Photo

Now for something different... Who remembers Max Wilson?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 berto

berto

• 270 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:22

Hello there guys!

Just bring the attention about two interesting articles in brazilian motorsport press. Dunno if you remember Max Wilson. Ex-F3000 driver, V8 Supercars, Cart, F1 test driver if I am not mistaken. He had a nice surprise last weekend in brazilian Stock Cars. It seems they found his first racing car and reunited both in the same track he drove it for the first time back in 1993. I found it quite amusing and wondered why they dont do that kind of stuf more often. From the pictures it seems he enjoyed immensily the experience of handling his old car at speed!

He is brazilian Stock Car champion by the way. Some kind of DTM i suppose.

http://www.correiodo...itlane/?p=11334

http://www.correiodo...itlane/?p=11324

http://blogdopassata...-passado-e.html

Advertisement

#2 packapoo

packapoo

• 731 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:27

Sure, I remember Max - even saw him trackside during his time in the V8s
Thanks for the links.

#3 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:42

Max Wilson seems like a very nice guy. The Brazil stock car ("BTM") series is really the top series in Brazil isn't it? The exact regulations would be a little different to DTM, but the principle of big aero + v8 engine would be quite similar.

#4 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,738 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:49

I was just thinking about him the other day. Considered posting on the GP2 thread that I thought he didn't get a fair shot and his talent stood up with a lot of the other Brazilians entering international motor sport in the mid-to-late-nineties, but then I decided I'd be laughed out of the thread and kept quiet.

But anyway. Drove a Phoenix-badged engine for the first few rounds of CART in 2001. That's what they called the Ilmor ex-Mercedes that year. My public service for the day.

#5 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:58

Yeah I remember the name.

#6 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 16:40

I remember Max Headroom.Does that count?

#7 BRG

BRG

• 25,941 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 16:54

I was just thinking about him the other day. Considered posting on the GP2 thread that I thought he didn't get a fair shot and his talent stood up with a lot of the other Brazilians entering international motor sport in the mid-to-late-nineties, but then I decided I'd be laughed out of the thread and kept quiet.

As I recall, his efforts in F3000 made the antics of Maldonado and Grosjean look rather tame.

#8 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 22:12

Max was a decent-ish driver. I think he was probably more talented than his results showed.

#9 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,738 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 22:18

Max was a decent-ish driver. I think he was probably more talented than his results showed.

Aha! A fellow light-seeker!

Incidentally, can anyone point me in the direction of some broadcast footage of the 1999 F3000 season? I draw a blank from Youtube and my preferred gentleman's racing torrent association.

#10 berto

berto

• 270 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:57

Nice I brought some attention. I remind you Max was tyre developer for Michelin before they got back to F1 in the 2000s. I think he wasnt fast as hell, but had good car feedback. He was also good adapting his style do different disciplines it seems. Pity I dont remind him driving in a big endurance race like Le Mans or Spa...

#11 Eff One 2002

Eff One 2002

• 1,132 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:30

I'll always remember him stuffing his Falcon into the tyre barrier right in front of the grandstand I was sitting in for the V8 Supercar support race of the 2002 Gold Coast CART GP.

#12 Bleu

Bleu

• 6,237 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:00

He was complete unknown for me before he took part in Interlagos round of the defunct ITC series. The three manufacturers brought local driver for last two races in Brazil and Japan (Suzuka). Mercedes put Christian Fittipaldi in the car, Alfa put Wilson and Opel chose also then-unknown Tony Kanaan. Wilson performed well in wet race and took 2nd in the 2nd heat. He led for some time until one of long-time Alfa touring car duo Larini/Nannini (they split the victories)passed him.

#13 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 11,067 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:59

I always thought that Max Wilson deserved a shot in F1, he was 2-3 years a Williams F1 test driver and he was ready to go to F1 with Minardi until an Argentine driver (Gaston Mazzacane) with lots of cash but less talent took that seat away from him at the very last moment.

#14 karlth

karlth

• 16,290 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:13

I always thought that Max Wilson deserved a shot in F1, he was 2-3 years a Williams F1 test driver ....

This is what happened to him:

http://www.motorspor...lson-minassian/

#15 berto

berto

• 270 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 21:21

This is what happened to him:

http://www.motorspor...lson-minassian/

Don`t know the conditions of the test, but for sure he wasn't too poor comparing to Montoya's laptime and was miles away from the rest of the pack in that session. No wonder Williams stick with his services as test driver!

Hey, bigger version of that report about his test with old single seater! Click here for google translated article

Edited by berto, 06 October 2012 - 21:24.