Photo

ERA R11B 'Humphrey' returns to Snetterton

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:26

Unbelievably, the VSCC ( founded in 1934 ) had never organised a race meeting at Snetterton in East Anglia, until Sunday. It was a resounding success, 200+ entries and a big crowd with the infield packed with car displays etc. Star attraction was ERA R11B 'Humphrey'.

David Morris made the 600-mile round trip from Exeter to bring the car. A very significant one it is in the 61-year history of this former USAAF airfield circuit. Ken Wharton was driving Peter Bell's R11B on October 27th 1951, to win the AMOC sprint with FTD and an average speed of 82mph, on the old 2.7 mile circuit. Winner of the first ever motoring competition at Snetterton Heath. The car was painted green in those days, and lined up to beat Dennis Poore's ex-Seaman Alfa Romeo, the only two cars in the unlimited racing car class, amongst the 75 entries.

I have put my photos from Sunday of David & the ERA in one album. Bring on more pre-war racing at Snetterton please, a great day, great cars and a fantastic atmosphere!

http://s1288.photobu.....tterton 2012/

Advertisement

#2 RobertE

RobertE

• 292 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:46

Andrew, we spoke of this the other day; aren't ERA's among the 'most raced' cars in the world? (Along with real Listers). Snetterton is an adorable circuit, with a strange atmosphere about it. Echoes...

Very good pictures, by the way...

#3 fuzzi

fuzzi

• 582 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:40

Super set of pictures. Thank you very much.

I can't stand it any longer, I'm off to order David Weguelin's book. :)

Edited to add: There we are, that feels better. I should have bought one when it first came out. It's a lot of money, but what the hell. :p

Edited by fuzzi, 03 October 2012 - 08:44.

#4 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 18:49

I see one of your images of R11B accompanying Marcus Pye's report.

#5 JBaxter

JBaxter

• 30 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:49

Andrew, we spoke of this the other day; aren't ERA's among the 'most raced' cars in the world? (Along with real Listers). Snetterton is an adorable circuit, with a strange atmosphere about it. Echoes...

Well done David Morris! Another great drive from him. Having said that, I did my best to alter the outcome, but it was not to be. I must practice my clutch control! Yes, Snetterton is a fabulous circuit.

ERAs must be among the most campaigned cars in the world. I would suspect THE most.
Which one and how many? R4D? R11B? R5B? I suspect R4D, since you have to add Maymans efforts to Weguelins list. More difficult, is how many? 3 or 400 events?

#6 grocons

grocons

• 42 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 17:14

I was talking with Ludovic Lindsay the owner of R5B "Remus" in 2008 on this very forum. Ludovic posted the results of R5B in post number 47 onwards here:-

http://forums.autosp...w...remus&st=40

R5B is believed to be one of the most raced cars in the world and has probably won the most races too. As of 2008 it had raced in 384 races and won 110.

Edited by grocons, 05 October 2012 - 17:15.