Photo

5 races to go. Vettel 3x WDC?

• Please log in to reply
303 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win the 2012 WDC? (445 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win the 2012 WDC?

1. Alonso (75 votes [16.89%])

Percentage of vote: 16.89%

2. Vettel (307 votes [69.14%])

Percentage of vote: 69.14%

3. Hamilton (32 votes [7.21%])

Percentage of vote: 7.21%

4. Raikkonen (22 votes [4.95%])

Percentage of vote: 4.95%

5. Webber (5 votes [1.13%])

Percentage of vote: 1.13%

6. Button (3 votes [0.68%])

Percentage of vote: 0.68%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Nitropower

Nitropower

• 1,351 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 14:45

I just wondered what people think after the Japanese Grand Prix. A few races ago some dared to say it was mostly Alonso's business but there where 175-200 points ahead.

This weekend Red Bull showed they are extremely strong in medium and high speed corners which means they will probably dominate Brazil at least. They have been really good in Korea, Abu Dhabi, India... they have been 0,4 secs faster than McLaren and around 1 faster than Ferrari. Five races to go only and Vettel's already only 4 points behind Alonso, whose car is miles far from the Red Bull, and the McLarens are over 40 points behind.

Do you think it's again Vettel's championship? Will conditions change in the next few tracks and will Hamilton bounce back or Ferrari improve enough to be competitive and fight for the title until the last race? What's your opinion on the matter?

Edited by Nitropower, 07 October 2012 - 14:49.

Advertisement

#2 iMad4

iMad4

• 30 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 14:48

I think Fettel will win.

#3 ferrarijon123

ferrarijon123

• 851 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 14:51

I just wondered what people think after the Japanese Grand Prix. A few races ago some dared to say it was mostly Alonso's business but there where 175-200 points ahead.

This weekend Red Bull showed they are extremely strong in medium and high speed corners which means they will probably dominate Brazil at least. They have been really good in Korea, Abu Dhabi, India... they have been 0,4 secs faster than McLaren and around 1 faster than Ferrari. Five races to go only and Vettel's already only 4 points behind Alonso, whose car is miles far from the Red Bull, and the McLarens are over 40 points behind.

Do you think it's again Vettel's championship? Will conditions change in the next few tracks and will Hamilton bounce back or Ferrari improve enough to be competitive and fight for the title until the last race? What's your opinion on the matter?

To be honest i think the fights still very much on. Red bull's strongest track was Singapore and by the sound of it Vettel's balance this weekend was perfect going by his comments and how often does a driver find a perfect balance? If Ferrari do have a major upgrade for India like is rumoured, it should be a very very close run in. But i definately don't think it's Vettels title yet.

#4 Mclaren4ever

Mclaren4ever

• 341 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 14:51

Red Bull have so much money and ingore the RRA, they brought 2 new front wing´s around half the world from friday -> saturday.
You can´t win against such a team.

#5 KavB

KavB

• 1,592 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 14:57

If Alonso hadn't retired, I'd have thought it is too early to tell. Personally before the race I thought Vettel would slowly but surely catch Alonso, but now I can't see Vettel losing the title.

#6 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 15:01

Under normal proceedings it’s realistically a toss between two drivers, but no one is home free by any degree of imagination. We have been witnessing destruction of a lead Alonso had, and misfortune can hit anyone, anytime. In my estimation ChW will be requested to examine a lot of videos in next five races, and there will be no stone unturned…

#7 Reinmuster

Reinmuster

• 967 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 15:04

Alonso will bounce back. Never write-off this guy.

#8 Avastrol

Avastrol

• 445 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 15:05

On the flip side Seb's just an alternator failure away from losing the championship, and by coincidence Fernando will probably be running in second when that happens. Otherwise, I don't see Seb losing the title barring retirements of the mechanical kind.

#9 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,721 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 15:06

Unsure. All it takes is someone crashing into Vettel and then Alonso picking up a podium and it's back in his favour again. Plus Brazil certainly has a habit of changeable conditions, which could make for a messy quali/race for either of them, anything can happen at Austin with it being the first race there, so though I think Vettel might win it, all it takes is a couple of bad races for Vettel with Alonso picking up good points and suddenly it looks like Alonso's title.

#10 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 15:06

Red Bull have so much money and ingore the RRA, they brought 2 new front wing´s around half the world from friday -> saturday.
You can´t win against such a team.

Poor game, my friend. I think Red Bull deserve a lot of credit for doing what they've done. Ferrari and Mclaren get a lot of praise from people for their development ability, yet Red Bull rarely get any credit despite keeping up with these guys for entire seasons and even doing better on occasion.

Vettel is also an amazing driver and when things are clicking, its hard to bet against them. I think if Lewis had been first this weekend, I'd say things were equally good for Lewis and for Vettel, but things are looking a little more unpredictable now and with only 5 races left, Vettel's got the momentum and the nice points gap(or lack of one). I'm skeptical that Red Bull can keep up this dominating sort of pace, but Mclaren have shown they aren't going to be unbeatable either, so even Alonso still stands a chance.

Vettel - 70%
Lewis - 15%
Alonso - 15%

#11 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,112 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 15:07

Might be time for the FIA to change the rules on RedBull again... :well:

#12 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 15:11

Right now Id say Alonso and Vettel to have even odds while Hamilton and Kimi are very long shots. The rest can only dream.

Edited by Atreiu, 07 October 2012 - 15:11.

#13 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 15:17

Poor game, my friend. I think Red Bull deserve a lot of credit for doing what they've done. Ferrari and Mclaren get a lot of praise from people for their development ability, yet Red Bull rarely get any credit despite keeping up with these guys for entire seasons and even doing better on occasion.

Vettel - 70%
Lewis - 15%
Alonso - 15%

I agree credit must go to Red Bull too, they hung in there and seem to be right on the money at the sharp end of the season.
I think it's essentially a 2 horse race now but estimate Alonso's chances a little bit better than you

Vettel - 60%
Alonso - 35%
Lewis - 5%

#14 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,959 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 15:19

While a DNF from Vettel can't be discounted, he's got to be the favourite now. Ferrari would have to really pull some performance out of the bag soon for Alonso to hold him off when both are finishing races.

#15 fed up

fed up

• 3,692 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 15:21

Alonso choked - Vettel for the win

#16 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,357 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 15:23

I'm an Alonso fan, but I think it's done and dusted. Seb has a better car and that's the end of it. While Alonso was sitting on a decent gap there was a possibility. Not anymore.

Vettel should send Kimi a thank you card. Or maybe Renault will just give him a raise...

#17 911

• 2,227 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 15:26

I would like to see Alonso win it this year, but after seeing the recent resurgence of Red Bull, my money is on Vettel to win the WDC.

#18 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,357 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 15:26

Alonso will bounce back. Never write-off this guy.

I agree. I just don't think Ferrari have the car to ensure anything close to what will be needed to head of the Red Bull.

He'll bounce back. It just won't be enough.

#19 Wander

Wander

• 2,367 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 15:32

Vettel is easily the favourite in my books, that's for sure. And seems to be with other people as well, no surprises there.

Advertisement

#20 fisssssi

fisssssi

• 1,309 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 15:34

:|

It's turned 2010 all over again.

The biggest difference is that Vettel can afford DNFs but Alonso really can't. He needed a 2nd in Belgium and a 2nd today. Now it's going to be difficult.

#21 RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68

• 1,606 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 15:36

I thought Vettel would slowly close the gap before Alonso's DNF, after the DNF I'm convinced he'll win it before the last race of the season. Nothing will stop him now.

#22 showtime

showtime

• 3,032 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 15:42

Vettel on a placid cruise to the title. Newey ending with the fun again :cry:

#23 Jejking

Jejking

• 3,111 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 15:47

I agree. I just don't think Ferrari have the car to ensure anything close to what will be needed to head of the Red Bull.

Same, same.

#24 wrcva

wrcva

• 1,254 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 15:49

Vettel will win it before Brazil, Fred is losing his cool, Ferrari will self destruct.

Edited by wrcva, 07 October 2012 - 15:50.

#25 DrivenF1

DrivenF1

• 1,050 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 15:50

My thoughts:

Vettel 75%
Alonso 20%
Lewis 5%
Everyone else so unlikely so not worth thinking about.

#26 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 15:52

Let's not forget that Vettel still has less point-scoring finishes than Alonso! Under normal conditions he and Red Bull are simply better than Ferrari and Alonso this year. There's no shame in that, they're a good combination.

However, I don't think it's all decided yet. Vettel has to be the main favourite, especially since Valencia probably, while Alonso still has an outside chance. Hamilton, Button and Raikkonen less so.

Edited by Nonesuch, 07 October 2012 - 15:53.

#27 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,172 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 15:55

Might be time for the FIA to change the rules on RedBull again... :well:

Let's punish success. That's a nice attitude to have.

#28 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,112 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 15:56

Let's punish success. That's a nice attitude to have.

I was being sarcastic. There certainly seems to be a trend of trying to pull down RedBull by continually changing the rules to address whatever Ferrari happens to be complaining about.

#29 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 910 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 15:58

Vettel looks like the strong favourite now. I really want Alonso to do it though.

#30 seltaeb

seltaeb

• 680 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 16:12

Vettel is the only driver I didn't want to be WDC this year. I despise Hamilton, but would have even preferred him to win it.

Maybe Grosjean will run into Vettel at the next race :p.

#31 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 16:16

If the Red Bull performs like recently, Vettel will likely get it and deserve it. It's not a identical cars championship, if one team gets an advantage and the driver knows how to use it, fair game.

Purely from Alonso POV, it looks cruel, but that's how F1 always worked.

All that said, it's not over yet. A lot of unexpected stuff can still happen.

#32 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 16:18

I was being sarcastic. There certainly seems to be a trend of trying to pull down RedBull by continually changing the rules to address whatever Ferrari happens to be complaining about.

The FIA has always changed rules, interpretations of rules and whatnot over the years. It has nothing to do with either Red Bull, McLaren or Ferrari or any other specific team. F1 is a show, and to maintain a somewhat level playing field action will be taken - though not necessarily immediately - against dominance and/or shady practises of one team. It was especially bad during the years Ferrari and Schumacher ran circles around the other teams, making them look like amateurs in the process. Heck, the FIA changed the entire point system in 2003 to significantly reduce the advantage of 1st over 2nd place. :p

#33 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 16:22

Too early to tell. Those, who are saying that Vettel is now unbeatable. Some said Vettel will cruise to the title after Bahraini GP too. But what happened next in Spain? Alonso 2nd, Vettel 6th. Also after Valencia it was thought RBR is going to dominate from there onwards. Nothing is clear. Every circuit suits cars differently. Alonso might win the next race on pace.

#34 topical

topical

• 2,815 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 16:23

I still think Alonso has a chance and people are too quick to write him off. He has a far slower car but somehow I think he'll manage it. The thought of that awful little finger boy being a 3 times WDC at 25 makes me sick, every time I hear him scream "yes boys! we did it!" and his stupid habit of calling his cars things like "kinky kylie" I just want to smack him. If Alonso doesn't do it I hope Hamilton gets it, though that's now looking unlikely too. Oh well, won't be the first time the best car wins over the best drivers if the trend of the last two races continues.

Edited by topical, 07 October 2012 - 16:24.

#35 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,172 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 16:25

I was being sarcastic.

My fault, then. :drunk: Sorry.

If the Red Bull performs like recently, Vettel will likely get it and deserve it. It's not a identical cars championship, if one team gets an advantage and the driver knows how to use it, fair game.

Indeed. I'm fully expecting the (metaphorical?) anvil to come falling out of the sky and onto Seb's car momentarily. :lol:

Whatever happens, this is certainly one of the better overall years I've seen thus far, I think.

#36 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,127 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 16:26

If Alonso hadn't retired, I'd have thought it is too early to tell. Personally before the race I thought Vettel would slowly but surely catch Alonso, but now I can't see Vettel losing the title.

You can imagine another faulty alternator and one meeting with Grosjean or Maldonado. After that anythings possible.

#37 Cenotaph

Cenotaph

• 2,390 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 16:28

Alonso had a lot in his favour, now of course Vettel looks like he has the momentum to do it. However, a lot can happen in 5 races and don't expect the RBR to be this dominant in most races. Essentially, Alonso still has a fair shot at the title and don't count out Hamilton just yet.

#38 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,393 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 16:28

Vettel is in a very strong position, just 4 points behind Alonso and +33 and +38 to Kimi and Lewis respectively. I'm afraid I can't see Webber and Button getting back into it at this stage.

33 and 38 points respectively will be difficult to make up unless Vettel suffers some issues, but that could easily happen. As for what Alonso can do, I really don't know at this point. I just don't see him getting any dominant weekends (Kimi neither), whereas Vettel and Hamilton probably will have some more.

It would be hard to bet money against Vettel right now. The broader implications of this would be that he would become the most successful current driver (with MS retiring), and look like becoming the defining driver of the era. This will harm the perceptions of Alonso and Hamilton (and ultimately, possibly even Schumacher - Vettel could even get to seven).

Just like with Schumacher and Ferrari, this troubles me a bit. How would he do outside Red Bull (where he seems to be the favourite), or against a top driver other than Webber? Perhaps we will see at Ferrari in 2014?

#39 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 16:29

I think Vettel is in a very good position. But I don't think it is over as many people think. This season balance has shifted from one race to another, even with back-to-back races (one is next). Just a couple of days ago, people were saying how dominating McLaren have been. I think Red Bull should watch their reliability, even if it means taking a few tenths off the car.

Advertisement

#40 P123

P123

• 23,877 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 16:33

I wouldn't be so downbeat. Today Massa was second. Usually you would expect Alonso to be 10/15s up the road, so I don't think Ferrari are that far behind. They need to sort their quali pace though.

#41 BenettonB192

BenettonB192

• 869 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 16:33

Being a Vettel fan myself i sure hope he will win the title. But think about this for a second. Either it's Alonso ot Vettel this will be a historic moment in F1. A moment to remember. No matter where your allegiances are because we don't often see someone to become a 3 times champion. And whoever it is will be a living legend wheather you like it or not. 3 is the magical number in F1. there are no 3 champions whop are considered subpar. Stay real. Realise it.

#42 FerrariAlonso

FerrariAlonso

• 409 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 16:34

It's just heartbreaking to see Fernando's lead mealting. He has been the mean of the year, hasn't put a foot wrong. He was exceptional in Valencia, Malaysia, Germany, Great-Britain, Italy, Barcelona. Vettel need just to cruise, Alonso never ever had a dominant car. If he takes pole or win he needs to sweat his whole body, while Vettel has the pleasure to cruise. I don't want to downlook Seb's performance, but what Fernando has done so far is magnificent. If he loses, the world should go crazy!

#43 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,393 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 16:34

Alonso has been through the mill before a few times before. I am sure he will be able to see the positives, including some very good wins.

#44 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 16:35

I still think Alonso has a chance and people are too quick to write him off. He has a far slower car but somehow I think he'll manage it.

Completely agree, it's way too soon to write Alonso off.

The thought of that awful little finger boy being a 3 times WDC at 25 makes me sick, every time I hear him scream "yes boys! we did it!" and his stupid habit of calling his cars things like "kinky kylie" I just want to smack him.

But if Alonso doesn't manage to win the WDC I'll be happy to see Vettel become 3 times WDC.
Hope he then shows the Finger abundantly, thanks his "boys" and I will have a good chuckle about those frothing from the mouth because he won.
AGAIN lol

#45 Ellios

Ellios

• 3,070 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 16:36

In my opinion, Vettel will become youngest ever 3 x world champion, and over the season will have earned the title

#46 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,393 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 16:36

Being a Vettel fan myself i sure hope he will win the title. But think about this for a second. Either it's Alonso ot Vettel this will be a historic moment in F1. A moment to remember. No matter where your allegiances are because we don't often see someone to become a 3 times champion. And whoever it is will be a living legend wheather you like it or not. 3 is the magical number in F1. there are no 3 champions whop are considered subpar. Stay real. Realise it.

There is one, at least, who is often disparaged on this forum - Nelson Piquet. Actually, now that I think of it, Stewart and Lauda come in for plenty of abuse too.

#47 BenettonB192

BenettonB192

• 869 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 16:41

There is one, at least, who is often disparaged on this forum - Nelson Piquet. Actually, now that I think of it, Stewart and Lauda come in for plenty of abuse too.

Well yes i would think Piquet is perhaps the "weakest" of the 3-time champions but it's like whining on a high level. Nobody becomes 3 times a champion without merits. You can luck maybe into 1 championship but not 2 and definitely not 3. To become 3 time champion you have to be cream of the crop. And even as a Vettel fan if Aloso does it he'll be super high in my ratings forever.

#48 sock22

sock22

• 408 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 16:49

Korea will be the litmus test for the title. If Red Bull are quickest there too, then the title is theirs as India and Abu Dhabi are similar tracks. If Ferrari are improved, then it could go either way depending on DNFs. If McLaren regain their advantage then there is a slim chance for Hamilton, but he will require DNFs from the others, particularly Vettel.

#49 Crossmax

Crossmax

• 1,334 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 16:50

Too early to tell. Those, who are saying that Vettel is now unbeatable. Some said Vettel will cruise to the title after Bahraini GP too. But what happened next in Spain? Alonso 2nd, Vettel 6th. Also after Valencia it was thought RBR is going to dominate from there onwards. Nothing is clear. Every circuit suits cars differently. Alonso might win the next race on pace.

+1

I voted Vettel, but do not think it will be easy. Korea has some long straights (the DDRS might of course help Red Bull against their inherent lack of top speed), and so does Buddh International Circuit and Yas Marina. The texas track seems similar to Korea in terms of corner characteristics and long straights. Sao Paulo should suit the RB8, but too difficult to call.

#50 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 8,761 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 16:56

RedBull's Japanese GP performance might not be their Korean GP performance. It might be better, it might be worse. The same goes for the the other tracks.

Likewise the F2012. Ferrari have 'improvements' coming (yes, I know).

How come if Lewis was 52 points behind that it was fully on, but if Fernando is 4 points AHEAD that it is over?
And don't give me 'car difference' because McLaren was meant to be dominant at Suzuka, Lotus were meant to be amazing at Singapore etc.