Jenson Button and Mclaren 2013 onwards

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
329 replies to this topic

#151 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 4,838 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 20:14

:up: Nice one for the help.

But his tyre warmer issues are part of who he is, and he has suffered more than once with it, that only helps my point.

Next year the field will be just as tight, maybe even tighter. Qualifying will be even more important, something which is not his forte. Add to this his repeated issues with getting a car to his liking, plus his struggles thereafter with an unbalanced car, and I don't think he is a good enough driver to lead a top 3 team to a WDC.

I believe the McLaren will need to have a considerable pace advantage for him to win; give him an advantage like in Spa and he will do fine, but if the car is only slightly faster than the rest (ala the last 4/5 bar Japan), then he will only be podium material. Vettel and Alonso will get more out of the car, as will Hamilton.

All his set-up issues tend to come from tyre warming, which they seem to have cracked with the current narrow-window tyres. Next year they'll have tyres with a wider range and a car that's an evolution of this years. Next year should be much easier for him in terms of handling than this. Of course 2014 may be a different story...

Advertisement

#152 thesham01

thesham01

• 1,196 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 20:30

From the European GP to the Abu Dhabi GP (last 7 races) RB accumulated 33 points, JB 25 points including 1 DNF. From the Australian GP to the Hungarian GP (first 10 races) RB accumulated 44 points including 1 DNF, JB 70.

Other stats (for the entire season):
JB
Poles: 4
Wins: 6
DNF: 1
Positions gained: 30
Positions lost: 5
Podiums: 9 (including wins)

RB
Poles: 1
Wins: 2
DNF: 1
Positions gained: 17
Positions lost: 16
Podiums: 6 (including wins)

I was cutting the first 7 races out because, while I accept he did excellent, he had all the advantages.

Take them away, and let equality hit, he was pretty much equal to his team-mate. Losing out in terms of wins and slightly on points.

I suppose what I'm really getting at is that 2009 is not a great example of what he can do; there were some special circumstances surrounding the start of it. I could be horribly wrong, and Button could beat Perez by 100 points next year and grind out a flawless WDC, where Red Bull get the majority of the poles. However, my point is the evidence doesn't say anything like this will happen.

In fact, if Perez is as consistent as he seems, then that could be very bad news for Button. The reason he beat Hamilton was consistency, and if that advantage is taken away, he better hope Perez is dog slow.

#153 g1n

g1n

• 874 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 20:31

what a silly argument, what are you people trying to prove exactly, that RB is a better championship material than JB? I think the one who has his WDC trophy at home is laughing right now.

#154 PARAZAR

PARAZAR

• 1,090 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 20:41

I was cutting the first 7 races out because, while I accept he did excellent, he had all the advantages.

Take them away, and let equality hit, he was pretty much equal to his team-mate. Losing out in terms of wins and slightly on points.

I suppose what I'm really getting at is that 2009 is not a great example of what he can do; there were some special circumstances surrounding the start of it. I could be horribly wrong, and Button could beat Perez by 100 points next year and grind out a flawless WDC, where Red Bull get the majority of the poles. However, my point is the evidence doesn't say anything like this will happen.

In fact, if Perez is as consistent as he seems, then that could be very bad news for Button. The reason he beat Hamilton was consistency, and if that advantage is taken away, he better hope Perez is dog slow.

I don't understand why you're cutting those races out though, because he performed well whilst Rubens struggled? And what do you mean by equality hit? Even in the last seven races JB gained 23 positions (bad qualifying but made up places in 5 races) and only lost 2 positions in the European GP, plus 1 DNF (Grosjean). So I don't see this supposed massive struggle and underperformance in comparison to his team mate. 8 points difference and those where the races that RB got 2 wins.

#155 BillBald

BillBald

• 3,342 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 20:43

Wow! A driver who is defending a substantial lead only scores as many points as his team-mate.

That is a disaster! If he hadn't had that lead, he wouldn't have won the title! :lol:

I suggest you think before you post.

#156 thesham01

thesham01

• 1,196 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 20:48

I don't understand why you're cutting those races out though, because he performed well whilst Rubens struggled? And what do you mean by equality hit? Even in the last seven races JB gained 23 positions (bad qualifying but made up places in 5 races) and only lost 2 positions in the European GP, plus 1 DNF (Grosjean). So I don't see this supposed massive struggle and underperformance in comparison to his team mate. 8 points difference and those where the races that RB got 2 wins.

Because when his team-mate caught up with him set-up wise (brake issues) and when the field caught up with Brawn, he didn't show anything special. Unless you are relying on McLaren doing a Brawn, his second half 2009 form is the form we should be looking at. And his team-mate was better.

You touched on him struggling with qualifying; do you think in this extremely tight (and only going to get tighter) field the WDC will come from a poor qualifier? You can counter with his gained places in 2009, but that is only to get him back to where the car belongs. Add to this Vettel, Alonso and Hamilton are all on top of the tyres and on top of race pace; Button will struggle to do anything next year without a early 2009 advantage.

Edited by thesham01, 11 October 2012 - 20:50.

#157 thesham01

thesham01

• 1,196 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 20:48

Wow! A driver who is defending a substantial lead only scores as many points as his team-mate.

That is a disaster! If he hadn't had that lead, he wouldn't have won the title! :lol:

I suggest you think before you post.

Thats not my point. See above.

Maybe you should think before you post.

Edited by thesham01, 11 October 2012 - 20:49.

#158 thesham01

thesham01

• 1,196 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 20:55

Anyway, I'm going to drop out of this thread; I'm clearly not a Button fan, so I don't wanna ruin this thread being negative. And unusually we are going to see who is right. What a scary thought that is :lol:

#159 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 21:11

Anyway, I'm going to drop out of this thread; I'm clearly not a Button fan, so I don't wanna ruin this thread being negative. And unusually we are going to see who is right. What a scary thought that is :lol:

Dunno, I have a feeling that unluckily the MP4-28 will be the 4th best car next year...

Advertisement

#160 stevesingo

stevesingo

• 121 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 21:19

He won 6 of the first 7 races due to a car advantage. Then when the field had caught up and the real business began, he stumbled over the line with his team-mate being the better driver in the 2nd half. With his team-mate actually looking like the guy who can deliver when the chips are down.

And after those first 7 races, without the car advantage...

In the remaining 10 races he beat his team mate 4 times and retired (due to Groejean) once, whilst ahead of his team mate.

In those 10 races the Brawn car only won twice and was on the podium three times in total. That is not dominant in my book.

In those 10 races the RB5 won 5 races and was on the podium nine times in total. More than double the race wins and three times the podiums including four retirements.

So how does someone so shit still manage to do enough to win the WDC.

Stop sulking that LH has left his best chance to fulfil your wet dream.

#161 BillBald

BillBald

• 3,342 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 21:27

Thats not my point. See above.

Maybe you should think before you post.

Your point is non-existent. It's pretty clear that Jenson drove differently in the 2nd half of 2009, precisely because he was defending his lead, and was probably a little over-anxious not to throw away his chance at the title.

If Jenson hadn't been defending a lead, he might not have backed off when Vettel squeezed him in Valencia, and in fact Vettel might not have squeezed him so aggressively, so the 8 points which Rubens gained on him would have been maybe only 2 or 3 points. In which case Jenson's points in the last 7 races would be the same as Rubens'.

But all this is speculative, the fact is he did what he needed to do and won reasonably comfortably, not in a last corner scramble.

#162 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 22:42

Your point is non-existent. It's pretty clear that Jenson drove differently in the 2nd half of 2009, precisely because he was defending his lead, and was probably a little over-anxious not to throw away his chance at the title.

If Jenson hadn't been defending a lead, he might not have backed off when Vettel squeezed him in Valencia, and in fact Vettel might not have squeezed him so aggressively, so the 8 points which Rubens gained on him would have been maybe only 2 or 3 points. In which case Jenson's points in the last 7 races would be the same as Rubens'.

But all this is speculative, the fact is he did what he needed to do and won reasonably comfortably, not in a last corner scramble.

But Jenson characteristically backs off in those situations, like he did in Japan last year. Vettel, Alonso, Hamilton, don't.

Jenson's form in 09 disappeared suddenly under the pressure of his home race. Hamilton never lost his form. This is part of why McLaren offered Lewis so much to stay, albeit too late.

#163 BillBald

BillBald

• 3,342 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 23:02

But Jenson characteristically backs off in those situations, like he did in Japan last year. Vettel, Alonso, Hamilton, don't.

Jenson's form in 09 disappeared suddenly under the pressure of his home race. Hamilton never lost his form. This is part of why McLaren offered Lewis so much to stay, albeit too late.

In Silverstone 2009 the team made a mistake and called Jenson in on his hot lap, which put him back on the grid.

IIRC he was then stuck behind Trulli, but he drove a very strong stint to jump most of the cars in front of him, even though the car was already suffering from the tyre-warming problem. He actually finished a very short distance behind his team-mate who had no dramas at all on his way to the podium.

So I would say it was the Brawn team, rather than just Jenson, who found it hard to cope with the pressure. I'd like to say it's different at McLaren, maybe it will be next year. If Jenson doesn't succeed in 2013, it's more likely to be down to the team.

#164 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 8,868 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 00:01

My point is delivering for a whole season under pressure of being in the WDC fight. There are question marks over him.

Button delivered in 2009. Sorry if wrapping it up after 10 races is not good enough for you. He was managing a big lead with a dwindling car. Rubens had to roll the dice.
If you want to talk about crumbling, see Hamilton in 2007 and 2011.
Bottom line is whether you compare the last 6 seasons or 3 the fact is Button is just as capable of winning a title as Hamilton.
Can't wait until Hamilton jogs off!

#165 gricey1981

gricey1981

• 1,176 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 00:37

Button delivered in 2009. Sorry if wrapping it up after 10 races is not good enough for you. He was managing a big lead with a dwindling car. Rubens had to roll the dice.
If you want to talk about crumbling, see Hamilton in 2007 and 2011.
Bottom line is whether you compare the last 6 seasons or 3 the fact is Button is just as capable of winning a title as Hamilton.
Can't wait until Hamilton jogs off!

Were not talking about Hamilton though are we?

Button has had a contending car 2 out of last 3 years - hasnt come close - cant see it changing next year.

#166 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:18

In Silverstone 2009 the team made a mistake and called Jenson in on his hot lap, which put him back on the grid.

IIRC he was then stuck behind Trulli, but he drove a very strong stint to jump most of the cars in front of him, even though the car was already suffering from the tyre-warming problem. He actually finished a very short distance behind his team-mate who had no dramas at all on his way to the podium.

So I would say it was the Brawn team, rather than just Jenson, who found it hard to cope with the pressure. I'd like to say it's different at McLaren, maybe it will be next year. If Jenson doesn't succeed in 2013, it's more likely to be down to the team.

Well JB himself said he was only going to qualify 5th even if he hadn't been called in. And it wasn't just Silverstone, it was all the races thereafter, a step-change that just looked exactly like tightening up.

Though I do agree McLaren suits Jenson extremely well. Still, I think next year everybody's gonna be saying the car's not quite a front-runner...

#167 PARAZAR

PARAZAR

• 1,090 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:31

Well JB himself said he was only going to qualify 5th even if he hadn't been called in. And it wasn't just Silverstone, it was all the races thereafter, a step-change that just looked exactly like tightening up.

Though I do agree McLaren suits Jenson extremely well. Still, I think next year everybody's gonna be saying the car's not quite a front-runner...

Just like in Hamilton's case we'll just have to wait and see.

#168 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,135 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:50

Oh really?

2007 threw away what looked like an unassailable lead.

2008 very nearly did it again.

2010 got a little crashy and blew his chance.

2011 wasn't very good was it?

#169 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,007 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:07

Why do we still reminded of 2009 as an example of how weak Jenson is under pressure and so on? He has won a title that year, no doubt, but he has become a better driver since then. He said it himself.

Edited by sofarapartguy, 12 October 2012 - 07:07.

#170 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:21

Oh really?

Don't gimme this fakery, pretending that is 'form'. In 07 he was a mile in the lead in China and so nearly had pole in Brazil. In 08 he won China and kept it together with that low d/f wing in wet Brazil under amazing pressure. In 2010 could have won but for Webber and a toe link that 9 times out of 10 wouldn't have broken. Last year the car wasn't really a contender but even though it's billed as a meltdown year for Lewis Jenson only won the same number of races.

Lewis keeps his form under pressure. He stays fast. Jenson, in 2009, didn't. Now he has his wdc and another 3 years' maturity, so he'll probably be better. But still. It's a question whether McLaren will have a fast JB if he gets into the lead of the championship. Ferrari, Red Bull. Merc, and Renault won't have that question.

#171 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,007 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:32

Lewis keeps his form under pressure. He stays fast. Jenson, in 2009, didn't. Now he has his wdc and another 3 years' maturity, so he'll probably be better. But still. It's a question whether McLaren will have a fast JB if he gets into the lead of the championship. Ferrari, Red Bull. Merc, and Renault won't have that question.

Try to read some posts about why JB kept his head cool in 2009. By the end of the season he was racing in Australia spec car trying to score as many points as he could as the car was less and less competitive relatively to RB5. He just couldn't afford to set the world on fire and fight in agressive mode like Rubens did. In was not a decline, it was a calculation. Had LH made the same in 2010 he would've been a WDC.

Edited by sofarapartguy, 12 October 2012 - 07:33.

#172 Force Ten

Force Ten

• 2,764 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:33

Lewis keeps his form under pressure. He stays fast.

He is always fast. So what? HE DOESN'T GET POINTS!

#173 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

• 4,247 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:46

Who wanted him?

Williams.

And he certainly didn't wrap it up well before the end of the year. He fell over the line thanks to a Red Bull strategy error in Brazil qualy.

The 2009 WDC was won earlier in the season than the 2007, 2008 or 2010 WDC.

#174 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,791 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:21

Jenson is a top driver and if McLaren could give him a good car, he will challenge for the WDC. But I don't think he will be the Champion though.

Personally, I think Jenson will outpoint his ex-teammate Hamilton in the WDC standing next year.

#175 teejay

teejay

• 3,599 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:13

Perez wont have the experience for Jenson to turn to when he cant get his setup right.

Honestly, there is no proof during his career that he has been able to lead any team in his own right.

With the rules being close to identical next year the odds of McLaren building a field crusher are low. Be interesting to see how he handles it all.

#176 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,135 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:19

Don't gimme this fakery, pretending that is 'form'. In 07 he was a mile in the lead in China and so nearly had pole in Brazil. In 08 he won China and kept it together with that low d/f wing in wet Brazil under amazing pressure. In 2010 could have won but for Webber and a toe link that 9 times out of 10 wouldn't have broken. Last year the car wasn't really a contender but even though it's billed as a meltdown year for Lewis Jenson only won the same number of races.

Lack of form tends to manifest in different ways for different drivers. With Jenson it tends to be tyre warming issues in Q, with Lewis it's things like missing the pit lane entry or ramming people on the way out of the pits.

Edited by Lazy, 12 October 2012 - 09:21.

#177 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,007 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:27

Honestly, there is no proof during his career that he has been able to lead any team in his own right.

Honda 2004-2006? Anyone?

#178 teejay

teejay

• 3,599 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:55

Yes because Sato is regarded as an all time great and someone upon which you should clearly judge greatness.

#179 WitnessX

WitnessX

• 1,145 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:03

Perez wont have the experience for Jenson to turn to when he cant get his setup right.

Oh no, not this "Lewis's set-up" stuff again.

At Canada Jensons car was fitted with the "Carbon Industry" brake materials (not his normal "Brembo"), which (because of lack of running) turned out to be incompatible with the preferred set-up he normally uses.

Since Lewis uses that Brake material it made sense to compare the set-ups to see what was causing the problems, it turned out to be the rear brakes overheating the rear tyres.

At Valencia they intended to use Lewis's set-up as starting point, however in the end for that race he ended up back on the "Brembo" brakes with a set-up based on those he had used earlier in the year.

Since then it looks like he mostly had to use and adapt to "Carbon Industry", I have seen a report where they stated he tried the Brembo brakes out in practice in Japan, but whether he ran them is unclear.

Perez is a "Brembo" user. So it would make sense to me that they would target the "Brembo" brake components in the design for next years car.

Advertisement

#180 thesham01

thesham01

• 1,196 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:07

Williams.

The 2009 WDC was won earlier in the season than the 2007, 2008 or 2010 WDC.

I'll repeat, even though I know the question will be ignored like before:

Do you think Buttoner was correct, while wearing his fair and just moderator hat, that Button 'wrapped up the championship up well before the end of the year'?

He won one race before the end, and only because other people tripped up worse than he did.

#181 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,007 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:09

Yes because Sato is regarded as an all time great and someone upon which you should clearly judge greatness.

Rubens arrived by the 2006.

Just admit you underrate JB so we can go further.

#182 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,251 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:14

Another strawman.

Do you agree that he 'wrapped the championship up well before the end'?

I don't think you understand what a strawman argument is. It is where you construct an argument around a misrepresentation of somebody's opinion. In fact, exactly what you did when you said that 'wrapped up well before the end' implied 'cruised'. Mine was a simple statement of fact that Button won the championship with races in hand. That's it. The implication being that he managed the difficulty of having a car which was swallowed by the field in terms of performance and development spend to nevertheless win with a comfortable margin. It wasn't easy, far from it, clearly, and the discussion should maybe centre around how well Button coped with it because that may be of relevance next year.

The point of the thread is to discuss whether Button can lead Mclaren against Seb at red Bull and Fred at Ferrari.

If Button had not been in the Brawn - yeah I think Rubens would have won it - the car was that good.

The only real difficult years were 07 and 08 and he stayed coz no-one better wanted him. Dont forget there was that Macca seat available in 07.

What has Kimi got to do with anything?

It would have been looked at as lacking speed if Jbs results were counted. Thats obviously what I meant.

Still its good to hear from our neutral moderators from time to time. :)

Let me just make one thing clear; I am not, nor am I required to be, neutral. This is never likely to be the case for as long as moderators are drawn from the membership rather than paid staff. I suggest you contact me by PM if you have anything more to say on the point because this discussion is not about me.

Your comment about Rubens makes no sense considering the stance you are prepared to take about Lewis and Button this year. You said "this year's car would have been seen as a bit of a failure if JBs results were the only ones looked at" but I believe that the same standard should be applied to the Brawn in 2009. Why then do you consider Rubens, who finished the season behind Vettel, to have shown enough to make the 2009 championship his? If you're prepared to rewrite 2009 in order to accommodate that result, why would you not be prepared to do so for Button this year? Rewriting 2009 reinforces the view that it was all about the car, while not doing so for 2012 makes it all about the driver, which maybe suits your argument, but is a distortion.

What does your (unsubstantiated and IMO unverifiable) statement about nobody wanting Button in 07 and 08 have to say about his ability to lead McLaren in 2013?

Kimi's current place in the championship shows how ultimate speed is not necessarily the only requirement for finishing well in the WDC, that's all. There are four race winners behind him in the championship, including two with multiple wins. It's not hard to imagine that he could win the championship without winning a race, in fact. You asked whether Button was fast enough to lead a team and although Kimi's performance has been inspirational and brought positive headlines for the team, is it born of speed or consistency? It would be hard to argue that he's not leading his team and inspiring their success. I'm not looking for an answer, just putting it out there as a point for consideration.

#183 thesham01

thesham01

• 1,196 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:16

Oh really?

2007: His first year in F1 against an all-time great and current double world champion. And you are using this year as a negative??

2008: He won the WDC in what, in retrospect, was the worse car. He kept his pace and aggression all season, his form never dropping.

2010: He got a little aggressive, but McLaren cost him more than he cost himself. A recurring theme, and the reason he has left. Still a man learning his trade, making decision errors.

2011: His worst year, but still lead the challenge to Vettel until it was clear the only way to win the WDC was all out, balls to the wall aggression. You have to remember, he doesn't care about Button and if he beats him. He knows he has Button in his pocket all things considered. He doesn't sit on this forum like us. Still a man learning his trade, making decision errors.

2012: Should be WDC had it not been for McLaren. Destroyed his team-mate based on by far the most valued skill; pace. Has learnt to make better decisions, something Button did years ago outside of the spotlight. Now a man who has learnt his trade, and has outgrown his incompetent employers.

Edited by thesham01, 12 October 2012 - 10:18.

#184 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,415 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:17

I think he'll make a very good team leader. He's obviously very experienced and very popular down at Woking. I also think he'll beat Perez quite convincingly. However, if he keeps qualifying say, 0.3 - 0.4 secs from the front it is defiantly going to raise the "What if Hamilton was in the car?" question in the press, on here, and inevitably in Woking. That IMO will be the true test of his leadership.

Edited by maverick69, 12 October 2012 - 10:18.

#185 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,496 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:20

2007: His first year in F1 against an all-time great and current double world champion. And you are using this year as a negative??

Quite. How anybody can use 2007 as a negative against Lewis I will never know. It was an amazing year to watch and he did amazingly well.

#186 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,007 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:22

Quite. How anybody can use 2007 as a negative against Lewis I will never know. It was an amazing year to watch and he did amazingly well.

JV has been outstanding in his debut year. And still he is rated as an average journey man.

#187 thesham01

thesham01

• 1,196 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:24

JV has been outstanding in his debut year. And still he is rated as an average journey man.

I think we should keep this on topic, and not about Hamilton... but one last reply about Hamilton;

Do you really think Hamilton has not been outstanding this year? And in 2008? Thats at least 3 seasons where he has been outstanding.

#188 teejay

teejay

• 3,599 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:24

Rubens arrived by the 2006.

Just admit you underrate JB so we can go further.

I think I rate him pretty much correctly to be honest.

#189 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,496 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:26

Thats not quite the same as Lewis Hamilton though is it? Apart from 2011 he's be outstanding in every year he has competed and has not given the impression he is anything but a top driver. I think it woulod be insulting to the likes of Alonso and Vettel if we were to label Lewis a journey man.

#190 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,007 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:27

I think we should keep this on topic, and not about Hamilton... but one last reply about Hamilton;

Do you really think Hamilton has not been outstanding this year? And in 2008? Thats at least 3 seasons where he has been outstanding.

I think 2007 was so long ago that we should use it quite seldom at the moment. Both drivers have grown up and became a different persons.

Let's stay on topic, ok.

#191 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,007 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:30

I think I rate him pretty much correctly to be honest.

Ok, let's try another option.

JB has proved (2004-2006-2009) that he can lead the team when it is needed. And I'm sure that he can do it no worse than LH did in 2008-09. In fact, LH is a weak leader TBH so I see no reasons why Jenson should struggle with that role in 2013.

If you disagree I'd like to hear why.

#192 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,496 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:31

JB has proved (2004-2006-2009) that he can lead the team when it is needed. And I'm sure that he can do it no worse than LH did in 2008-09. In fact, LH is a weak leader TBH so I see no reasons why Jenson should struggle with that role in 2013.

I'd like to hear why you think Hamilton is a weak leader and how you measure that to relate to Button?

#193 oligc94

oligc94

• 511 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:34

Thats not quite the same as Lewis Hamilton though is it? Apart from 2011 he's be outstanding in every year he has competed and has not given the impression he is anything but a top driver. I think it woulod be insulting to the likes of Alonso and Vettel if we were to label Lewis a journey man.

And even in 2011 there were some moments of brilliance (China, Germany, Korea pole) that were, admittedly, somewhat overshadowed by the moments of face palm.

#194 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,496 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:36

And even in 2011 there were some moments of brilliance (China, Germany, Korea pole) that were, admittedly, somewhat overshadowed by the moments of face palm.

I quite agree :)

#195 teejay

teejay

• 3,599 posts

Id like to know what McLaren 2013 with Button Perez has to do with Hamilton?

Id like to know how one person being a weak leader instantly makes another person a strong one?

You can have two weak leaders in a team you know.

So, Button beats Sato (wow) in 2004 and 5, then beats Rubens in his first year in the team. That might make him a leading driver in the team, but not necessarily a leader which is an entirely different thing.

What happened in 07-08, where was Button when the team needed leading out of dire dire times? Rubens didnt do it either, but this is about Jenson.

You are so focussed and worried that someone is comparing Jenson to Lewis that you are missing the bigger picture.

The only comment I will make about Lewis though - is that he has NEVER needed to lead. He was raised and trained and ingrained by a team that leads for their drivers. They are there to deliver the result.

#196 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,007 posts

I'd like to hear why you think Hamilton is a weak leader and how you measure that to relate to Button?

Because LH is to much affected by a lot of things outside the track. As well as his desire to fight for WDC not for wins affects his long term prospects, 2010 - best example. The year wneh Mclaren could benefit hugely from having strong mentally, fast and consistent leader. Adn I'm not sure LH did his best that time.

So losing Lewis will not be a problem if we are talking about leading a team as they have lost nothing in that prospect.

Edited by sofarapartguy, 12 October 2012 - 10:38.

#197 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,496 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:40

Because LH is to much affected by a lot of things outside the track. As well as his desire to fight for WDC not for wins affects his long term prospects, 2010 - best example. The year wneh Mclaren could benefit hugely from having strong mentally fast and consistent leader. Adn I'm not sure LH did his best that time.

So loosing Lewis will not be a problem if we are talking about leading a team as they have lost nothing in that prospect.

Thats good to know. As long as Mercedes up their game next year, I don't care who is leading the McLaren team.

#198 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,007 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:41

Thats good to know. As long as Mercedes up their game next year, I don't care who is leading the McLaren team.

So why did you even bother to post hear, huh.

#199 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,135 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:42

The suggestion was that Lewis never loses his form, these examples were to show that he does, fairly regularly. Not a judgement on the year as a whole.

Advertisement

#200 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,496 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:44

So why did you even bother to post hear, huh.

Because I am still interested to hear peoples views regardless. Don't you worry about me and where I post thank you.