Photo

Fan View -Driver vs Team : case in point Hamilton McLaren

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

Poll: Fan View -Driver vs Team : case in point Hamilton McLaren (244 member(s) have cast votes)

Please chose one which best describes your equation with McLaren in relation to the Hamilton move.

1. Was a McLaren fan. Will stop being a team fan after the move (38 votes [15.57%])

Percentage of vote: 15.57%

2. Was a McLaren fan. Will continue to be a fan after the move. (91 votes [37.30%])

Percentage of vote: 37.30%

3. Was NOT a McLaren fan. May start warming up to the team after Lewis moves. (50 votes [20.49%])

Percentage of vote: 20.49%

4. Was NOT a McLAren fan. Wont start now - Lewis move is irrelevant. (65 votes [26.64%])

Percentage of vote: 26.64%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 sailor

sailor

• 585 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 00:26

I was always curious about fan bases of drivers vis a vis teams. Do we become a fan of the teams due to the drivers or is it exactly the opposite?
Do we preclude some teams to support if the main driver is not to your liking? Can we really really support any entity without having some emotional investment with the human face of that entity/team?

Hami's move has presented me with an opportunity to analyse the fan behaviour when it comes to one of the most passionate and to an extent partisan fan base.

So please answer the question and possibly give reasons if you wish to share. If possible try to be objective and remove any other trappings from your mind about any other driver or team involved in this move for instance the incoming driver Perez , outgoing driver SChumi and the other involved team Mercedes.

Question is how will Ham's move affect your equation with the team McLaren?

My case is that I want to continue to support Macca because I have always supported it since Kimi era , and thought I will stop after he left but then Lewis came along and I stayed put. This time around though -I m not sure if I will be able to have the same level of support for Macca anymore

Edited by sailor, 29 September 2012 - 00:37.

Advertisement

#2 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 00:34

Did you mean to exclude Lewis fans from the poll?

Because none of the options fit 'am a Lewis fan not a macca fan and will support him at mercedes but retain a soft spot for the team'...or'...and will not care about mclaren in the slightest'.

I don't actually know the answer btw and won't unitil first gp next year!

#3 sailor

sailor

• 585 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 00:46

Did you mean to exclude Lewis fans from the poll?

Because none of the options fit 'am a Lewis fan not a macca fan and will support him at mercedes but retain a soft spot for the team'...or'...and will not care about mclaren in the slightest'.

I don't actually know the answer btw and won't unitil first gp next year!

No you can be a Lewis fan -actually that is quite helpful.
The idea is to tackle the question about the team rather than the driver -although the otherway round might also have worked.

If you were a fan the first 2 options apply , if NOT then the last two apply. These are the most basic classifications and in theory cover all possibilities YY, YN NY and NN

These are black and white options so I agree that some grey areas will pose a challenge in voting. Perhaps an Other (please describe in the post) option was in order :) will add it in if voting in this proves too much trouble.

I know its hard to really differentiate whether you support the team or the driver because they are so closely linked with and dependent on each other. But that is what I wanted to explore by way of this poll.

In your case - if your were a Lewis fan and not a Macca fan - either of the last two should apply. And if I may take a guess - it should be option 4. You were not a fan of Macca and will not particularly care in the future as well.

Edited by sailor, 29 September 2012 - 00:53.

#4 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 8,183 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:46

was pretty neutral on the team and nothing will change for me. Lewis was a bit exciting (dramatic also) though!

#5 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:17

Wasn't a Mclaren fan, now Perez joined I might start to support them.

#6 Juggles

Juggles

• 902 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:45

Option 4. I couldn't be called a fan of McLaren in any real sense of the word; I only followed their progress closely because of how it affected Hamilton. Now he's left there are no characters there who I particularly warm to, so I won't even retain a soft spot for them as robefc will.

Actually that's not entirely true, I do like the guy I believe is Hamilton's chief mechanic - a Welsh guy called Taffy or something? Definitely begins with T. Whenever I see him in the official F1 videos he always seems to be living the race with Hamilton, so I always assumed he was quite devoted.

#7 moorsey

moorsey

• 653 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:01

Have been a McLaren fan for many years but have gradually lost interest since Ron moved away from the racing team and Lewis departure is now the final nail for me. I shall watch with interest to see how he does with Merc but won't be watching Mac any longer.

#8 akshay380

akshay380

• 602 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:00

Became a McLaren after reading in detail about Ayrton Senna and Ron Dennis. Supporting Lewis came naturally. Now that Lewis has moved I will support him but will have a soft corner for McLaren. Will miss that yellow helmet glowing in the McLaren though. Will prefer Checko if Lewis aint winning. :)

Edited by akshay380, 29 September 2012 - 06:37.

#9 mgs315

mgs315

• 613 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:15

It's really a difficult decision for me. I'll still support both I reckon. For who I'd prefer in a scrap between Jenson and Lewis next year.. I'd probably say Lewis.

#10 Raifosa

Raifosa

• 495 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:50

I'm driver fan first and all 3 drivers I supported drove for McLaren but I never became a fan of the team. Don't really know why. Maybe it was all those DNF's & penalties Kimi had to endure while with them.
I always supported them in the WCC fight though against Ferrari (except 2007), Flavio's Renault and Red Bull and I will continue to do so unless BMW returns or Sauber & Williams move up from the midfiled ( one can dream right?)

#11 Leyser

Leyser

• 1,561 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:58

When two negatives divorce the only thing one can hope for is that they don't share their time with you and your loved ones.

In a roundabout way this move offends me twice: Perez, a driver whom I like, moves to a team I dislike and Schumacher, of whom I am a fan, is left in an uneasy position.

Pox on both their houses. :)

#12 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:01

Became a McLaren after reading in detail about Ayrton Senna and Ron Dennis. Supporting Lewis came naturally. Now that Lewis has moved I will support him but will have a soft corner for McLaren. Will miss that yellow helmet glowing in the McLaren though. Will prefer Checko if Lewis aint winning. :)

Have been a McLaren fan all the way since Project 4 started. Even though the times of Denny Hulme/Emerson Fittipaldi/James Hunt were great and I respected the team back then already, the "real" McLaren started with Ron Dennis, and then Lauda/Prost/Senna/Hakkinen - a great lineage of champions.

#13 FonzCam

FonzCam

• 762 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:13

I'm a Williams fan and have been for as long as I can remember. So McLaren are a natural rival. However I tend to continue to support ex-Williams drivers in their new teams so since Montoya and then Button joined McLaren I've softened to them a little. Likewise I'll be supporting Nico over Hamilton and Webber over Vettel on account of their stints at Grove.

There's only one driver I really root for who has never driven for Williams and that's Kimi. I have no reason why but there's just something about him that makes me root for him even though he has driven for all 3 of Williams' main rivals.

#14 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,394 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:51

If we have any sense we don't do either...

#15 SunnyENTP

SunnyENTP

• 717 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:28

I think it comes down to personality, I think majority of people who supports teams are generally team players. They identify with brands, have a greater affinity to groups, policital party, community loyalty, more likely keep a long term interest/passion, likely to have a long term group of mates, favour team sports more - Football, cricket, Rugby, Baseball, Basketball e.t.c

Whereas Driver supporters would tend to be more independent minded, they are free thinkers. They identify with an individual rather than a brand , group or political Party, for example more likely to change political parties due to who is leading. They would tend to prefer or avidly follow Individual sports in most cases, - Boxing, Tennis, Golf, Athletics, wrestling, UFC, cycling e.t.c More likely to identify with a particular member of band rather than the whole band. They are more passionate and can take their obsession great levels, however would only sustain that passion as long as who or what they support has a chance of progress.

#16 Feanaro

Feanaro

• 400 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:41

Two of the nicest guys in the field in my opinion, might be warming up to mclaren next year :D.

But still Sauber all the way!!

#17 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:00

What about those of us who are fans of Lewis Hamilton but supported McLaren while he was there? I will support him at Mercedes and will still enjoy seeing Jenson doing well too.

#18 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:04

Was a McLaren fan in the Raikkonen days, Hamilton was too insufferable so I moved elsewhere (NOT Ferrari though), looks like I'll be a stronger McLaren fan again.

#19 WatchingF1since4yearsold

WatchingF1since4yearsold

• 250 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:52

Hamilton and Button fan, have and will support both regardless of what team they are with...

so basically :p

Advertisement

#20 Masenco

Masenco

• 819 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:44

I will continue to support the team to win the wcc, and i'll always be wishing well for them (unless they are getting in between lewis and wdc or wins).

I will also support mercedes though as i want them to be great for lewis.

#21 InvertedLift

InvertedLift

• 272 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:48

Serious question for those who may have the answer:
Who will the pom media fawn over ad nauseum now? Still Lewis or more so McLaren?

I'm leaning towards Lewis not that I can understand why he seems to be the messiah to BBC, Sky and the entire Autosport BB. Least likeable British driver I can remember.

#22 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:52

Have been a McLaren fan for many years but have gradually lost interest since Ron moved away from the racing team and Lewis departure is now the final nail for me. I shall watch with interest to see how he does with Merc but won't be watching Mac any longer.

Pretty much the same, I don't trust Whitmarsh in the slightest, I might see how Perez gets on but with Whitmarsh and Button there, nope I won't support McLaren again.

#23 Moore

Moore

• 400 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:59

Hamilton and Button fan first and then a Mclaren fan. So i'll still be supporting all 3 regardless of the situation, however I don't know whether to support Merc or not.

#24 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 13:08

I've always liked McLaren mainly for Hamilton, I just find the likes of Button to be insanely boring and then Perez which is like Mexican Button Jr. I do generally think for me the drivers make me like the team more than the other way round, I wouldn't say I have much fandom or loyalty to anyone in particular in F1 though. It's more about the sport in its entirety rather than having specific likes I guess.

I used to like teams more than drivers, but as I've grown up I've seen just how shallow and corporate they tend to be.

Also most of the time I end up liking things when everyone else can't help but hate, right now Hamilton is getting lots of hate from ******** fans and it's making me like him more.

#25 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 13:12

I've always liked McLaren mainly for Hamilton, I just find the likes of Button to be insanely boring and then Perez which is like Mexican Button Jr. I do generally think for me the drivers make me like the team more than the other way round, I wouldn't say I have much fandom or loyalty to anyone in particular in F1 though. It's more about the sport in its entirety rather than having specific likes I guess.

I used to like teams more than drivers, but as I've grown up I've seen just how shallow and corporate they tend to be.

Also most of the time I end up liking things when everyone else can't help but hate, right now Hamilton is getting lots of hate from ******** fans and it's making me like him more.

I thought button was boring originally, but more and more he's struck me as a sly snake, should have taken more note when he did the dump on Williams and again when he left Brawn.

#26 Raziel

Raziel

• 2,375 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 13:24

I have been a McLaren fan since 97 and loved and supported all their drivers Hakkinen, Coulthard, Raikkonen, De la Rosa, Wurz, Montoya, Alonso, Hamilton, Kovalainen, Button but I have to admit that throughout these past years I always had a little bit more love and sympathy to some drivers. When Hakkinen, who I adored, finished his career for me his real successor was Raikkonen and I supported him more because he was bloody fast and better driver then Coulthard latter Montoya etc. When Raikkonen left McLaren I was disappointed big time! That was a real heartbreaking experience for me and now history repeat itself with Hamilton. Well I survived departure of Raikkonen and I'm pretty sure that no matter how is hard and painful for me at this moment, I will recover and continue my support for McLaren without Hamilton in it. Time heals all wounds and no one is bigger than the team! No matter what the future holds I'll be there for McLaren and their drivers! Perez and Button will be McLaren drivers in next few years and they deserve my support, they will be a part of McLaren team and I should and will respect that! Wins and titles for McLaren are priority!

#27 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,146 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 13:46

It isn't as easy as you think when you are a team supporter and your favourite driver drives for another team. Especially when it comes down to the last race of the season and a driver from your favourite team and your favourite driver are both battling it out for the WDC. I've experienced it once and I might have to go through it again this year.

In theory it sounds like it is a win win situation and that you'll be happy which ever way it goes. However it is not the case. If your favourite driver wins, yes you are happy but you feel like you've betrayed your team. However if the team driver wins it feels like you've betrayed your favourite driver.

So how would it be if if was between one of the Mclaren drivers and Lewis at the last race of the season. Then where does the support lie?

I feel your pain.

#28 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,247 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 13:49

I'm an F1 fan. A reshuffle of the top drivers is always welcome.

#29 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 14:06

I've always had a love/hate relationship with McLaren. Supported Kimi while he was there, ditto Button... but I never cared much for the likes of Montoya, Alonso (at the time, I respect him lots now), or Hamilton. Button and Perez is a lineup that I can really get behind and support, so I'm looking forward to cheering for the entirety of McLaren, rather than just one side of the garage.

Edited by UPRC, 29 September 2012 - 14:07.

#30 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 910 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 14:11

I'm more of a driver fan than team fan and I support button, Hamilton and Perez. So this changes very little for me. Mostly I can't wait to see Perez in a top car.

#31 PinkZepStones

PinkZepStones

• 220 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 14:21

Where's the option for: hated mclaren since about 1989 and have done since and couldn't be more happy that Hamilton has left the masters of incompetence?

#32 H0R

H0R

• 4,084 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 20:39

I am Ron Dennis' wet dream.
McLaren fan since 1974. I don't care for the drivers, i don't even care for the racing series. If McLaren would quit F1 and go lawnmower racing, I'd become a lawnmower racing aficionado.

#33 pit5bul

pit5bul

• 813 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 21:13

ok.. with me its a bit more complicated...I've always went for the driver more than for the team... i was Mclaren while Senna was with them.. then i went Williams when he went there.. stayed with Williams trough Hill , Villeneuve and Montoya... followed Montoya to McLaren again... and stayed with McLaren after the left... of course because of Hamilton... now.. i will follow Hamilton to Mercedes..

#34 sailor

sailor

• 585 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 00:30

What about those of us who are fans of Lewis Hamilton but supported McLaren while he was there? I will support him at Mercedes and will still enjoy seeing Jenson doing well too.

Thats easy . Option 1 and i reckon many will be in that bracket althoough some might not want to admit it.

#35 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:24

I've always had a love/hate relationship with McLaren. Supported Kimi while he was there, ditto Button... but I never cared much for the likes of Montoya, Alonso (at the time, I respect him lots now), or Hamilton. Button and Perez is a lineup that I can really get behind and support, so I'm looking forward to cheering for the entirety of McLaren, rather than just one side of the garage.

You must have had a hard time seeing Lewis rack up 50 podiums, 24 poles, 20 wins, 1 WDC..

Suffering is almost over.

#36 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 16:50

You must have had a hard time seeing Lewis rack up 50 podiums, 24 poles, 20 wins, 1 WDC..

Suffering is almost over.

I just ignored what Lewis did and focused on Jenson. Can't go wrong cheering for JB, the world champion who still feels like an underdog somehow. :up:

#37 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 17:38

I'll be cheering for McLaren more now.. with Perez especially. And now that they don't have Hamilton.

BUT.. I will be cheering Lewis in Mercedes.. :drunk: :lol:

It might seem wierd but it all makes sense in my head.

#38 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 19:47

No. Not really. Never. (I am trying to stay positive as humanly possible).

#39 loki0420

loki0420

• 997 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 20:11

I am Ron Dennis' wet dream.
McLaren fan since 1974. I don't care for the drivers, i don't even care for the racing series. If McLaren would quit F1 and go lawnmower racing, I'd become a lawnmower racing aficionado.

Sounds like my thoughts as well. :up:

McLaren all the way. No sympathy for ones left contrary to teams wishes.

Advertisement

#40 Callisto

Callisto

• 2,807 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 23:48

Mclaren supporter since 98,I support Kimi Lewis and Jenson,and will still support Lewis in Mercedes

#41 Burtros

Burtros

• 3,265 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:46

I have a favourite team and a favourite driver.

Have always been a McLaren man, that will not change in the slightest. Ive always been a Jenson Button fan - its nice at the moment my favourite driver drives for my favourite team.

I have only ever supported Hamilton because he is a McLaren driver. As of Jan 1st, I have no interest and no support at all for him.

#42 F1EC

F1EC

• 913 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:49

Mainly a driver fan - I started watching F1 after seeing Lewis's first race at someone else's home. So I'll carry on supporting Lewis wherever he goes, and because of that I'll support the team he's driving for. But over the past few years McLaren have given me the opportunity to visit the pitlane and their factory at Woking, so I'll still have a soft spot for them too. I think this move will make me a more well-rounded F1 fan.

#43 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,247 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:02

I have a favourite team and a favourite driver.

Have always been a McLaren man, that will not change in the slightest. Ive always been a Jenson Button fan - its nice at the moment my favourite driver drives for my favourite team.

I have only ever supported Hamilton because he is a McLaren driver. As of Jan 1st, I have no interest and no support at all for him.

I find this a bizarre mentality, for motor racing although a team sport encompassing several hundred people, comes down to a driver driving a car on the circuit in the end. No interest? Despite the perception that he is among the top three on the current grid?

#44 corf

corf

• 267 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:42

I find this a bizarre mentality, for motor racing although a team sport encompassing several hundred people, comes down to a driver driving a car on the circuit in the end. No interest? Despite the perception that he is among the top three on the current grid?

I don't see the issue here it makes perfect sense to me, driver skill is irrelevant. If I am a Williams fan - I will cheer Maldonado on regardless - when he moves on I won't....

Some of us who have been F1 fans for 30+ years see drivers come and go and tend to support teams not drivers. Certain drivers come along that I will cheer regardless of the team - This generation it has been Jenson for me, previously it was Mansell.

Edited by corf, 02 October 2012 - 12:48.

#45 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 13:19

[x] None of the above

#46 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 15:08

I got into this sport watching the honda powered Jordans and BARs. Once I started watching Hamilton in GP2, I was sold. I couldn't care less about McLaren.

#47 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,345 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 17:33

I think it comes down to personality, I think majority of people who supports teams are generally team players. They identify with brands, have a greater affinity to groups, policital party, community loyalty, more likely keep a long term interest/passion, likely to have a long term group of mates, favour team sports more - Football, cricket, Rugby, Baseball, Basketball e.t.c

Whereas Driver supporters would tend to be more independent minded, they are free thinkers. They identify with an individual rather than a brand , group or political Party, for example more likely to change political parties due to who is leading. They would tend to prefer or avidly follow Individual sports in most cases, - Boxing, Tennis, Golf, Athletics, wrestling, UFC, cycling e.t.c More likely to identify with a particular member of band rather than the whole band. They are more passionate and can take their obsession great levels, however would only sustain that passion as long as who or what they support has a chance of progress.

I'm not sure this works this way.

Me for example- I'm extremely independent person, even overly independent. In most cases I don't identify with any groups. I don't enjoy following the tradition. I value individual over group and I insist nobody should be forced to identify with the group just to strenghten the feeling of adherence. I always make my view on my own, not by following the group or authorities.

What can be interesting, my two favourite sports bar racing are football and cycling, two disciplines that belong to different groups in your view.

Despite my personality. I've always followed teams rather than particular sportsmans. But not with immediate effect. At the beginning I usually start to follow the battle of the frontrunnes and symphatise with some of them and against some of them, but not very strongly. Then I chose an outsider and follow him for a short time, before switching to his team. After the "switch" is done, I follow the team no matter what and the team is more important to me than any individual, but I still tend to wish very well some individual people outside my favourite team and I can switch my interest for them for a short time when they have a good chance of strenghten their reputation while my favourite team isn't currently in fight anywhere close to the top.
What else can be interesting, despite my route to support a team usually goes through supporting a certain person for a short time (I.E. I've supported Wurz for 2 or 3 months before I realised that I'm Williams' fan and the simillar story was in cycling with Christian Vande Velde and his team Garmin) and my choice of that person is based on the sound of his name, I always end to support the teams that are somehow connected with blue colour.
After all, I support the team very strongly.

It's possible that I'm only one of the few people who don't follow the trend you've described, but I'm not sure if this trend acutally exists.

Pity it's a racing forum, not psychological forum. I would like to investigate how the personality affects who do people follow in sport competition. :smoking:

#48 flowerdew

flowerdew

• 290 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 17:58

The poll options don't feel quite right to me. I very much dislike McLaren, but was able to cheer a McLaren car if Lewis was driving it. I like Checo, too, but probably won't feel the intensity of support for him that I did for Lewis. I don't know how to say this exactly right, but there have been times in the past couple of years where cheering for Lewis felt almost like cheering against McLaren. I hope it never feels that way with Checo.

In general, my love for Ferrari and my love for Alonso grew separately, and would continue for each if they parted ways. I hope they don't, because as it is, I am crazy passionate for the combined product, and it is crazy convenient for my loyalties.

The other two teams I care for are Sauber and HRT, who I love regardless of who is driving. I like HRT a little more personally now that Pedro is with them. I feel that Peter and particularly Monisha are human faces enough for the team, but Kamui and Checo make them that much more lovable.

As for the rest, I am 100% driver over team. I will cheer for Kimi, but Lotus can go hang, etc.

#49 antifozy

antifozy

• 179 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 18:27

started out as a McLaren fan when I first started watching in 1998. Became a Kimi fan after that, have supported Kimi ever since though if he is not there I do support McLaren, so no change for me.

#50 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:40

Fan of Perez - so cheering him on will mean cheering on Macca. But I am not a fan of constructors - I like the freedom of worshiping all of the innovations and advances on all of the cars - including all of the crews and teams.