Photo

RIP David Loring

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 fausto

fausto

• 528 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 13:22

Learned recenty, from the latest issue of Autosport, that David Loring passed away, sadly at the early age of 61. Started his racing career with Formula Ford, winning titles. After an unlikely break, spent working in a farm in Alaska, he came back in the mid-'80s, in IMSA racing, helping designing and building Pierre Honegger Mazda-engined Denali Camel Lights car. Won races with it as well as with Essex Racing Tigas. Later took the GTU title with Leitzinger's Nissan 240 SX. Remained involved in historic racing, driving and operating his own company.

:(

More about him @:
http://www.racer.com...article/259295/
http://gordonkirby.c...t_is_no353.html
http://anneotheropin...d-david-loring/

Advertisement

#2 pete53

pete53

• 724 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 15:59

I well remember seeing David race in Formula Ford in the UK in 1972. I recall him walking past me on the path alongside Paddock Hill Bend at a Brands meeting that summer - I think he had quite long hair at the time? I guess his photo must have been in Autosport or MN for me to have known it was him.
Sad news.

#3 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,429 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 19:34

Thanks for honoring David, Fausto. :up:

You might be interested in this, starting at Post 310.

Perhaps there's a way to move others' prior comments into your new thread?

Edited by E1pix, 01 October 2012 - 19:35.

#4 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,806 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 21:42

Noooooooo. Such sad news. I remember like it was yesterday David winning the FF National Championship in the Eagle. He left everyone else in his wake. And the motor blew just as he took the checkers.

#5 Gatmo

Gatmo

• 270 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 22:17

I posted an appreciation of David Loring's skills on my Heroes of FF1600 Facebook page. An American friend alerted me to the sad news and also pointed me in the direction of the nice piece by Gordon Kirby.

Rest in peace, David.

#6 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 23:08

Sad news, I remember him well; he was one of America's best FF drivers. RIP David.

#7 PCC

PCC

• 1,062 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 23:22

I am very sorry to hear this news. I remember his exploits in the Shoppers World FF series at Mosport, I think it was 1971. He had a season-long battle with Wayne Kelly - a classic case of the young hotshot battling (and bettering) the established veteran. That rivalry, alas, was prematurely cut short when the latter died in a support race for the Canadian GP. Loring was clearly brimming with talent, and with confidence. It was a treat to see him race.

#8 R.W. Mackenzie

R.W. Mackenzie

• 373 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:23

Just watched the movies my dad took at the 1971 Canadian Grand Prix. The best part was the first heat of the Shopper's World Formula Ford series. David had a race long battle with Higgs Murphy in his Castrol Hawke DL2. David seemed to have a slight edge in his Caldwell D9B for most of the race but Higgs must have finished first (probably the only time Dave was topped that season) because he started the final on the front row. Sadly that race was red-flagged on the second lap and never completed.

Bob Mackenzie

#9 fausto

fausto

• 528 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:34

Thanks for honoring David, Fausto. :up:

You might be interested in this, starting at Post 310.

E1pix, it's my turn to thank you for pointing me to the other thread :)

#10 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,394 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 20:01

Just copy & paste:

Today I learned that my friend and former colleague David Loring has passed away.

Such a sad loss; David was a top bloke, as anyone who knew him will testify.

You'll be greatly missed fella. The man who educated me re the ADL.

Oh No, the longtime Formula Ford driver? :(

I am afraid so. See Gordon Kirby's remembrance at:

http://www.gordonkir...t_is_no353.html

Tom

Thank You, Tom. A friend confirmed this, really sad news.

Thanks too for posting Gordon's article.

I found out about David's passing early yesterday morning--Monday--but it wasn't until today that I could bring myself to read GK's superb remembrance.

It was through my friendship with GK that I met DL. For that I will be forever grateful. We quickly became friends, he was a delight to be around--on or off the track.

Although she got to meet him only once, when she was young, my daughter--who is now in her 30s--immedately liked GK's funny friend.

When I informed her of the sad news yesterday she put it very bluntly...."that really sucks".

Indeed it does.

But what would have been worse was never to have met and enjoyed this fine man.

I will miss him

#11 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,429 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 00:52

E1pix, it's my turn to thank you for pointing me to the other thread :)

You're welcome, thanks again. :)

#12 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:03

Just watched the movies my dad took at the 1971 Canadian Grand Prix. The best part was the first heat of the Shopper's World Formula Ford series. David had a race long battle with Higgs Murphy in his Castrol Hawke DL2. David seemed to have a slight edge in his Caldwell D9B for most of the race but Higgs must have finished first (probably the only time Dave was topped that season) because he started the final on the front row. Sadly that race was red-flagged on the second lap and never completed.

From Higgs Murphy:

"That's sad. I encountered David in 1993 I think at Sebring when I was building in that area. That's the last I heard of him. Thanks for informing me. Rest in Peace David, you were a great competitor."

Vince H.

#13 Obster

Obster

• 195 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 21:06

I met him at one of Z&W Mazda'a (Honneiger) RX-& driving clinics in the early 1980's. A seamlessly fast driver!