Photo

Is Vettel worthy of the 3 WDC Title?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
453 replies to this topic

#251 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,397 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:17

fully deserves it, and is getting better in my opinion.

Advertisement

#252 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,790 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:21

Alonso could have won if he had chosen not to focus his race strategy on Webber... Getting caught behind Petrov was a consequence of Alonso covering Webber and underestimating his other competitors.

I would not blame Alonso for that cock-up. Ferrari strategists got it wrong and cost Alonso his 3rd WDC....

#253 tifosi

tifosi

• 13,136 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:45

This is why Formula One is a TEAM sport.

No driver in history has won it alone.

No team has ever won it without a good driver.

#254 joshb

joshb

• 3,059 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:50

uncanny how similar 2010 and 2012 are, he has ended up in situation in both where Alonso gets himself a lead against a field of 3-4 contenders and Vettel comes steaming through with a much faster package at the end. But you don't get head to head confrontations in that situation sadly.

I want to see Vettel involved in a title battle like Alonso vs Schumacher 06, Hamilton vs Massa 08, Schumacher vs Mika 00, Schumacher vs Villenuve in 97, I could list more but I'm sure you get the point I'm making. Intense battles, 2 drivers had the front of the grid going wheel to wheel in title defining battles.

I cant recall Hamilton/Massa going head to head on track in the end of 2008, they were taking turns to tripping up but i see what you mean.

#255 PinkZepStones

PinkZepStones

• 220 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:20

Well generally the thread has had plenty of good posts for and against the OP, happy with that.

Question people gotta ask themselves is why Hamilton and Alonso are considered the top two by so many neutrals and media etc, yet Vettel will soon have more titles then both and is generally regarded a close third?

Question people gotta ask themselves is why Hamiltons greatest criticism is that he "walked right into a top team" and yet we cant say the same for Vettel who was in F1 a year full season before first title shot?

Question people gotta ask themselves is why Schumacher isnt considered the greatest of all time by many if not all but a few to a guy with less then half his title count?

For some reason we arent allowed to even question Vettel and his soon to be 3 title tally count, its either taken as a personal insult/attack or bitter fanboyism for other drivers, a few (a lot) of people here are so damn thin skinned and prissy everything has to be an argument, you should spend more energy trying to get laid guys tbh.

By the way the same questions were asked of Hamilton until 2009 and Schumacher till Ferrari years, but there has been a mighty surge if people covering their ears and singing la la la when it comes to Vettel.

Guy deserves every title hes got, im the first to agree, every single race win and pole too, but they do seem to have come so easy to him (ie worthy as in title) compared to others that put so much hard graft in to get theirs, not to mention showing supreme talent when the chips are down.

The problem is there is no middle ground, people either seem to think Vettel is the next Senna, but better, with the team play of Schumi and pace of Senna and the tacticianship of Prost, and the others think hes overrated by far, there isnt any room for the guys in the middle like me that know hes special, but special enough? As both sides just go off on great argument and we're left!

#256 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 13:03

On SPEED, they posted statistics on Vettel and Alonso for the season this year. It included number of wins, laps led, number of poles etc. They were remarkably similar. Vettel's stats are down to a superior car while Alonso's are down to superior driving..... yeah... right. Where is his superior driving now when compared to Vettel.

At the end of the day they are both really great drivers with great teams behind them. Their race preparations are consistently great. This is why they are at the top of the championship. Vettel has the car advantage now and we're seeing him take full advantage of this. This was not at all always the case this year.

Spa this year among others, makes it quite clear that Vettel is up to racing for position and not simply winning from the front.

#257 superuser

superuser

• 55 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 13:18

Spa is great example why Vettel is not that spectacular - because he rarely screws up in the qualy. In Spa he was way down the grid from where he should have been and on a track when the overtakes are possible he get the job done.

#258 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,134 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 13:41

He is worthy champion for sure but only in a Schumacher way... not in a Senna way.

Ah it is like that is it. :drunk:

#259 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 1,525 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 13:46

So yeah i feel even now 5 races from the end red bull and vettel are deserving of 2012 WDC and WCC cause they have really done well but i do feel its a slight shame if im honest that Vettel has already overtaken the likes of Prost, Alonso, Piquet etc who really REALLY earnt their titles when Vettels had 3 years of a car capable of 20 second plus wins, 2011 being the easiest 2010 being the most earnt thus far and if he wins 2012 that will be his best.

Still i dont quite think its right, any opinions disagree or agree, lets keep this civil its a fair point.

The fact that you don't even bother to check facts tells me what the objective of your post is, so I don't think it deserves to be taken seriously.

Advertisement

#260 robefc

robefc

• 7,952 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 14:17

Haven't read te thread but seemed like the most appropriate place to put this.

Combined with alonso's comments about Lewis I get the impression they both think they are the best two drivers and Vettel has been flattered by his equipment.

There was another post-race comment from Hamilton, too, that said an awful lot. “I hope Fernando keeps pushing,” he said.

Hamilton did not reply when asked directly whether that meant he wanted Alonso to win the title. But you can be sure that remark is a reflection of Hamilton’s belief that he is better than Vettel, that only Alonso is his equal

http://www.bbc.co.uk...l_put_down.html

#261 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 13,360 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 14:19

This is why Formula One is a TEAM sport.

No driver in history has won it alone.

No team has ever won it without a good driver.

:up:

And its not like Vettel has a slouch for a teammate. He's still got to do the work and he does it very well. Scary well sometimes.

#262 Mr.Wayne

Mr.Wayne

• 572 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 14:20

Combined with alonso's comments about Lewis I get the impression they both think they are the best two drivers and Vettel has been flattered by his equipment.

There was another post-race comment from Hamilton, too, that said an awful lot. “I hope Fernando keeps pushing,” he said.

Hamilton did not reply when asked directly whether that meant he wanted Alonso to win the title. But you can be sure that remark is a reflection of Hamilton’s belief that he is better than Vettel, that only Alonso is his equal

I think it is more an ego thing... Having a guy who entered the sport in a lesser car, younger, achieving what Hamilton himself was bragging about when he started is certainly not good for him.

If Alonso wins, he can play with the "I beat him in the same car" card.

#263 Zava

Zava

• 4,717 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 14:21

haha, he's truly frightened of being overshadowed by Vettel :wave:

#264 Mr.Wayne

Mr.Wayne

• 572 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 14:25

Well generally the thread has had plenty of good posts for and against the OP, happy with that.

Question people gotta ask themselves is why Hamilton and Alonso are considered the top two by so many neutrals and media etc, yet Vettel will soon have more titles then both and is generally regarded a close third?

Question people gotta ask themselves is why Hamiltons greatest criticism is that he "walked right into a top team" and yet we cant say the same for Vettel who was in F1 a year full season before first title shot?

Question people gotta ask themselves is why Schumacher isnt considered the greatest of all time by many if not all but a few to a guy with less then half his title count?

For some reason we arent allowed to even question Vettel and his soon to be 3 title tally count, its either taken as a personal insult/attack or bitter fanboyism for other drivers, a few (a lot) of people here are so damn thin skinned and prissy everything has to be an argument, you should spend more energy trying to get laid guys tbh.

By the way the same questions were asked of Hamilton until 2009 and Schumacher till Ferrari years, but there has been a mighty surge if people covering their ears and singing la la la when it comes to Vettel.

Guy deserves every title hes got, im the first to agree, every single race win and pole too, but they do seem to have come so easy to him (ie worthy as in title) compared to others that put so much hard graft in to get theirs, not to mention showing supreme talent when the chips are down.

The problem is there is no middle ground, people either seem to think Vettel is the next Senna, but better, with the team play of Schumi and pace of Senna and the tacticianship of Prost, and the others think hes overrated by far, there isnt any room for the guys in the middle like me that know hes special, but special enough? As both sides just go off on great argument and we're left!

Actually, it is not as clear cut like that... But I think why there is little discussion on Hamilton and Alonso is because when they were paired, they were quite evenly matched.

A more interesting question is why Jenson doesn't receive the credit he is due; after all, he did something Alonso failed at: Button has beaten Hamilton over the course of a season. Furthermore, over their time together at McLaren, they points tally is pretty much the same.

But one usually doesn't read about Button being placed up there with Alonso and Hamilton for some reason... And I think that for Vettel is the same. He is "only" a 2xWDC who wins "because of his car" (despite of 2010 and how ridiculously close this 2012 has been so far). Until Vettel pairs with either of them, the same point is going to continue. The discussion, if rumours are to be believed, should be put to a rest in 2014 when Vettel moves to Alonso's team on Alonso's terms. However (again, reading a little bit too much within the lines, and probably totally wrong here), such a move would never happen unless Alonso is willing to accept equal treatment and equipment for both drivers... According to Briatore, Alonso's mistake going to McLaren was not to request that point in writing.

#265 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 14:26

Yeah is that supposed to be news? We already know Ham (and his fanboys) detest Vettel for the fact that he stole Lewis' thunder.

Edited by EvanRainer, 14 October 2012 - 14:29.

#266 John Player

John Player

• 382 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 14:27

Absolutely, as is Alonso too.

#267 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,004 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 15:03

For some reason 2012 is a really dull season to me. Cars and drivers suddenly find speed and win races just to suddenly lose it all by the next weekend. Teams who's form is a secret even to themselves, tires which characteristics are a mystery for it's manufacturer.

Whoever wins the2012 year reminds me more of an on-line championship than a pinnacle of motorsport. Too stupid from any point you look.

Edited by sofarapartguy, 14 October 2012 - 15:04.

#268 TallyHo

TallyHo

• 271 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 15:13

Vettel is already up there with the greats in history. Hamilton and Alonso are just butt hurt. Hamilton with only 1 WDC, which was won on the last corner against his only rival........Massa lol. He's on his way to becoming Jacques Villeneuve the II anyway. and Alonso who is very good but didn't win his 2 WDCs in an inferior car either.

#269 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 16,933 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 15:20

I prefer if he won his 3rd title not in a redbull.

Vettel needs a new challenge. Redbulll is as much to do about Newey's aero insfrastruture then Vettel's driving, as good as he is.

I think Vettel needs a Alonso type season, where it's a constant struggle to reach top points.

I don't think current f1 is being guided too much with driver skill, but more the insfracture/key resources/personnel at certain teams and Schumacher has won big at 2 teams and was going for a 3rd, and Alonso is trying to win with 2 teams.

Vettel will be defined with what he does away from redbull.

#270 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 1,525 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 15:31

Would be interesting to see the data backing this up, some poll with a statistically significant universe of F1 fans for example.

#271 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 1,525 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 15:36

Vettel is already up there with the greats in history. Hamilton and Alonso are just butt hurt. Hamilton with only 1 WDC, which was won on the last corner against his only rival........Massa lol. He's on his way to becoming Jacques Villeneuve the II anyway. and Alonso who is very good but didn't win his 2 WDCs in an inferior car either.

Exactly, the Renault was dominant in those years, especially in 2005 (with McLAren's challenging later in the season, albeit hampered by horrible reliability). In 2006 the Renault was as dominant (or not) as the RBR in 2010.

Edited by RealRacing, 14 October 2012 - 15:39.

#272 LiJu914

LiJu914

• 1,776 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 15:37

Would be interesting to see the data backing this up, some poll with a statistically significant universe of F1 fans for example.

As F1 isn´t really a sceince in that regard, i guess you won´t find any surveys... ;)

Anyway iirc several month ago there was a "GOAT-poll" made up as a knockout-tournament (quite amusing...) - Senna and MSC reached the finals and AS won by 55% vs. 45% or something like that.

Edited by LiJu914, 14 October 2012 - 15:38.

#273 Sapphiresteel

Sapphiresteel

• 58 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 15:39

I think Vettel needs a Alonso type season, where it's a constant struggle to reach top points.

He had those when he began in F1.

I don't think current f1 is being guided too much with driver skill, but more the insfracture/key resources/personnel at certain teams and Schumacher has won big at 2 teams and was going for a 3rd, and Alonso is trying to win with 2 teams.

On the contrary. When MS had his best years Ferrari had unlimited resources and unlimited testing at Fiorano. Now testing is limited and resources limited. Driver skill has much greater role than before.

#274 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 1,525 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 15:43

As F1 isn´t really a sceince in that regard, i guess you won´t find any surveys...;)

Anyway iirc several month ago there was a "GOAT-poll" made up as a knockout-tournament (quite amusing...) - Senna and MSC reached the finals and AS won by 55% vs. 45% or something like that.

Ok, in that case, I think stating that "Schumacher isnt considered the greatest of all time by many if not all but a few" is more of a gut feeling kind of thing?

#275 apoka

apoka

• 3,334 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 15:51

Vettel would deserve 3 WDC titles.

I respect other opinions, but I cannot understand those who say that he had it too easy. 2010 was a nightmare in terms of reliability and it was a close fight with the fastest but not most reliable car. The way he handled those situations was very remarkable (it actually helped to adapt his philosophy in everyday life). In 2011, he was extremely good even if you take the car advantage into account. Actually, in the second half McLaren was about equal and the RB7 was not as superior as, for instance, Mansell in 1992. 2011 was one of the best seasons by a driver ever. This year is a close battle and only recently RB looks like the fastest car (actually only in the past two races, before McLaren was considered fastest for a while). You just need to look a few races back to Spa where McLaren was dominant, but Vettel secured lots of valuable points - and had to fight hard for those. So, overall, he had very good machinery, but I don't feel that 2010-2012 were/are "easy" for him.

Edited by apoka, 14 October 2012 - 15:56.

#276 abc02

abc02

• 253 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 16:24

I think the one thing Vettel seems to lack compared to Lewis and Alonso is that "magic" factor. He never seems to take improbable wins like Alonso has this year, or shown as much spectacular wheel-to-wheel skill as Hamilton has in the past. Senna is regarded as the Greatest of All Time for similar reasons: he won all his championships in very fast Mclaren-Hondas, but when he was driving a Lotus or a Mclaren-Ford he seemed to be doing things with the car that shouldn't have been possible. So right now Vettel is widely seen as an overachiever, and that the moment he stops having the best car he'll fade into obscurity like Jacques Villeneuve.

I'd like to think othewise, but the only way to prove that is for him to go to Ferrari and go head-to-head with Alonso. He'd be putting his reputation on the line, but it's the only way he can put doubts about his quality to rest.

Edited by abc02, 14 October 2012 - 16:26.

#277 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 16:28

It would seem that Hamilton is very worried about Vettel running away with all the records and in effect, stealing his spotlight. Alonso would put a damper on that. Nothing more, really. 3 championships to Hamilton's 1 doesn't bode well for the Hamster (next Senna) persona, especially with Hamilton going to the mighty Mercedes next year.

#278 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 16:29

I think the one thing Vettel seems to lack compared to Lewis and Alonso is that "magic" factor. He never seems to take improbable wins like Alonso has this year, or shown as much spectacular wheel-to-wheel skill as Hamilton has in the past. Senna is regarded as the Greatest of All Time for similar reasons: he won all his championships in very fast Mclaren-Hondas, but when he was driving a Lotus or a Mclaren-Ford he seemed to be doing things with the car that shouldn't have been possible. So right now Vettel is widely seen as an overachiever, and that the moment he stops having the best car he'll fade into obscurity like Jacques Villeneuve.

I'd like to think othewise, but the only way to prove that is for him to go to Ferrari and go head-to-head with Alonso. He'd be putting his reputation on the line, but it's the only way he can put doubts about his quality to rest.

It depends on who doubts his quality....

Vettel is so good with qualifying that once the car is any good, he ends up either on pole or one the front row. He then takes off from the front. He already has enough pole positions to be behind only Michael and Senna in the all time number of poles by a single driver. It would seem that his qualifying speed is working against perceptions of him.

Edited by ali_M, 14 October 2012 - 16:43.

#279 whitevisor

whitevisor

• 267 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 16:45

Vettel is good driver. And good driver will win in the best car. No real struggles for him since he stepped into that team in 2009. Number 1 status, blazing fast cars, hugs and kisses from CH and HM and Adrian Newey. Alas, he still deserves it. Sometimes being in the right team at right time is all that is needed.

Advertisement

#280 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 1,525 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 16:55

But you can be sure that remark is a reflection of Hamilton’s belief that he is better than Vettel, that only Alonso is his equal[/i]

LH knows that he beat FA, so saying that FA is the best puts him where? Exactly.

In the last seasons the biggest threat for both FA and LH has been SV. LH took FA's youngest champ record and then SV took it from him. SV now seems close to winning another WDC, so he'll beat them both. He kind of stole LH's thunder, who did the same to FA. Your enemy's enemy is your friend...

#281 sailor

sailor

• 585 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 17:00

Hamilton is naive. And this is his only problem.

He beat Alonso in his rookie year , he should be able to walk over Alonso if they were teammates today.

Thats the sole reason Alonso chose teams like Renault and now Ferrari when the other driver drives with a hand behind his back.
Alonso has managed to create the illusion that he is the best. Thats why I call him Magician :)

Hamilton s real challenger is only one guy and that is Seb. He has to be wary of him.

#282 apoka

apoka

• 3,334 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 17:04

I think the one thing Vettel seems to lack compared to Lewis and Alonso is that "magic" factor. He never seems to take improbable wins like Alonso has this year, or shown as much spectacular wheel-to-wheel skill as Hamilton has in the past.

He had plenty of wheel-to-wheel racing this season. His wins this year haven't been spectacular, but some of his drives to podiums have been. There are actually quite a few posters on this board, who previously thought Vettel could only shine when driving at the front, but are now convinced that his wheel-to-wheel skills are excellent as well. I don't think 2012 was even needed to show this point, but anyway kudos to those who update their opinions once in a while.  ;)

#283 ZooL

ZooL

• 2,063 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 17:16

No.

#284 Crossmax

Crossmax

• 974 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 17:16

His race win in Bahrain was an example of winning without having the fastest car on race day. A very robust defensive move into turn one saved his victory that day.

Defensive driving, by the way, is something that Seb is very good at. I would say that, apart from qualifying, it is his most distinctive skill.

#285 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,069 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 18:38

He had plenty of wheel-to-wheel racing this season. His wins this year haven't been spectacular, but some of his drives to podiums have been. There are actually quite a few posters on this board, who previously thought Vettel could only shine when driving at the front, but are now convinced that his wheel-to-wheel skills are excellent as well. I don't think 2012 was even needed to show this point, but anyway kudos to those who update their opinions once in a while. ;)

Thank you ;)

Well, I gotta say, I'm more impressed with Vettel this season than in 2012 simply because his car isn't that dominant anymore. Cutting through the field on new tyres with an exceptional car = like the F1 2012 Challenges. Something like Grosjean pulled in Spain (GP2) at but in less equal circumstances. You can't build up a name on that alone. This season is less of that and that's good to see. But he has many years to come, I hope he doesn't win it by car quality.

#286 canaus

canaus

• 162 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 18:52

His race win in Bahrain was an example of winning without having the fastest car on race day. A very robust defensive move into turn one saved his victory that day.

Defensive driving, by the way, is something that Seb is very good at. I would say that, apart from qualifying, it is his most distinctive skill.

Is just an ilusion. Vettel and Kimi were on different tyres in that stint. What Kimi did in the last stint? Nothing.

#287 famou55TAR

famou55TAR

• 27 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 18:56

Yes, The topic of weather Vettel deserves to win seems to come up all the time. Seb is a great driver. He deserves it indeed

#288 911

• 2,160 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 19:06

To answer the OP's question -> why wouldn't he deserve it?

The way Seb is going, he may just end up winning this title by a pretty large margin. Red Bull is peaking at the right time and the remaining 5 GPs may just be a snooze fest for the rest of us.

#289 Asterion

Asterion

• 306 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 19:10

To answer the OP's question -> why wouldn't he deserve it?

The way Seb is going, he may just end up winning this title by a pretty large margin. Red Bull is peaking at the right time and the remaining 5 GPs may just be a snooze fest for the rest of us.

I suspect it is a snoozefest even for him...

#290 swerved

swerved

• 3,497 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 19:14

haha, he's truly frightened of being overshadowed by Vettel :wave:

I would agree with that, if he hadn't already been overshadowed, Vettel has stolen the limelight, the thunder, and most if not all of the records, and he seems more than satisfied that the only brand he needs to promote is that of his employer.

He's as worthy of any and all of his WDC's as any other driver thats won one.

#291 adam1312

adam1312

• 31 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 19:18

doesnt deserve it lucky in 2010, it was the car in 2011, lucky if he wins this year im a hamilton fan but will admit that alonso deserves it not the best car but he and team getting the best out of it but red bull updates have worked best car now so vettle winning

#292 911

• 2,160 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 19:21

doesnt deserve it lucky in 2010, it was the car in 2011, lucky if he wins this year im a hamilton fan but will admit that alonso deserves it not the best car but he and team getting the best out of it but red bull updates have worked best car now so vettle winning

Since when is the "car" not a large part of the WDC?

#293 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,225 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 19:23

I would agree with that, if he hadn't already been overshadowed, Vettel has stolen the limelight, the thunder, and most if not all of the records, and he seems more than satisfied that the only brand he needs to promote is that of his employer.

He hasn't got the admiration of everybody though. Lewis is entitled to his opinion as much as we are. The last thing I want to see is the same driver winning for three consecutive years so I share Hamilton's sentiment concerning Alonso. Vettel might deserve it, but not everyone wants to see him do it. I won't be bitter if he does it, but I won't be jumping for joy or watching the celebrations. Its 2013 for some fans now as this year is effectively over.

#294 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 19:40

He's as worthy of any and all of his WDC's as any other driver thats won one.

Totally agree Seb has "stolen" Lewis' thunder, silverware and records
He'll be the legend of his generation
Who'd have thunk that in 2007 when the Lewis hype was still alive and kicking

3 consecutive titles simply amazing

#295 swerved

swerved

• 3,497 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 19:44

He hasn't got the admiration of everybody though. Lewis is entitled to his opinion as much as we are. The last thing I want to see is the same driver winning for three consecutive years so I share Hamilton's sentiment concerning Alonso. Vettel might deserve it, but not everyone wants to see him do it. I won't be bitter if he does it, but I won't be jumping for joy or watching the celebrations. Its 2013 for some fans now as this year is effectively over.

I have the sneaking suspicion that having everyones admiration is way down on Vettels list of priorities, Just my opinion but i dont think he's so insecure that he needs to be loved universally, He wants to win, I'd hazard a guess that those people he feels are important to him already admire him, and in any case F1 is a racing series, not a popularity contest.

As for winning 3 consecutive years, well he hasn't yet, and still might not, but i bet plenty will be happy if he does, and i would be one of them, of course, plenty would be happy if he doesn't, and Lewis is probably one of those.

#296 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,225 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 19:47

Well we weren't to know Red Bull were going to produce a series of cars that were better than the rest. Seb has got the job done in the best machinery and I would imagine that would hurt Lewis. He knows in the same position he would have done exactly the same and its frustrating. It must hurt Seb though to know many people still rate him behind Alonso and Hamilton though. Records are great but its admiration amongst the greats that drivers also crave,

#297 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 19:50

I just have to add that I love reading Andrew Bensons blog, it never fails to entertain you and hardly never finishes without the implicit Benson fallacy.

And no so far he has not won three in a row, he just has broken many records. A lot of things can happen in those last races, especially since the Ferrari was also strong in the last two races.

Edited by H2H, 14 October 2012 - 19:50.

#298 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,225 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 19:53

I have the sneaking suspicion that having everyones admiration is way down on Vettels list of priorities, Just my opinion but i dont think he's so insecure that he needs to be loved universally, He wants to win, I'd hazard a guess that those people he feels are important to him already admire him, and in any case F1 is a racing series, not a popularity contest.

You are entitled to your opinion of course.

As for winning 3 consecutive years, well he hasn't yet, and still might not, but i bet plenty will be happy if he does, and i would be one of them, of course, plenty would be happy if he doesn't, and Lewis is probably one of those.

Well touch wood something happens then. Just my opinion, but I don't think its healthy for the sport to have one driver winning so much. The Schumacher era brought the sports popularity to its knees and I don't wish to see it like that again.

#299 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,220 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 19:54

It does seem now that Lewis will not win a second WDC before 2014 at the earliest. The emergence of Red Bull and Vettel could not easily be foreseen at that time, and McLaren looked like a good bet for the five year contract he signed at the end of 07 (covering 08-12).

The real difficulty for Lewis now is that he has been unable to wrangle a Red Bull (or even Ferrari) seat for his next contract. Then again, Mercedes could do what Red Bull has done, and emerge as a title winning force. However, that is a long shot and these next three years are some of Lewis's peak years.

Advertisement

#300 Zava

Zava

• 4,717 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 19:55

that was mclaren, not Seb! :smoking: