Photo

5 races to go. Vettel 3x WDC?

• Please log in to reply
303 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win the 2012 WDC? (445 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win the 2012 WDC?

1. Alonso (75 votes [16.89%])

Percentage of vote: 16.89%

2. Vettel (307 votes [69.14%])

Percentage of vote: 69.14%

3. Hamilton (32 votes [7.21%])

Percentage of vote: 7.21%

4. Raikkonen (22 votes [4.95%])

Percentage of vote: 4.95%

5. Webber (5 votes [1.13%])

Percentage of vote: 1.13%

6. Button (3 votes [0.68%])

Percentage of vote: 0.68%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#301 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 9,535 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 23:32

While a DNF from Vettel can't be discounted, he's got to be the favourite now. Ferrari would have to really pull some performance out of the bag soon for Alonso to hold him off when both are finishing races.

I don't think the RB will be the front running car at all remaining races.

Advertisement

#302 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,479 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:22

I don't think the RB will be the front running car at all remaining races.

In fairness that was a spur of the moment post.

I still think Vettel is the favourite but it'll be a good fight. I do expect the Red Bull to be faster than the Ferrari at most races. I also expect McLaren to fluctuate between faster and slower than both and anything in between. It's going to be very interesting.

Reliability can still play into Alonso's hands. If there's one thing I really don't expect to see is a red car breaking down.

#303 garoidb

garoidb

• 4,083 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:37

Which is why I rate Piquet so high.
First WDC - ground effect cars
Second WDC - no groud effect, turbo engines
Third WDC - no ground effect and turbos, first WDC for Honda, start of an era.

Its not liked he lucked into a mostly stable scenario with a dominant team.

Yes. 1980 and 1981 were prior to refuelling or planned pitstops generally, as well as being the ground effect and normally aspirated era. He won a race in a ground effect turbo in 1982, and then in flat bottomed turbos in 1983 (incorporating planned fuel and tyre stops). He then won races from 1984 to 1987 in the fuel restricted part of the turbo era, including (I believe) Pirelli's first win, having also won on Goodyears and Michelins at Brabham. He also won races, and placed third in the 1990 WDC, in yet another era; normally aspirated with no ground effect (the last of which was back on Pirellis).

I believe that to earn success across all those situations cannot be ascribed to pure luck. Prost and Senna also won races and WDCs in turbo and normally aspirated cars, and Prost won GPs in ground effect cars, but they are usually credited as being worthy multipe WDCs while Piquet is often considered more lucky.

By comparison, Vettel has won with Ferrari and Renault engines, Bridgestone and Pirelli tyres and in the pre- and post- KERS and DRS eras. This is also not just luck. Perhaps he will also win one with a turbo too!

#304 SunnyENTP

SunnyENTP

• 717 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:43

Vettel would break Schumachers 7 XWDC no one believes it but he is going to be Federer of F1 and smash that record and many more to come. I can see great things ahead for him. If he had a little bit more experience he would have won 2009 too.