* * * * * 2 votes

1994 Penske PC23 Indy Car

• Please log in to reply
539 replies to this topic

#251 Patrick Morgan

Patrick Morgan

• 222 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 14:24

Useless fact... Mr. Kaneda, who was one of the Honda support engineers with us at Tyrrell in 1991, told me he had designed those Lambda sensors, so I guess he knew they were rugged enough for race car use.

Maybe he would be good enough to design an in cylinder pressure sensor that lasts more then 20 minutes in a racing engine! Maybe they exist nowadays, certainly we went though a few of them in '90 and 2000's.

Advertisement

#252 Nigel Beresford

Nigel Beresford

• 737 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 14:34

Not meaning to drag this any further off thread, but he left Honda at the end of that season and joined John Judd. Sadly, while looking him up just now I found that he passed away suddenly three years ago.

Your point about Honda using road car stuff is well put. I remember the first V10 we got at Tyrrells - it was held together with screws and bolts that looked like they'd come off a CB750! Quite a contrast to the exquisite Ilmors that followed them.

Edited by Nigel Beresford, 29 May 2013 - 14:38.

#253 Patrick Morgan

Patrick Morgan

• 222 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 19:19

Not meaning to drag this any further off thread, but he left Honda at the end of that season and joined John Judd. Sadly, while looking him up just now I found that he passed away suddenly three years ago.

Your point about Honda using road car stuff is well put. I remember the first V10 we got at Tyrrells - it was held together with screws and bolts that looked like they'd come off a CB750! Quite a contrast to the exquisite Ilmors that followed them.

That would be Hero Kaneda then? I didn't have the pleasure of meeting him but he was very well respected at Judd's and in Japan as I understand it.

#254 Nigel Beresford

Nigel Beresford

• 737 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 20:40

That would be Hero Kaneda then? I didn't have the pleasure of meeting him but he was very well respected at Judd's and in Japan as I understand it.

Yes, it was Hiro. A really nice guy - super polite and a pleasure to have known. Pretty committed to cut short what was surely a very successful career with Honda and bring his family over to live in England, simply because he wanted to work in European racing.

#255 Patrick Morgan

Patrick Morgan

• 222 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 13:08

These turned up late yesterday -

Posted Image
Penske PC-23 Suspension by dtperformanceltd, on Flickr

Posted Image
Penske PC-23 Wishbones by dtperformanceltd, on Flickr

The are re-productions but were made by Ady Matthews at Historic Motorsport Fabrications so, as Ady made the originals, they are as close as you could get. There are still some more to come but what we have so far is spectacular... which means we're under pressure to make the rest of it look as good.

#256 Patrick Morgan

Patrick Morgan

• 222 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 15:38

The rear anti roll bar system is now complete. The bar itself is housed between the rear wing pillar mounts and pivots on two bearings. The blades can be rotated via a lever in the cockpit so that the driver can change the roll stiffness between corners. Various size blades and diameter bars can be fitted by the team between sessions.

Posted Image
Rear Wing Mount by dtperformanceltd, on Flickr

Posted Image
ARB Blade by dtperformanceltd, on Flickr

Posted Image
Penske Rear Anti Roll Bar by dtperformanceltd, on Flickr

The dampers are now back from servicing. There was nothing wrong with them but worth checking them over anyway to be sure they are in good shape from the outset. We've also just finished the PC-23 demon tweak, the system that gave it such good drive off corners. Photos of that at a later date....

Posted Image
PC-23 Dampers Now Serviced by dtperformanceltd, on Flickr

Posted Image
Penske Dampers by dtperformanceltd, on Flickr

Posted Image
Penske PC-23 Front Damper by dtperformanceltd, on Flickr

Posted Image
Penske PC23 Rear Damper by dtperformanceltd, on Flickr

Edited by Patrick Morgan, 11 June 2013 - 15:42.

#257 Patrick Morgan

Patrick Morgan

• 222 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:04

The PC23 has a sequential gearbox operated by a barrel much like a motorcycle. The barrel is rotated by the indexing mechanism operated by the gear linkage. James has just finished putting this together.

Posted Image
Penske PC23 Indexing Mechanism by dtperformanceltd, on Flickr

#258 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,504 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 13:08

The dampers are now back from servicing. There was nothing wrong with them but worth checking them over anyway to be sure they are in good shape from the outset. We've also just finished the PC-23 demon tweak, the system that gave it such good drive off corners. Photos of that at a later date....

Eh? That definitely has a few of us forward in our chairs...

#259 desmo

desmo
  • Tech Forum Host

• 13,072 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 13:30

Indeed.

Advertisement

#260 Patrick Morgan

Patrick Morgan

• 222 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 15:23

Eh? That definitely has a few of us forward in our chairs...

Hoped it might!

#261 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,504 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 16:01

Much speculation at the time... traction control, magic tires, active something-or-others....

#262 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,524 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 19:05

Given it's not yet the mid 90s maybe they were slightly ahead on some of the more fancy suspension geometries.

#263 desmo

desmo
  • Tech Forum Host

• 13,072 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 21:26

Diff legerdemain? How tightly controlled were they?

#264 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,504 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 13:59

Still PATIENTLY waiting to hear more about the super setup secrets of the PC23. Oh well. It's been 19 years, what's a few more weeks?

It was a magical time in Indy cars: 9th throttles, 3rd springs, 5th wheels, etc. Reminds one of a witticism of about that time, when it was announced that Cheever was going to Foyt. Quote: "Just what AJ needs, a second asshole."

Meanwhile...

For your convenience, all the Tony Matthews cutaway stories featured at Mac's Motor City Garage.com to date, as a collection:

Tony Matthews at Mac's Motor City Garage.com

And links to all the features individually, including the PC23:

Maserati 250F

Williams FW07

Honda Accord BTCC

Ilmor Chevrolet 265A Indy engine

Williams FW14

Auburn 851 Speedster

Buick Ilmor Indy V8 Never-Was

1994 Penske PC23

Chevy Ilmor 265B Indy engine

Penske 8760 Series damper

Lotus 95T Renault

Penske PC9 Cosworth Indy Car

BRM V16

Tom's Toyota Supra Touring Car Racer

Vermont American March 83C

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Magoo, 21 July 2013 - 14:01.

#265 Patrick Morgan

Patrick Morgan

• 222 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:59

[quote name='Magoo' date='Jul 21 2013, 14:59' post='6362851']
Still PATIENTLY waiting to hear more about the super setup secrets of the PC23. Oh well. It's been 19 years, what's a few more weeks?

Will post these once we can mock them up on the car. We are some way from that at present and I've got some stuff to sort out post Goodwood....

Edited by Patrick Morgan, 22 July 2013 - 08:57.

#266 Patrick Morgan

Patrick Morgan

• 222 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:56

Some good progress made on the PC-23 of late. The bodywork is finally striped with over 20Kgs of paint removed. The body fit is not as horrendous as it might have been... certainly it's better than it was.

Posted Image
2013-08-06 17.19.41 by dtperformanceltd, on Flickr

Posted Image
RHS Carbon by dtperformanceltd, on Flickr

Posted Image
Bodywork Stripped by dtperformanceltd, on Flickr

Posted Image
Engine Cover Fit RHS by dtperformanceltd, on Flickr

Ady Matthews has now finished producing the heat shielding which looks terrific. As Indycars have a full underwing the section between the floor and the top of the sidepod is only just tall enough for the exhausts to transit though hence the need for the shielding.

Cold air is fed into the header bag from a small NACA duct in the side of the floor and back out through a vent above the inlet.

Posted Image
LHS Hear Bag Lid by dtperformanceltd, on Flickr

Posted Image
LHS Collector Heat Sheild by dtperformanceltd, on Flickr

Posted Image
Damper Mockup For Cover Fit by dtperformanceltd, on Flickr

Posted Image
Heat Shielding Fron the Rear by dtperformanceltd, on Flickr

Posted Image
Complete LHS by dtperformanceltd, on Flickr

Posted Image
LHS Header Bag Final Fit by dtperformanceltd, on Flickr

#267 Patrick Morgan

Patrick Morgan

• 222 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:11

Finally got it mocked up.... at the rear anyway. It all lives under this little panel.

Posted Image
PC-23 Rear Panel by dtperformanceltd, on Flickr

Posted Image
PC-23 Rear Panel Side by dtperformanceltd, on Flickr

#268 MattPete

MattPete

• 1,455 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:02

What are those cams near the swaybar pushrods? On second thought, they look like spherical rod end bearings and connect to something hidden by the super secret rear panel.  A third spring or damper?

#269 Patrick Morgan

Patrick Morgan

• 222 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:23

I guess it would be cruel to string this out any further! The system was celled Mono-bump. Nigel can elaborate but he ran it at Tyrell a year to two prior to the PC-23. It's basically a 3rd spring the acts in heave only. There is one at the front as well but you'll have to wait a few weeks for a photo of that. It's slightly different in design but works the same. 

9569817678_d51b6d3a9c_b.jpg

9569820652_d269938dfa_b.jpg

3rd springs have come gone, come again, been packaged differently but they were cutting edge at the time. 

Edited by Patrick Morgan, 22 August 2013 - 10:24.

#270 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,504 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:35

Thanks, what a great thread! 

#271 gruntguru

gruntguru

• 5,361 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 23:52

Yep - lovin it! Great pics too, thanks Patrick.

#272 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,504 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:35

Excuse me if I am talking out of turn or completely wrong about this. but from what I can see here. the attention to detail and workmanship in this restoration represent an investment of time and money that goes far beyond what an old champ car like this could ever bring on the collector car market. Please don't get me wrong, not knocking the effort or investment in any way, I am saluting it. Beautiful job. thanks for sharing here.  

#273 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,524 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:54

Agreed. You almost need to race it now.

#274 Greg Locock

Greg Locock

• 4,535 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:10

Goodwood or the Geelong Speed Trials

#275 Patrick Morgan

Patrick Morgan

• 222 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 20:19

Excuse me if I am talking out of turn or completely wrong about this. but from what I can see here. the attention to detail and workmanship in this restoration represent an investment of time and money that goes far beyond what an old champ car like this could ever bring on the collector car market. Please don't get me wrong, not knocking the effort or investment in any way, I am saluting it. Beautiful job. thanks for sharing here.  

You know, I don't see it like that. What I see when I look at that car is all the faces of the people I knew, and those that I don't but would like to, who put their hearts and souls into the thing. It sounds a bit whimsical but every time you pick up a part you think about the guy that designed it, the guy that figured out how to make it, the tool paths etc. and the guy that made it. The girls that made the looms, the development engineers, the aero guys and the model makers. The tire guys, the stores mangers, the parts planners, the fabricators and the heat treaters. 

There are so many unsung heroes in our industry, men, women and in the case of the PC-23 265E, their families that devoted so much under difficult circumstances. That's true of not just Penske but Newman Hass, Gannassi, Green, Pac-West, Arcerio, Bettenhausen, Forsythe and so many others. Racings an addiction I guess. Hold a piston and you can see the tool paths, how the guy that designed it and the guy that made it interacted. The joy of motorsport is getting a team that works and it doesn't happen very often, when it does its like magic. 

So an old champ car, yes. But it's worth more than the sum of it's parts and more than any auction house value. That's how I see it and some might think that's foolish but I just see this field full of racing folk who contributed who live quietly with the satisfaction of just having been a part of it.

#276 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 1,604 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:10

So an old champ car, yes. But it's worth more than the sum of it's parts and more than any auction house value. That's how I see it and some might think that's foolish but I just see this field full of racing folk who contributed who live quietly with the satisfaction of just having been a part of it.

It's not foolish to me.

#277 Patrick Morgan

Patrick Morgan

• 222 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:58

Getting back on subject I managed to find an original spec boost regulator and control solenoid on ebay of all places. These parts were bought in so were commercially available but still, I was pleased to find them 20 years on. The regulator came from Canada....

9682595403_18f7837ed1_b.jpg

The regulator sits behing the adjuster knob below the dash on the right hand side of the cockpit while the control solenoid lives above the drivers left knee. The two are connected via a cut off that can isolate the system to work purely mechanically if the electronics go down. I had one of these cut off blocks for a while but hadn't figured out what it was until a few days ago.

9685866312_9d618c80a3_b.jpg

I think Tony Matthews will have photos of the original installation. 

#278 Patrick Morgan

Patrick Morgan

• 222 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:57

A few more parts have come back in - the header tank and driveline parts. 

9948821276_1a206c6b7f_b.jpg

9948841784_e6fa9d5bcc_b.jpg

Considering what dire shape the CV joints and stub axels were in they have come out rather well. I think we now have everything to build the uprights.

#279 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 1,604 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 14:24

Works of art...definitely works of art.

Advertisement

#280 funformula

funformula

• 215 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:20

Works of art...definitely works of art.

Absolutly true!!!!!

Thats why I always have a smile on my face when going into my garage (although my toy is currently in a sorry state and far from being as perfect as Patrick Morgans Penske)

#281 Patrick Morgan

Patrick Morgan

• 222 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 13:58

Absolutly true!!!!!

Thats why I always have a smile on my face when going into my garage (although my toy is currently in a sorry state and far from being as perfect as Patrick Morgans Penske)

Trust me, the PC-23 was in a very sorry state when it turned up. It looked as if it had sat with about 2" of water in it for some time as there were tide marks on in the cockpit, particularly the front bulkhead which is magnesium. The carbon had a log of glass fibre repairs that we are in the midst of undoing at the moment. That's all before you consider the amount of missing parts. So keep at it! 

#282 funformula

funformula

• 215 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 15:41

Trust me, the PC-23 was in a very sorry state when it turned up. It looked as if it had sat with about 2" of water in it for some time as there were tide marks on in the cockpit, particularly the front bulkhead which is magnesium. The carbon had a log of glass fibre repairs that we are in the midst of undoing at the moment. That's all before you consider the amount of missing parts. So keep at it! 

Sometimes it might be better not to know where these cars were stored. Mine must have been the public restroom for Mr. and Mrs. Rat  because I found their droppings in every corner of the car.

So yours might been their swimming pool  ;)

#283 RDV

RDV

• 6,734 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:34

Nigel Beresford- There's a trap here with those unmarked rockers - if you referred on the setup sheet to the "stiff" or the "soft" hole on the rocker, it was quids in that at some point in the year you'd find the mechanics had put the link in the wrong hole.

...a point brought up in the survival rules one was issued at Lotus, see bolded point (...by the way most of these rules are still very valid, changing some of the numbers..)=

Lotus survival rules

SURVIVAL RULES (Yours and the Drivers)            ISSUE 2 –

Refer also to CDC Engineering Policy documents

1.     The keywords are elegant simplicity; each part doing three jobs at least.

2.     The objective is to win the race. Remember, the car has to finish and a tired, blistered driver won’t help.

3.     Car must be designed so that a pre-race check can be carried out completely by one man in six hours. Rectification or readjustment is extra.

4.     Pre-race check sheet is supplied to the operator. With each new type of sheet, operators will add to, but may not delete from this. Designer starts the sheet, build and development will add to it and engineering director signs it into law.

5.     [Anti]roll bar, camber, wing, brake balance bar changes must be possible in five man minutes AND repeatable. These are no good if they cannot be identified, and repeated. Avoid infinite variation screwed adjustment.

6.     Murphy is a racing mechanic and works for Team Lotus. If it can be assembled the wrong way round he will.

7.     Never design or cause to be made something that cannot be inspected. Again never design something that cannot be seen to be safe or that needs special equipment to prove it.

8.     All spherical bearings need protective covers.

9.     You can’t change people, so make the car easy to adjust and maintain by easy access.

10. A grease seal over a universal near a brake disc is better than none at all. It will fail before it gets renewed, so provide a flinger disc to direct the grease clear of the brake.

11. Stress suspension for 3g bump on a 2g corner.

12. If the driver believes the car is strong enough it’s worth more than one second per lap. Avoid birdcage structures. All tubular structures to be 3-inch circumference. Adjust the gauge for load.

13. Never use banjos on the pressure side of the fuel system.

14. Never use ‘O’ rings to seal negative pressure.

15. All material, including human skin, is notch sensitive – some more than others – so use appropriate radii.

16. Remember, all engineering materials are rubber like.  They deflect to some degree under the slightest load and will expand to some degree in the presence of even a lighted match. Everything resonates, even brake pipes.

17. All flexible fuel and oil lines to have screwed ends and armoured flexibles.

18. Drivers feel corners through the seat of their pants, their heels, and above all under their armpits. Ensure seat back is 100% rigid and fits.

19. Gearchange linkages wear, bend and stretch. Provide 100% over-travel clearances in all directions.

20. Provide throttle pedal stop at the pedal and the return spring at the throttle slides; preferably in compression so it still works when broken.

21. Remember, a frantic driver can put 250lbs [113kg] on a pedal or a gearlever.

22. Do not try to exceed 20ft [6.1m] per second in a water pipe, you won’t neither can you exceed 12ft [3.7] per second for 30/30 oil.

23. 90-degree welded bends, ie 45-degree scarf joints, reduce flow by 5% even if you remove internal nuggets. Double cut-and-shut, ie 2 x 22.5-degrees, costs 2%; 4-d radius just ½%.

24. Always specify the size of ball you must be able to roll down a pipe system to ensure adequate flow.

25. Providing oil and fuel tank dipsticks may prevent a lost race through inaccurate consumption checks.

26. Wheel deflections, camber change, and toe-steer required during the no-spring bump test must be specified on suspension data sheets by designer, and countersigned by him when he has seen the test, and a photocopy put into the car’s log book.

27. Car acceptance test includes proving that the fuel system draws down to one pint from 5 gallons whilst running at least at 90% of the test circuit record time.

28. Don’t invent new oil tanks, use the ones proved to work. Remember, the fluid that comes out of the oil coolers may look like oil, but it contains 25% by volume of air at least.

29. Air leaks on the suction side of the oil pump destroy one engine per race. Keep Duckworth poor.

30. Brakes recuperate better with a head of fluid above the master cylinder. Low mount the cylinder with a high, separate reservoir, with a big enough pipe. And don’t forget the scent spray. Always pressure bleed.

31. Air in motion is the best heat insulator.

32. If the airbox is working, there is a load of 150lbs inside it and it will bulge or blow off if unsecurely fastened. If unsecurely fastened and it doesn’t blow off, it doesn’t work.

33. You cannot change the basic laws of nature; no one has yet. Let Newton, Charles, Boyle, Hooke and Bernoulli rest in peace.

34. Lightening holes should be the last resort of the designer. The most effective way of weight saving is not to start with it.

35. Measured over the wheelbase, one axle restrained and lifting one corner of the opposite axle, torsional stiffness of the complete structure must exceed 2500 foot lbs [3456 Nm] per degree. The variation in stiffness per foot of wheelbase must not exceed +/- 10% or 15% between two adjacent sections otherwise fatigue failures are likely.

36. Keep suction lines, as short and straight and simple as possible; no rubber elbows at pump inlets.

37. If there is no other way to join two components together than with bolts, remember they work by stretching between .003” and .005” [0.076mm and 0.13mm] per inch length. Make sure they can do, even if you have to provide a waisted section to keep the local stretching near the elastic limit of the material. 3% nickel is best.

38. Although titanium is 70% the weight and 1000% the cost of high grade steel, it is 50% more resilient and 1000% more gall sensitive. Use it with care, after you have assessed maraging steel which strength for strength is also 70% of the weight of high grade steel, 200% the price and just as rigid.

39. Corner weight tolerances +/- 2%. Enter in the car’s log book.

40. The deflection of the lowest part of the wheel rim, relative to the tub centre line should not exceed static corner weight/2000 inches [CW/50.8m] when 1g cornering load is applied. Neither should the camber change by more than 20 minutes of a degree during this test.

41. All systems must be flow tested before the car is started. Flows required must be marked on system’s drawings. A bucket and stop watch is quick and accurate. Eg fuel system must flow 250 pints hour with 100psi pressure.

42. Keep a pair of every driver’s shoes, or sole patterns, suitably labeled in DO [the design office].

43. Remember cars will run with transducers on suspension travel, throttle slides, strain gauges on wishbones and wing mountings, and “black boxes with invertors”. Bear in mind without compromising design.

44. Always weigh the car before and after paint, including sign writing. Weight increase not to exceed 0.5%.

45. Racing cars get out of line. Always provide and prove 30 degrees of lock so drivers can get them back. Saves one shunt per year.

46. Always measure spring frequencies against specification after no-spring bump tests. Designer enters results in log book.

47. All log book entries signed legibly and dated.

48. Operations will not accept, neither will we offer them a car without a log book, which will show no-spring bump tests, toe curves, corner weights, flow tests, tilt rig test results, and contain data sheets. Losing the log book is a capital offence.

ACBC: 29:1:70:

#284 desmo

desmo
  • Tech Forum Host

• 13,072 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 14:55

What a wonderful list!

#285 Canuck

Canuck

• 1,663 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 16:03

Printed.

#286 Patrick Morgan

Patrick Morgan

• 222 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 18:38

That's made my evening! The numbers have changed but most of it is spot on. The Murphy bit particularly. My Dad had Murphy's laws of Engineering framed in our downstairs loo to make sure they got read. 

I'm sure a comedy version on engines is not too far away... we could start with "always make sure the C of G is lower than the track...."

Would be kind of fun to do. 

Edited by Patrick Morgan, 03 October 2013 - 09:40.

#287 RDV

RDV

• 6,734 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 20:41

...well there is a debrief version=

cr9p.png

#288 Greg Locock

Greg Locock

• 4,535 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 21:46

Ha, 2 great posts. I like number 19

#289 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,504 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 00:26

Lotus Survival Rules is a classic, never tire of it. Thanks, RDV.   

Maybe you could do a column on it....? Just throwing it out there in case you ever start needing ideas. 

#290 Patrick Morgan

Patrick Morgan

• 222 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 16:25

We finally got the tub and the bodywork back from the carbon shop. James and the carbon guys have spent about 3 months getting everything properly repaired and fitted. It has been a phenomenal effort. The result is good clean original bits so well worth all the hair pulling and agro. A few before and after photos....

First a picture of the floor which kind of shows the full horror of the condition of the carbon. 

11173612764_4036743fd3_b.jpg

The sidepod inlet duct serfaces were really stained and had been hacked about a lot....

11173476855_810003b90c_b.jpg

11173466025_4f6693d7d7_b.jpg

And after....

11173713006_6b8aebf2e1_b.jpg

The underside was also pretty dreadful and the electronics cooling "hover" snorkels had been snapped off....

11173555214_5981e012b3_b.jpg

But it looks good now.

11173658555_9b64a5f2e8_b.jpg

Missing vortex generators have been re-constructed. 

11173767654_4a6b40f838_b.jpg

Then the inside of the engine and sidepod covers have been extensively reworked with new heat-sheilding.

11173735256_5e9318b51f_b.jpg

11173721506_697fe8459d_b.jpg

11173754154_989568109e_b.jpg

11173905483_174c2d8c50_b.jpg

So lastly the chassis as it sits now ready to go for paint....

Edited by Patrick Morgan, 02 December 2013 - 16:34.

#291 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 17:24

Almost seems a shame to cover all that beautiful carbon with paint, but then the finished, painted car looks so smart...

#292 Patrick Morgan

Patrick Morgan

• 222 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:47

Almost seems a shame to cover all that beautiful carbon with paint, but then the finished, painted car looks so smart...

Well a good portion of the work has gone into the stuff you do see if only fleetingly. The rad ducts are very visible with the sidepod covers off. They had some glass fibre tubes bonded onto to them so they have come off and the whole lot re-skinned. The left hand sidepod had been crushed and partly built up in filler but that has been pulled into shape again and the shut lines are no an even 1mm not 1mm up to 12mm! 

I know you don't see the inside of the engine cover very often but I fear taking it off and someone saying "Well it looked like a nice car but did you see that cover - a bit rough isn't it.... what's the other parts you can't see like??". 

It will look great in paint. 

#293 mariner

mariner

• 1,381 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 18:04

The PC-23 is one SERIOUSLY tight design package! It looks like something Colin Chapman would have designed!

Speaking of Chapman - Im assuming the checklist above was his work. If so it tells a very different story from the "reckless "and " unrealistic"  designer image often portrayed of him.

Maybe in his rush to win he overlooked some of those rules but they are seem based on very real understanding of running a racing car in the feild..

#294 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 791 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 21:30

The PC-23 is one SERIOUSLY tight design package! It looks like something Colin Chapman would have designed!

Speaking of Chapman - Im assuming the checklist above was his work. If so it tells a very different story from the "reckless "and " unrealistic"  designer image often portrayed of him.

Maybe in his rush to win he overlooked some of those rules but they are seem based on very real understanding of running a racing car in the feild..

It has his initials at the bottom, but my guess is that this was the result of contributions from others as well as ACBC himself over the years.  Reads to me like it had multiple audiences.

BTW ...

30. Brakes recuperate better with a head of fluid above the master cylinder. Low mount the cylinder with a high, separate reservoir, with a big enough pipe. And don’t forget the scent spray. Always pressure bleed.

scent spray?  Is this for the driver's armpits?

#295 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,728 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:12

scent spray?  Is this for the driver's armpits?

The scent spray is for removing the paint off the bulkhead.

#296 Patrick Morgan

Patrick Morgan

• 222 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 17:50

The paintwork is finally getting started on..... It's been a long time coming. 

11857768746_81c4560306_b.jpg

11857401494_27db571a67_b.jpg

11857308453_7bb47f8402_b.jpg

11857036995_63460604a3_b.jpg

11857477504_dd8799d9cd_b.jpg

A tiny amount of filler is needed just to smooth out the various parts of the tub. Masking and primer next...

#297 desmo

desmo
  • Tech Forum Host

• 13,072 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 22:38

Just an amazing process to behold, thanks for sharing it as it goes Patrick.  :up:

#298 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 1,604 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 23:52

Just an amazing process to behold, thanks for sharing it as it goes Patrick.  :up:

+1

#299 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,477 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 22:39

I recall having to braze a "Pigs tail" curled from a length of brake pipe, over the vent hole in the screw on cover of the brake master cylinder in order to stop the fluid migrating out. I wonder if this is the scent spray?

Advertisement

#300 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,728 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:29

Possibly. The scent spray is airflow over the vent of the master cylinder sucking the brake fluid out of the master cylinder leaving the car with no brakes. (and bubbling paint on the bulkhead.)