill their defeat to Grosjean, who would become this year's champion.

Yes he faced RG on Sat in KTM XBOW car and won by 2 seconds. He also faced him earlier on Sunday and was also faster.

RG however won when it mattered the most.

#2691 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:05

Yes he faced RG on Sat in KTM XBOW car and won by 2 seconds. He also faced him earlier on Sunday and was also faster.

RG however won when it mattered the most.

If you go by what Vettel and Schumacher said, for them the teamcup matters the most.

#2692 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,433 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:09

Lol, that's easy record to fall back on :p

Grosjean did good yesterday when it mattered so no problem. I was rather surprised that Vettel caught himself out.

#2693 quidam

quidam

• 188 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:09

Big wake up for team Germany :smoking:

#2694 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,217 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 13:15

Video of Schumacher, Espargaro, Mamola, McGuinness and Flint having fun
Published on 17 Dec 2012 by Toni M.

http://www.twowheels...lint-having-fun

:wave:

#2695 KirilVarbanov

KirilVarbanov

• 851 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:41

His racing career tribute artwork:
Posted Image

Originally posted in ClubS1 magazine, Bulgaria. Author: Ivan Ivanov.

Edited by kvarbanov, 24 December 2012 - 02:27.

#2696 Zippel

Zippel

• 1,033 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:06

Hmm, they couldn't have picked a couple of his other cars besides the two which involved some of his more infamous moments? B195 and the F310, where he did some of his best work?

#2697 Pits

Pits

• 415 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:49

Video of Schumacher, Espargaro, Mamola, McGuinness and Flint having fun
Published on 17 Dec 2012 by Toni M.

http://www.twowheels...lint-having-fun

:wave:

Nice to see him have fun. :cool:

#2698 Urawa

Urawa

• 1,135 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 15:47

http://translate.goo...n_12122205.html

Sadly, we´ll never know.

#2699 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 2,912 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 15:55

I don't think it would have been possible. Nico was faster that weekend and China is not Michael favorite track. It's a shame their car were only capable on a track Michael really didn't like in the past. Imagine a strong Mercedes at Suzuka or Spa - I would have no doubt. Michael would have shown some magic. What I do not like is this undertone of Clear saying Michael was not the fastest driver of the last 20 years only because he worked with Hakkinen. Hakkinen was perhaps faster on one lap (knowing his performance against Senna) but can't see him above Michael in race pace. He was not able to push his car around the track in qualifying trim - that's for sure. The McLaren was superior and Michael took the WDC to the last race in 1998.

Advertisement

#2700 Urawa

Urawa

• 1,135 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 16:36

I don't think it would have been possible. Nico was faster that weekend and China is not Michael favorite track. It's a shame their car were only capable on a track Michael really didn't like in the past. Imagine a strong Mercedes at Suzuka or Spa - I would have no doubt. Michael would have shown some magic. What I do not like is this undertone of Clear saying Michael was not the fastest driver of the last 20 years only because he worked with Hakkinen. Hakkinen was perhaps faster on one lap (knowing his performance against Senna) but can't see him above Michael in race pace. He was not able to push his car around the track in qualifying trim - that's for sure. The McLaren was superior and Michael took the WDC to the last race in 1998.

Hm I´m not sure, they were within a tenth all weekend and it was just Q3 where Rosberg suddenly found a huge amount of time out of nowhere.
Clear seem to think Nico just got an amazing set of tyres.
tbh I don´t think his intention was to criticize Michael. His strenght were certainly the sundays and Clear is only talking about one-lap pace.