* * * * - 9 votes

Michael Schumacher - Part III

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2749 replies to this topic

#251 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 17:16

IMHO! Only place Schumacher will drive for Ferrari. I don't think Schumacher is going drive for World Championship anymore. But he will driving for Fun in a very competitive car that is capable for Winning Races. Any Schumacher fan wouldn't mind finishing right behind Alonso than driving in midfield in between rookies.

Schumacher has been the better driver than Rosberg in 2012, except for couple of shunts in Spain & Singapore. Ross Brawn stating "Schumacher didn't meet Mercedes expectations .. it should have been rephrased as "Mercedes didn't Schumacher's expectations" - 5 Mechanical failures in 7 Races at the start of the reason.

Unfortunately, I believe for the rest of the season; Mercedes is going to field an imperfect car for Schumacher so as to prove Rosberg is faster and they made the right choice.

Did RB really make such a statement??

It's quite often that drivers who fall out of favour with teams do not do as well. It's likely multifactorial, but I doubt that sabotage would suite anyone. Points count for cash inflow among other things. They'd be shooting themselves in the foot. Additionally, having Hamilton on the team is a great move on Mercedes' part. The question should be whether or not Hamilton made the wise decision... not Mercedes.

The issue is with the nature of Michael's exit and not the team competence/wisdom behind employing Hamilton.

Advertisement

#252 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

MS for sure didn't tell MGP that he will retire.
I don't think Sauber signed Jaime yet. This could change, Peter said today he is not in a hurry.

#253 Wheels23

Wheels23

• 385 posts

Where is he going to drive then? Apprently Sauber have singned JA anyway. So unless Kobayashi leaves there is no spce.

Well Kamui hasn't been that great this season.

Force India is possible, Williams as well but I have not seen anything about Alguersuari been signed by Sauber at all.

#254 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT

• 1,232 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 17:18

Either Williams or Sauber. The fact that the rest of the driver market hasn't just fallen into place (which you think it would if this had happened and there wasn't something else holding this up) makes me think that Schumacher is looking for a deal.

#255 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 17:20

Michael will put any team in spot lights. Will bring big fan base. Will sell merchandise. Sponsors. I guess you visited GPs, how many Sauber merchandise did you see? Something that Jaime and Bruno can't make. Bottas also.

Edited by ivand911, 28 September 2012 - 17:21.

#256 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,307 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 17:25

Michael will put any team in spot lights. Will bring big fan base. Will sell merchandise. Sponsors. I guess you visited GPs, how many Sauber merchandise did you see? Something that Jaime and Bruno can't make. Bottas also.

True when i was at the Mercedes merch stand at Silverstone it was all Schumacher stuff that being sold.

#257 GoRacing

GoRacing

• 291 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 17:32

I would rather see MS retire than race for Sauber or Williams. So it's Ferrari or retirement, as I said previously, Alonso would not allow Schumi to be his teammate and Ferrari would not take that risk either.

#258 PoliFanAthic

PoliFanAthic

• 641 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 17:39

Well, Williams is a team with quite a bit of history in F1...

#259 MCh000

MCh000

• 181 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 17:40

I think it would be a win-win situation for both parties.

Advertisement

#260 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 17:41

Michael moving to Ferrari without being able to test 10000 km before season would take huge risk. Ferrari, as much I do not know it today, but back when Michael was there, was a car that was not very easy to drive, and to think you just jump into it and run away is a pipe dream. I am sure that Michael knew it when Massa got hurt. This would be for him one of the potentially most perilous experiments he has ever undertaken.

#261 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 2,650 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 17:41

:rolleyes: That's pretty bad taste. Is Schumacher that unwanted that his best attributes are that of a pay driver? If so, hanging up the boots is more dignified.

The only driver who has under-performed to an extent worthy of being replaced by MSC are Massa and Bruno, but Bottas is fast, so why bother knobbling his chances so an older driver can have a final glory run? Jamie A. was better than Schumacher in 2011. No offence, but Schumacher isn't bringing any more talent than the midfield drivers Rosberg and lower these days, and doesn't really have a long term future in him anyway.

What I'm saying is, he may be equal to Hulkenberg, Di Resta, Grosjean etc. now, but he won't be getting faster like they will with more that 2 seasons experience.

Edited by Jimisgod, 28 September 2012 - 17:45.

#262 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 17:43

:rolleyes: That's pretty bad taste. Is Schumacher that unwanted that his best attributes are that of a pay driver? If so, hanging up the boots is more dignified.

The only driver who has under-performed to an extent worthy of being replaced by MSC are Massa and Bruno, but Bottas is fast, so why bother knobbling his chances so an older driver can have a final glory run? Jamie A. was better than Schumacher in 2011. No offence, but Schumacher isn't bringing any more talent than the midfield drivers Rosberg and lower these days, and doesn't really have a long term future in him anyway.

Yeah, F1 is bad taste. Deal with it. JA :rotfl: . Because nobody care about Bottas?

Edited by ivand911, 28 September 2012 - 17:45.

#263 rolf123

rolf123

• 2,331 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 17:44

Any chance of Schumi going to McLaren?

I know it was always written off and hence no speculation now...but why not? Everyone changes their mind.

#264 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 2,650 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 17:46

Yeah, F1 is bad taste. Deal with it. JA :rotfl: . Because nobody care about Bottas?

Seems Williams care more about him than Schumacher.  ;)

#265 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 17:46

Any chance of Schumi going to McLaren?

I know it was always written off and hence no speculation now...but why not? Everyone changes their mind.

No, they signed Perez.

Seems Williams care more about him than Schumacher. ;)

They signed him?  ;)

Edited by ivand911, 28 September 2012 - 17:51.

#266 rolf123

rolf123

• 2,331 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 17:51

No, they signed Perez.

Yikes just saw that! What are McLaren thinking?

They have JB who is erratic and now a young gun. Well...there go the days of McLaren being a top team.

Should've signed Schumacher....

#267 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT

• 1,232 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 17:51

What I'm saying is, he may be equal to Hulkenberg, Di Resta, Grosjean etc. now, but he won't be getting faster like they will with more that 2 seasons experience.

Grosjean I will accept, but if Di Resta was going to have a shot, it would have happened by now.

I thought Schumacher was doing well. Did a couple of years in a midfield team, posted some solid results that were more driver than car and made some mistakes.

The potential is definitely there. If only a top team would take a chance on this up-and-coming new talent :cool:

#268 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 18:04

There is one potential job not often mentioned - FiA

J. Todt used to, and might continue, like Michael, and wanted to create a role like that. Anyone for F1 commissioner more suited than our man? Michael is a man of global stature, and a such role would ensure continuity for him in that direction.

Edited by Sakae, 28 September 2012 - 18:05.

#269 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,203 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 18:08

I start to think that MS didn't wanted to continue with MGP. But why, what is the plan? He clearly want to stay in F1 ,but didn't sign with Merc? Why? I don't think the plan is to go to Sauber. There is only one strong team with available place for now.

Red Bull will need 2 new driver from 2014 (if the Vettel- Ferrari rumor true)

#270 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 18:12

How Sauber -VW sounds? :) I am getting desperate and not thinking what MS wants at all. I want him driving. It is early for pension. :cat: I am selfish.

Edited by ivand911, 28 September 2012 - 18:13.

#271 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 18:15

I start to think that MS didn't wanted to continue with MGP. But why, what is the plan? He clearly want to stay in F1 ,but didn't sign with Merc? Why? I don't think the plan is to go to Sauber. There is only one strong team with available place for now.

Have you read Sabine's comment? If my recollection is correct, she stated, that Michael pass on his option for 2013, because he wasn't sure if he wants to continue to drive. I have bone feeling if there were different tires and observable changes in car performance, than we would not have this exchange today.

#272 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 18:17

Have you read Sabine's comment? If my recollection is correct, she stated, that Michael pass on his option for 2013, because he wasn't sure if he wants to continue to drive. I have bone feeling if there were different tires and observable changes in car performance, than we would not have this exchange today.

Yes, but what it is - retirement or something he only knows.
Or I would think that MS was scarified , so Mercedes could stay in F1. Lewis is last chance for them.

Edited by ivand911, 28 September 2012 - 18:20.

#273 MSCDesign

MSCDesign

• 112 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 18:18

This for Mercedes OMG Petronas. Worst team, burn in hell!

Posted Image

#274 Urawa

Urawa

• 1,135 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 18:26

Sabine Kehm said on RTL Michael knew the decision already some days ago.
Would have been easy then to just announce the retirement before Mercedes announce Hamilton.
We can only guess why he choose not to do so...

#275 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Yes, but what it is - retirement or something he only knows.
Or I would think that MS was scarified , so Mercedes could stay in F1. Lewis is last chance for them.

I shall deffer my response perhaps for sometimes in the future. At the moment I am erasing my realtionship with Mercedes to nil-level. Very disappointed with them.

#276 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

There is one potential job not often mentioned - FiA

J. Todt used to, and might continue, like Michael, and wanted to create a role like that. Anyone for F1 commissioner more suited than our man? Michael is a man of global stature, and a such role would ensure continuity for him in that direction.

His idea of sportsmanship is way too ****ed up for him to become F1 commissioner.

It would be almost like Flavio Briatore being a Steward for the Singapore GP...

#277 schumimercamg

schumimercamg

• 315 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 18:29

This for Mercedes OMG Petronas. Worst team, burn in hell!

Posted Image

:up:

#278 schumimercamg

schumimercamg

• 315 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 18:29

I shall deffer my response perhaps for sometimes in the future. At the moment I am erasing my realtionship with Mercedes to nil-level. Very disappointed with them.

Sakae mate as always we have similar views. Who are we going to support now?! Think I'm gonna go with Vettel.

Edited by schumimercamg, 28 September 2012 - 18:32.

#279 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 18:30

Sabine Kehm said on RTL Michael knew the decision already some days ago.
Would have been easy then to just announce the retirement before Mercedes announce Hamilton.
We can only guess why he choose not to do so...

Thanks, I didn't catch that one. Would you know if Michael was told before Hungary? (And I do agree that from PR side, optics today weren't pleasing).

Advertisement

#280 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 18:34

Sakae mate as always we have similar views. Who are we going to support now?!

Well, ehmm, I have two horses in this race. When Michael left, I moved to BMW camp for a year, and then hooked up with Sebastian. (I like to root for a person, not an emblem, even if it is BMW). When Michael returned, I have tried to divide my loyality. :)

#281 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 18:37

His idea of sportsmanship is way too ****ed up for him to become F1 commissioner.

Not really.

#282 sharo

sharo

• 1,772 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 18:38

"Some fans' idea of Schumacher is way too ****ed up to be objective", could be said with equal success.

#283 Urawa

Urawa

• 1,135 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 18:38

Thanks, I didn't catch that one. Would you know if Michael was told before Hungary? (And I do agree that from PR side, optics today weren't pleasing).

I guess they told him before Singapore.
Additionally she said: "He´s not that unhappy with how things gone now".

Hard to say how to judge this.

Edited by Urawa, 28 September 2012 - 18:39.

#284 Sof1

Sof1

• 596 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 18:42

He knew the car is sh*t and will be sh*t in 2013. He doesn't have all that time to wait till 2014 to start building a championship winning car.

Thats why he didn't want to sign. he is probably betting on another team.

Edited by Sof1, 28 September 2012 - 18:42.

#285 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 18:43

Well, you guys are predictable.

You're not really fit to judge, even when MSC admits to making a mistake you always end up assigning the blame to someone else.

Schuey plows into someone else's gearbox and it's because a black polish kid opened a can of beans on the other side of the planet...

damn you butterfly effect.

#286 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 18:45

You're not really fit to judge, even when MSC admits to making a mistake you always end up assigning the blame to someone else.

Schuey plows into someone else's gearbox and it's because a black polish kid opened a can of beans on the other side of the planet...

You were saying?

#287 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 811 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 18:47

He knew the car is sh*t and will be sh*t in 2013. He doesn't have all that time to wait till 2014 to start building a championship winning car.

Thats why he didn't want to sign. he is probably betting on another team.

I'm going to make a crazy prediction. He'll go to Sauber and the car will have some innovation to dominate some races like Brawn in 2009. He'll win his 8th WDC, Sauber's first WCC and at the end of the 2013 season Audi will buy out Sauber. He'll tootle around F1 for a few more years before FINALLY retiring to join DTM in a few years with Audi. How's that for crazy ideas ? :drunk:

#288 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT

• 1,232 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 18:48

Lewis Hamilton ran into the back of Kimi in Canada.

The difference is that no one howled that Lewis just didn't have what it took and said he should retire.

Racing drives make mistakes, no one denies Michael made a mistake here. But you don't exactly sound objective either.

#289 Math89

Math89

• 78 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 18:49

Anyone has any good Schumacher wallpapers? Most on google images are not that special.

#290 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 18:54

Well, I tried to be humorous.. but it's a fact some of you come up with some pretty creative theories sometimes.

Schumacher is a great F1 driver, a legend in his own right.. but he also has a pretty extensive record of crap he did which should keep him away from a role where one of the first requirement would be to be a beacon of sportsmanship and integrity.

(in other news, Rascasse isn't a parking lot)

#291 schumimercamg

schumimercamg

• 315 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 18:57

How does one even begin to describe the achievements of Michael Schumacher? Future generations will ask us what it was like to watch him race, they will ask us what he was like as a man.
His statistics, although gargantuan, won’t tell them the whole picture. 310 races, 91 wins, 7WDC’s. Those are the numbers. What they won’t have witnessed was the tenacity, the determination and the sheer will to win that defined the man. The raw driving ability that saw him lap the whole field up to second place in the monsoon conditions at Spain in 1996, the extraordinary dedication that saw him win 5 WDC’s in a row at Ferrari. Nor will they have witnessed his last race at Brazil where he suffered a puncture early on, had to drive most of a lap on three wheels with a flailing tyre spinning wildly, returning to the pits and then setting about lighting up the timing screen for the rest of the race. They won’t have seen the other drivers in the race bowing out of the way in sheer respect for the unstoppable force that he was. They won’t have seen him make a comeback at 43 years old and match those 20 years his junior.

He had his faults and undoubtedly these stemmed from an unrelenting and sometimes crippling desire to win. Many will argue that deliberate collisions tarnish him as a racer and as a man. I see it differently; I see it as an uncontrollable passion for the sport and for winning overcoming the normal senses of conceding defeat and of fair play. I see it as a beautiful symbol of a man whose job we all want loving the sport and winning in it more than even we ever could.

We will tell our children that he was a man who was loved by many, loathed by a few but respected and recognised by all. A man whose generosity off track aided the lives of those less fortunate than us all. A man whose driving on track inspired not only those who race now and who will race in the future but also those not fortunate enough to drive a racing car in anger.

Some will say that, as a driver, others were better yet until the day his records are broken and until the day another driver captures the hearts and minds of so many, he will remain the best that ever lived. Michael, Schuey, Schumi, the best.

Long live the King.

#292 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 18:57

True. In past several weeks there was so much misinformation in public domain, that best is to forget all of that. I guess Michael perhaps thought that his departure could have been handled in more diginfied manner; at least that's what I thought about it.

#293 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 18:59

...(in other news, Rascasse isn't a parking lot)

It is, when Schumacher decide it is.

#294 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 19:01

How does one even begin to describe the achievements of Michael Schumacher...
Long live the King.

+1

#295 Fildischum

Fildischum

• 72 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 19:03

How does one even begin to describe the achievements of Michael Schumacher? Future generations will ask us what it was like to watch him race, they will ask us what he was like as a man.
His statistics, although gargantuan, won’t tell them the whole picture. 310 races, 91 wins, 7WDC’s. Those are the numbers. What they won’t have witnessed was the tenacity, the determination and the sheer will to win that defined the man. The raw driving ability that saw him lap the whole field up to second place in the monsoon conditions at Spain in 1996, the extraordinary dedication that saw him win 5 WDC’s in a row at Ferrari. Nor will they have witnessed his last race at Brazil where he suffered a puncture early on, had to drive most of a lap on three wheels with a flailing tyre spinning wildly, returning to the pits and then setting about lighting up the timing screen for the rest of the race. They won’t have seen the other drivers in the race bowing out of the way in sheer respect for the unstoppable force that he was. They won’t have seen him make a comeback at 43 years old and match those 20 years his junior.

He had his faults and undoubtedly these stemmed from an unrelenting and sometimes crippling desire to win. Many will argue that deliberate collisions tarnish him as a racer and as a man. I see it differently; I see it as an uncontrollable passion for the sport and for winning overcoming the normal senses of conceding defeat and of fair play. I see it as a beautiful symbol of a man whose job we all want loving the sport and winning in it more than even we ever could.

We will tell our children that he was a man who was loved by many, loathed by a few but respected and recognised by all. A man whose generosity off track aided the lives of those less fortunate than us all. A man whose driving on track inspired not only those who race now and who will race in the future but also those not fortunate enough to drive a racing car in anger.

Some will say that, as a driver, others were better yet until the day his records are broken and until the day another driver captures the hearts and minds of so many, he will remain the best that ever lived. Michael, Schuey, Schumi, the best.

Long live the King.

:up: Thanks mate, brings back all those memories. Damn you, you almost made me cry. :)

#296 schumimercamg

schumimercamg

• 315 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 19:07

+1

#297 Paco

Paco

• 1,195 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 19:08

The more I ponder this over the more I think it was way in MS control and RB further cements it. Sounds as if MS decided to not commit and passed the Mercedes due date and they went else where for a very good reason. Either MS decided to retire and Mercedes had no choice but to grab the best available driver or next season would have been a disaster more then they've already been facing from their Board or.. he has other options he feels are a better option:

RedBull with Seb (sure Mark has a control but that means nothing.. until the Jan 1st.. would form the best pairing on the grid next season)
Lotus with Kimi (Lotus is hurting for cash.. Michael would attract big money.. once again would be best driver pairing next season)
Ferrari with Fernando (most obvious and least obvious at the same time..)
Williams with Maldo (Williams does seems to be on the slight upward and could even beat Merc next season if they get it right)

Pretty sure Michael always want to work with Newey.. Michael has respect for Vettel.. I would imagine the 2 would get on well. :clap:

Curious how this going to play out in the month of October..

#298 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 19:10

Thanks for confirming both my points, lol

#299 MSCDesign

MSCDesign

• 112 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 19:21

I am sure that Mercedes will do everything to screw MS' last 6 races to make him look bad. They cannot allow MS to beat Nico in the remaining races.

Bernie knew it for some time:

Edited by MSCDesign, 28 September 2012 - 19:28.

Advertisement

#300 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 19:34

The more I ponder this...

Do you really want me to publicly slobber with anticipation? Seb and Michael? Unfortunately, there is this dream, and there is reality.