• Please log in to reply
766 replies to this topic

#51 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:55

We could make a list of the drivers who will test for the teams:

Marlon Stöckinger (iSport)
Facundo Regalia (iSport/Racing Engineering)

Is that confirmed? Any links for it?

Advertisement

#52 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,077 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:11

How about the list of testing drivers is the times from the day they are testing.

#53 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:22

Is that confirmed? Any links for it?

Facu Regalia

I think I'm correct in saying that the current GP2 teams are locked in for 2013 (Coloni excepted), after which they all have to sign new contracts? So any team that joined next year would only be guaranteed a spot for one season, after which they run the risk of losing it, which might mean that prospective teams will not bother entering for 2013, and will instead wait to enter for 2014.

#54 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:27

Facu Regalia

I think I'm correct in saying that the current GP2 teams are locked in for 2013 (Coloni excepted), after which they all have to sign new contracts? So any team that joined next year would only be guaranteed a spot for one season, after which they run the risk of losing it, which might mean that prospective teams will not bother entering for 2013, and will instead wait to enter for 2014.

Thanks, but I'm actually looking for confirmation on Marlon. I could not find any though while searching on google.

#55 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 2,560 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:37

There is a partnership between Status and iSport that the best Status driver (Stöckinger) will test for the iSport GP2 team.

#56 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:43

Isn't that for the leader of the 2013 GP3 championship Status driver? That's how I understood it though.

Edited by encircled, 05 October 2012 - 11:43.

#57 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:07

Isn't that for the leader of the 2013 GP3 championship Status driver? That's how I understood it though.

That's what I thought. The announcements all say that the test will be for the leading Status driver in the 2013 championship. They might test Stockinger if he pays for it though.

#58 CrossF1

CrossF1

• 95 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 19:40

Rio Haryanto has offers from Carlin, DAMS and Rapax.

#59 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,105 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 20:06

You mean he's turned up with a big sack of cash and they're waiting to see if any better drivers bigger sacks turn up?

Someone please tell me Serenelli and Teixeria are finally gone?

Advertisement

#60 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,929 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 20:36

All it will take is 12 races in the pouring rain and he'll be Champion :p

#61 KateLM

KateLM

• 2,341 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 21:01

Yeah, I think offers is less the right word than price-tags.

Fingers crossed that Serenelli sticks to Auto GP, if Gonzalez sticks around then hopefully PDVSA will be happy with just one useless Venezualan.

There will always be teams desperate enough to take them for the right incentives though, and I'm not holding out hope that Texeira will have the decency to give it up.

#62 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 2,560 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 21:24

Sources?

#63 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,105 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 21:57

There will always be teams desperate enough to take them for the right incentives though, and I'm not holding out hope that Texeira will have the decency to give it up.

Alas you are completely correct. Teixeria has been bouncing from series to series for years being completely off the pace and hasn't got the message yet. It's not like it's his first season in mid-level Motorsport where he wants a fresh start elsewhere.

And for those who argue it's his money to waste, ultimately the poor talents with big wallets are the ones driving up the costs for everyone else. If they didn't spend so much, many of the struggling drivers would be able to afford to drive.

#64 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 21:28

As predicted, Mitch Evans will test for Arden. If he can get sponsorship on place a drive at either DAMS or Arden is an option for next season.

#65 KateLM

KateLM

• 2,341 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 14:35

And Boullier has apparently contributed some investment in Evans. Interesting, given that Gravity already have Stanaway on their books.

Meanwhile, Quaife-Hobbs is testing with Arden and Addax. If he thinks that he can raise a budget for GP2 then I'm not sure why he moved to Auto GP - unless he thought he couldn't risk a third go at GP3 without winning the title and thought he needed to get one on his CV from somewhere. Which, thinking about it, is very plausible.

#66 KingB

KingB

• 320 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 15:49

Does winning the AutoGP count even one penny? :lol:

#67 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,929 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 16:42

Hey it worked for Grosjean  ;)

#68 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 17:18

If you're talking money, €20,000 for winning a round (€10,000 for 2nd, €5,000 for 3rd) - I'm not sure how much the prize for winning the championship, but I think it's about €100,000. So it's not insignificant, but it's not enough to buy a drive in GP2 - as a driver you just have to hope that your success attracts sponsors.

#69 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 2,560 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 19:37

I think Quaife-Hobbs has also chances to go to Marussia Carlin, as he drove for Marussia Manor in GP3 before moving to Auto GP

#70 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 2,560 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 15:49

DAMS: Rio Haryanto (?) – Arthur Pic (?)
Lotus: Daniel Abt (?) – Aaro Vainio (?)
Arden: Simon Trummer (?) – Mitch Evans (?)
Racing Engineering: Nathanaël Berthon (?) – Facundo Regalia (?)
Carlin: Adrian Quaife-Hobbes (?) – Daniël de Jong (?)
iSport: Jolyon Palmer (?) – Marlon Stöckinger (?)
Caterham: Alexander Rossi (?) – Jazeman Jaafar (?)
Addax: Johnny Cecotto jr. (?) – Daniel Juncadella (?)
Rapax: Stefano Coletti (?) – René Binder (?)
Trident: Kevin Ceccon (?) – Giovanni Venturini (?)
Ocean: Jon Lancaster (?) – Koudai Tsukakoshi (?)
Lazarus: Rodolfo Gonzalez (?) – Sergio Campana (?)
Stefan (?): Sergey Sirotkin (?) – Tamás Pál Kiss (?)

#71 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,077 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 19:34

What is that, testing lineup?

#72 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 20:46

What is that, testing lineup?

No, it's his guess what the lineups for next year might be.

#73 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 21:12

Confirmed testing:

Arden - Mitch Evans; Adrian Quaife-Hobbs
DAMS - Mitch Evans
Addax - Adrian Quaife-Hobbs
iSport - Facundo Regalia
Racing Engineering - Facundo Regalia

I think that's it for now.

#74 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,366 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 21:39

Just read that Nigel Melker has the possibility to test for both DAMS and Racing Engineering: http://www.ad.nl/ad/...GP2-teams.dhtml

#75 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 22:44

Just read that Nigel Melker has the possibility to test for both DAMS and Racing Engineering: http://www.ad.nl/ad/...GP2-teams.dhtml

Unless the word doesn't translate how I think it does, I would not describe Nigel Melker as 'toptalent'. Could be interesting to see him in a better team than Ocean though.

#76 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,366 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 22:53

Unless the word doesn't translate how I think it does, I would not describe Nigel Melker as 'toptalent'. Could be interesting to see him in a better team than Ocean though.

Neither would I.

But let's just think that it is used in a 'national' context - and I guess we should think that way keeping in mind how narrow minded this Dutch paper usually is. Then it makes some sense.

#77 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:38

I think Esteban Gurrieri will be doing a GP2 simulator session, as he tweeted: "Felicitaciones #Misil por la victoria!! Voy a esforzarme en el simu GP2 para intentar cortar con tu seguidilla..jajaj. abzo @rossimatias" Not sure where he'll be doing it, don't know why or if he would want to move from Indy Lights to GP2 at the age of 28.

#78 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 2,560 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:29

So testing line-up:

Arden - Mitch Evans; Adrian Quaife-Hobbs
DAMS - Mitch Evans; Nigel Melker
Addax - Adrian Quaife-Hobbs
iSport - Facundo Regalia
Racing Engineering - Facundo Regalia; Nigel Melker

#79 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:14

Another rumour for Coloni's replacement: Team Meritus (also known as "the other Malaysian team") might be looking to enter, having failed in their previous bid to replace Super Nova. Other rumours:

Marcus Ericsson to Addax to partner Johnny Cecotto Jr.
Felipe Nasr to ART replacing James Calado (who does not have the budget to remain in GP2 next season)
Aaro Vainio promoted to ART to partner Felipe Nasr (as Vainio is managed by Nicolas Todt)

Madness.

Worth noting that the GP2 ceremony is today, so Valsecchi will get his trophy, and the other drivers will be hob-nobbing with team managers!

Advertisement

#80 Jackman

Jackman

• 12,722 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:20

It's Friday, actually.

#81 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:22

It's Friday, actually.

D'oh. Thanks for catching that.

#82 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 2,560 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 16:07

Another rumour for Coloni's replacement: Team Meritus (also known as "the other Malaysian team") might be looking to enter, having failed in their previous bid to replace Super Nova.

Any sources about Meritus?

#83 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 16:59

Any sources about Meritus?

Just twitterings at the moment. Nothing solid enough.

EDIT: And by nothing solid, I mean that a the moment Stefan GP rumours are more sourced.

Edited by BackmarkerUK, 15 October 2012 - 17:01.

#84 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,077 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 17:12

It's good enough for Mr Rumour.

#85 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 23:17

Facu Regalia: "The goal for 2013 is GP2"

Ericsson hopes for a new GP2 chance: "There is great interest"

At the end of the month Rio Haryanto will test in Spain

Abt - Williams test driver?

Fighting for a Formula 1 dream - without a penny in salary

So Facu Regalia seems to have a budget more or less in place (maybe courtesy of the Argentine government's sudden interest in F1, see Mar del Plata grand prix plans). If you asked me to guess, I'd think he would be at Racing Engineering.

Marcus Ericsson claims all the top teams want him! But it perhaps suggests he's leaving iSport.

Rio Haryanto will be testing in Barcelona. Given he claims that he has offers from Carlin, Rapax and DAMS, I assume he'll be testing with Rapax and DAMS. I had heard he wanted to stay based in the UK, which would make Carlin the logical choice.

Abt might 'do a Bottas' and skip competing in GP2 to become Williams test driver, if Bottas gets promoted to a race seat. If he goes to GP2, ART is the most likely destination.

Also, Jardar Varhaug (father of the self-style Norwegian Schumacher Pål Varhaug) says GP2 is the plan for next season as long as they can interest American investors, and there are lots of interested teams (who clearly have short memories and don't remember his previous season in GP2).

#86 KateLM

KateLM

• 2,341 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 00:47

HistoryFan - Evans is only confirmed to be testing for Arden I think, not DAMS.

The 'great interest' in Ericsson probably stems from the fact that most drivers with similar experience will be moving on and he might be able to do a Valsecchi. I think Formula 1 stopped caring a couple of years back so I can't really see what he is going to achieve from that though.

But let's face it, in most of the cases where there is 'great interest' the interest is in the ability to pay.

For some reason my network thinks the link about Abt is a high risk site so I can't read it and judge, but my first thought was "really?". He's good, but he's not *that* good in my opinion. Not yet, anyway. Sitting out of racing in anger for a year doesn't seem like a logical way to learn and improve as a driver. Mind you, I didn't think it was a good idea for Bottas either but at least he had more experience than Abt in both the feeder categories and working with the F1 team.

The only way I can see that being true is if Williams need his sponsorship - he seemed to be pretty well funded compared to his rivals in GP3.

#87 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,690 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:45

Also, Jardar Varhaug (father of the self-style Norwegian Schumacher Pål Varhaug) says GP2 is the plan for next season as long as they can interest American investors, and there are lots of interested teams (who clearly have short memories and don't remember his previous season in GP2).

Well, as a Norwegian, I don't think Pål deserves a second chance in GP2, however, all the teams he have been in, has praised his technical knowledge, and ability to give very good feedback. That might be a thing that is in some interest among the slower teams.

#88 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 20:56

Well, as a Norwegian, I don't think Pål deserves a second chance in GP2, however, all the teams he have been in, has praised his technical knowledge, and ability to give very good feedback. That might be a thing that is in some interest among the slower teams.

He did better in Auto GP this year, though Auto GP is a weaker series. He's still young, only 21, so it would be a shame that his career was ended by one (admittedly) bad season in GP2, when drivers like Jolyon Palmer and Rodolfo Gonzalez get to come back. That said, I don't see him ever making it to F1, so there's the argument that if he gets a seat he's denying a better driver a seat, but the likes of Serenelli and Teixeira have more to answer for on that front.

Interview with Sergio Canamasas - nothing too illuminating that one couldn't have guessed, just that his goal is to drive in GP2 next season.

Interestingly Luciano Bacheta has picked up a new sponsor, Robust Energy Drink. Probably not enough to buy a GP2 seat for him, but positive moves. Also, Scott Malvern's been doing GP3 simulations in McLaren's simulator, so he might be off there next year.

#89 Henrik B

Henrik B

• 2,705 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 22:55

The 'great interest' in Ericsson probably stems from the fact that most drivers with similar experience will be moving on and he might be able to do a Valsecchi. I think Formula 1 stopped caring a couple of years back so I can't really see what he is going to achieve from that though.

Ericsson is 22, birthday a month ago. So a "couple years back" he was 19, and if you haven't won GP2 or equivalent by then your career is over? Lucky for Schumacher that rule wasn't in place back in the 90s.

He is probably not the next WDC, but he was good in the latter part of the season and actually outscored everyone the last six races after a really crappy start to the season. It would probably have been better for his reputation (atleast on this board) to fart around in a lower series a couple of years until he was prepared and experienced but he moved very early to GP2 and he's probably a better driver for it. Just has to live with the "too old" stigma.

I still (talked about this before) find it fascinating that motorsport is about the only sport where you are not "allowed" to train and become better over time. If you are the best driver your fourth year in a series you somehow cheated and it doesn't really count...

#90 KateLM

KateLM

• 2,341 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 23:22

Ericsson is 22, birthday a month ago. So a "couple years back" he was 19, and if you haven't won GP2 or equivalent by then your career is over? Lucky for Schumacher that rule wasn't in place back in the 90s.

He is probably not the next WDC, but he was good in the latter part of the season and actually outscored everyone the last six races after a really crappy start to the season. It would probably have been better for his reputation (atleast on this board) to fart around in a lower series a couple of years until he was prepared and experienced but he moved very early to GP2 and he's probably a better driver for it. Just has to live with the "too old" stigma.

I still (talked about this before) find it fascinating that motorsport is about the only sport where you are not "allowed" to train and become better over time. If you are the best driver your fourth year in a series you somehow cheated and it doesn't really count...

He didn't have to win it by then but he was probably expected to do better than 17th.

There's a difference between training and improving, and hanging around until everyone better has moved on. It can be a fine line calling between the two and maybe sometimes it is a bit unfair, but then life is unfair. Maybe it would have helped Marcus to take things a bit slower, maybe it wouldn't. Either way it's all academic.

#91 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 3,250 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 23:24

I absolutely agree with Henrik B on this matter. I found it amazing how drivers who perform well after for example 3 seasons get criticized for this. But people forget that we are talking about very young drivers and some need more time to mature and become better. Just like in real life, some people need more time to mature. Of course it is obvious that a driver winning in his 1st season or at a very young age is a hot prospect but my opinion is that any driver winning a title or winning races at GP2 level is ready for F1, no matter if that took him 3 years, when he is winning a title or several races, then he is mature and at that point in his carreer ready for the next step. I guess it's a sign of the times that people expect immediate results and that people don't have patience anymore, that goes for F1 too. In the 1980's drivers had the chance to grow over several seasons but that's unthinkable nowadays, people want immediate performance. Look at what happened to Alguersuari at Toro Rosso: the youngest driver to start a F1 race and excellent progression over the next 2 seasons but still he got dropped, although he was still very young (looks like he could make a comeback next year).

#92 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,077 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 23:56

The people who get criticised for only winning after a while have a small problem. Their pre series-whatever CV's are really weak. Maldonado had a good pre-GP2 CV, so did Pantano. If anything it was strange it took them so long. Perez and Valsecchi? Meh.

#93 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 13:06

Article (in Portuguese) about Nasr in 2013

My Portuguese isn't great (and google translate hasn't helped much either), but he's either definitely leaving DAMS, or he's weighing up options, one of which is Nasr.

GP2 Series official twitter account says there's a driver announcement on the way. Maybe a coincidence, but Stockinger and Fumanelli both say they will soon have announcements. More probably Evans to Arden, Nasr to ART, or Haryanto to Rapax or DAMS.

EDIT: Okay, from twitter it seems that it translates as him saying he won't be at DAMS. So ART? Worth remembering he has plenty of funding from Banco do Brasil.

EDIT2: And the rumour is that Daniel Juncadella will test for Rapax (maybe as well as Addax?) - announcement due after Macau.

Edited by BackmarkerUK, 18 October 2012 - 13:16.

#94 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 13:20

From Marlon Stockinger's twitter

Good news to be announced soon! I feel so blessed! I'll be sure to make the most of what is ahead! :)

#95 A.Fant

A.Fant

• 151 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 13:20

The people who get criticised for only winning after a while have a small problem. Their pre series-whatever CV's are really weak. Maldonado had a good pre-GP2 CV, so did Pantano. If anything it was strange it took them so long. Perez and Valsecchi? Meh.

Ericsson does have a good pre-GP2 CV though. He won the Japanese F3 championship and dominated in his British F3 appearances that year. He was then mighty in the GP2 testing, but that pace seemed to vanish when the actual competition started. It seems it has taken him a while to get comfortable in GP2 for some reason.

#96 ezequiel

ezequiel

• 877 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 14:00

So Facu Regalia seems to have a budget more or less in place (maybe courtesy of the Argentine government's sudden interest in F1, see Mar del Plata grand prix plans). If you asked me to guess, I'd think he would be at Racing Engineering.

Nah, he's sponsored by his dad's company, Varlion, and some private companies from Spain. The Argentine government is not giving money to a race car driver any time soon, only Guerrieri could a have a small chance to get (probably indirect) state support to race Indy Cars.

#97 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 15:03

From Marlon Stockinger's twitter

Stockinger's news is that he will be testing in Formula Renault 3.5 - just announced.

#98 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 15:08

Stockinger's news is that he will be testing in Formula Renault 3.5 - just announced.

Thanks! Just seen the announcement!

#99 KateLM

KateLM

• 2,341 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 15:41

I quite rated Ericsson in 2009 but I can't see an argument to suggest that he's been anything other than disappointing overall in his three years of GP2.

And I don't think it will be Fumanelli either. I reckon he's got more potential than the points showed in GP3, but spending so much on GP2 now doesn't make sense after coming in so far behind his teammates this year. Not that that stopped Trummer, mind you - although he was rather light on the potential front too.

I suppose the announcement could be about Nasr given all the chat about him leaving DAMS recently, but I'm rather expecting to be underwhelmed. So Regalia it is, then. :p

Advertisement

#100 KateLM

KateLM

• 2,341 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 16:57

Coletti joins Rapax.

Could be worse, but still on the underwhelming side.