Michael Schumacher Retires From F1 Confirmed

• Please log in to reply
272 replies to this topic

#1 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,719 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:52

He retired.

I am so disappointed but he decides what's best for him.

Advertisement

#2 MSCDesign

MSCDesign

• 112 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:53

Confirmed.

#3 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,146 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:55

MERCEDES AMG F1 @MercedesAMGF1
now
Michael has announced his retirement this afternoon here in Suzuka, thanking his family, friends and the team

http://bit.ly/OEEezI

As there are no more rumours the old thread has been closed.

Previous thread

http://forums.autosp...howtopic=175004

:cry:

#4 PoliFanAthic

PoliFanAthic

• 783 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:58

Crying shame. :well:

#5 Wade

Wade

• 426 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:58

It's all over Twitter right now.

:(

Oh well. Hope him the best!

#6 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT

• 4,141 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:59

What a shame. The better of two Mercedes drivers, the greatest driver in history, and no one could offer him a seat next year.

F1 just got that little bit less interesting.

#7 steveninthematrix

steveninthematrix

• 329 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:59

this just demonstrates, even if you think someone is your friend, like Ross Brawn, $ beats loyalty every time......................................................

this is where I hope for rain at Suzuka or somewhere and Michael at least gets another podium, but with a Merc which EATS its tires faster than HRT, its very unlikely...

#8 Wade

Wade

• 426 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:00

ouch. :(

#9 RedOne

RedOne

• 2,449 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:01

Well that's that then. No one can seriously be blaming Brawn or Mercedes for this, this was Michael's decision.

Edited by RedOne, 04 October 2012 - 08:03.

#10 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,867 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:02

Personally I think his comeback damaged his reputation. If he wanted to continue more time driving in F1 he should have signed with Merc in the summer, he delayed the descission too much.

#11 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:02

It would be better if he would announce this before the team announced contract with Hamilton was signed.

#12 KirilVarbanov

KirilVarbanov

• 866 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:03

Strange, but many people feel that's the right thing to do, especially the journalists. Wish him all the best, the history is written.

#13 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:04

Probably the best thing to do.

#14 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT

• 4,141 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:06

Strange, but many people feel that's the right thing to do, especially the journalists. Wish him all the best, the history is written.

Considering the F1 media has been ragging on him since he came back (and overlooking how awful the Merc is), I am completely unsurprised.

#15 Wade

Wade

• 426 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:07

His official statement if anyone wants to read it

http://www.michael-s.../news/news.html

#16 Massa

Massa

• 9,971 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:07

It's a shame. Mercedes is really a poor team.

#17 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,150 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:08

Personally I think his comeback damaged his reputation. If he wanted to continue more time driving in F1 he should have signed with Merc in the summer, he delayed the descission too much.

First I also thought it did damage his reputation but in fact it didn't...he is 43 years old and still could challenge his team mate Nico Rosberg who is widely thought to be one of the fastest drivers in formula 1. Next season when Hamilton will parter Nico, we will also that Schumis speed was indeed still there...he was not in his best form but still at very high level, you don't take monaco poleposition if you are slow. Sad to see him gone, would have liked to see him on track.

#18 GAZF1nut

GAZF1nut

• 932 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:10

Well lets hope that he can end the year in style, with hopefully another Monaco style pole and hopefully a win, as unlikely as that may be.

#19 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:12

In the past 6 years I have learned a lot, also about me, and I am thankful for it: for example, that you can open yourself up without losing focus. That losing can be both more difficult and more instructive than winning; something I had lost out of sight sometimes in earlier years. That you have to appreciate to be able to do what you love. That you have to live your convictions. I have opened my horizon, and I am at ease with myself.

Lots of respect to the man.

Advertisement

#20 MajorRichard

MajorRichard

• 42 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:12

F1 just lost a lot of my attention. I'm really annoyed.

#21 emby1999

emby1999

• 62 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:13

Good decision. Mercedes gave him more than a fair chance, 3 years of mediocre performances were more than enough. He was lucky he got that time really.

#22 ERICTOPF1

ERICTOPF1

• 1,071 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:13

The biggest mistake of a brilliant carrier was that MS returned to F1.

Every journalist reports that retiring was the best thing for MS to do.

That TO ME proves that it is a common secret in F1 that MS is not up there in the top level any more!

His love for F1, racing and competing is understandable but...time is ruthless.

He will always be one of the very best though..not the best for me but in the top 5 of all times

#23 Massa

Massa

• 9,971 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:15

+1

#24 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:15

Sad to hear indeed. I cannot imagine him in a managerial role - it's just not him. His place is at the race tracks, at high speeds, even if he is sometimes overdoing it.

Why did he retire (if this is indeed true, I still can't believe it)?

We can only speculate. Probably for Michael the risk of failing to perform at Sauber was too high - he already did not really cover himself with laurel at his Mercedes stint - so more of the same would have not been good for his legacy.

I always admired Jackie Stewart for retiring on top. Also Niki Lauda retiring while nearly winning his last race at Adelaide 1985. Senna was leading his last race....that's how we remember those champs.

Farewell Michael, if this is indeed the end.

What will we discuss here on the BB in the future? Hamilton's extravaganzas?

#25 AvranaKern

AvranaKern

• 6,409 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:16

A just decision. I couldn't manage to see him in Sauber or Williams, so retirement is befitting to his career, although that will still hurt. It was not a perfect comeback perhaps, but still a pleasure to watch and follow. He didn't tarnish his reputation the slightest. He tried, but it wasn't meant to be. There is nothing to be ashamed of failing. It's the try that matters. Well done and thank you Michael. I am going to savor for your last six races.

So long, and thanks for all fish.

#26 RedOne

RedOne

• 2,449 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:17

That's a great quote from Schumi. Wish him the best in the future :up:

Edited by RedOne, 04 October 2012 - 08:21.

#27 fisssssi

fisssssi

• 1,309 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:18

I'm glad he came back and showed he wasn't just in F1 for the wins and the glory, that he also had a genuine desire to race. There's still a chance he can get lucky and finish on a high (Mansell-style!*)

*Ignoring 1995 of course.

#28 Frankbullitt

Frankbullitt

• 3,080 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:20

He should never have retired in 2006 and I was over the moon when he came back.

To me he hasn't damaged his reputation at all, F1 is a different beast to what it was when he was owing the field.

Wish he had stayed on but only he knows what is right to do.

Thanks for everything, Michael.

#29 Nobody

Nobody

• 3,158 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:22

Good he did it before they brought out the white curtain

#30 Jejking

Jejking

• 3,111 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:23

The biggest mistake of a brilliant carrier was that MS returned to F1.

Every journalist reports that retiring was the best thing for MS to do.

That TO ME proves that it is a common secret in F1 that MS is not up there in the top level any more!

His love for F1, racing and competing is understandable but...time is ruthless.

He will always be one of the very best though..not the best for me but in the top 5 of all times

Thank God we all have our own eyes to witness what's happening on track and develop an opinion on what Schumacher did since his comeback :stoned:

#31 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 6,513 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:23

Michael deserves no less respect than he did when he retired the first time. He came back because he loves F1 and he wanted to ofcourse win. But its a shame he had to retire this way. Its for the best, i wouldnt have liked to see him in Sauber. He has done very well for his age. Hope to see him continue to be associated with F1. See you around Michael !!

#32 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,991 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:24

Sometimes things just don't work out and these three years have been exactly that. He should walk out with his head held high. He's still a champion who has had the courage to come out of his retirement and fight the magnificent crop of drivers currently on the grid.

#33 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,497 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:26

F1 just lost a lot of my attention. I'm really annoyed.

Same here. The seasons 2007-2009 were just a bit bleak for me. No real no1. Maybe if Frijns makes it into F1, I have someone to cheer for again, but for now, my attention will wane.

Goodbye to the last character in F1. You have amused me during my religious F1-watching years.

#34 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 4,763 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:26

I was, and am, no fan of his comeback. But I wish him this last win, there are 6 races left. Good luck.

#35 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 11,192 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:30

Fare well, Michael.

#36 topical

topical

• 2,815 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:34

First I also thought it did damage his reputation but in fact it didn't...he is 43 years old and still could challenge his team mate Nico Rosberg who is widely thought to be one of the fastest drivers in formula 1..

No he isn't, and the only people who keep trotting out this nonsense are desperate Schumacher fans.

Schumacher's comeback was passable at best and he is showing himself much smarter than many of his fans by calling it quits when he still has a shred of dignity. He was a great driver in his day, but time has simply caught up with him, as it does with all people in the end. Even though I'm no fan, I hope he was a few good races to finish the year, would be nice if he managed a podium.

Edited by topical, 04 October 2012 - 08:36.

#37 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:34

Thank God we all have our own eyes to witness what's happening on track and develop an opinion on what Schumacher did since his comeback :stoned:

Exactly - we all developed an opinion on what Schumacher did since his comeback....  ;)

#38 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT

• 4,141 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:35

No he isn't, and the only people who keep trotting out this nonsense are desperate Schumacher fans.

Or people who are annoyed that a team kept the slower driver and sacked the quicker one.

#39 dave34m

dave34m

• 808 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:39

Or people who are annoyed that a team kept the slower driver and sacked the quicker one.

Maybe they just kept the one who has a future

Advertisement

#40 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT

• 4,141 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:41

Maybe they just kept the one who has a future

Nico has about as much chance of taking another win a Schumacher does.

Mercedes destroyed Michael's second career, and they'll destroy Lewis Hamilton's as well.

Mark my words.

#41 dave34m

dave34m

• 808 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:43

Nico has about as much chance of taking another win a Schumacher does.

Mercedes destroyed Michael's second career, and they'll destroy Lewis Hamilton's as well.

Mark my words.

Mate just face it, he just wasnt quick enough

#42 BillyWhizz

BillyWhizz

• 849 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:46

He was like Dick Dastardly in my book in his first career, but came across as a different man altogether when he returned.

I found myself liking him much more than I thought possible, and I will miss him now he's going off for good.

#43 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:47

Not cool. I wanted a final swansong in the Ferrari with a race win at some point, this is not justice. He needed to finish his career on a high, I wonder what this has done to the legend that is Michael Schumacher? Because lets be honest, his comeback was a total failure, he needs to win one race out of these next 6, that will be justice served.

#44 Goron3

Goron3

• 4,443 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:48

He's been more than quick enough this year and his scraps when he's qualified ahead of faster cars proves it. The problem is with the Merc is that when it was quick, his car wasn't reliable enough and by the time it did get reliable (Germany onwards) they had clearly fallen back. 2010 he wasn't quick enough, I'll give you that.

Either way, I'm slightly gutted. At his age to still be able to dice it with those much younger drivers and come out on top is really saying something. He's a legend through and through and the fact that he was still able to perform at his age is nothing short of remarkable. Happy retirement Michael, the sport will undoubtedly lose a few fans (once again) now you've left.

#45 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:48

He made it back onto the podium in that dog of a car, he snatched a pole position (time wise) around the tight twisting streets of Monaco. He still had it, retiring was his decision he had the option to stay.He doesn't want to run around in the midfield any more. He has shown Rosberg the way this season even if the points tally doesn't express that. That's down to Schumacher's Mercedes, not his performance.

Retirement would have a hurt a little had he been replaced by a Di Resta or Hulkenburg... he has been replaced by Hamilton who is labelled as one of the sports greatest, just like 2007 and Raikkonen. It takes a lot of talent at the peak of it's game to take Schumacher's place.

#46 SparkPlug

SparkPlug

• 511 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:57

I thought his comeback was very good. He was/is mighty quick for a 43 year old and by this time in his second career he is doing as well as anyone else with the exception of around 3 major mistakes per year as opposed to the old "1 mistake per year" Schumacher v1.

I will be watching the older drivers in F1 with a renewed interest from now on, as I was under the assumption that elite sportsmen are never competitive past the age of 40 due to degenaration of their cognitive and physical abilities. Schumacher has proved a lot of people wrong in that area (even though the press will lead us to believe otherwise)

BTW, does anyone else notice, in Schumacher's press statement, a lack of faith in Mercedes Benz ? I may just be a skeptic here but these comment to me looks like Schumacher was a bit disgruntled towards the end of it all :

Already during the past weeks and months I was not sure if I would still have the motivation and energy which is necessary to go on; and it is not my style to do anything which I am not 100% convinced about. With today’s decision I feel released from those doubts. In the end, it is not my ambition to just drive around but to fight for victories; and the pleasure of driving is nourished by competitiveness.

It is without doubt that we did not achieve our goal to develop a world championship fighting car within those 3 years. It is also without doubt that I cannot provide a long term perspective to anyone. But then it is also clear that I can still be very happy about my overall achievements in Formula 1.

To me it seems like this comeback is not all that memorable for him at all, since he is refering to the satisfaction with "the overall achievements" he has in F1.

Edited by SparkPlug, 04 October 2012 - 09:07.

#47 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 9,683 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:59

Absolute legend. Now go and enjoy your life, Michael. :up:

#48 Massa

Massa

• 9,971 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:00

If he wasn't quick enough then Rosberg have to be fired ?
Schumacher always finish in front of him when both finished the race..

#49 Pits

Pits

• 1,060 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:04

It's ok, he's had enough, let's just enjoy his last 6 races.
Thank you Schumacher for beeing the racer that you are and have been all these years.
It was a joy to watch, amazing to wittness, and will always be remembered.
He is a true legend and the biggest champion F1 has ever seen.

Danke schon!

#50 TheNewStig

TheNewStig

• 557 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:09

Retirement would have a hurt a little had he been replaced by a Di Resta or Hulkenburg... he has been replaced by Hamilton who is labelled as one of the sports greatest, just like 2007 and Raikkonen. It takes a lot of talent at the peak of it's game to take Schumacher's place.

:up: