Photo

5 races to go. Vettel 3x WDC?

• Please log in to reply
303 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win the 2012 WDC? (445 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win the 2012 WDC?

1. Alonso (75 votes [16.89%])

Percentage of vote: 16.89%

2. Vettel (307 votes [69.14%])

Percentage of vote: 69.14%

3. Hamilton (32 votes [7.21%])

Percentage of vote: 7.21%

4. Raikkonen (22 votes [4.95%])

Percentage of vote: 4.95%

5. Webber (5 votes [1.13%])

Percentage of vote: 1.13%

6. Button (3 votes [0.68%])

Percentage of vote: 0.68%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#151 turssi

turssi

• 1,558 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:15

Looking at the scoreboard after Japan it's clear that Fernando, Kimi, the Maccas and the RBRs have delivered this year. If Fernando or Kimi takes the title it will be the biggest feat in recent times. I mean the best cars are from McLaren and RBR.

Fernando is driving great and getting the full support of Ferrari, so he is leading in front of faster cars. What Kimi is doing at 3rd place is hard to understand as well, but it has to do with McLaren blundering and Kimi doing a superb come-back.

Advertisement

#152 nada12

nada12

• 458 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:36

Jack Brabham

Jackie Stewart

Niki Lauda

Nelson Piquet

Ayrton Senna

I understand that and think he is a great driver but having looked at the 3WDC i wouldn't put him bottom but he wouldn't be in the top half.

You'd be comparing a 25 year old with 5 seasons under his belt to the whole body of work of a couple of all-time greats though. He might not even be a third of the way through his career.

#153 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,819 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:40

No disrespect but would Vettel be the worst 3WDC should he win?

That is like asking which Billionaire has the least amount of money.

#154 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 2,951 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:20

Jack Brabham - Won in his own team!

Jackie Stewart - Pretty much dominated for 6 years over 2 different teams and the biggest changes in car design.

Niki Lauda - Retired, came back and won in 1984. Beat Prost of all people, too.

Nelson Piquet - Won three during the era of Prost, Senna, Mansell.

Ayrton Senna - Nuff said, really.

I understand that and think he is a great driver but having looked at the 3WDC i wouldn't put him bottom but he wouldn't be in the top half.

Wouldn't let him near that list TBH, Alonso would be worthy if he pulled this year by some fluke of magic.

#155 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:17

Not on that list at 25, I am sure Vettel will be very sad. And before you dismiss what Vettel has achieved, think about what that says about the other drivers who had competitive cars in the last 3 seasons. If the youngest 3x WDC is not worthy, are the other worthy to win even one WDC?

#156 apoka

apoka

• 3,611 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:18

No disrespect

Yeah, sure.

but would Vettel be the worst 3WDC should he win?

Well, you could already put him below Senna, at a similar level to Stewart and Lauda and a bit above Brabham and Piquet if you want. But a) he still has a long career ahead of him and, most importantly, b) he is not 3 times WDC yet. Those discussions are better done off season.

Honestly, it is pretty telling that some think it is a done deal when Alonso in a Ferrari is still ahead of him. It is still a long way to go.

#157 apoka

apoka

• 3,611 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:24

Not on that list at 25, I am sure Vettel will be very sad. And before you dismiss what Vettel has achieved, think about what that says about the other drivers who had competitive cars in the last 3 seasons. If the youngest 3x WDC is not worthy, are the other worthy to win even one WDC?

So true. Everyone talks about how even the field is and that we are blessed with talent including multiple highly regarded world champions on the grid. That is quickly forgotten by some posters when it comes to judging Vettel.

#158 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:36

Lets wait for him to win third championship first, than we talk how "insignificant" that benchmark is. Five to go.

Edited by Sakae, 08 October 2012 - 06:36.

#159 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 10,077 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:05

When you think about it, they have all won WDCs under at least two eras in terms of regulations/technology.

Which is why I rate Piquet so high.
First WDC - ground effect cars
Second WDC - no groud effect, turbo engines
Third WDC - no ground effect and turbos, first WDC for Honda, start of an era.

Its not liked he lucked into a mostly stable scenario with a dominant team.

Advertisement

#160 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,470 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:35

Wouldn't let him near that list TBH, Alonso would be worthy if he pulled this year by some fluke of magic.

I would remove one point from Jackie and add one to Lauda in your list. Jackie won all his titles in the same team, Ken Tyrrell's. Though it was done with different cars, Matra and then Tyrrell's own.

Lauda also came back from his shocking accident.

#161 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,470 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:43

And all that against Senna, Prost, Jones, Mansell, and a lot more.

Its not liked he benefitted from a mostly stable scenario with a dominant team.

I think it's a bit generous to call the 1983 and 1987 drastically different. But I suppose one was early days of turbos with refuelling while the other was with limited fuel and boost. I wouldn't say that Honda would define an era in that sense. Yes they did have a long period of domination, but it was first with turbos and then with 3.5s, V10 and V12.

#162 mnmracer

mnmracer

• 1,972 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:58

And all that against Senna, Prost, Jones, Mansell, and a lot more.

Its not liked he benefitted from a mostly stable scenario with a dominant team.

Vettel was runner-up in fuelling era, won two in non-fuelling.
Won with EBD (ground effect-like), is now fighting to win without EBD.
Won in a field much more competitive then ever before, with 5 world champions on the grid.

#163 GotYoubyTheBalls

GotYoubyTheBalls

• 301 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:59

I hope Alonso can make a fightback and claim his third, he thoroughly deserves this years WDC unless he really drops the ball in the last 5. Pure class all season.

But Vettel winning would be by no means undeserved. He has been superb all season too fighting in a car that is by no means the best car.

Alonso and Vettel really showed why they are the top 2 with no peers this year frankly putting the Mac drivers to shame in what has been a superior car all season long. :up: :up: :up: :up:

#164 apoka

apoka

• 3,611 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:00

I would think that the 2010 and 2011 cars are also quite different, because of the Bridgestone -> Pirelli change. It essentially requires a different way of driving. Not allowing refueling is also a major change. So, I think adapting to new challenges is something Vettel had to do as well.

Edit: I was too late.

Edited by apoka, 08 October 2012 - 08:03.

#165 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 10,077 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:30

Vettel was runner-up in fuelling era, won two in non-fuelling.
Won with EBD (ground effect-like), is now fighting to win without EBD.
Won in a field much more competitive then ever before, with 5 world champions on the grid.

You misunderstood me, I was not comparing Piquet to Vettel at all. I simply pointed out how different the cars were when Piquet won and against a very strong opposition. I also think the change from Bridgestone to Pirelli was huge, not to mention KERS isn't a simple bolt on solution and there are enough proven drivers on the grid.

I only thing I hold against Vettel is that he doesn't drive for McLaren!

Edited by Atreiu, 08 October 2012 - 08:52.

#166 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,744 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:10

Thing is, ground effects were banned for 1981. Only to be re-introduced by the back door cos Brabham had already found a way around it. Essentially Brabham were the only ground effects team for the first three races, in which Piquet scored 13 points; in Argentina he crucially beat Reutemann to the win.

And in another example of how the World Championship is a crock of arbitrary shite the South African GP, which should have been a points race, wasn't - and Reutemann would have won the title had it been included. Reutemann was the most successful Grand Prix driver in 1981 and wasn't world champion.

Anyway, the real WC in '81 should have been Jolly Jacques. He had a monster of a season that's underrated at this remove. He had good team-mates in Jarier and Tambay and they scored zero points, yet Lafitte went into Vegas with a shot at the title.

#167 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 10,077 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:50

I confess not knowing any of that. I still rate Piquet high and he still won in all types of cars.

#168 mlsnoopy

mlsnoopy

• 2,356 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:52

McLaren did their best to lose the WDC and the WCC. Just like in 2007.

#169 stuck-in-first-gear

stuck-in-first-gear

• 1,857 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:57

Vettel and the RB boys certainly have the momentum on their side. They also seem to handle close season endings pretty well, so at the moment, Vettel seems to have a better chance.

There are however a number of variables such as the McLarens, Lotus and the odd Sauber/Williams etc. who could play a decisive role in the end.

In any case, Alonso has done a great job so far to find himself in this position and Vettel had a strong comeback, hanging in there for some time where things were not ideal.

#170 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 1,658 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:26

I guess to me it is the lack of epic drives from the man it is a bit odd that he almost has 3 WDC's. He only seems to be winning when in front. Hardly the stuff legends are made of. His only memorable win was his first victory in Monza. Also it is a Newey engineerde car. Newey had the disadvantage he was up against Schumacher & Ferrari for 10+ years championship wise. That competition is gone and since teams can't power their way out of aero trouble with a better engine, aero became the most important factor.

#171 joshb

joshb

• 3,336 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:36

I guess to me it is the lack of epic drives from the man it is a bit odd that he almost has 3 WDC's. He only seems to be winning when in front. Hardly the stuff legends are made of. His only memorable win was his first victory in Monza. Also it is a Newey engineerde car. Newey had the disadvantage he was up against Schumacher & Ferrari for 10+ years championship wise. That competition is gone and since teams can't power their way out of aero trouble with a better engine, aero became the most important factor.

Senna? Fangio?

And his 'boring, non-epic' drive from pole in Suzuka was much better than his comparitively 'epic' win from 3rd in Singapore because in Singapore he underperformed in Qualy and lined up 3rd. In Japan, he was mega all the way through.

Why people think a lights to flag win is nothing special whereas a win from 8th after a fluffed qualy is epic is beyond me

#172 sailor

sailor

• 585 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:38

2 Grand Chelems - one in a non dominant car.
Multiple lights to flag victories
Victory in an STR

If those are not enough for you, I doubt Vettel will be able to show you more. Please look someone else to support - although you may have to wait a long while before someone comes along to satisfy your high standards.
No current driver or one from the last 15 years meets your criteria

#173 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 1,658 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:38

To me it is more like:
Senna @ Monaco (insert any year)
Senna @ Donington 1993
Schumacher @ Spain 1995 (broken gearbox and nursing to the podium)
Schumacher @ Spain 1996 (epic rain race)
Schumacher @ Hungary 1998 (qualy mode during race)
Schumacher @ Monaco (multiple races)
Schumacher vs. Hakinnen @ Suzuka 2000 (they were on their own league)

Maybe it is because Vettel had less opportunity to become controversial. He did not have much toe-to-toe racing with direct championship competitors. You see more and more that a car is so good at a particular track, the driver doesn't meet much competition that race.

There is a different mentality as well due to engine/gearbox/etc saving. You used to see the leader get 1+ minute ahead untill the mid/end nineties. After that leaders slowed down earlier to save the car.

#174 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 13:20

It is team sport and Vettel didn't win it alone. He did his part and the team did their part. Good for them.

#175 ferrarijon123

ferrarijon123

• 851 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 13:23

Wow! i can't believe people in here already congratulating Vettel on X3 WDC already. There's 5 races to go and as we all know F1 is the most unpredictable sport there is. Plus his rival is Fernando Alonso, a man that's won his 2 championships while being closed down by drivers in faster cars. I still fully believe that he can do it.

Edited by ferrarijon123, 08 October 2012 - 13:23.

#176 sailor

sailor

• 585 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 14:21

It is team sport and Vettel didn't win it alone. He did his part and the team did their part. Good for them.

I find it funny that you had to point that out.
Its true universally isnt it? For each pole, podium or win

Even more so to titles including each of Senna / Schumi or Alonso's .

#177 Jamiednm

Jamiednm

• 1,761 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 14:47

Wow! i can't believe people in here already congratulating Vettel on X3 WDC already. There's 5 races to go and as we all know F1 is the most unpredictable sport there is. Plus his rival is Fernando Alonso, a man that's won his 2 championships while being closed down by drivers in faster cars. I still fully believe that he can do it.

Red Bull seem to have found something that has added a lot of performance to an already competitive car. I think Vettel will blow Alonso away in the next few races - I don't think Alonso will even be in the title hunt mathematically come Brazil. The F2012 just isn't up to the job. Raikonnen hasn't got a race winning car and Hamilton is too far back and has (along with McLaren) shown too much inconsistency this season to peg Vettel back. It looks like a straightforward title run in now for Vettel.

#178 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,656 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 14:53

Red Bull seem to have found something that has added a lot of performance to an already competitive car. I think Vettel will blow Alonso away in the next few races - I don't think Alonso will even be in the title hunt mathematically come Brazil. The F2012 just isn't up to the job. Raikonnen hasn't got a race winning car and Hamilton is too far back and has (along with McLaren) shown too much inconsistency this season to peg Vettel back. It looks like a straightforward title run in now for Vettel.

Everybody sees a team do well in a race or two and freaks out about them. I expect Mclaren to be back and Ferrari could still have chances at some races coming up. Wouldn't write off Lotus doing something good, either. Red Bull have had little spurts where they've looked set to dominate but then things change. I think Vettel probably has a better chance at this point on-paper, but lots of things can happen.

#179 HP

HP

• 14,383 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 15:03

Right now Id say Alonso and Vettel to have even odds while Hamilton and Kimi are very long shots. The rest can only dream.

I agree, except for Kimi. His car isn't good enough, and his qualifying pace could be better. And for Kimi or Hamilton to win, both, Vettel and Alonso must lose massive points.

Advertisement

#180 HP

HP

• 14,383 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 15:09

A lot depends how Ferrari has adapted their car to a tad cooler weather. Vettel seems to thrive towards the end of the season and being able to deliver under pressure. But so does Alonso. and the Ferrari seems so far the most reliable car of the front runners.

At least the outcome of this years championship isn't settled yet, which is great.

#181 Juggles

Juggles

• 898 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 15:09

I find it funny that you had to point that out.
Its true universally isnt it? For each pole, podium or win

Even more so to titles including each of Senna / Schumi or Alonso's .

Why even more so? Surely just the same.

Either Alonso or Vettel would be a worthy champion this season (as would Hamilton but he is in a tough spot). I have a slightly strange feeling at this stage; I felt for so much of the season that this was either meant to be Alonso's season or Hamilton's season, yet Vettel has suddenly come from relative obscurity to win two in a row and become the overwhelming favourite. It's so unscripted and slightly disappointing. That's not to say he hasn't driven well; I just think Alonso should be a 3x WDC before Vettel, but you can't deny Red Bull currently deserve this WDC more than Ferrari do.

Whichever package wins at the end is probably the one that deserves it. I say "probably" because the package includes the driver, the car and the team: if a driver underperforms, the car is not fast or not reliable enough, or the team muck up strategy or pit stops then the 'package' becomes less deserving. It is so difficult to separate those three elements in this sport so we have to take the failures of the package along with the successes of the package. The only exceptions to this are truly external factors: Alonso, for example, has retired twice on the first lap. Not sure about Suzuka but Spa cannot be blamed on either Alonso or Ferrari. I don't know if Vettel's alternator problems should be considered an external factor in the same way because Renault are part of their package; they bring a great deal of benefit to Red Bull but one of their components has failed twice on Vettel's car.

I also don't think the points system is always an accurate reflection of 'package' performance over a season, but I'll save that for when this season is over.

To answer the question directly even though I think predictions in F1 are almost entirely pointless: yes, Vettel will be a 3x WDC in five races time but it will be Hamilton, not Alonso, as his closest challenger when the chequered flag falls in Brazil.

#182 PinkZepStones

PinkZepStones

• 220 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 15:12

Its ridiculous, in singapore Hamilton was the title favourite, after Singapore it was Alonso, after suzukain Vettel.

Mclaren havent gone away and in wet races Alonso seems superior to all, itll flop around right until Brazil, nobody is going to have a 25 point lead over second place man going into Brazil as far as im concerned.

Mclaren got it wrong with Hamilton and considering his average is like 2 places ahead of where Button qualified? He coulda finished second here and possibly first. I still actually expect Lewis in particular to claim pole at at least two of the remaining five and qualifying second at the rest. Mclaren just got it totally wrong in suzuka.

Vettel also has the alternators, and Alonsos car is nowhere still, its all still to play for and we can only take one race at a time.

#183 Menace

Menace

• 12,395 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 15:16

Fingerboy will probably get it, and it will/would be well deserved. :up:

#184 HP

HP

• 14,383 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 15:16

Make that 6 world champions (FA, JB, KR, LH, MSC, SV)

#185 HP

HP

• 14,383 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 15:30

Why even more so? Surely just the same.

Either Alonso or Vettel would be a worthy champion this season (as would Hamilton but he is in a tough spot). I have a slightly strange feeling at this stage; I felt for so much of the season that this was either meant to be Alonso's season or Hamilton's season, yet Vettel has suddenly come from relative obscurity to win two in a row and become the overwhelming favourite. It's so unscripted and slightly disappointing. That's not to say he hasn't driven well; I just think Alonso should be a 3x WDC before Vettel, but you can't deny Red Bull currently deserve this WDC more than Ferrari do.

Whichever package wins at the end is probably the one that deserves it. I say "probably" because the package includes the driver, the car and the team: if a driver underperforms, the car is not fast or not reliable enough, or the team muck up strategy or pit stops then the 'package' becomes less deserving. It is so difficult to separate those three elements in this sport so we have to take the failures of the package along with the successes of the package. The only exceptions to this are truly external factors: Alonso, for example, has retired twice on the first lap. Not sure about Suzuka but Spa cannot be blamed on either Alonso or Ferrari. I don't know if Vettel's alternator problems should be considered an external factor in the same way because Renault are part of their package; they bring a great deal of benefit to Red Bull but one of their components has failed twice on Vettel's car.

I also don't think the points system is always an accurate reflection of 'package' performance over a season, but I'll save that for when this season is over.

To answer the question directly even though I think predictions in F1 are almost entirely pointless: yes, Vettel will be a 3x WDC in five races time but it will be Hamilton, not Alonso, as his closest challenger when the chequered flag falls in Brazil.

The thing with Vettel seems that he is able to thrive in the 2nd half of the season, hence I never wrote him off. I'd not be surprised if these things start to get under Alonso's skin. Abu Dhabi 2010, now this. Alonso starting to make similar noises like he did at Renault, when odds seemed to be stacking up against him, causing some raised eyebrows for me. If Alonso wins it, good on him. If Hamilton is closer then Alonso at the end, then it's because of the car. But Hamilton has to prove that his nerves don't show up in the last few races, and he still being within striking distance for a championship

#186 HP

HP

• 14,383 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 15:34

Fingerboy will probably get it, and it will/would be well deserved. :up:

Alonso, Hamilton and Vettel all have 3 wins to their name this season so far. It would be well deserved for either of them.

#187 David1976

David1976

• 935 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 15:38

Realistically Red Bull are heading back to the domination they enjoyed in 2011 and will be difficult to beat from now on.

Therefore for me, as Webber in my opinion is not championship material let alone in the chase, Vettel will cruise to the title this year.

Personally, I would like Fred to win it this year as I think he deserves it given his performances with a car that is without doubt the third best on the grid - sometimes worse.

#188 McStiggy

McStiggy

• 27 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 15:40

I think it's best to wait until after Korea to make any safe predictions. If Red Bull are as dominant as they were in Japan, then I think it's fairly safe to say that Vettel has this pretty much in the bag.

Hope I'm wrong though! That would truly be an anti-climatic way of finishing this epic season. :D

#189 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 15:43

Alonso and Vettel certainly deserve it. For Hamilton no one could really argue against either before all the drama started again so just a peg below that if not for any reason other than he didn't really do anything spectacular in my opinion and mostly drove just solid. Focusing on driving solid was actually correct and should have been enough to build a lead in the early part of the season if McLaren hadn't blown it.

#190 Juggles

Juggles

• 898 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 15:56

The thing with Vettel seems that he is able to thrive in the 2nd half of the season, hence I never wrote him off. I'd not be surprised if these things start to get under Alonso's skin. Abu Dhabi 2010, now this. Alonso starting to make similar noises like he did at Renault, when odds seemed to be stacking up against him, causing some raised eyebrows for me. If Alonso wins it, good on him. If Hamilton is closer then Alonso at the end, then it's because of the car. But Hamilton has to prove that his nerves don't show up in the last few races, and he still being within striking distance for a championship

I think that's a bit unfair and slightly what I was arguing against with my post. Hamilton has driven impeccably yet he is 42 points behind Alonso in a faster car; to my mind such a large gap cannot be explained by the difference between the drivers this season which means the other elements of the 'package' I was talking about must have come together for Alonso. Hamilton's car has been mercurial, Alonso's has been consistent (much like their respective teams' race operations). So if Hamilton comes back at Alonso then it's unfair to say it's just because of the car, because the reason that Alonso is ahead in the first place is because of the car and the Ferrari team as much as it is about his excellent performances.

#191 PassWind

PassWind

• 5,031 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 16:04

Vettel is the only driver I didn't want to be WDC this year. I despise Hamilton, but would have even preferred him to win it.

Maybe Grosjean will run into Vettel at the next race :p.

Only car he hasn't hit yet is the pace car give him time.....

#192 Juggles

Juggles

• 898 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 16:05

Alonso and Vettel certainly deserve it. For Hamilton no one could really argue against either before all the drama started again so just a peg below that if not for any reason other than he didn't really do anything spectacular in my opinion and mostly drove just solid. Focusing on driving solid was actually correct and should have been enough to build a lead in the early part of the season if McLaren hadn't blown it.

a) until this "drama" you're talking about (I assume you mean Twitter) affects his performances on track it is completely irrelevant to how much he deserves the championship.

b) give an example of something spectacular Vettel has done this season? Both drivers have suffered misfortune (Hamilton certainly more so), both have delivered dominating wins and neither have really made mistakes. The difference between them is a couple more blameless DNFs for Hamilton. I wouldn't say either one has delivered a truly spectacular performance.

#193 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 16:11

Nothing spectacular in the sense that in my opinion Alonso and Vettel maximised better the hand they were dealt. For example, they didn't have a race where they put a dominant car on pole then manage to go backwards in the race like Hamilton in Australia.

Hamilton overall drove solid I think but I just don't think it was anything special from him or his best. That's actually a compliment, especially considering Hamilton fans always argue he is so special and I disagree:)

Edited by EvanRainer, 08 October 2012 - 16:12.

#194 inca_roads

inca_roads

• 1,447 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 16:47

Nothing spectacular in the sense that in my opinion Alonso and Vettel maximised better the hand they were dealt. For example, they didn't have a race where they put a dominant car on pole then manage to go backwards in the race like Hamilton in Australia.

Hamilton overall drove solid I think but I just don't think it was anything special from him or his best. That's actually a compliment, especially considering Hamilton fans always argue he is so special and I disagree:)

Canada was a pretty special performance. Lapped his team-mate en route to victory.

#195 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 16:51

Or when Lewis drove from 24th in spain to finish 8th ahead of his team mate.

Or when he held off both Grosjean and Raikkonen when their cars were faster in Hungary.

#196 mnmracer

mnmracer

• 1,972 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 17:11

Or when Lewis drove from 24th in spain to finish 8th ahead of his team mate.

Nice job in the fastest car, but didn't Vettel do 18 (first lap) to 5th in an underperforming car in China?
Did he not do 17 to 4 in China 2007 or 19 to 5 in Monaco 2008 in a (then still backfield) Torro Rosso?

Or when he held off both Grosjean and Raikkonen when their cars were faster in Hungary.

What did Vettel do in Monaco '11, Barcelona '11 or Bahrain '12 with a significant speed deficiancy?

#197 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,204 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 17:11

Under normal proceedings it’s realistically a toss between two drivers, but no one is home free by any degree of imagination. We have been witnessing destruction of a lead Alonso had, and misfortune can hit anyone, anytime. In my estimation ChW will be requested to examine a lot of videos in next five races, and there will be no stone unturned…

Already preparing your defence of Vettel in case Alonso still wins.....aren't we, Sakae?

#198 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 17:13

Nice job in the fastest car, but didn't Vettel do 18 (first lap) to 5th in an underperforming car in China?
Did he not do 17 to 4 in China 2007 or 19 to 5 in Monaco 2008 in a (then still backfield) Torro Rosso?

What did Vettel do in Monaco '11, Barcelona '11 or Bahrain '12 with a significant speed deficiancy?

Talking about this season.

Vettel managed to finish behind his team mate in China.

#199 CF22

CF22

• 388 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 17:52

After the 2006 Monza race Alonso had 108 points, Schumacher had 106 with three races to go. Michael had won 4 of the last six races including Monza, Alonso had not won since the Montreal race. Schumacher went on to win the Chinese Grand Prix and the standings were tied at 116 points with two races to go, the Ferrari 248 being the fastest car now over race pace. In Japan the 248 had an engine failure at the lead handing Alonso the win and a 10 point lead over Michael with just one race to go where Michael had to win and Alonso had to retire or not score a point. We all know what happened there.

The ending to this season somewhat reminds me of 2006, Alonso can still be the 3X WDC.

Advertisement

#200 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,234 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 17:58

After the 2006 Monza race Alonso had 108 points, Schumacher had 106 with three races to go. Michael had won 4 of the last six races including Monza, Alonso had not won since the Montreal race. Schumacher went on to win the Chinese Grand Prix and the standings were tied at 116 points with two races to go, the Ferrari 248 being the fastest car now over race pace. In Japan the 248 had an engine failure at the lead handing Alonso the win and a 10 point lead over Michael with just one race to go where Michael had to win and Alonso had to retire or not score a point. We all know what happened there.

The ending to this season somewhat reminds me of 2006, Alonso can still be the 3X WDC.

but that year, Renault F1 and Ferrari's car were comparable , this year, ferrari is nowhere near to the ominous pace shown by RBR, yes massa took 2nd, but he was 20.6 second slower. i too would love to see Alonso win, he deserves it, but so too Vettel