2013 GP2 silly season

• Please log in to reply
766 replies to this topic

#101 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 17:13

Coletti joins Rapax.

Could be worse, but still on the underwhelming side.

Huh. Wouldn't have thought teams were falling over themselves to sign him up. So Coletti - Haryanto or Coletti - Juncadella next season?

Advertisement

#102 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,939 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 18:07

Coletti joins Rapax.

Could be worse, but still on the underwhelming side.

I was surprised, on checking, that he's only done 2 years of GP2. He's one of those drivers who seem to have been around for ever, without ever doing anything too impressive :well:

#103 cbbcisace

cbbcisace

• 1,081 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 18:09

Nah, he's sponsored by his dad's company, Varlion, and some private companies from Spain. The Argentine government is not giving money to a race car driver any time soon, only Guerrieri could a have a small chance to get (probably indirect) state support to race Indy Cars.

Wouldn't the Varlion association not give him a chance at HRT?

#104 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 19:46

It seems that Ma Qing Hua has been using the Addax simulator recently. Now this could either be part of his normal training as part of HRT as they don;t have their own simulator yet, or it could be in preparation for him racing in GP2 next season with Addax. If Addax did have a line up of Cecotto and Ma next season it would really make a mockery of their claims to be one of the best teams in GP2.

#105 cbbcisace

cbbcisace

• 1,081 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 20:07

It seems that Ma Qing Hua has been using the Addax simulator recently. Now this could either be part of his normal training as part of HRT as they don;t have their own simulator yet, or it could be in preparation for him racing in GP2 next season with Addax. If Addax did have a line up of Cecotto and Ma next season it would really make a mockery of their claims to be one of the best teams in GP2.

Ma has been working with Addax for a while, he has been driving the old GP2 cars in preparation for the YDT in Silverstone, although I think there is some sort of partnerships between HRT and Addax but nothing official.;)

Addax helped HRT out when they was temporary based in Valencia and a few staff moved to HRT last winter.

BTW HRT use Williams' Sim.

Edited by cbbcisace, 19 October 2012 - 20:08.

#106 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 20:16

BTW HRT use Williams' Sim.

Presumably it's easier for them to pop round to Addax every now and then, instead of having to fly to Oxfordshire. Or maybe there's something in it with regards a GP2 link.

#107 cbbcisace

cbbcisace

• 1,081 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 20:22

Presumably it's easier for them to pop round to Addax every now and then, instead of having to fly to Oxfordshire. Or maybe there's something in it with regards a GP2 link.

Fair point, think there will be a future link up between Addax and HRT, quite soon as well ;)

HRT pay for the gearboxes and Sim activity from William's this year and only this year because they are having their own sim fitted soon.

HRT are known to want to change there name, Barwa Addax F1 Team anyone? A merger together?

#108 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 20:38

HRT are known to want to change there name, Barwa Addax F1 Team anyone? A merger together?

Haha, maybe!

#109 GX390

GX390

• 749 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:55

https://twitter.com/...253926979837952

#110 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,048 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:17

https://twitter.com/...253926979837952

Hopefully he'll be in a decent team, thinking ART/DAMS. Will be interesting to see how he's managed to get enough money together now his RSF help has finished. He definitely deserves a good team next season. Fingers crossed.

#111 GX390

GX390

• 749 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:29

Hopefully he'll be in a decent team, thinking ART/DAMS. Will be interesting to see how he's managed to get enough money together now his RSF help has finished. He definitely deserves a good team next season. Fingers crossed.

Yeah hopefully he just stays with ART as he won't have to settle in at a new team etc.

#112 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:22

He might be moving to Formula Renault 3.5, but I hope to see him in GP2, given that next year he should be aiming for a title challenge. Or maybe he's been signed up to a junior team (and if I had to guess, Caterham, which could give him a seat at Caterham's GP2 team next year, in place of vdG or Gonzalez. But I think that would be dependent on sponsorship too).

#113 Kyo

Kyo

• 829 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 16:38

He should try and stays with ART since he already worked with then and they are the best GP2 team.

#114 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 16:58

He should try and stays with ART since he already worked with then and they are the best GP2 team.

Ah, but because ART are the best GP2 team, the price for a seat at the team will be among the highest in the series.

#115 Kyo

Kyo

• 829 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 17:14

Ah, but because ART are the best GP2 team, the price for a seat at the team will be among the highest in the series.

well he should still try. After that i would look for a seat at iSport.

I'm not sure how much i trust what Nasr said, but he said DAMS has the structure to support only one driver, so i would not go there unless i'm well funded and can get the first driver status.

#116 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 19:14

Alexander Rossi is apparently going to be driving in GP2, as it seems Nino Singh Judge has inadvertently revealed it on twitter:

@AlexanderRossi well done dude. Next year lots of trophies with @MyCaterhamGP2

#117 dau

dau

• 4,569 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 19:50

Yup, looks like it. Not really surprising i guess, he's the only one from Caterham's Driver Program even remotely ready for GP2 and they probably don't want to run Gonzalez for another year.

@ninojudge @mycaterhamgp2 yes sir. I have some making up to do

#118 Jackman

Jackman

• 12,782 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 20:48

It's amazing what money can buy you - he was owned by his part time teammate this year.

#119 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,260 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 20:50

Are you new to this? :lol:

Advertisement

#120 dau

dau

• 4,569 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 20:53

It's amazing what money can buy you - he was owned by his part time teammate this year.

Uhm. The team he will be driving for fielded van der Garde and Rodolfo Gonzalez this season.

#121 Jackman

Jackman

• 12,782 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 20:56

Are you new to this? :lol:

No, I've seen plenty of Americans get beat in my time :p

#122 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,260 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 20:56

Oh so only care about ride buyers when they're American :p

#123 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 21:39

Daniel de Jong will be testing for someone, I'm just not sure who. He was reasonably unceremoniously dumped in favour of Coletti last season, so I would be surprised if it was them. Maybe Carlin, having driven for Manor in Auto GP? Or one of the more no-hoping teams, such as Ocean.

#124 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,878 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 22:52

I'm not sure that is accurate. They used to be out-and-out the beat team in the early days, but Addax were very competitive under the previous set of rules and now DAMS have taken both titles under the latest set.

#125 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,260 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 23:14

Uh, the drivers have a little to do with it.

#126 Kyo

Kyo

• 829 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 23:43

I'm not sure that is accurate. They used to be out-and-out the beat team in the early days, but Addax were very competitive under the previous set of rules and now DAMS have taken both titles under the latest set.

DAMS had better/more experienced drivers, but I agree that Addax is a pretty good place to be.

#127 CrossF1

CrossF1

• 95 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:07

Daniel Abt will test for ART

Edited by CrossF1, 22 October 2012 - 09:10.

#128 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 2,590 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:34

Test confirmed

Arden - Mitch Evans; Adrian Quaife-Hobbs
ART: Daniel Abt
DAMS - Nigel Melker
Addax - Adrian Quaife-Hobbs
iSport - Facundo Regalia
Racing Engineering - Facundo Regalia; Nigel Melker

#129 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:40

He's having a seat fitted at Carlin, so presumably he's testing for them too. But he's almost confirmed that he will be driving ART next season, in a round about way.

EDIT: No, I'm an idiot. The Carlin seat fitting is for Macau.

Edited by BackmarkerUK, 22 October 2012 - 10:42.

#130 KingB

KingB

• 322 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:32

Rapax to test Coletti and Juncadella

#131 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:44

Rapax to test Coletti and Juncadella

We already know Coletti has a seat at Rapax for next year, so it seems they're only considering Daniel Juncadella for the second seat. I'm still expecting Juncadella to get a test at Addax, but time is running out on that. Worth noting that Juncadella has plenty of money thanks to his backing by Astana, so he can happily buy a seat in GP2 for next season.

#132 KingB

KingB

• 322 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:49

We already know Coletti has a seat at Rapax for next year, so it seems they're only considering Daniel Juncadella for the second seat. I'm still expecting Juncadella to get a test at Addax, but time is running out on that. Worth noting that Juncadella has plenty of money thanks to his backing by Astana, so he can happily buy a seat in GP2 for next season.

Maybe they are taking Coletti as a benchmark...

#133 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 15:17

Andre Negrao will be testing with Racing Engineering.

#134 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 2,590 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 19:22

Update

DAMS - Nigel Melker
iSport - Facundo Regalia
Racing Engineering - Facundo Regalia; Nigel Melker; André Negrao
Rapax - Stefano Coletti; Daniel Juncadella

#135 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,260 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 19:24

I think I'll just wait for the testing results.

#136 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 13:10

Jolyon Palmer and Pal Varhaug will join Facu Regalia in testing for iSport.

#137 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 2,590 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 18:54

So the update:

DAMS - Nigel Melker
iSport - Jolyon Palmer, Pal Varhaug, Facundo Regalia
Racing Engineering - Facundo Regalia; Nigel Melker; André Negrao

#138 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:33

Racing Engineering unveils its test line-up for Barcelona

Andre Negrao and Gianmarco Raimondo on day 1, Nigel Melker and Facu Regalia on day 2.

Canadian Raimondo won the European F3 Open this year - I'm not sure if the GP2 test is just a prize, or if he's seriously being considered for a seat.

#139 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 2,590 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:10

DAMS - Nigel Melker
iSport - Jolyon Palmer, Pal Varhaug, Facundo Regalia
Racing Engineering - Facundo Regalia; Nigel Melker; André Negrao; Giacomo Raimondo

Advertisement

#140 KingB

KingB

• 322 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 14:23

Caterham confirms Alexander Rossi and Lucas Foresti for testing.

so this leaves us

ART - Daniel Abt
DAMS - Nigel Melker
iSport - Jolyon Palmer; Pal Varhaug; Facundo Regalia
Racing Engineering - Facundo Regalia; Nigel Melker; André Negrao; Giacomo Raimondo
Caterham - Alexander Rossi; Lucas Foresti

Edited by KingB, 25 October 2012 - 14:25.

#141 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 15:54

Serenelli wants to come back to GP2 next season. I will not be happy if he gets a seat again. He also talks about his desire to make it to F1 :drunk:

Van der Garde is done with GP2 - I think another season would be ridiculous. At some point his money's got to get him to F1. But maybe he will be back again!

#142 KateLM

KateLM

• 2,341 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 16:05

Van der Garde is done with GP2 - I think another season would be ridiculous. At some point his money's got to get him to F1. But maybe he will be back again!

Didn't he say that last year?

So Serenelli wants to do GP2, Auto GP AND Indy Lights? Perhaps a bit on the ambitious side of plausibility.

I fear his dream of being an F1 'racing' driver also has a rather fatal flaw in that actually getting to the race means he'll have to beat the 107% time in qualifying...

#143 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:04

Looking for a news sources to link to, but I've heard the Stephane Richelmi will be testing for Trident and ART.

Also have seen it suggested that now Carlin and Marussia's 1 year deal has ended, Marussia Manor are looking to replace Coloni on the grid instead of renewing their deal. Doesn't strike me as likely, a deal with Carlin has to be cheaper than setting up your own GP2 team, and I think that the team performed credibly last year, for only their second year in GP2.

#144 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 2,590 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:34

It makes sense of Manor MP (Auto GP) will enter GP2 and leave Auto GP.

#145 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 13:52

Ramon Piñeiro to test for Ocean Racing Technology. Piñeiro last drove in Formula Two in 2011, when he came third. Announced on twitter.

#146 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 2,590 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:18

So we have:

ART - Daniel Abt
DAMS - Nigel Melker
iSport - Jolyon Palmer; Pal Varhaug; Facundo Regalia
Ocean - Ramon Pineiro
Caterham - Alexander Rossi; Lucas Foresti

#147 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:10

So we have:

ART - Daniel Abt

Arden have confirmed they are testing Mitch Evans and Simon Trummer, but not Adrian Quaife-Hobbs ("We can announce that our drivers for the GP2 test next week in Barcelona are......in Car 22 - Simon Trummer & in Car 23 Mitch Evans" - okay, they've not denied Quaife-Hobbs, but their lack of announcement is suspicious).

Have heard that Stephane Richelmi will be testing for ART, but am awaiting official-er confirmation.

#148 CrossF1

CrossF1

• 95 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:25

Arthur Pic will test for DAMS

#149 Kyo

Kyo

• 829 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:48

I'm missing Calado and Nasr names. Hope they take part in these tests...

#150 CrossF1

CrossF1

• 95 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:49

Rene Binder and Kevin Giovesi will test for Lazarus