* * * * - 3 votes

2013 GP2 silly season

• Please log in to reply
766 replies to this topic

#451 KingB

KingB

• 324 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 17:09

For me, Addax has a pretty disappointing line up.
Jake Rosenzweig and Rio Haryanto? mh I don't have high expectations
Addax had quite strong line ups in history, so I was hoping for Quaife-Hobbs...

Advertisement

#452 charly0418

charly0418

• 1,376 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 17:17

Agree, seems like Addax keeps going downhill

#453 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 3,404 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 17:21

Yes they seem to be going downhill with a driver like Jake Rosenzweig in their line-up. About Haryanto: he may not be the best driver on the grid but I still rate him pretty high, he is a solid choice.

#454 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 17:21

They're a business at the end of the day, if a driver is offering more $'s then another then they are going to take him provided he has the appropriate license, just look at Serenelli!

#455 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 18:37

They're a business at the end of the day, if a driver is offering more $'s then another then they are going to take him provided he has the appropriate license, just look at Serenelli!

But there is a value to being regarded as one of the best teams, as that allows you to charge drivers more €s for a seat, so that requires you to employ decent drivers so you can achieve the best championship position possible.

Last season Addax had the chance to sign Valsecchi, but missed out in the end and regretted it. This year they've presumably had the chance to sign better drivers than Rosenzweig, on a comparable budget to the other top teams, but in the end opted for the biggest wallet.

#456 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 2,632 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 22:01

Haryanto isn't that bad, but it's the question of money.
Otherwise Agag is too much involved in Formula E?

#457 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,689 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 22:06

You make more money taking funded drivers than winning anything.

#458 KingB

KingB

• 324 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 22:27

Haryanto isn't that bad, but it's the question of money.

sure he isn't bad. but for me there are better drivers than him.
and for me addax was not like lazarus, rapax, ocean etc.

#459 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 3,404 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 22:46

Unfortunately that's true: hiring a well funded driver (e.g. a Venezolan) could be very profitable (if that driver doesn't crash too much) for a GP2 team, even more as hiring a competitive driver. Autosport is still a business.

Advertisement

#460 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 23:13

If you think that Lazarus make more money than Lotus GP, because one takes Binder and Serenelli and the other takes Calado and Abt, you're wrong. When Lotus Cars were looking for a team to sponsor in GP2, they didn't bother looking at the Ocean Racing Technology-class teams, they went for the best team on the grid. The crap teams take the well-funded drivers because they have to, not because they particularly want to. If they don't take the driver's money, they have no way of replacing that funding and go out of business.

#461 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,689 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 23:24

How much do you think Lotus gave ART? Whatever you come up with, cut it in half. And that's assuming they even got money.

#462 KateLM

KateLM

• 2,342 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:04

Given that Marussia can't even afford to pay their own drivers and Lotus Cars aren't exactly doing wonderfully either, I think it's rather safe to say there's little money in those deals - what's the point of splashing out on a series which gets so little exposure?

Surely it's quite simple - with the increasing budgets and current economic situation, there is only a limited number of drivers with a GP2 budget, and an even smaller pot of ones who are actually any good. The perceived better teams have the luxury of choice and snap the decent ones up, the rest have to make do with whoever they can find to pay.

As others have said, Haryanto is alright. Perhaps not the ideal lead driver, but I doubt it'll be the worst line-up on the grid.

#463 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 2,632 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:48

Berthon likely at Trident

DAMS: Marcus Ericsson – Stéphane Richelmi
Lotus: James Calado – Daniel Abt
Arden: Johnny Cecotto jr. – Mitch Evans
Racing Engineering: Fabio Leimer – Julián Leal
Carlin: Felipe Nasr – Jolyon Palmer
iSport: Pål Varhaug (?) – Adrian Quaife-Hobbs (?)
Caterham: Alexander Rossi (?) – Simon Trummer (?)
Addax: Jake Rosenzweig – Rio Haryanto
Rapax: Stefan Coletti – Daniel Juncadella (?)
Trident: Fabio Onidi (?) – Nathanaël Berthon (?)
Hilmer: Kevin Mirocha (?) – Chris van der Drift (?)
Lazarus: René Binder – Sergio Canamasas (?)
MP: Daniël de Jong – Rodolfo Gonzalez (?)

#464 Anja

Anja

• 547 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 19:04

Trummer confirmed at Rapax:

http://www.gp2series...forces-in-2013/

#465 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,105 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:57

van der Drift cannot afford racing outside of some lower tier GT / Touring Car outings, and doesn't look to change. And unless the Godwin's Law team has serious backing, VDD is looking like he might go back to New Zealand.

#466 Jackman

Jackman

• 12,828 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:54

Mirocha hasn't got two coins to rub together - doesn't stop him being put on the list. Ironically at the same place.

#467 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 2,632 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 15:08

Who else could drive for Hilmer? He said: One experienced driver and a new one.

DAMS: Marcus Ericsson – Stéphane Richelmi
Lotus: James Calado – Daniel Abt
Arden: Johnny Cecotto jr. – Mitch Evans
Racing Engineering: Fabio Leimer – Julián Leal
Carlin: Felipe Nasr – Jolyon Palmer
iSport: Pål Varhaug (?) – Adrian Quaife-Hobbs (?)
Caterham: Alexander Rossi (?) – Lucas Foresti (?)
Addax: Jake Rosenzweig – Rio Haryanto
Rapax: Stefan Coletti – Simon Trummer
Trident: Fabio Onidi (?) – Nathanaël Berthon (?)
Hilmer: Kevin Mirocha (?) – Chris van der Drift (?)
Lazarus: René Binder – Sergio Canamasas (?)
MP: Daniël de Jong – Rodolfo Gonzalez (?)

#468 Jackman

Jackman

• 12,828 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 15:27

Probably drivers with budgets.

#469 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,105 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 16:11

For Hilmer, probably Clos or someone with a lot of experience like Gonzalez or even Leimer. If new, it's a bunch of kids. Depending on how serious the team is in terms of wanting to win now, it could go from a guy like Korjus (who needs to revamp himself after a tough 2012 in FR3.5) or Carlos Huertas, to the kids whose daddies bank account is bigger than their skill set behind the wheel.

#470 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 2,632 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 17:12

Leimer stays at Racing Engineering, Huertas will drive for Carlin in WSbR.

#471 Mohican

Mohican

• 830 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 16:47

And so does iSport...no mention of drivers there so far. I can see why Ericsson and Palmer both wanted out.

#472 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 18:16

And so does iSport...no mention of drivers there so far. I can see why Ericsson and Palmer both wanted out.

You would think there would be more interest from drivers to take a seat at a championship winning team which won two races last season. Unless there's a lot going on behind the scenes, with drivers like Juncadella, Král, Dillmann, Vainio etc. all bidding for seats. But you think we would have heard something.

#473 KingB

KingB

• 324 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 18:46

I mean you already heard something about e.g. Arden before their announcements. You almost knew they would take Cecotto and Evans. But you hear nothing about iSport. I haven't a clue about them.

#474 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 13:04

@varhaug:
I had a nice day at the caterham F1 factory yesterday. Good talk😏 pic.twitter.com/CHrnQGJN

The person he met at Caterham's factory was Nino Singh Judge, CEO of Caterham Racing. So...Pål Varhaug to Caterham, perhaps?

#475 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,806 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 14:07

The person he met at Caterham's factory was Nino Singh Judge, CEO of Caterham Racing. So...Pål Varhaug to Caterham, perhaps?

GP2 or... F1? The way F1 is going I wouldn't rule him out of the running for the seat there. :lol:

#476 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 14:09

GP2 or... F1? The way F1 is going I wouldn't rule him out of the running for the seat there. :lol:

I very much doubt Varhaug will make it to F1 for 2013 - unless he's the replacement for Glock at Marussia, or if he's going to be announced at Scorpion! :lol:

#477 charly0418

charly0418

• 1,376 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 18:43

Apparently Frijns is trying to find a seat in GP2:

"Robin is still young and we should not put too much weight on his every word," Kaltenborn told Blick.

"He has admitted to saying that but he is also irritated because he has not yet found a place in GP2 this season."

Kaltenborn, though, did hint that Frijns would get to drive during at least one Friday practice as she feels that is a good way to help young drivers grow.

She added: "The development for the young drivers is a problem.

"It would be best if each team was required to allow the test driver at least one Friday."

Probably missing $ as he has all the talent in the world to be in GP2

#478 Jackman

Jackman

• 12,828 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 23:54

Frijns + iSport = Amazeballs

#479 Kyo

Kyo

• 856 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:54

Frijns + iSport = Amazeballs

:up:

Would love to see that!

Advertisement

#480 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,210 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:32

I'm guessing this means Mitch Evans is with Red Bull now, I doubt he'd be wearing that out of choice ;)

Posted Image

#481 KateLM

KateLM

• 2,342 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:50

Abt wears a Red Bull hat and helmet but isn't in the junior team. Could just be sponsorship from their local subsidiaries rather than the Marko side. Particularly as the young driver programme doesn't "do" GP2 anymore.

#482 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,689 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:51

I dunno, these kids have don't know how to dress at the best of times.

#483 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:58

Interesting, i guess Mitch was in a good position to benefit from some kind of RB sponsorship, what with his connection to Mark Webber. Not sure he'd get into the driver programme at the minute, what with Da Costa, Sainz, Kvyat and now Blomqvist all part of it.

Sadly without the $'s i can't see him getting into F1, honestly i would be (pleasantly) surprised if he got a 2014 drive even if he won GP2 this year, the way the driver market has gone over the last year or two.

#484 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,105 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 14:01

Interesting, i guess Mitch was in a good position to benefit from some kind of RB sponsorship, what with his connection to Mark Webber. Not sure he'd get into the driver programme at the minute, what with Da Costa, Sainz, Kvyat and now Blomqvist all part of it.

Sadly without the $'s i can't see him getting into F1, honestly i would be (pleasantly) surprised if he got a 2014 drive even if he won GP2 this year, the way the driver market has gone over the last year or two.

If he won the title in GP2 this season, at his age, I think a team, a Red Bull team, would make a spot open for him.

#485 KateLM

KateLM

• 2,342 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 15:57

Yeah his age makes him stand out a bit - that being said, I think this is all academic as he's pretty unlikely to take the title in his first year. I'd be more worried about Calado, he hasn't got that selling point and the apparent lack of interest from the F1 teams this year must be rather concerning given that he's only got RSF.

#486 AJFIN

AJFIN

• 134 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 17:21

Abt wears a Red Bull hat and helmet but isn't in the junior team. Could just be sponsorship from their local subsidiaries rather than the Marko side. Particularly as the young driver programme doesn't "do" GP2 anymore.

At least in the past, the Red Bull Junior Team deals had a clause that you had to wear RB colors/logo on your helmet etc. for a year or two even after you got kicked out. I don't know if it was a standard like "if we kick you out, you must wear Red Bull helmet for the next 3 years" or if it was more like "your contract is for 7 years, but you got kicked out after year 5, so you must still use it for the next two years."

#487 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 17:37

At least in the past, the Red Bull Junior Team deals had a clause that you had to wear RB colors/logo on your helmet etc. for a year or two even after you got kicked out. I don't know if it was a standard like "if we kick you out, you must wear Red Bull helmet for the next 3 years" or if it was more like "your contract is for 7 years, but you got kicked out after year 5, so you must still use it for the next two years."

When i read your post i thought "Nah, i can't see how that would work, no chance."

5 minutes of research later and i found this picture of Brendon Hartley some 18 months after he was dropped by the RB driver programme! :D

Posted Image

#488 KateLM

KateLM

• 2,342 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 17:53

I think I'd heard something about that before, but like you I immediately thought "Nah, that can't be right!". I suppose it's a generous deal whilst you have it but not being able to sell that helmet space after they ditch you must be a bit galling.

But still, to my knowledge Abt has never been in the junior team which is why I assume his sponsorship is probably from Red Bull Germany.

#489 AJFIN

AJFIN

• 134 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 18:01

I think I'd heard something about that before, but like you I immediately thought "Nah, that can't be right!". I suppose it's a generous deal whilst you have it but not being able to sell that helmet space after they ditch you must be a bit galling.

But still, to my knowledge Abt has never been in the junior team which is why I assume his sponsorship is probably from Red Bull Germany.

It probably is, but who knows. Red Bull also sponsors many drivers outside the official junior team. They've also provided funding to drivers who aren't officially in the junior team, and don't even have any kind of Red Bull logos in their car/helmet/suit/etc.

#490 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,689 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 18:04

I've heard worse rumours about the RB Junior Team requirements.

#491 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,871 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 18:04

There has been lot of talk in Norway lately that Pål Varhaug is in talks with the "team with green cars"... Not that I see that as very likely...

#492 Jackman

Jackman

• 12,828 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 22:38

Lewis Williamson hasn't worn Red Bull logos on his helmet or anywhere since being dropped by them.

#493 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 23:26

There has been lot of talk in Norway lately that Pål Varhaug is in talks with the "team with green cars"... Not that I see that as very likely...

Well, we know that he met with Caterham Racing's CEO at the team factory, so it wouldn't surprise me.

#494 sentoan

sentoan

• 16 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 13:39

Well, hi i'm sentoan from @GP2_es And i have some info for you.

First, yesterday i talk with Hilmer Motorsport, they announce his drivers this weekend, one experimented and one rookie. His livery will be Orange, Grey and Blue http://translate.goo.....in-de-semana/

I talk with iSport too, they tell me that he had 5 options (I think that they are Gonzalez, Hobbs, Varhaug, Regalia (how don't have all the buddget and he goes probably to GP3 with Art) and Canamasas (who tell me that he had cheaper offers than isport offer)). We will have news next weekend.

Caterham had Alexander Rossi signed since last week, but not official announcement for now. The other driver, probably Varhaug.

At Trident Canamasas, Berthon, Onidi and Giovesi are probably

Venezuela Lazarus wants ONLY a Venezuelan driver por his second seat, NOT Serenelli, NOT Canamasas, probably González o Rober la Rocca.

And Manor motorsport probably put Lucas Foresti in his second seat

Edited by sentoan, 05 February 2013 - 18:04.

#495 AJFIN

AJFIN

• 134 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 13:56

Lewis Williamson hasn't worn Red Bull logos on his helmet or anywhere since being dropped by them.

What has he driven after last season (which was his only year in the junior team)?

#496 Jackman

Jackman

• 12,828 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 14:09

GP3 with Status.

#497 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 15:44

Well, hi i'm sentoan from @GP2_es And i have some info for you.

First, yesterday i talk with Hilmer Motorsport, they announce his drivers this weekend, one experimented and one rookie. His livery will be Orange, Grey and Blue http://translate.goo.....in-de-semana/

I talk with iSport too, they tell me that he had 5 options (I think that they are Gonzalez, Hobbs, Varhaug, Regalia (how don't have all the buddget and he goes probably to GP3 with Art) and Canamasas (who tell me that he had cheaper offers than isport offer)). We will have news next weekend.

Caterham had Alexander Rossi signed since last week, but not confirmed. The other driver, probably Varhaug.

At Trident Canamasas, Berthon, Onidi and Giovesi are probably

Venezuela Lazarus wants ONLY a Venezuelan driver por his second seat, NOT Serenelli, NOT Canamasas, probably González o Rober la Rocca.

And Manor motorsport probably put Lucas Foresti in his second seat

I follow @GP2_es, so good to see you. Can you say who you spoke to in Hilmer Motorsport? Do you know why their website is not up yet?

Also, are Venezuela GP Lazarus really considering González? Last year they were quite disparaging about him. The only place I have seen the Roberto la Rocca rumour is your site, do you have a Spanish language source for the story? It would be quite a step up for him to go from struggling in F3 to GP2 (but he can't be worse than Serenelli).

I thought that Rodolfo González was in contention at MP Motorsport, given that he tested for the team alongside Daniel de Jong in Auto GP. Is that not the case?

#498 sentoan

sentoan

• 16 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 17:38

I follow @GP2_es, so good to see you. Can you say who you spoke to in Hilmer Motorsport? Do you know why their website is not up yet?

Also, are Venezuela GP Lazarus really considering González? Last year they were quite disparaging about him. The only place I have seen the Roberto la Rocca rumour is your site, do you have a Spanish language source for the story? It would be quite a step up for him to go from struggling in F3 to GP2 (but he can't be worse than Serenelli).

I thought that Rodolfo González was in contention at MP Motorsport, given that he tested for the team alongside Daniel de Jong in Auto GP. Is that not the case?

First with Ruth Gandolfer, who pass me to another integrant of the team, i wont say the name ;), i explain why the web is not online in my article, but google translator don't translate it well. They have a problem for upload the web to the server and they are trying to solve that.

The contract Venezuela-Lazarus includes a key that say if Lazarus contract a Venezuelan driver, the sponsor will pay the full season of the driver, so Lazarus needs to do that, ever can contract another driver of another country, but if they do that, Venezuela will pay less money to the team. So they are looking for a Venezuelan driver. Gonzalez can pay for himself a seat in another team, but Lazarus needs a Venezuelan driver.

And La Rocca wants to do GP3, he knows that is the best for him, but he can go to GP2 and venezuela wants it. http://www.vdeportes...e-correr-en-gp2

Edited by sentoan, 05 February 2013 - 17:39.

#499 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 17:43

Thank you :)

Advertisement

#500 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 3,404 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 19:16

The only place I have seen the Roberto la Rocca rumour is your site, do you have a Spanish language source for the story? It would be quite a step up for him to go from struggling in F3 to GP2 (but he can't be worse than Serenelli).

Well, Roberto La Rocca was very dominant in the US Formula Ford 2000 championship, winning almost every race (in a weak championship though):

http://en.wikipedia....p_Series_season