Photo

Michael Schumacher's future after Mercedes

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
269 replies to this topic

Poll: Michael Schumacher's future after Mercedes (299 member(s) have cast votes)

Michael Schumacher's future after Mercedes

1. Ferrari (63 votes [21.07%])

Percentage of vote: 21.07%

2. Lotus (3 votes [1.00%])

Percentage of vote: 1.00%

3. Sauber (55 votes [18.39%])

Percentage of vote: 18.39%

4. Force India (1 votes [0.33%])

Percentage of vote: 0.33%

5. Williams (7 votes [2.34%])

Percentage of vote: 2.34%

6. Toro Rosso (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Marussia (3 votes [1.00%])

Percentage of vote: 1.00%

8. Caterham (2 votes [0.67%])

Percentage of vote: 0.67%

9. HRT (17 votes [5.69%])

Percentage of vote: 5.69%

10. Retirement (138 votes [46.15%])

Percentage of vote: 46.15%

11. Other (please specify) (10 votes [3.34%])

Percentage of vote: 3.34%

Vote

#201 steveninthematrix

steveninthematrix

• 329 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 15:50

A little mouse whispered in my ear that Schumacher could go back to Ferrari,” former Ferrari driver Patrick Tambay told RMC Sport. “It is perhaps just the dream of some tifosi, but why not?”

http://www.forumula1...gned-massa-yet/

Advertisement

#202 JensonWDC

JensonWDC

• 478 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 15:58

he has nothing to lose, so why not? Nobody would expect him to beat Alonso but f he does this board is going to explode :p

#203 steveninthematrix

steveninthematrix

• 329 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 16:00

he has nothing to lose, so why not? Nobody would expect him to beat Alonso but f he does this board is going to explode :p

this board explode? it could literally mean the end of civilisation as we know it... maybe that is what the Mayans predicted, on the 21st December 2012, Ferrari announce MS for 2013, and the world ends?!?! :down:

#204 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,736 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 16:03

this board explode? it could literally mean the end of civilisation as we know it... maybe that is what the Mayans predicted, on the 21st December 2012, Ferrari announce MS for 2013, and the world ends?!?! :down:

LOL, the Mayans predicted nothing.

#205 Augurk

Augurk

• 1,932 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 16:17

Christ, I wasn't a believer in this end of the world theory, but I'm afraid you may be onto something there...

Oh boy oh boy oh boy, what to do with our last 2 months and 19 days.... Watch reruns of 2002 and 2004?

#206 Sof1

Sof1

• 606 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 16:33

IMHO The pairing of Michael and Fernando would be the best in the history of this sport.

#207 derstatic

derstatic

• 213 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 16:38

Prost/Senna was quite awesome aswell even if they hated each other most of the time. But talking WDC-titles Alonso/Schu would be the strongest by far.

#208 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,590 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 16:43

IMHO The pairing of Michael and Fernando would be the best in the history of this sport.

If they were both at their peak maybe, but not now.

#209 man

man

• 1,302 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 16:46

No, not even close. Not even in the same league.

#210 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 17:33

I wouldn't be so sure... it was the same prospect for Button when he decided to join McLaren. We've seen how that went.

It was the same for Kimi when he joined Ferrari. We all see how that went.

Should be interesting for Hamilton when he joins Mercedes. I fully expect that he will not dominate Rosberg. There are many smug opinions here that are being systematically dismantled and shown to be untrue.

I just doubt that Michael will join Ferrari for us to see how things go there.

#211 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 18:13

Has anyone read line up "Lauda in headlines" in past one or two weeks? I came accross this in random scanning, and that's when I came upon realization, that Michael would have to be insane of real masochist to be anywhere near that man. I am hoping that Merc know what they are getting into with him.

Lauda - I am not an engineer, but I have to find out why engineering doesn't works...
(Ross is in charge BTW. Are we going to see Jag story all over then)?

#212 Sof1

Sof1

• 606 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 22:37

Has anyone read line up "Lauda in headlines" in past one or two weeks? I came accross this in random scanning, and that's when I came upon realization, that Michael would have to be insane of real masochist to be anywhere near that man. I am hoping that Merc know what they are getting into with him.

Lauda - I am not an engineer, but I have to find out why engineering doesn't works...
(Ross is in charge BTW. Are we going to see Jag story all over then)?

He's old, he can say whatever he wants :p

#213 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,531 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 00:42

Are you suggesting both at their peak would not have been in the same league? It amuses me that some fans really think Michael could on a top team's shopping list. Other than his commercial value for his face, MS would bring nothing to Ferrari at a time when they could benefit from two really quick drivers or else a promising driver development program like they could have had with Perez. They missed a good one there IMO.

Thoughts of Michael driving team development at a lesser team have evaporated with the stagnant results at MGP. At best he may have influenced development slightly towards his personal style with the MGP03 which Rosberg has often struggled to get along with.

#214 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,477 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 00:54

That would have been Alain Prost and Michael Schumacher back in 1996 had Prost signed up for that season to race for Ferrari.

#215 tremolo

tremolo

• 87 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:41

No way MSC will go to Ferrari (as much as I'd like to see it). MSC is not a long-term prospect for them - he'd just be a seatwarmer, and they already have one of them.

#216 Igorr

Igorr

• 227 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:06

Besides the performance wise strenthg of what the team would be if MSC signs with them, imagine the sponsors... They will go NUTS! Every sponsor will want to have Fernando and Michael in the same room on their events.

#217 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:01

He's old, he can say whatever he wants :p

Yes, but this particular old man is holding a loaded gun at Mercedes team. I am hoping that Michael's decision will be to cut the cord with Mercedes, or at least with F1 group, and work on developments at AMG division or something of that kind, if he decides to hang his helmet on the nail in his garage. Sounds like Dr. Zetsche is still on his side, and hopefully their good relationship will continue beyond Feb 2013.

Edited by Sakae, 03 October 2012 - 04:04.

#218 Sof1

Sof1

• 606 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:28

Besides the performance wise strenthg of what the team would be if MSC signs with them, imagine the sponsors... They will go NUTS! Every sponsor will want to have Fernando and Michael in the same room on their events.

I think it would be the best thing to happen to Ferrari since Michael won those 5 consecutive titles with them.

#219 Sof1

Sof1

• 606 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:30

No way MSC will go to Ferrari (as much as I'd like to see it). MSC is not a long-term prospect for them - he'd just be a seatwarmer, and they already have one of them.

He the Champion, along with Alonso, that can get them maximum points out of every race and be leading the Manufacturer's title instead of playing catchup with Mclaren and Redbull, as they are doing now with Massa partnering Alonso.

Advertisement

#220 DutchCruijff

DutchCruijff

• 933 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:31

That would have been Alain Prost and Michael Schumacher back in 1996 had Prost signed up for that season to race for Ferrari.

Never knew that, on further googling this came up:-

"In 1994 McLaren asked me to take the wheel. I conducted three days of testing and I immediately realised that something was broken. The speed was there, but not the will to manage the pressure, travel and media that comes with a championship contest. A year later, Jean Todt suggested that I become team-mate to Schumacher to help him become champion at Ferrari. I would have been clearly number two, which was ok - I almost drove, but finally I did not, for the same reasons."

#221 Sof1

Sof1

• 606 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:31

"In 1994 McLaren asked me to take the wheel. I conducted three days of testing and I immediately realised that something was broken. The speed was there, but not the will to manage the pressure, travel and media that comes with a championship contest. A year later, Jean Todt suggested that I become team-mate to Schumacher to help him become champion at Ferrari. I would have been clearly number two, which was ok - I almost drove, but finally I did not, for the same reasons."

Very interesting and surprising that he would have accepted to play number 2 for Schumacher!

#222 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:35

Who is going to sponsor Michael Schumacher, should he choose to carry on racing?

None of the major teams have a place for him, so it appears he's left with Sauber and if he goes there, he's going to have to pay for his seat. They certainly won't be paying him.

#223 dav115

dav115

• 721 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:35

Cheers for the snippet George, and nice find Dutch, can't believe I've never heard of this before..

#224 Sof1

Sof1

• 606 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:52

Who is going to sponsor Michael Schumacher, should he choose to carry on racing?

None of the major teams have a place for him, so it appears he's left with Sauber and if he goes there, he's going to have to pay for his seat. They certainly won't be paying him.

A lot sponsors are after Michael Schumacher, he said it himself in a recent interview. Even without racing he had tons of sponsor deals.

#225 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:59

A lot sponsors are after Michael Schumacher, he said it himself in a recent interview. Even without racing he had tons of sponsor deals.

Such as? Which of them will cough up £30+m a year to keep him at Sauber ? There's a huge difference between paying MS £1m to put a patch on his overalls and going the whole hog.

#226 Massa

Massa

• 4,380 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:00

Yes and Senna have a pre contract with Ferrari for 1996. In fact, for Ferrari, Senna was the first choice, then Schumacher.

#227 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:05

Christ, I wasn't a believer in this end of the world theory, but I'm afraid you may be onto something there...

Oh boy oh boy oh boy, what to do with our last 2 months and 19 days.... Watch reruns of 2002 and 2004?

and 1995, never get tired of watching him spank Hill in an inferior car.

#228 Sof1

Sof1

• 606 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:55

Such as? Which of them will cough up £30+m a year to keep him at Sauber ? There's a huge difference between paying MS £1m to put a patch on his overalls and going the whole hog.

He has around $15mil in personal sponsors alone. You think a person of his calibre cannot find some other sponsor to cover the rest??? His net worth is around $800mil. He pisses $30 million a year just from interest on his money :p

Edited by Sof1, 03 October 2012 - 11:56.

#229 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,784 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:57

Very interesting and surprising that he would have accepted to play number 2 for Schumacher!

these guys have racing in their blood. I am sure MS didn't have any problems supporting Rosberg last year and I am more than sure he wouldn't have any problems supporting Alonso.
They are brilliant outstanding drivers with a passion for racing. If all they want to do is race they will acknowledge a faster team mate.
However, as Alain said, he couldn't take the extra pressure anymore.

#230 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,784 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:01

of course there is a difference - but also in exposure. He wasn't available for a high level sponsorship deal but that doesn't mean he doesn't have a lot of offers.
If guys like Sutil, Kobayashi etc fight for sponsors (and find them) then a 7x wdc should have no issues finding them if that was the problem.

I don't think at any second Peter Sauber has concerns whether having MS onboard instead of a normal pay driver would be a problem for his budget. The exposure he will bring to the team is huge and I am sure he would be signed immediately. I think it's just MS weighing his options carefully

#231 Sof1

Sof1

• 606 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:08

Michael Schumacher is a household name all over the world. There aren't any F1 drivers with as much mass appeal as anywhere near Schumacher. Even, in the United States, where F1 is not so big, when someone is referring to driving fast, they mention Schumacher, maybe without even having watched a whole GP all their lives. In India (1+ Billion people) he is huge, he just made a telecom deal there with Airtel I believe. Why? cause he is a household name, very popular, he brings $$$$!!

No doubt about that!

Edited by Sof1, 03 October 2012 - 12:09.

#232 Suntrek

Suntrek

• 1,796 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:25

Agreed. I can't believe there are people here wanting Schumacher back at Ferrari. Ferrari is a totally different team today. No Todt, no specially built Ferrari Bridgestone tyres, no free testing, for example. Plus Schmacher is past best sell date. Alonso would eat him for breakfast. It would be a disaster for Schumacher and his legacy.

#233 Sof1

Sof1

• 606 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:33

Agreed. I can't believe there are people here wanting Schumacher back at Ferrari. Ferrari is a totally different team today. No Todt, no specially built Ferrari Bridgestone tyres, no free testing, for example. Plus Schmacher is past best sell date. Alonso would eat him for breakfast. It would be a disaster for Schumacher and his legacy.

Only one way to find out. If it was true, then Alonso would love to have him back and show the world how much better than Schumacher he is.

#234 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 3,020 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:34

Nobody believes Schumacher would challenge Alonso. But he would certainly do a better job than Massa - for sure. And Schumacher was great driver without bridgestone, todt and all the stuff you mentioned. :wave:

#235 eoin

eoin

• 5,010 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:38

Agreed that it's a totally different teams, it's Alonso's team which is why Alonso probably wouldn't have a problem with it. Schumacher's legacy has taken a hit over the last 3 years but it's hardly in tatters and nothing that would happen at Ferrari would make it worse.

#236 Fildischum

Fildischum

• 72 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 13:23

Going back to ferrari is a disaster for most but i believe it will be good for both michael and ferrari. Im sure michael has realized that another title is not a possibility considering his fighting against time but im sure he knows he can still win a race or two even if paired with alonso, and yes it would be a great headline for 2013 if ferrari wins the wcc with michael back at ferrari, alonso crowned wdc and schumi with some wins then retire for good. I know its just wishfull thinking but who knows... :)

#237 Suntrek

Suntrek

• 1,796 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 13:40

Only one way to find out. If it was true, then Alonso would love to have him back and show the world how much better than Schumacher he is.

Well, if that's the case Nico Rosberg has already showed the world he's a better driver than Schumacher. Not much left for Alonso to prove, is there? :kiss:

#238 Suntrek

Suntrek

• 1,796 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 13:47

Nobody believes Schumacher would challenge Alonso. But he would certainly do a better job than Massa - for sure. And Schumacher was great driver without bridgestone, todt and all the stuff you mentioned. :wave:

Yes, he was. Today however, I'm not sure he'd do a better job than Massa. My point was that Schumacher won't automatically metamorphose himself to the great driver he once was at Ferrari (and admittedly also before that) just because you put him in a Ferrari today. He'd be the same as he was at Mercedes, sometimes showing flashes of his "old" self but on the whole rather mediocre.

#239 Mr.Wayne

Mr.Wayne

• 572 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 13:48

Well, if that's the case Nico Rosberg has already showed the world he's a better driver than Schumacher. Not much left for Alonso to prove, is there? :kiss:

Nico Rosberg has shown the world that he was a much better driver than Schumacher in 2010; a better driver in 2011 and a (marginally) better in 2012... Probably in 1-2 years the tendency would have been reversed.
And I am not sure whether your transitive argument works: Does Fernando really feels he has something to prove against a driver way beyond his peak? And why Rosberg beating Schumacher is guarantee of Fernando having the job done? Following that logic, Alonso failed to beat a rookie Hamilton, but Button did manage that against an evolved Lewis... So, can we say that Button will have Fernando for breakfast? :confused:

Advertisement

#240 Mr.Wayne

Mr.Wayne

• 572 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 13:50

Yes, he was. Today however, I'm not sure he'd do a better job than Massa. My point was that Schumacher won't automatically metamorphose himself to the great driver he once was at Ferrari (and admittedly also before that) just because you put him in a Ferrari today. He'd be the same as he was at Mercedes, sometimes showing flashes of his "old" self but on the whole rather mediocre.

To be fair, he has been WAY better than mediocre. Mediocre in F1 is a word that should exclusively be applied to the HRT pair, but not to a driver who, this year at least, has given more often than not a run for his money to a highly rated top-midfield driver (and proven race winner) as Rosberg.

#241 Mr.Wayne

Mr.Wayne

• 572 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 13:52

Michael Schumacher is a household name all over the world. There aren't any F1 drivers with as much mass appeal as anywhere near Schumacher. Even, in the United States, where F1 is not so big, when someone is referring to driving fast, they mention Schumacher, maybe without even having watched a whole GP all their lives. In India (1+ Billion people) he is huge, he just made a telecom deal there with Airtel I believe. Why? cause he is a household name, very popular, he brings $$$$!!

No doubt about that!

On that logic, Bruno Senna would be the most popular driver in F1 because of his last name.

Michael was great at a time... Heck, even past his peak he only lost a title to a rising Alonso because of an engine failure with a handful of laps to go; but those days are long gone. A name sells way more when you can still evoke his brilliance, but if you show to the world what that big name has become, that might end up backfiring against you...

#242 schubacca

schubacca

• 799 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 13:55

Has he.....?

Watching this season, I would say that MSC has had the better of NR.

I think that NR stock has gone down this year, whilst MSC's has increased after a rough 2010 and a better 2011.

#243 Suntrek

Suntrek

• 1,796 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 14:09

Nico Rosberg has shown the world that he was a much better driver than Schumacher in 2010; a better driver in 2011 and a (marginally) better in 2012... Probably in 1-2 years the tendency would have been reversed.
And I am not sure whether your transitive argument works: Does Fernando really feels he has something to prove against a driver way beyond his peak? And why Rosberg beating Schumacher is guarantee of Fernando having the job done? Following that logic, Alonso failed to beat a rookie Hamilton, but Button did manage that against an evolved Lewis... So, can we say that Button will have Fernando for breakfast? :confused:

No, that's what I meant when answering another poster, sorry if I was unclear. I'm pretty sure Alonso doesn't at all feel he has something to prove against a Schumacher of today. Of course I can't be absolutely sure Alonso would get the job done against him, but I'd say the odds of doing that are very much in Alonso's favour. And I don't mean that just because X beats Y and Y beats Z and all that nonsense. For starters, with that kind of reasoning we haven't seen how Alonso would fare against Rosberg so comparisons can't be made...(joke!) :p

#244 sailor

sailor

• 585 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 14:14

I m not sure if its Massa you are talking about.

#245 Sof1

Sof1

• 606 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 15:09

On that logic, Bruno Senna would be the most popular driver in F1 because of his last name.

Michael was great at a time... Heck, even past his peak he only lost a title to a rising Alonso because of an engine failure with a handful of laps to go; but those days are long gone. A name sells way more when you can still evoke his brilliance, but if you show to the world what that big name has become, that might end up backfiring against you...

Bruno Senna? On the contrary, the Senna name is worth much less than the Schumacher name these days, as a household name, marketing brand (Please no one jump on to the defensive about which driver is better, I am talking about pure money making terms).

Being past his prime or not as a racing driver, has got nothing to do with him being a household name, his achievements still stand and are the the envy/target of all other drivers. He is still involved in the sports, he is still exposed to the masses through advertisements etc.. Thats what makes him the most recognised/valued name in Motorsport these days.

#246 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 15:16

Thats what makes him the most recognised/valued name in Motorsport these days.

I doubt that. I think it's probably between Alonso, Vettel and Hamilton these days..

There was a spike when Schumacher returned, but after 3 years of 'meh..' it has deflated a lot methinks.

It's not just about talent, even Danica Patrick does rather well in that regard..

#247 Sof1

Sof1

• 606 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 15:27

I doubt that. I think it's probably between Alonso, Vettel and Hamilton these days..

There was a spike when Schumacher returned, but after 3 years of 'meh..' it has deflated a lot methinks.

It's not just about talent, even Danica Patrick does rather well in that regard..

I am afraid you are not right on this one.

As per Forbes,

Michael Schumacher's personal Endorsements are worth $10 mil
Fernando Alonso's Personal Endorsements are worth $3 mil
Lewis Hamilton's Personal Endorsements are worth $3 mil
No mention of Vettel. I am not sure of his numbers either.

Clearly, you can see that Michael Schumacher's brand name is more when it comes to generating $$$.

Edited by Sof1, 03 October 2012 - 15:28.

#248 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 15:35

Well, I'm gonna trust you on the Forbes number, but it's not so clear since part of the reason Hamilton left McLaren is apparently due to the fact he will have more liberty at Mercedes in terms of personally cashing in on his own 'brand'..

#249 MatsNorway

MatsNorway

• 2,083 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 15:50

Schumacher surely is better than Felipe?

Personally i hope for Sauber.

Edited by MatsNorway, 03 October 2012 - 15:50.

#250 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,736 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 15:51

Schumacher surely is better than Felipe?

Personally i hope for Sauber.

You must be a masochist