Photo

Hamilton and Perez moves, and the wider implications

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,182 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 14:02

I originally was going to post this in either of the existing threads, but given both moves are connected and at the same time, it's hard to separate them. There's huge implications from with this for loads of people... definitely the biggest news day in months. Shakes F1 up a little. Here's what I think it means for everyone:

* for the fans - this is excellent for us (unless you're a Lewis and/or McLaren fan concerned with the short-term results). We get to see a young gun given his chance at the top level, we get to see what Lewis can do outside his comfort zone, and we finally get to see exactly how good Rosberg is. I'm quite happy myself.

* for Lewis Hamilton - I think people like Joe Saward are being way too pessimistic, sure he's taking a step down and the money/sponsorship issues were a considerable factor, but sporting-wise it's not that big a leap of faith to expect to win things at Mercedes. Very very harsh to compare this to Villeneuve's BAR move or Fittipaldi's own team move. Mercedes are an upper-midfield team who won a championship the last rules change year, and who have put together a technical team packed with the most reputable names in F1. New rules changes are coming and brand new engines - Mercedes are one of the only 2 teams who will build one themselves. It's a risky move for Lewis sure, but it's a calculated risk.

* for Mercedes - huge winners in this as they swap a former star past his peak for a top star at the moment, consolidating their presence in F1 and moving their marketing ability to a age range that is more useful at the moment.

* for Sergio Perez - It couldn't have gone better for him as he lands a top seat, an experienced and well rated driver but who is mortal as a team-mate (and a similar driving style too, nice to learn from). I'm sure this is one of the happier days in his life. Quite pleased that I called him as one to watch back in 2008 when he was getting in the middle of the British F3 title fight with a 1-car team against a trio of Carlins (Alguersuari eventually won). Can't believe he's made it to McLaren in only 5 years time. He seems the perfect fit for the team in terms of personality too.

* for McLaren - I think they did fine to cover their bases long term by at least trying out one of the most promising new guys, and there's obvious other gains: Telmex to replace the already-leaving Vodafone (allegedly), and the similar driving style between both drivers that should make developing the car easier. However short-term this is a step back because Perez whilst promising isn't capable (at least yet) of delivering at the same level as Hamilton. This strikes me as a driving lineup very very similar as that of 2002 Coulthard-Raikkonen: an experienced driver who is near the top but not quite there, and a rookie that is very promising but not fully ready. It's not ideal.

* for Jenson Button - double-edged sword here. On one hand this has handed to win on a golden plate a chance to fight for the '13 title, which wouldn't have been so clear with a quicker team-mate. On the other hand if/when Perez comes good, his stock will drop very very rapidly and the end of his career, now a distant thought, would suddenly look an awful lot closer.

* for Michael Schumacher - quite a loser in this as he's almost forced to retire again, when he's still divided on whether he should stay. He'll have to accept driving for a much smaller team to continue.

* for Sauber - not as much of a bad thing as it seems at first glance, given their seats, if Massa stays at Ferrari, now become the most wanted in the market. In the silly season thread I went through this and figured the list of available/would-be-interested drivers could possibly contain: Kobayashi, Alguersuari, Gutierrez, Pic, Bianchi, Frijns, Schumacher, Kovalainen, Glock and god knows who else. They'll be just fine.

* for the Force India drivers, including Bianchi - it's a bad day for the 3 of them as they're all big losers. A potential door to a top team closes to both Hulk and di Resta, the first with an outside chance still to move to Ferrari but unlikely, the second loses both McLaren and Mercedes chances. If Bianchi has got a race contract for next year both will be sweating, if not then Bianchi will be sweating as that's most likely yet another year without getting his F1 break.

* for Ferrari - letting Perez go this easily can only mean they have Vettel next to Alonso in writing for 2014, really. Otherwise they'd have given him the seat to make sure he doesn't leave for McLaren. It's not nice to see a development driver move to a rival but they've got their bases covered with a fantastic duo. And one less strong rival (Lewis/Mac) to fight against next year.

* for Felipe Massa - one less competitor for the seat means he'll almost certainly get yet another year, but then he already knew Perez wasn't going there after Luca's comment that he wasn't ready.

* for Red Bull - great that one big competitor is gone (Lewis/Mac). However, I'm getting a bit deep into the implications here but due to Ferrari letting Perez go, today they'll be a bit more certain they're about to lose Vettel. That's all alarm bells ringing as Webber is short of a top driver and Ricciardo/Vergne have disappointed slightly too. They'll need to hire someone from outside their camp - Raikkonen for 2014? Or, I've not seen this suggested anywhere yet, but Hulkenberg maybe (altho he's a fairly poor fit in personality)?

* for Mexico - surely after today they're closer to getting their grand prix back? Ecclestone will be delighted at the huge interest F1 will generate now in a new country who was already looking for a GP.

So, yeah, pretty big day. The consequences now extend even further down the ladder depending on what happens at Sauber, etc.

Advertisement

#2 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,249 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 14:06

di Resta's Mercedes young driver position is the next domino after Schumacher.

#3 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 14:10

Sauber is losing Telmex, which cant be good.

#4 Lights

Lights

• 17,874 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 14:11

For F1 - Some change is good. We had a lot of changes at the front for 2007, then some again for 2010, now again for 2013 and we have contracts running out in 2016 again. For the past 3 years the top 8 cars (besides Lotus this year) have been occupied by the same 8 drivers and I don't think that's ever good for a sport like F1, so myself I'm definitely happy to read today's news.

#5 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 14:12

Perez's ceiling is highly unlikely to be as high as Hamilton's too. So, McLaren not only loses out short-term, but also long-term as well.

Oh, and you are already writing off Mercedes for 2013.

Edited by slmk, 28 September 2012 - 14:13.

#6 Alx09

Alx09

• 1,283 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 14:16

Could Schumacher go to Ferrari in 2013 I wonder?

Edit: clarified for Clatter.

Edited by Alx09, 28 September 2012 - 16:41.

#7 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,249 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 14:17

Could Schumacher go to Ferrari in 2013 to end it where it started I wonder?

Then he'd have to go to Force India.

#8 Collective

Collective

• 1,522 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 15:49

Not sure that's the case. They care for Gutiérrez too. Let´s wait and see.

#9 fed up

fed up

• 3,692 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 16:00

So, yeah, pretty big day. The consequences now extend even further down the ladder depending on what happens at Sauber, etc.

Excellent analysis, thanks :up:

#10 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,991 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 16:06

di Resta's Mercedes young driver position is the next domino after Schumacher.

Yeah. He deserved to be listed in the original post. He's a double loser who neither got Lewis seat nor Schumi's. He must be gutted.

#11 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 16:13

Could Schumacher go to Ferrari in 2013 to end it where it started I wonder? If Ferrari talks about a "too inexperienced Perez", Schumi should surely give the experience they want. But perhaps the ties are cut there after his comeback in Merc?

Where it started? You do know that he was in F1 for a few years before Ferrari?

#12 andresitoiniesta

andresitoiniesta

• 118 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 16:17

I can´t understand the Schumacher-Ferrari rumour. It´s nonsense to me.

#13 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 2,416 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 16:17

http://translate.goo...e...tml&act=url

DiResta signed for Ferrari??? Because Alonso looked pissed after Singapore race? Or is it Hulkenberg??? or MSC???

Edited by SealTheDiffuser, 28 September 2012 - 16:19.

#14 Alx09

Alx09

• 1,283 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 16:26

Where it started? You do know that he was in F1 for a few years before Ferrari?

Of course I know that he didn't start in Ferrari, but that's where it all happened for his career to make him famous. I guess I should've rephrased that.

#15 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 16:28

DiResta signed for Ferrari??? Because Alonso looked pissed after Singapore race? Or is it Hulkenberg??? or MSC???

A lot depends on whether the SV rumours have any truth to them. If he is really going there in 2014 then FM will stay, there would be no real advantage for any of the others signing for just one year. If the rumour is wrong then it makes sense to get a new driver in now as there are big changes in 2014 and it would be best to get them in and trained early.

#16 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

I think they're saying that if Ferrari have signed Di Resta, its possible they paid him to stay in 4th place in Singapore.

#17 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Of course I know that he didn't start in Ferrari, but that's where it all happened for his career to make him famous. I guess I should've rephrased that.

Really? You don't think he was quite famous before Ferrari signed him?

#18 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 16:31

I think they're saying that if Ferrari have signed Di Resta, its possible they paid him to stay in 4th place in Singapore.

Some of the nutters will love that rumour!

#19 Alx09

Alx09

• 1,283 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 16:32

My god. You know what I meant. Yes, he was famous but he wasn't legendary with 7wdcs, so why are you nagging about these irrelevant things to the thread?

The question I raised that is relevant to this thread is: Could Schumacher go back to Ferrari and replace Massa? (I changed my original thread reply for you now, hope you don't find any wrong wording to attack or prove wrong in it)

Edited by Alx09, 28 September 2012 - 16:38.

Advertisement

#20 beute

beute

• 1,357 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 16:35

Mclaren are the big losers here imho.

Button is as inconsistent as it gets and when he finally manages to get his act together and is fast, he has to hope that Hamilton has a bad day, otherwise hamilton will be faster or at least equally fast.
he has proven that in 2010 and now 2012 at just mclaren, being the slowest and least scoring of the top drivers.

as for perez, unproven imho...
we have actually no idea how good the sauber really is.
And the results have been inconsistent as well, but we dont know if it's down to the car or not.(in both good and bad results)
He is also a tyre whisperer, hopefully he wont suffer the same problems as button at mclaren :X

#21 MP422

MP422

• 2,157 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 16:39

Could Schumacher go to Ferrari in 2013 to end it where it started I wonder? If Ferrari talks about a "too inexperienced Perez", Schumi should surely give the experience they want. But perhaps the ties are cut there after his comeback in Merc?

Ferrari love Schumacher, He is a made man at the Scuderia.

#22 Kompressor

Kompressor

• 546 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 16:41

Sauber needs pay drivers that bring loads of big money sponsorship. I think that is the case for all the smaller teams. The drivers aren't competing for seats based on their talent only.

#23 sosidge

sosidge

• 1,741 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 16:43

Pretty much everyone is a winner except Lewis.

Mercedes think they are on to a winner but they will regret it soon enough. Signing Lewis seems like a rather expensive way to justify sacking Schumi, I don't think Ross Brawn had the guts to consider sacking him otherwise. The Merc technical "dream team" is mostly dreaming of fluffy pillows and cocoa these days, they won't be building a championship challenging car. They won't even be building the best Mercedes-powered car.

At least Lewis will be a little bit richer as he whinges over the pit radio about all the mistakes other people are making.

Sergio Perez gets a great drive; Sauber can find another wealthy junior GP2 driver to fill his seat; McLaren can spend their time building a decent car rather than babysitting Lewis; Button gets de facto #1 status in a car that, on current form, will be the one to beat at the start of 2013; Alonso and Vettel have one less driver to worry about as they try to add to their tally of titles.

Oh, and all the crazy Ham-fans will take their nonsense to the midfield, where nobody cares about it, rather than to the front of the grid. "Brawn favours Nico and robbed Lewis of 7th place with a lousy strategy" doesn't have the same ring to it.

Yes, 2013 will be a much better season for everyone except Mr Hamilton and the Mercedes board of directors.

#24 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 16:44

Does 1992 to 1995 not exist to you? :eek:

#25 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,721 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 16:49

That was his point....

#26 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 3,175 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 16:50

I think Di resta at Ferrari is a possibility that is too quickly dismissed. Perez is/was a Ferrari linked boy and went to mclaren after all....

#27 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 980 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 17:00

noikeee, you missed the most interesting implication. What happens to the McLaren Tooned cartoon next year! JB and Checo, I don't know what to expect.

I think Di resta at Ferrari is a possibility that is too quickly dismissed. Perez is/was a Ferrari linked boy and went to mclaren after all....

He gets some unfair stick too, perhaps he is over-rated by some of the pundits, but he is a consistent driver who does excel at tracks once in a while (Singapore).

#28 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 17:01

Does 1992 to 1995 not exist to you? :eek:

Er, yes. Did you actually read the posts?

#29 biercemountain

biercemountain

• 1,014 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 17:01

I think Hamilton will make the most of his move to Mercedes. He's got the driving skills and Brawn certainly knows how to build a good car. Don't know how Lewis rates as a developmental driver though. Rosberg's certainly going to be tested.

Excellent opportunity for Perez. Hope he shines.

#30 Guest_4L3X_*

Guest_4L3X_*

Posted 28 September 2012 - 17:07

Oh, and all the crazy Ham-fans will take their nonsense to the midfield, where nobody cares about it, rather than to the front of the grid. "Brawn favours Nico and robbed Lewis of 7th place with a lousy strategy" doesn't have the same ring to it.

:lol: :lol:

#31 MinT

MinT

• 2,280 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 17:45

Di resta lost his chance at the big time. Too many unimpressive drives this year - and he is now off the radar....unless of course Fernando fancies him as the new 2nd driver pushover.

#32 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 17:53

Yes, 2013 will be a much better season for everyone except Mr Hamilton and the Mercedes board of directors.

Eh. I think Lewis will be like Kimi is this year, but with race wins. Once he had a handle in the second half of 2009, he was on it in a car around where Mercedes has been in 2012. I expect 2013 to be even more open between the top five teams than this year.

#33 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 17:59

Yeah, I feel for Di Resta and Hulkenberg now. Although the Webber seat might open up in 2014, but I think Raikkonen might move to Red Bull. Saying that Vettel could also move out of there to Ferrari.

For now they'll have to contend with staying at Force India, which isn't too bad anyway, not like they're rotting away at the back like Heikki and Timo Glock are. But come 2014 I think doors will open up again as Red Bull and Ferrari start shifting.

The ultimate spanner in the works would be if Massa won the 2013 title. I really don't know why Ferrari are still hanging onto Massa though, they've probably upset more than a few careers making that decision...

#34 KingB

KingB

• 348 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 18:04

no, they are saying, that Ferrari could pay di Resta out of his contract. And that Alonso looked gruntled, because he knew that di Resta secured the seat with his 4th place in Singapore.

Just speculation from the author for me.

#35 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 18:08

I doubt Alonso would be unsettled by anyone coming into the team, apart from maybe Hamilton or Vettel. He wouldn't have it easy as he does against Massa with the likes of Di Resta, Perez, Raikkonnen and such...no doubt, but I doubt he'd lose too much sleep over them. Just my opinion, either way this all just wild speculation in the first place.

#36 cbbcisace

cbbcisace

• 1,551 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 18:12

Telemex could still stay with Esteban G?

#37 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,548 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 18:38

Yeah, I feel for Di Resta and Hulkenberg now. Although the Webber seat might open up in 2014, but I think Raikkonen might move to Red Bull. Saying that Vettel could also move out of there to Ferrari.

For now they'll have to contend with staying at Force India, which isn't too bad anyway, not like they're rotting away at the back like Heikki and Timo Glock are. But come 2014 I think doors will open up again as Red Bull and Ferrari start shifting.

The ultimate spanner in the works would be if Massa won the 2013 title. I really don't know why Ferrari are still hanging onto Massa though, they've probably upset more than a few careers making that decision...

Agreed, come Japan we'll be seeing Paul and Nico with rather gloomy faces. They just need to keep putting in great performances when the Force India is up for it, and they'll get noticed.

I do wish Massa would just go, just to open up another top seat for someone who actually deserves it...

#38 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,249 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 19:12

Not sure that's the case. They care for Gutiérrez too. Let´s wait and see.

He doesn't seem ready; if the sponsorship is needed by Sauber, they might have to promote him. He's only 21, so let's hope his career will not be ruined by coming in a year too early.

Another wide implication will be the amount of changed avatars on this forum by winter testing next year. :eek:

#39 BigWicks

BigWicks

• 750 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 19:14

* for Lewis Hamilton - I think people like Joe Saward are being way too pessimistic, sure he's taking a step down and the money/sponsorship issues were a considerable factor, but sporting-wise it's not that big a leap of faith to expect to win things at Mercedes. Very very harsh to compare this to Villeneuve's BAR move or Fittipaldi's own team move. Mercedes are an upper-midfield team who won a championship the last rules change year, and who have put together a technical team packed with the most reputable names in F1. New rules changes are coming and brand new engines - Mercedes are one of the only 2 teams who will build one themselves. It's a risky move for Lewis sure, but it's a calculated risk.

It's a huge risk for Hamilton. He's joining a team that consistently fails to produce good cars.

Advertisement

#40 skid solo

skid solo

• 2,438 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 19:15

Mercedes think they are on to a winner but they will regret it soon enough. Signing Lewis seems like a rather expensive way to justify sacking Schumi, I don't think Ross Brawn had the guts to consider sacking him otherwise. The Merc technical "dream team" is mostly dreaming of fluffy pillows and cocoa these days, they won't be building a championship challenging car. They won't even be building the best Mercedes-powered car.

At least Lewis will be a little bit richer as he whinges over the pit radio about all the mistakes other people are making.

Sergio Perez gets a great drive; Sauber can find another wealthy junior GP2 driver to fill his seat; McLaren can spend their time building a decent car rather than babysitting Lewis; Button gets de facto #1 status in a car that, on current form, will be the one to beat at the start of 2013; Alonso and Vettel have one less driver to worry about as they try to add to their tally of titles.

Did you suck on a lemon?

#41 Victor

Victor

• 1,004 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 19:44

Great analysis Noikee. I agree 100%.

#42 britishtrident

britishtrident

• 1,954 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 20:49

Great analysis Noikee. I agree 100%.

If I was Rosberg I would be looking at away out of my contract with a view of going to Ferrari or Red Bull.

#43 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 21:56

And out of the McLaren threads thank GOD!

#44 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,400 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 22:02

* for Red Bull - great that one big competitor is gone (Lewis/Mac). However, I'm getting a bit deep into the implications here but due to Ferrari letting Perez go, today they'll be a bit more certain they're about to lose Vettel. That's all alarm bells ringing as Webber is short of a top driver and Ricciardo/Vergne have disappointed slightly too. They'll need to hire someone from outside their camp - Raikkonen for 2014? Or, I've not seen this suggested anywhere yet, but Hulkenberg maybe (altho he's a fairly poor fit in personality)?

Good post. I will pick up on this one, as I think you are right that Red Bull's future driver line up is now less clear than any other top three team. There does seem to be a strong vibe linking Vettel to Ferrari in 2014 and Red Bull may have been caught sleeping. Kimi may well be their best option.

The other question is how long Newey is tied in for?

#45 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 22:05

Good post. I will pick up on this one, as I think you are right that Red Bull's future driver line up is now less clear than any other top three team. There does seem to be a strong vibe linking Vettel to Ferrari in 2014 and Red Bull may have been caught sleeping. Kimi may well be their best option.

The other question is how long Newey is tied in for?

If Vettel goes for 2014 they'll try for Räikkönen/Webber.

Then I don't think either of them are going to be on the grid for the 2016 season and that's where the sh*t hits the fan for them if they lose Seb.

Edited by jeze, 28 September 2012 - 22:07.

#46 jey16

jey16

• 340 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 22:07

I really hope Ferrari have Vettel locked in for 2014 otherwise it's a strange decision to let Perez go

#47 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,400 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 22:11

If Vettel goes for 2014 they'll try for Räikkönen/Webber.

Then I don't think either of them are going to be on the grid for the 2016 season and that's where the sh*t hits the fan for them if they lose Seb.

They will have to bring through another young talent (possibly even for 2014 - Webber could easily retire). That also seems to be the overall philosophy of the owner. Hence, they need one of the young guns to be up to scratch. So far, I don't see another Vettel.

#48 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 6,287 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 22:20

That cracked me up. :lol: :lol:

#49 HP

HP

• 19,631 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 00:03

It is good for Hamilton to leave McLaren. Maybe Mercedes isn't the best place, but probably was the best available this year.

Like a young adult leaving his parents, Hamilton leaving McLaren was inevitable. He will gain different experience that most likely will help him to develop further as racing driver. He will even learn from iit all, should things go pear shaped.

I do think however things will turn out positive for everyone. After all Nico Rosberg won a race in that Mercedes.

#50 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 10,989 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 00:32

They will have to bring through another young talent (possibly even for 2014 - Webber could easily retire).

They have one with Antonio Felix Da Costa!