Photo

Pat Symonds: what will he do?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 17:39

Symonds´ ban ends this year, and 2013 he can return to the paddock. He seems to have helped out (as a consultant) Marussia reasonably well.
Does anyone have an insight into whether he´ll make a comeback at one of the bigger teams?

Is he coming back to Enstone? Does anyone know how Enstone folks look at him? with respect and admiration or has he become a persona non grata?

Please discuss!

--
AND PLEASE LET´S AVOID THE SINGAPORE SCANDAL (ALONSO, PIQUET ETC)

Advertisement

#2 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,184 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 17:43

They forgave several before him, what's so special about this guy? Briatore seems friend with Ecclestone, the other guy is at Williams, life goes on. Question is, how he can contribute - anywhere? Maybe Ross will hire him. :D

#3 MaxisOne

MaxisOne

• 1,162 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 17:58

They forgave several before him, what's so special about this guy? Briatore seems friend with Ecclestone, the other guy is at Williams, life goes on. Question is, how he can contribute - anywhere? Maybe Ross will hire him. :D

Nope .. I hope Ross doesn't... and even he wanted to i think that will be a fly in the Mercedes ethics ointment which the BOD probably will have a problem with.

I think he will stay at Marussia. Let him start at the bottom and work his way (and the team) back up.

#4 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,184 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 18:03

Nope .. I hope Ross doesn't... and even he wanted to i think that will be a fly in the Mercedes ethics ointment which the BOD probably will have a problem with.

I think he will stay at Marussia. Let him start at the bottom and work his way (and the team) back up.

Right; I was actually kiding, because Mercedes seems to be top heavy as they are right now (IMO).

#5 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,227 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 18:59

I would like to see that too (don't mind which of the new teams, but since he is already associated with Marussia ...). That is probably where he can have most impact and where there will be least aspersions cast.

#6 g1n

g1n

• 867 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 20:07

probably cook up some new ways to cheat in this sport.

#7 britishtrident

britishtrident

• 1,954 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 21:08

By every account I have heard it wasn't Symmonds who cooked up the idea, what he did do was pass it on to Flavio. and then said nothing when Flavio took the bait. Like Piquet jnr the one who benefited most from the event Teflonso got off scot free because (not for the first time ) he made a plea bargain deal with Spanky and how much of a role Piquet snr or hadn't in the matter was never fully explored.

Alonso should have at least been stripped of points, Piquet jnr should have got either a long ban or his super licence pulled for life and Piquet snr's role in the affair ? should have beenn fully and fairly explored.

Edited by britishtrident, 07 October 2012 - 21:15.

#8 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,227 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 21:15

By every account I have heard it wasn't Symmonds who cooked up the idea, what he did do was pass it on to Flavio. and then said nothing when Flavio took the bait. Like Piquet jnr the one who benefited most from the event Teflonso got off scot free because (not for the first time ) he made a plea bargain deal with Spanky and how much of a role Piquet snr or hadn't in the matter was never fully explored.

Alonso should have at least been stripped of points, Piquet jnr should have got either a long ban or his super licence pulled for life and Piquet snr's role in the affair should have more fully explored.

Have you any evidence that Piquet Sr had any role at all in the affair? Or Alonso, for that matter.

Piquet Jr did not really get off scot free; he lost the possibility of returning to F1 just as surely as if he had been banned.

#9 OSX

OSX

• 4,063 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 21:32

Well, Mike Coughlan who was the McLaren Chief Designer prior to being sacked for his involvement in the spy scandal in 2007 is back in F1 as the Technical Director of Williams. I would imagine that at least some the top teams might be somewhat reluctant to hire Symonds at the moment but I'm sure most teams in the mid to low end part of the grid would be interested in hiring him.

#10 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 1,315 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:41

In F1 it's only 'cheating' if you get caught - up till then it's 'explotation/interpretation of the rules' :)

#11 g1n

g1n

• 867 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:37

In F1 it's only 'cheating' if you get caught - up till then it's 'explotation/interpretation of the rules' :)

well he did get caught, also note, he was not cheating with the technical reg's, they had the guy deliberately crash in order to manipulate the race results.

#12 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 1,495 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:40

He hires Stepney and they together build a dominant MR2 from stolen RB9 papersheets

#13 pdac

pdac

• 579 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:46

He hires Stepney and they together build a dominant MR2 from stolen RB9 papersheets

Sounds like a plan to me