2013 GP2 silly season

• Please log in to reply
766 replies to this topic

#301 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 18:43

Please, everybody, listen to Ross.

Only post the lists when there's more drivers confirmed.

Looking back at page 7, I realise that was a little over the top. From now I'll make sure that I've only got one list of rumoured drivers per page, so I'll just edit that post when there are new rumours or confirmations. But I don't think that team or driver rumours are out of place in a GP2 silly season thread, just like they aren't out of place in the F1 silly season threads (which is where I took the inspiration for the lists from).

Advertisement

#302 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 19:13

why? It's the SILLY SEASON thread? I like BackmakerUK posts very much and who didn't has no need to read these thread...

Sure, discuss rumoured moves etc but i feel a full list of rumoured/speculated team lines up being reposted several times each page is a little over the top. Don't misunderstand me i'm grateful to Backmarker for all the efforts they've gone to but its seems like needless filler.

#303 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 15:14

Mattijs Diepraam of 6th Gear reports that Abt will be confirmed at Lotus, Ericsson and Richelmi at DAMS, and Leimer back at Racing Engineering. I had thought that Haryanto would end up at DAMS, but it seems that's maybe not the case. Diepraam was on the money about Palmer to Carlin, so it could well turn out to be true.

Link

#304 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 2,565 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 17:24

Haryanto could end up at MP if MP gets backing from Marussia/Manor

#305 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 18:04

Haryanto could end up at MP if MP gets backing from Marussia/Manor

That would be my assumption. Whatever happens, I think that Haryanto will be in GP2 next season, as he's got plenty of Indonesian money and Marussia behind him. But after a promising debut season it would be disappointing if he didn't end up in a team that might allow him to challenge for wins. Apparently Haryanto has been talking to Arden, but a deal there relies on Mitch Evans or Simon Trummer to have budget problems.

#306 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 18:42

Mattijs Diepraam of 6th Gear reports that Abt will be confirmed at Lotus, Ericsson and Richelmi at DAMS, and Leimer back at Racing Engineering. I had thought that Haryanto would end up at DAMS, but it seems that's maybe not the case. Diepraam was on the money about Palmer to Carlin, so it could well turn out to be true.

Link

If Ericsson does go to DAMS then he's got to be in with a shout for the title, its been a good car since 2011 and he's now one of the most experienced drivers at this level. I think even if he does win it his chances of getting into F1 are pretty slim, another Davide/Pantano etc, been at this level too long without really shining and lacks a budget.

#307 A.Fant

A.Fant

• 151 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 18:53

If Ericsson does go to DAMS then he's got to be in with a shout for the title, its been a good car since 2011 and he's now one of the most experienced drivers at this level. I think even if he does win it his chances of getting into F1 are pretty slim, another Davide/Pantano etc, been at this level too long without really shining and lacks a budget.

Ericsson isn't really comparable to Pantano or Valsecchi.

Pantano won the title as a 29 year old in his 4th season of GP2. He also had experience from 3 seasons of F3000, 1 season of F1 as well as a little Indy Car.

Valsecchi won in his 5th year after never being a frontrunner at ANY point of his career in any series.

Ericsson was extremely impressive in FBMW and a great F3 driver. He entered GP2 as a 19 year old but fell pretty far short of his expectations. If he wins this year, I would think most would see it as him finally living up to his promise. However, if Ericsson once again fails to challenge for the title his hopes of getting into F1 are gone.

#308 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,089 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 18:58

I think the 'Marussia backing' is overrated. I doubt there's much money there at all, it's sort of a licensing tie-in with the F1 team.

#309 Kyo

Kyo

• 812 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 19:58

Ericsson isn't really comparable to Pantano or Valsecchi.

Pantano won the title as a 29 year old in his 4th season of GP2. He also had experience from 3 seasons of F3000, 1 season of F1 as well as a little Indy Car.

Valsecchi won in his 5th year after never being a frontrunner at ANY point of his career in any series.

Ericsson was extremely impressive in FBMW and a great F3 driver. He entered GP2 as a 19 year old but fell pretty far short of his expectations. If he wins this year, I would think most would see it as him finally living up to his promise. However, if Ericsson once again fails to challenge for the title his hopes of getting into F1 are gone.

Ericsson is in the same situation Razia was last year.

If Ericsson is confirmed at DAMS and Leimer at Racing Engineering I would not discard them from fighting for the title.

#310 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 3,261 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 21:16

That's not true, have you forgotten that he won the GP2 ASIA Series for iSport in 2009-2010, scoring a total of 4 wins in that championship?

#311 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 21:16

If Ericsson is confirmed at DAMS and Leimer at Racing Engineering I would not discard them from fighting for the title.

Leimer for the title is a decent shout, as his performance in 2012 was far worse than he is able - and he missed out on a couple of wins he looked like taking.

#312 g1n

g1n

• 874 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 21:39

Christian Horner still team principal of Arden, how come?

#313 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 1,486 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 21:44

Christian Horner still team principal of Arden, how come?

Why not? He owns it.

#314 A.Fant

A.Fant

• 151 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 22:12

That's not true, have you forgotten that he won the GP2 ASIA Series for iSport in 2009-2010, scoring a total of 4 wins in that championship?

Indeed, I forgot about that. I checked it out and while he only won 3 races, it was quite a dominant performance: 1st, 2nd, 1st, and 2nd in the feature races, and 2nd, 1st, 20th, and 4th in the sprints.

But apart from that his best results are a 4th place in GP2 Asia 08-09 and a few 7th and 8th places going back as far as FR2000 Italia.

#315 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,089 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 23:18

And that was a blip, he didn't follow it up with a bunch of OMG performances.

#316 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 2,565 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:21

That would be my assumption. Whatever happens, I think that Haryanto will be in GP2 next season, as he's got plenty of Indonesian money and Marussia behind him. But after a promising debut season it would be disappointing if he didn't end up in a team that might allow him to challenge for wins. Apparently Haryanto has been talking to Arden, but a deal there relies on Mitch Evans or Simon Trummer to have budget problems.

Trummer could end up at Caterham. He testet for Caterham and Arden and Caterham had an alliance in WSbR.

#317 Jackman

Jackman

• 12,723 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:52

Ericsson, Richelmi confirmed at Dams.

#318 Henrik B

Henrik B

• 2,705 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:55

Ericsson is indeed confirmed at DAMS today.

Source: Swedens F1/GP2 broadcaster facebook, which is as official as it gets here.

This is indeed the year for Ericsson. He's not old by any means, but it's win or bust this year. He finished 2012 in excellent form.

#319 Jackman

Jackman

• 12,723 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:58

You could have just quoted GP2's website.

Advertisement

#320 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:25

At the end of last season Felipe Nasr complained that DAMS don't have the ability to properly support more than one driver for a title campaign. It will be interesting to see if Stéphane Richelmi has similar complaints come the end of 2013.

#321 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,089 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:51

I had to Wikipedia him, that's how strong his chances are.

#322 Jackman

Jackman

• 12,723 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:59

Richelmi has no chance of winning the title, no matter what team he's with: he's not even the best Monagasque driver.

That said, Ericsson's not going to win it either. But at least Dams have shored up their bottom line.

#323 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,089 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:26

Steady...

#324 Jackman

Jackman

• 12,723 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:28

Dude, teams have got to have enough funds to continue into the future. No shame there.

#325 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,932 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 13:15

That said, Ericsson's not going to win it either. But at least Dams have shored up their bottom line.

Oh I dunno. He's had his moments, just not consistently. Maybe DAMS may get the best out of him.

#326 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,089 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 13:25

With the 2013 line-up I wouldn't write him off.

#327 KingB

KingB

• 320 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 13:42

I'm curious abot what Richelmi can deliver in a top car...

#328 Richard T

Richard T

• 1,145 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 13:44

I also think Marcus can deliver. He shone through in the last races of 2012

#329 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,932 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 13:49

I'm curious abot what Richelmi can deliver in a top car...

Regular midfield consistency I suspect. He only has four (F3) wins in his entire career.

#330 proviz

proviz

• 212 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 14:00

I also think Marcus can deliver. He shone through in the last races of 2012

No reason to think he cannot deliver - the problem is after the past two seasons it's not enough to just win the title, he's got to dominate.

#331 Jackman

Jackman

• 12,723 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 16:17

With the 2013 line-up I wouldn't write him off.

He's got to get through Calado, Evans, Nasr, Leimer, Coletti and Cecotto first. Okay, the latter ones are only if the teams can calm them down enough to go race to race, but the same thing applies to Marcus, unfortunately.

#332 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,089 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 16:34

Calado yes, Nasr probably, Leimer/Cecotto/Coletti hah, Evans maybe. Evans would probably have a Calado-2012 style year. On total form/experience/team Ericsson has to be up there. If not he'll be racing Porsche Cup in Scandinavia in 12 months.

#333 Jackman

Jackman

• 12,723 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 16:40

I definitely see Evans as the new Calado, but rule out Leimer at your peril - he was even more unlucky than Gutierrez this year, and it can't last forever.

#334 Richard T

Richard T

• 1,145 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 16:56

Calado yes, Nasr probably, Leimer/Cecotto/Coletti hah, Evans maybe. Evans would probably have a Calado-2012 style year. On total form/experience/team Ericsson has to be up there. If not he'll be racing Porsche Cup in Scandinavia in 12 months.

Then i will beat him and report it to you ;)

#335 Henrik B

Henrik B

• 2,705 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 21:50

You could have just quoted GP2's website.

I used the first news source *I* saw (and when it comes to Ericsson, Viasat is well connected). I am not sure why one news source is better than the other, besides that you write for the gp2 site? :)

#336 Jackman

Jackman

• 12,723 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:34

It was just that you were quoting a facebook page and referring to it as the most official site around here, and I thought I could go slightly more official than that :p

#337 Henrik B

Henrik B

• 2,705 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 15:56

Oh, I meant official here in *Sweden*. If something happens with Ericsson, Viasat will have it first here (in Sweden).

#338 Rurouni

Rurouni

• 389 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 17:27

Just a quick info on Rio Haryanto. According to his manager (which is also his mom), they will participate at the next Jerez test (26 to 28 Feb 2013). They still trying to negotiate with several teams. Last year, they also leave the announcement very late.
Initially they prioritized to join the Lotus GP team, but probably wouldn't happen because of sponsorship problem. They wouldn't say what kind though... My speculation is that his main sponsor is clashing with Total (I assume Lotus GP would still be sponsored by Total) because Haryanto main sponsor is an Indonesian oil company (Pertamina).
According to rumor (from this site because I believe there is still no confirmation from either party), he will join Addax team.

#339 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,089 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 17:29

The Total branding on the Lotus GP2 cars is about the same size as the ENI stuff at Addax. Which is to say not big enough to be a problem?

Advertisement

#340 Rurouni

Rurouni

• 389 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 18:12

The Total branding on the Lotus GP2 cars is about the same size as the ENI stuff at Addax. Which is to say not big enough to be a problem?

Maybe depending the money ENI vs Pertamina brings? or maybe ENI wouldn't mind living with another oil company? The problem with Total is that they compete directly in the consumer retail market with Pertamina (at least in Indonesia), but ENI not competing directly in the same market (ENI does have oil/gas exploration in Indonesia, but I believe it's relatively recent). So probably ENI can co-exist with Pertamina?
Total already exist in Indonesia since 1968, so I'm not really surprised if Total blocked someone sponsored by Pertamina.
Of course this is all just a pure speculation because of what his manager said about sponsorship problem. It certainly didn't sound like just a money problem, so I assume there is something else happening.

Edit: Btw, I didn't know about ENI till you mentioned it. Since I usually didn't really care about this sponsorship stuff, I just noticed that Addax is also sponsored by Santander, which should overlap with Addax business. So I think ENI and Pertamina can co-exist and ENI probably wouldn't mind. The fact that Addax is basically owned by Addax, thus in the end it's all about money, where Lotus GP mainly a motorsport team that probably have at least a bit of France pride (or a tie-in like Ross said) in it.

Edited by Rurouni, 16 December 2012 - 18:59.

#341 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,089 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 18:19

Don't worry I'm a nerd about these things.

I could understand it being a problem with DAMS because they are actually sponsored by Total. The deal at Lotus just seems like a little bit extra, if there's any at all. It might be part of the Lotus tie-in, so it seems like it could be sorted out?

But as you say if there's a conflict at Team A, even a small one, but none at Team B then you might as well go with B.

#342 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:16

Johnny Cecotto, Jr. has said on Venezuelan TV that he will be driving for Arden next season. As it's not yet officially confirmed, I'll leave it as a strong rumour. Source

Added Haryanto's confirmation at Addax.

Added Abt's confirmation at Lotus.

Removed Sims.

MP Motorsport say they won't be running with a Manor livery

DAMS
Team Principal: Jean-Paul Driot
Marcus Ericsson (confirmed)
Stéphane Richelmi (confirmed)

Lotus GP
Team Principal: Frédéric Vasseur; Nicolas Todt ; Technical Director: Guillaume Capietto
James Calado (confirmed)
Daniel Abt (confirmed)

Arden International
Team Principal: Christian Horner; Garry Horner ; Technical Director: Julian Rouse
Johnny Cecotto, Jr. (tested with Arden International at Jerez; has backing from Venezuelan sponsors; announced by Cecotto on Venezuelan TV)
Mitch Evans (tested with Arden International at Barcelona and Jerez; GP3 champion; drove for MW Arden in GP2 in 2012)
Simon Trummer (current driver; tested with Arden International at Barcelona)
Adrian Quaife-Hobbs (tested with Arden International at Jerez; Auto GP champion - may lack funding)

Marussia Carlin
Team Principal: Trevor Carlin ; Technical Director: Colin Hale
Felipe Nasr (confirmed)
Jolyon Palmer (confirmed)

Racing Engineering
Team Principal: Alfonso de Orléans-Borbón
Nigel Melker (tested for Racing Engineering at Jerez and Barcelona)
Fabio Leimer (current driver; tested for Racing Engineering at Jerez - may be off to DTM though)
Facundo Regalia (tested for Racing Engineering at Barcelona; has backing from Argentinean sponsors)
René Binder (tested for Racing Engineering at Jerez)
André Negrão (tested for Racing Engineering at Barcelona)
Gianmarco Raimondo (tested for Racing Engineering at Barcelona)

iSport International
Team Principal: Paul Jackson
Sergio Canamasas (tested for iSport International at Jerez)
Facundo Regalia (tested for iSport International at Barcelona; has backing from Argentinean sponsors)
Pål Varhaug (tested for iSport International at Barcelona)
Kevin Mirocha (tested for iSport International at Jerez)

Caterham Racing
Team Principal: Riad Asmat ; Technical Director: Humphrey Corbett
Alexander Rossi (all but confirmed; tested for Caterham Racing at Barcelona and Jerez; Caterham Development Driver; drove for Caterham Arden in Formula Renault 3.5 in 2012)
Simon Trummer (tested for Caterham Racing at Jerez)
Lucas Foresti (tested for Caterham Racing at Barcelona)

Barwa Addax Team
Team Principal: Alejandro Agag; Iganacio Muñoz-Alonso ; Technical Director: Chris Murphy
Rio Haryanto (confirmed)
Jake Rosenzweig (current driver; tested for Barwa Addax Team at Barcelona and Jerez)
Adrian Quaife-Hobbs (tested for Barwa Addax Team at Barcelona; Auto GP Champion)

Rapax
Team Principal: Gianfranco Sovernigo; Andrea Bergamini ; Technical Director: Marco Gadola
Stefano Coletti (confirmed)
Daniel Juncadella (tested for Rapax at Barcelona and Jerez; FIA European Formula 3 Champion; has backing from Astana)

Trident Racing
Team Principal: Maurizio Salvadori ; Technical Director: Luca Zerbini
Julián Leal (current driver; tested for Trident Racing at Barcelona and Jerez)
Sergio Canamasas (tested for Trident Racing at Jerez)

Ocean Racing Technology (might not have enough money to complete another season of GP2)
Team Principal: Tiago Monteiro; José Guedes
Kevin Ceccon (tested for Ocean Racing Technology at Barcelona; drove for Ocean Racing Technology in GP3 in 2012)
Ramón Piñeiro (tested for Ocean Racing Technology at Barcelona and Jerez)

Venezuela GP Lazarus
Team Principal: Tancredi Pagiaro
Giancarlo Serenelli (former driver; Venezuela GP Lazarus say they will have two Venezuelan drivers next season; has backing from Venezuelan sponsors)
Rodolfo González (Venezuela GP Lazarus say they will have two Venezuelan drivers next season; has backing from Venezuelan sponsors)
Johnny Cecotto, Jr. (Venezuela GP Lazarus say they will have two Venezuelan drivers next season; has backing from Venezuelan sponsors)
René Binder (current driver; tested for Venezuela GP Lazarus at Barcelona)
Kevin Giovesi (tested for Venezuela GP Lazarus at Barcelona and Jerez)
Kevin Mirocha (tested for Venezuela GP Lazarus at Jerez)

MP Motorsport
Team Principal: Sander Dorsman
Daniël de Jong (confirmed)
Rodolfo González (tested with MP Motorsport alongside Daniël de Jong in Auto GP World Series' test)
Nigel Melker (drove for MP Motorsport in Formula Renault 2.0 in 2009)
Luca Filippi (tested with Coloni at Barcelona)
Fabio Onidi (tested with Coloni at Jerez)
Eddie Cheever Jr. (tested with Coloni at Barcelona)

German consortium (rumoured to be interested in purchasing Ocean Racing Technology)
Meritus GP (has applied to compete in GP2 before; former GP2 Asia outfit; team principal was at the test in Barcelona)
Stefan Grand Prix (former F1 applicant)

Edited by BackmarkerUK, 24 December 2012 - 11:27.

#343 BackmarkerUK

BackmarkerUK

• 344 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 16:38

Rio Haryanto has joined Addax. Source

#344 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,932 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 17:36

Rio Haryanto has joined Addax. Source

Well good for him. Be interesting to see if he can be quick in a race which doesn't involve torrential rain  ;)

#345 KingB

KingB

• 320 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:09

new calendar unveiled

22-24 March - Sepang, Malaysia
19-21 April - Sakhir, Bahrain
10-12 May - Barcelona, Spain
24-26 May - Monte Carlo, Monaco
28-30 June - Silverstone, Great-Britain
05-07 July - Nurburg, Germany
26-28 July - Budapest, Hungary
23-25 August - Spa-Francorchamps, Belgium
06-08 September - Monza, Italy
20-22 September - Singapore, Singapore
01-03 November - Abu Dhabi, UAE

so no stand-alone race, no Valencia and no Canada
but I hate big gaps before the ultimate race :rolleyes:

#346 Jackman

Jackman

• 12,723 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:16

GP2 has never been to Canada. And if F1 doesn't go to Valencia, GP2 is hardly likely to.

#347 KingB

KingB

• 320 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:21

GP2 has never been to Canada. And if F1 doesn't go to Valencia, GP2 is hardly likely to.

It's right, that they've never been to Canada. But there were rumours about going there. But as we discussed, that would explode the costs.
And for Valencia: of course they wouldn't go there without F1...but as it's a change compared to this year...it's worth mentioning.

#348 Jackman

Jackman

• 12,723 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:29

It is a strung out calendar, though: a month between Malaysia and Bahrain, a month between Monaco and Silverstone, a month between Budapest and Spa, more than a month between Singapore and Abu Dhabi. It's an unfortunate by-product of working around F1, and Bernie deserting Europe, I guess.

#349 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,089 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:55

I don't know that they need to all be jammed together though. Gives everyone a breather, people a chance to sort out their sponsorship affairs, etc.

#350 balage06

balage06

• 72 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 14:16

Daniel Abt graduates to GP2 with Lotus GP