Photo

Michihiko Aika (Aika san)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jaybee49

jaybee49

• 315 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:27

Jim Redman advised us that the chief engineer and Honda technician and boffin for Honda: Michihiko Aika passes away on the 3rd. of October. We all know whom he was and what he contributed to the whole racing scene of the 60's, 70's and 80's. Because of him racing is where its at and he was also a good friend to many and as Tommy Robb suggests Honda would not be here today if it was not for him..

Edited by jaybee49, 08 October 2012 - 05:46.

Advertisement

#2 rd500

rd500

• 474 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 14:08

sad news.

heres a tale about him and 'himself' from mr tuxworth.

"I remember the Head of Honda Motorsports Michihiko Aika came to the TT. We were running RC30s with flatslide carburettors. They cost 20,000 pounds per set which at that time was a fortune and they arrived from Japan with a memo that simply said "look after these."

"I picked Mr Aika up from the airport and asked him if he'd like to go to the hotel. But he wanted to see Joey at the workshop. Joey had this place at Mannin Tyres near the marina and it was absolutely pouring with rain. When we arrived there was no Joey to be seen but there was his RC30 outside in the pouring rain, heads off the engine with 5mm of water sitting in the bores on top of the pistons. I was absolutely horrified and then we spotted the carburettors. Joey had used a twig to hang them by their cables over the side of the wall, above a stream. I expected Mr Aika to blow his top but he just looked at me and said "It's ok Neil-san, we all know about Joey Dunlop."