Photo

5 races to go. Vettel 3x WDC?

• Please log in to reply
303 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win the 2012 WDC? (445 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win the 2012 WDC?

1. Alonso (75 votes [16.89%])

Percentage of vote: 16.89%

2. Vettel (307 votes [69.14%])

Percentage of vote: 69.14%

3. Hamilton (32 votes [7.21%])

Percentage of vote: 7.21%

4. Raikkonen (22 votes [4.95%])

Percentage of vote: 4.95%

5. Webber (5 votes [1.13%])

Percentage of vote: 1.13%

6. Button (3 votes [0.68%])

Percentage of vote: 0.68%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 sopa

sopa

• 2,192 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 19:39

In a season, where we have four different teams represented in the top four of drivers championship, it sounds insane to claim that a team is dominant. WDC standings: 1 Ferrari, 2 RBR, 3 Lotus, 4 McLaren. Indeed, four different teams at the top. Incredible!

People don't know, what domination is. Domination is 1992, 1996, 2002 and 2004, when not only one, but BOTH drivers of the same team disappear from the rest of the field in the point standings. Four different teams represented at the top of the championship means competition is as equal as it can get.

Advertisement

#102 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,220 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 19:41

I guess we can cross another off the list then.

After all, Webber has made a big contribution to those WCC points.

The more dominant the car, the less impressive the team-mate needs to be to score a big contribution of WCC points.

#103 toxicfusion

toxicfusion

• 519 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 19:42

An Alonso title is now relaying on the following:

McLaren drivers winning races/ahead of Vettel.
Red Bull's speed advantage around Suzuka not translating to the remaining races
Ferrari bringing something to the car.

#104 canaus

canaus

• 162 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 19:42

That's a bizarre definition of dominant.

Bizzare is to question 2010 and 2011. Beside, I understand that you are agree with my santance. Than you.

#105 ASFA2011

ASFA2011

• 286 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 19:45

Well , the RB is peaking up at the right moment and it is safe to say that it is the fastest car by a mile now and there should be no problem for Vettel to win all the remaining races
Yes , he will be 3 WDC at the end of the season and anyone saying that is all down to luck and that he is not a good driver then is plain stupid to say the least
In the other hand to say that he is a 3 WDC because he is the best ever is also plain stupid , he has enjoyed the best car by a mile in the last 3 seasons , so his success can be attributed to the car , Alonso and Hamilton could have done the same dominant display with that car

#106 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 5,975 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 19:46

The more dominant the car, the less impressive the team-mate needs to be to score a big contribution of WCC points.

We're still talking about this year's car, right? We've established that it isn't dominant, therefore Webber isn't rubbish. That is assuming there is a full spectrum of driver quality between rubbish and legend.

#107 sailor

sailor

• 585 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 19:46

I just wondered what people think after the Japanese Grand Prix. A few races ago some dared to say it was mostly Alonso's business but there where 175-200 points ahead.

This weekend Red Bull showed they are extremely strong in medium and high speed corners which means they will probably dominate Brazil at least. They have been really good in Korea, Abu Dhabi, India... they have been 0,4 secs faster than McLaren and around 1 faster than Ferrari. Five races to go only and Vettel's already only 4 points behind Alonso, whose car is miles far from the Red Bull, and the McLarens are over 40 points behind.

Do you think it's again Vettel's championship? Will conditions change in the next few tracks and will Hamilton bounce back or Ferrari improve enough to be competitive and fight for the title until the last race? What's your opinion on the matter?

I said it soon after Valecia DNF that the title is Vettel's to squander.

And he deserves the 3rd (should it happen) the most.

#108 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 5,975 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 19:47

Well , the RB is peaking up at the right moment and it is safe to say that it is the fastest car by a mile now and there should be no problem for Vettel to win all the remaining races
Yes , he will be 3 WDC at the end of the season and anyone saying that is all down to luck and that he is not a good driver then is plain stupid to say the least
In the other hand to say that he is a 3 WDC because he is the best ever is also plain stupid , he has enjoyed the best car by a mile in the last 3 seasons , so his success can be attributed to the car , Alonso and Hamilton could have done the same dominant display with that car

That would never be a wise prediction, but even less so in a changeable season like this year's.

#109 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,220 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 19:51

We're still talking about this year's car, right? We've established that it isn't dominant, therefore Webber isn't rubbish. That is assuming there is a full spectrum of driver quality between rubbish and legend.

I consider the Red Bull the best car to have this year (including team operational aspects), but, you are right, not truly dominant. No car is dominant this year.

#110 canaus

canaus

• 162 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 19:52

Nobody is speaking about this year car.

#111 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 5,975 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 20:00

Nobody is speaking about this year car.

Oh really?

It has a nice lead in the WCC.

I was replying to a comment about this year's car so you might forgive my confusion.

Edited by PayasYouRace, 07 October 2012 - 20:33.

#112 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 9,450 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 20:16

There is one, at least, who is often disparaged on this forum - Nelson Piquet. Actually, now that I think of it, Stewart and Lauda come in for plenty of abuse too.

Theyd have to be blind to not rate him high.

#113 turssi

turssi

• 907 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 20:21

SebFet will take 8 consecutive titles. 4 with Red Bull and 4 with the Prancing Horse!

#114 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 1,089 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 20:25

Vettel has simply had the best consistency and luck of the top three this season if he goes on to win it. I just hope he does something a bit inspirational along the way and doesn't just sort of win by default. That's not to disparagingly say he doesn't deserve it but in my view he has been lower than Hamilton and alonso in terms of performance so far this season

#115 JBLeon

JBLeon

• 120 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 20:31

I never expected Vettel to be within 4 points of Alonso after Suzuka but... Methinks it's going to be a 5-race procession for Fernando.

I'm a lot more interested about what is going to happen at Ferrari when he loses the WDC.

This one's going to be a major blow for Fernando.

Edited by JBLeon, 07 October 2012 - 20:31.

#116 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 8,851 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 20:32

It's looking Schumacher-esque.

#117 Anja

Anja

• 456 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 20:35

I kinda made my peace with Vettel winning another title after yesterday's quali.

#118 JBLeon

JBLeon

• 120 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 20:38

[...]Ferrari bringing something to the car.

Which will most likely NOT work.

Oh yeah, future is bright.

#119 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 2,384 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 20:40

The Red Bull is dominant right now and that is what will allow Vettel to win the championship.
Yes the Webber being rubbish was an exaggeration but he hasn't challenged seb for a long long time.

The point I'm trying to bring across is that the 80% car 20% driver is more 85% car with the red bull.

Edited by TomNokoe, 07 October 2012 - 20:41.

Advertisement

#120 mnmracer

mnmracer

• 1,972 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 20:46

The Red Bull is dominant right now and that is what will allow Vettel to win the championship.
Yes the Webber being rubbish was an exaggeration but he hasn't challenged seb for a long long time.

The point I'm trying to bring across is that the 80% car 20% driver is more 85% car with the red bull.

Usually there is some reasoning to making a point?

#121 BetaVersion

BetaVersion

• 689 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 20:47

74% only :drunk:

People, it's OVER.

Vettel WDC 3 times in a row

#122 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 2,384 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 20:47

Usually there is some reasoning to making a point?

have you seen how easy that thing is to drive for the kid.

and no I'm not saying f1 cars are easy to.drive.

Edited by TomNokoe, 07 October 2012 - 20:49.

#123 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 1,089 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 20:49

It's car/ driver stuff is 98% bollocks. Pit vet/ham/alo in the same car and ask them to do 100 laps each there'd be absolutely feck all in it. That's why pretty much all races come down to luck, car performance in general, car performance on the day and luck. Also a bit of luck thrown in for good measure.

Edited by superdelphinus, 07 October 2012 - 20:49.

#124 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 20:50

The only thing that is 80% here is the amount of people doing the crying also being Hamilton fans. Unless I'm wrong and it's 100%

#125 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 20:51

It's car/ driver stuff is 98% bollocks. Pit vet/ham/alo in the same car and ask them to do 100 laps each there'd be absolutely feck all in it. That's why pretty much all races come down to luck, car performance in general, car performance on the day and luck. Also a bit of luck thrown in for good measure.

It's pointless to try to make reasonable points or have a discussion, these people demonstrably understand nothing about F1. I doubt they have even watched most races of this season(let alone know anything about F1's history)

Edited by EvanRainer, 07 October 2012 - 20:52.

#126 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 20:55

If Vettel wins the title it will be very impressive.He's driven exceptionally well this year and if he wins it kudos to him.

#127 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 1,089 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 20:56

I can't remember when f1 became so tribal, it's almost as bad as football now. Don't remember it being like this when I was a kid, but then I guess there was no Internet then

#128 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 21:04

Superdelphinus, to be fair there were always some insane fans (I remember some completely bonkers schumi fans back in the day) but it became THIS bad when back oh around 2007 or so a lot of people discovered F1 suddenly due to the hype surrounding Hamilton.

New fans discovering the sport is not bad but what saddens me the most is the amount of people that seem to understand nothing about racing to the point where you can tell they haven't even played a semi-sim racing game before.

I mean opinions are fine but if you really have to argue with someone whether Vettel is a good driver it is pointless. They are either trolling or understand nothing.

#129 Arska

Arska

• 711 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 21:08

How quick are people to forget Renault's extremely reliable alternator? But anyway, if nothing unexpected happens, Vettel is expected to take it.

#130 mnmracer

mnmracer

• 1,972 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 21:08

have you seen how easy that thing is to drive for the kid.

and no I'm not saying f1 cars are easy to.drive.

Is not making a win look easy what separates the great from the not-so-bads?
Or do you think Villeneuve is a better driver than Hakkinen because he made it look difficult to win in the 1997 Williams?

#131 turssi

turssi

• 907 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 21:10

It's looking Schumacher-esque.

At least for me he isn't dominating that strongly (yet) and neither is he as bad in sportsmanship (yet) than what Schumi was in his heyday! Schumi was so strong that he made a lot of people (me included) to stop watching F1.

I hope that the Fettel-saga does not go that direction.

#132 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,212 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 21:20

Suzuka is a very good acid test for car performance - and the current iteration of the RB8 is looking very, very good. Trust Newey to get his developments in to get the car to peak at the right time :cat: . And it's not as if Vettel has not had a few slices of bad luck......

So you've now got a great driver in an operationally great team in what now looks like a great car - and who has probably had most, if not all of his bad luck........ As Bumble says..... "Start the car"..........

Now where did I put that frickin' alternator.......

Edited by maverick69, 07 October 2012 - 21:24.

#133 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,212 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 21:23

The only thing that is 80% here is the amount of people doing the crying also being Hamilton fans. Unless I'm wrong and it's 100%

Congratulations...... You win prize:

Posted Image

#134 Smile17

Smile17

• 1,113 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 21:23

74% only :drunk:

People, it's OVER.

Vettel WDC 3 times in a row

This is F1 and I've seen stranger things happen. Button might just take it :lol:

#135 Nahnever

Nahnever

• 245 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 21:30

If Vettel wins it again then F1 really has become a piece of ****!

Edited by Nahnever, 07 October 2012 - 21:31.

#136 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 21:31

Congratulations...... You win prize:

Posted Image

Was I wrong?

You misunderstand me. It's not my intention to lump all Hamilton fans in with some nutters. It's just that, a kid like Vettel has given absolutely no reason to any reasonable person to "hate" him. In my experience, the only reason people hate Vettel is because he stole the limelight from whatever driver they worship.

That's why I refuse to treat this people with any respect or engage them in a rational discussion.

#137 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 21:37

Was I wrong?

You misunderstand me. It's not my intention to lump all Hamilton fans in with some nutters. It's just that, a kid like Vettel has given absolutely no reason to any reasonable person to "hate" him. In my experience, the only reason people hate Vettel is because he stole the limelight from whatever driver they worship.

That's why I refuse to treat this people with any respect or engage them in a rational discussion.

You should practice what you preach,it's a start.

#138 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 21:41

No disrespect but would Vettel be the worst 3WDC should he win?

#139 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,212 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 21:46

No way.

He can only drive what's infront of him - and given how tight it is this year - IMO it would be one of the most impressive WDCs in recent memory.

I think he's a bit of a bellend - but he's defo the real deal.

Edited by maverick69, 07 October 2012 - 21:46.

Advertisement

#140 SunnyENTP

SunnyENTP

• 717 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 21:48

Was I wrong?

lol! You really need to get out more... well actually log in more - go to webber fans forum :lol:

#141 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 21:49

No way.

He can only drive what's infront of him - and given how tight it is this year - IMO it would be one of the most impressive WDCs in recent memory.

I think he's a bit of a bellend - but he's defo the real deal.

Jack Brabham

Jackie Stewart

Niki Lauda

Nelson Piquet

Ayrton Senna

I understand that and think he is a great driver but having looked at the 3WDC i wouldn't put him bottom but he wouldn't be in the top half.

#142 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,220 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 21:53

Jack Brabham

Jackie Stewart

Niki Lauda

Nelson Piquet

Ayrton Senna

I understand that and think he is a great driver but having looked at the 3WDC i wouldn't put him bottom but he wouldn't be in the top half.

When you think about it, they have all won WDCs under at least two eras in terms of regulations/technology.

#143 sopa

sopa

• 2,192 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 21:54

Maybe someone can explain, what would make Vettel an unworthy or - dare I say - even a "worst" champion? I have kept reading the whole season, how bad his triumph would be. Okay, one thing is that people like to see a different champion instead of seeing one driver getting three in a row. But people seem to insist that he is too "average" to win titles at all.

I can't see, what Vettel has done wrong this year to not deserve the title. His racing has been good. I can't remember a race, where he genuinely lacked race pace like say Hamilton did at Suzuka now. Racecraft - much better than in 2010, when Seb was making mistakes. He had an accident with Karthikeyan, but then again Alonso had a similar accident with Raikkonen last time.

The only thing you can point out are some qualifying performances, where Vettel failed to even make Q3. But other title contender - Raikkonen - has been outqualified by his team-mate most of the time. And even the great Alonso hasn't maximized everything all the time, spinning out in qualifying in Australia.

#144 Velocifer

Velocifer

• 736 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 21:54

Vettel winning was always the likely thing, just a shame the underdog story of Alonso/Ferrari don't seem to get the hollywood ending.

#145 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,212 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 22:00

Jack Brabham

Jackie Stewart

Niki Lauda

Nelson Piquet

Ayrton Senna

I get where you're coming from....... Horses for courses and all that - but I reckon he'd tonk Lauda and Piquet. Whether his titles are less impressive is obviously a matter for debate......... and for another thread........ assuming he wins it.........

#146 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 22:01

Maybe someone can explain, what would make Vettel an unworthy or - dare I say - even a "worst" champion? I have kept reading the whole season, how bad his triumph would be. Okay, one thing is that people like to see a different champion instead of seeing one driver getting three in a row. But people seem to insist that he is too "average" to win titles at all.

I can't see, what Vettel has done wrong this year to not deserve the title. His racing has been good. I can't remember a race, where he genuinely lacked race pace like say Hamilton did at Suzuka now. Racecraft - much better than in 2010, when Seb was making mistakes. He had an accident with Karthikeyan, but then again Alonso had a similar accident with Raikkonen last time.

The only thing you can point out are some qualifying performances, where Vettel failed to even make Q3. But other title contender - Raikkonen - has been outqualified by his team-mate most of the time. And even the great Alonso hasn't maximized everything all the time, spinning out in qualifying in Australia.

Which is something Vettel is renowned for... when the car wasn't there nor was he.

#147 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 22:04

He's already won it. Gutted.

#148 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,355 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 22:05

Vettel winning was always the likely thing, just a shame the underdog story of Alonso/Ferrari don't seem to get the hollywood ending.

:up:

#149 travbrad

travbrad

• 510 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 00:53

Nothing is ever certain in F1, but Vettel is definitely the favorite for the championship now, looking at how fast Red Bull has been compared to Ferrari recently. Of course you can never count out Alonso, but I just don't think he has the car right now to fight the Red Bulls.

I think it's a major longshot for anyone other than Vettel or Alonso to win the championship though, and I thought the same thing even before Suzuka. Hamilton/Mclaren have been fast but inconsistent and had reliability problems, and Lotus seems to be dropping back pace-wise.

Edited by travbrad, 08 October 2012 - 00:53.

#150 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 1,807 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 00:57

Man,with truth,how i would like ham to be the worst three times world champion. :lol:

3 times is legend stuff,no matter what angle you see it.

Edited by Boxerevo, 08 October 2012 - 00:59.