Photo

5 races to go. Vettel 3x WDC?

• Please log in to reply
303 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win the 2012 WDC? (445 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win the 2012 WDC?

1. Alonso (75 votes [16.89%])

Percentage of vote: 16.89%

2. Vettel (307 votes [69.14%])

Percentage of vote: 69.14%

3. Hamilton (32 votes [7.21%])

Percentage of vote: 7.21%

4. Raikkonen (22 votes [4.95%])

Percentage of vote: 4.95%

5. Webber (5 votes [1.13%])

Percentage of vote: 1.13%

6. Button (3 votes [0.68%])

Percentage of vote: 0.68%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#51 apoka

apoka

• 3,479 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 16:57

It's just heartbreaking to see Fernando's lead mealting. He has been the mean of the year, hasn't put a foot wrong. He was exceptional in Valencia, Malaysia, Germany, Great-Britain, Italy, Barcelona. Vettel need just to cruise, Alonso never ever had a dominant car. If he takes pole or win he needs to sweat his whole body, while Vettel has the pleasure to cruise. I don't want to downlook Seb's performance, but what Fernando has done so far is magnificent. If he loses, the world should go crazy!

The world won't go crazy either way. And no, Vettel couldn't cruise in 2012 except on few occassions like Valencia and today. He had to earn his points the hard way most of the time. It's the typical "only remembering the last race" syndrome.

Advertisement

#52 repete

repete

• 182 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 17:02

Alonso still has to be the favorite. RBR/McL do not have the reliability.

I dont get where people are thinking the Ferrari does not have the pace. Its had the pace for most of the year. The team consistantly does flawless pitstops and near perfect strategies (for alonso).

Out of the main contenders, Alonso is the only one who we can be almost sure will have a car that will finish every GP.

#53 bauss

bauss

• 4,927 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 17:08

I vote for Ham in undying hope than expectation.

RB implementing the DDRS looks to me a game changer. The car has always been fast / one of the fastest this year but Mclaren and particularly LH has been able to take the fight to SV in qualifying putting him in a position to get better points on Sunday. But with the new DDRS and upgrades, Red Bull are beginning to look untouchable in qualy and thats all Vettel needs really. .... even without it 38 points for LH to climb is a big ask. Now, he will need miracles and alternators going boom...

FA too will need a good stroke of luck to keep the lead.

Vettel in pole position.

Newey has done it again...bastard.

#54 F1Champion

F1Champion

• 2,921 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 17:14

Right now I think that RB are still very shaky on reliability. Hamilton and Button will play a crucial part in this, they could well be inbetween Alonso making him lose more points. But never count out the Ferrari or Alonso, they keep getting podiums.

#55 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 17:14

Ferrari car is too slow, in fact it has always been too slow. Alonso had some lucky results, some good drives, and everyone else kept tripping over each other. But in a 20 race season you can't wing it entirely, the fastest car and driver usually comes out on top. Eventually their luck would have run out, and now it has.

At best Ferrari needed Alonso to not retire from any races and keep finishing top four/five, maybe one retirement he still had a chance. But two, with your rival winning? It's practically over. Alonso needs to win a race and make podiums for the rest to have a chance, with Vettel slipping up somewhere. He also needs McLaren to get their act together. I don't know, I can't see it happening.

Then again, 2010 wasn't too long ago, and practically everything happened that season. I just think RBR and Vettel have too much experience and speed now to not mess this one up.

McLaren is the joker, the wildcard. But I think everyones minds is elsewhere now after the whole Hamilton Mercedes thing.

I do think it will go all the way to Brazil though, but by the time it reaches Brazil it will be rather a formality for Vettel to snatch the title.

#56 Desdirodeabike

Desdirodeabike

• 1,890 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 17:17

Its Vettels and Red Bulls to lose for sure. In one week there will be a new WDC leader. Vettel usually blitzes Korea unless he retires.

#57 pRy

pRy

• 10,817 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 17:17

Alonso said it himself. He needs to start winning to win this title.. and judging from the wind tunnel issues.. that might not happen.

#58 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 1,266 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 17:19

2 races ago this poll would have looked completely different, which tells you all you need to know about this season. If vettel has two races like hamilton's just had then it all changes again.

#59 Ashitank

Ashitank

• 394 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 17:24

1 DNF from Vettel & he will have Lewis & Fernando all over him..... fun times ahead for every one ;) :kiss:

Advertisement

#60 canaus

canaus

• 162 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 17:24

Voted Vettel.

It pains me to do that but that's more likely. That doesn't mea it will be undeserved, as others are saying.

Newey&Vettel combination in this aerodinamic F1 is too strong, even for Alonso.
And it will be the same next year.

#61 canaus

canaus

• 162 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 17:27

Being a Vettel fan myself i sure hope he will win the title. But think about this for a second. Either it's Alonso ot Vettel this will be a historic moment in F1. A moment to remember. No matter where your allegiances are because we don't often see someone to become a 3 times champion. And whoever it is will be a living legend wheather you like it or not. 3 is the magical number in F1. there are no 3 champions whop are considered subpar. Stay real. Realise it.

No legendary things for winning 3 times in the best car. More needed for this kind of stuff.

#62 joshb

joshb

• 3,191 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 17:35

Vettel is favourite but its far from a done deal. Realistically Alonso and Hamilton are in it. I ust can't see Kimi doing it. He needs to win races and Lotus don't look like winning.
A bad race for Vettel, a win for Hamilton and he's right in there suddenly.

#63 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,791 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 17:40

The momentum has swung Vettel's way but there are still 125pts to play for.

I'd say Vettel is now a slight favorite over Alonso, with Hamilton a distant third. I don't think much of Kimi, Webber and Button's chances here eventhough mathematically all 3 of them are still in the game.

#64 BenettonB192

BenettonB192

• 845 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 17:50

No legendary things for winning 3 times in the best car. More needed for this kind of stuff.

RB was best car this season? I don't think so. Maybe in 3-5 of the 15 races so far. This season should have been McLaren's yet Ferrari and RB drivers are on top of the table.
The excuse that Vettel only wins when he has the fastest car doesn't fly anymore aftert this season. He didn't have the fastest car for most of the season yet managed to stay in touch with the top all the time.

#65 Les

Les

• 2,059 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 17:53

I'm afraid my prediction is that Red Bull will dominate the rest of the year. I don't think they will win every race - I think McLaren can win a race or two but I don't think Ferrari have enough in their locker to challenge, Hamilton is too far back.

#66 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 17:57

Until couple of days back people were saying McLaren is so dominant. Now people say Vettel will walk it. Lot of talk on Vettel vs Alonso. But Hamilton and Raikkonen may have something to say about that. Hamilton has a strong car and has been on and off the championship battle. Raikkonen somehow keeps clinging on. Let's say, Hamilton wins the next race, Vettel DNFs and Alonso stays around P4-P5 for the remaining races. Championship would be open once again. One thing that has been constant this season is the change.

#67 apoka

apoka

• 3,479 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 18:00

Is the RB8 actually the best car this season? What about McLaren? Or isn't it just too close to call any team the best? Was his RB6 including inreliability the best car? If yes, by what margin? As someone wrote in a different thread, you can twist everything until it doesn't look special anymore. But realistically, there aren't many question marks left over Vettels skills and performance. Sure, he will always want to win more titles, maybe in different cars and against different team mates etc., but he is still very young and will do most of this sooner or later.

#68 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 18:03

In Valencia everybody was "ohmygod redbullisagainasecondalapfasterthaneverybody ohmygodseasonover"

It's a close season, RB's updates worked this time around, that isn't a guarantee they will work again at the next set of flyaways, like they didn't work midsummer.

It's a mini 5 race championship, Alonso has a 4 point advantage, Vettel has momentum. It's not over by a long shot.

#69 Lone

Lone

• 603 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 18:05

If Vettel wins it this year I have to stand corrected. I never rated him as one of the absolutely best but if he wins it this year he is in my opinion actually one of the best and maybe and just maybe the best of them all. It hurts but I have to be honest. I always rated Alonso, Hamilton and Räikkonen better but with 3 WDC all my arguments are out the window. That is if he wins, if he doesn't I can still live in my belief that the others are better.

#70 Anonymous

Anonymous

• 2,948 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 18:09

Vettel 80%
Hamilton 15%
Alonso 5%

#71 prty

prty

• 5,161 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 18:10

You are missing the Newey option :D

#72 Zava

Zava

• 4,954 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 18:12

You are missing the Newey option :D

nah, Newey usually crashes out of his races, I think he lacks the consistency to do the job. :rolleyes:

#73 ensign14

ensign14

• 36,651 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 18:15

If Vettel wins it this year I have to stand corrected. I never rated him as one of the absolutely best but if he wins it this year he is in my opinion actually one of the best and maybe and just maybe the best of them all. It hurts but I have to be honest. I always rated Alonso, Hamilton and Räikkonen better but with 3 WDC all my arguments are out the window. That is if he wins, if he doesn't I can still live in my belief that the others are better.

What happens if Vettel only wins the title by 1 point and that because Alonso (or Hamilton) gets punted out by (to pick a name COMPLETELY at random) Grosjean on the last corner of the last lap?

The problem with relying on the title result pure is that it does not take into account such variables. Indeed I'd argue that the flaws in the points system have been shown up more this year - a driver could win close to half the races and not be champion, and I reckon we've not seen the racier side of Alonso because he has been "sitting" on his points lead, driving consistently for points rather than getting out his inner demon. I think even if Vettel wins the title Alonso and Hamilton are a cut above him. Either of them in a Red Bull would be clear of Vettel...

#74 zottzell

zottzell

• 96 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 18:31

I would say that this is pretty much gifted wrapped for Vettel as Ferrari cant give Alonso a fighting chance, you really cant be expected to be putting the car on podiums and even less win races when you have to start from third-fourth row.

Ferrari really needs to do something drastic as they don't seem to be able to develop fully competitive cars under the current regime, its really disheartening to see that a team of Ferrari's stature not only not being able to bring a competitive car at the start of the season but also being out developed over the course of the season. This year it seems that more then often the upgrades the team brings to the races are failures then successes.

#75 BenettonB192

BenettonB192

• 845 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 18:34

What happens if Vettel only wins the title by 1 point and that because Alonso (or Hamilton) gets punted out by (to pick a name COMPLETELY at random) Grosjean on the last corner of the last lap?

Imo ther's still a category above the "normal" 3-times champions. Fangio, Senna, Schumacher they are in their own league. Also the difference between a 2 and 3 times champ isn't that huge. I think a Vettel or Alonso belong in the same category as some of F1 biggest legends anyway no mattewr the number of titles. It's not like we have hundreds of champions to chose from. They both will be remembered for a long time and fondly by their fans.

#76 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 18:34

I would say that this is pretty much gifted wrapped for Vettel as Ferrari cant give Alonso a fighting chance, you really cant be expected to be putting the car on podiums and even less win races when you have to start from third-fourth row.

Ferrari really needs to do something drastic as they don't seem to be able to develop fully competitive cars under the current regime, its really disheartening to see that a team of Ferrari's stature not only not being able to bring a competitive car at the start of the season but also being out developed over the course of the season. This year it seems that more then often the upgrades the team brings to the races are failures then successes.

So ... you think Ferrari didn't have race pace? Cause a certain Mr Massa would beg to differ

#77 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,469 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 18:36

Imo ther's still a category above the "normal" 3-times champions. Fangio, Senna , Schumacher they are in their own league. Also the difference between a 2 and 3 times champ isn't that huge. I think a Vettel or Alonso belong in the same category as some of F1 biggest legends anyway no mattewr the number of titles. It's not like we have hundreds of champions to chose from. They both will be remembered for a long time and fondly by their fans.

Prost, you mean.

#78 BenettonB192

BenettonB192

• 845 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 18:38

Prost, you mean.

Yes perhaps belongs in the same category tho i wasn't convinced of his 4th title merit but that's just personal opinion.

#79 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,469 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 18:45

Yes perhaps belongs in the same category tho i wasn't convinced of his 4th title merit but that's just personal opinion.

Consider also that he was a the strongest challenger in 1983, 1984, 1988 and 1990 as well as being somewhat in contention in 1981 and 1982 (and obviously champion in 1985, 1986, 1989 and 1993). He was a major factor in F1 for about a decade (1981-1990).

Advertisement

#80 zottzell

zottzell

• 96 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 18:47

So ... you think Ferrari didn't have race pace? Cause a certain Mr Massa would beg to differ

They have pretty competitive race pace (sometimes) but starting from third row means that you are much more inclined to be involved in accidents at the race start and it also makes the races much more difficult and dependent on luck then they need to be if you start from the top.

Edited by zottzell, 07 October 2012 - 18:48.

#81 BenettonB192

BenettonB192

• 845 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 18:47

Consider also that he was a the strongest challenger in 1983, 1984, 1988 and 1990 as well as being somewhat in contention in 1981 and 1982 (and obviously champion in 1985, 1986, 1989 and 1993). He was a major factor in F1 for about a decade (1981-1990).

He rate him p4 on my personal all time greatest list :)

#82 canaus

canaus

• 162 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 18:54

Is the RB8 actually the best car this season? What about McLaren? Or isn't it just too close to call any team the best? Was his RB6 including inreliability the best car? If yes, by what margin? As someone wrote in a different thread, you can twist everything until it doesn't look special anymore. But realistically, there aren't many question marks left over Vettels skills and performance. Sure, he will always want to win more titles, maybe in different cars and against different team mates etc., but he is still very young and will do most of this sooner or later.

If you question that RBR6 was not the best car, is pointless to discuss with you. This year RBR was on par with McLaren, but much better on operational side.
Vettel is now 4 points behind Alonso with a clear car advantage all season and even "Alonso's luck" doesn't hold water anymore. What's so legendary in this?

#83 Lone

Lone

• 603 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 18:54

The problem with relying on the title result pure is that it does not take into account such variables. Indeed I'd argue that the flaws in the points system have been shown up more this year - a driver could win close to half the races and not be champion, and I reckon we've not seen the racier side of Alonso because he has been "sitting" on his points lead, driving consistently for points rather than getting out his inner demon. I think even if Vettel wins the title Alonso and Hamilton are a cut above him. Either of them in a Red Bull would be clear of Vettel...

Well, there's always different variables but winning 3 titles no matter how they come about is not down to circumstances. Alonso and Hamilton has ben in competitive machinery for many years and last time Alonso won a title was in -06.

#84 canaus

canaus

• 162 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 18:59

Well, there's always different variables but winning 3 titles no matter how they come about is not down to circumstances. Alonso and Hamilton has ben in competitive machinery for many years and last time Alonso won a title was in -06.

There is a big difference to be in a competitive car and a dominant one. But you clearly have an agenda.

#85 Lone

Lone

• 603 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 19:04

There is a big difference to be in a competitive car and a dominant one. But you clearly have an agenda.

And that is?

#86 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,469 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 19:08

And that is?

Obvious.

#87 Lone

Lone

• 603 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 19:09

Obvious.

Meaning?

#88 WatchingF1since4yearsold

WatchingF1since4yearsold

• 250 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 19:14

my heart cries Hamilton but my head says Vettel

#89 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 3,639 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 19:17

people say vettel cant luck into 3 championships? all of his circumstances have been exactly the same, if not easier

rubbish team mate
no.1 status
dominant car
rivals tripping over themselves

#90 tarmac

tarmac

• 1,155 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 19:21

Vettel 60%
Alonso 25%
Hamilton 10%
Kimi 3,9%
Webber 1,1%

Edited by tarmac, 07 October 2012 - 19:24.

#91 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 19:21

people say vettel cant luck into 3 championships? all of his circumstances have been exactly the same, if not easier

rubbish team mate
no.1 status
dominant car

he's had a dominant car this season? The internet sure is ... weird sometimes.

#92 DarthWillie

DarthWillie

• 1,664 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 19:23

certainly this year the RB is not dominant. The McLaren has been a better car most of the season. Look at the run from Hungary to Singapore, every race dominated by the McLaren. Problem is their failure rate wich is astonishing.

#93 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 19:26

certainly this year the RB is not dominant. The McLaren has been a better car most of the season. Look at the run from Hungary to Singapore, every race dominated by the McLaren. Problem is their failure rate wich is astonishing.

yeah but if you remove "dominant car" from the other dude's list then the list applies to Alonso too. Look.

rubbish team mate
no.1 status
dominant car

#94 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,469 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 19:27

yeah but if you remove "dominant car" from the other dude's list then the list applies to Alonso too. Look.

The "dominant car" is quite important :)

#95 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 19:28

The "dominant car" is quite important :)

if the car was dominant, it would be. But you need to be pretty special to consider this year's RedBull the dominant car of the season

#96 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,469 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 19:32

if the car was dominant, it would be. But you need to be pretty special to consider this year's RedBull the dominant car of the season

It has a nice lead in the WCC.

#97 mnmracer

mnmracer

• 1,972 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 19:33

They have pretty competitive race pace (sometimes) but starting from third row means that you are much more inclined to be involved in accidents at the race start and it also makes the races much more difficult and dependent on luck then they need to be if you start from the top.

6th, 6th, 11th, 7th, 10th, 4th, 3rd, 4th, 7th, 11th
How many start incidents has Vettel been involved in this year?

#98 canaus

canaus

• 162 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 19:35

Relative to Ferrari, yes dominant. On par with McLaren, but it's not Lewis fault, that he is so far behind, we all know.

#99 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 19:36

Relative to Ferrari, yes dominant. On par with McLaren, but it's not Lewis fault, that he is so far behind, we all know.

That's a bizarre definition of dominant.

Advertisement

#100 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 6,873 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 19:37

It has a nice lead in the WCC.

I guess we can cross another off the list then.

rubbish team mate
no.1 status
dominant car

After all, Webber has made a big contribution to those WCC points.

Edited by PayasYouRace, 07 October 2012 - 19:38.