Photo

Cosworth for sale

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 AAGR

AAGR

• 397 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 15:20

How many TNF-ers would have to club together to buy up Cosworth ? The company, they say, is for sale, and will attract more than £100 million ....

AAGR

Edited by AAGR, 18 October 2012 - 07:12.

Advertisement

#2 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 16:15

For a moment there I thought you were talking about a DFV. I got all excited.....

#3 Hamish Robson

Hamish Robson

• 389 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 16:25

I thought you were going to try and off-load my garaged white elephant - I got quite worried!

#4 packapoo

packapoo

• 731 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:08

This is a motor sport forum.

I recall their 'glory' days but in more recent times can't see much use for them.
Wouldn't particularly want to line KK's pockets.

#5 packapoo

packapoo

• 731 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:10

I recall their 'glory' days but in more recent times can't see much use for them.

#6 BRG

BRG

• 25,941 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 19:46

Yes, we know. And Cosworth are still an important part of the British motorsport industry, from F1 to bikes so why shouldn't we discuss them here?

They are still powering two F1 teams and may continue to do so in the new engine formula. Glory days come and go, if we only value those at the top and ditch all the rest, we won't have a sport. You could have said the same - and many did -about Williams last year, but they bounced back.

I have no problems with Kevin - he put his money where his mouth was buying Cosworth, why shouldn't he get it back now?

#7 RonPohl

RonPohl

• 193 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 22:06

I should think there is a good market for Cosworth supplying the vintage market.

#8 Hamish Robson

Hamish Robson

• 389 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:16

If you want to know anything about Cosworth, ask the OP...

#9 Glengavel

Glengavel

• 1,304 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:15

Finally, there is no biography of Keith Duckworth, a great great engineer. I wonder what all these so-called motorsport “historians” are up to.

Watching 'Classic Car Rescue' and thinking, "I'm in the wrong game here", I shouldn't wonder.

#10 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:19

I am looking for technical info on the DFV.

You've probably seen these sites, Lucio, but just in case:

http://www.grandprix...sworthstory.pdf

http://www.historice.../dfv/specs.html

#11 Hamish Robson

Hamish Robson

• 389 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:24

Hamish, I’ll take your offer.

Finally, there is no biography of Keith Duckworth, a great great engineer. I wonder what all these so-called motorsport “historians” are up to.

Many thanks, Lucio

Look up "Cosworth: The Search For Power" by AAGR - plenty about KD there.

#12 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,506 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:48

In recent years, Cosworth have diversified well beyond the production of racing engines. It seems that Rolls-Royce, one of their leading customers, is an early favourite to buy. A very good choice for both companies and for British industry, but would motor sport remain a key market?

#13 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:00

In recent years, Cosworth have diversified well beyond the production of racing engines. It seems that Rolls-Royce, one of their leading customers, is an early favourite to buy. A very good choice for both companies and for British industry, but would motor sport remain a key market?

Not that long ago (by TNF standards) both Cosworth and Rolls-Royce Motors were owned by the Vickers group. Although one doesn't associate Vickers with motorsport when we did a tour of Cosworth in 1994 or '95 there was no shortage of motorsport work being done there then.

#14 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,506 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:05

It's not Rolls-Royce Motors who are the prospective purchasers, of course.

#15 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 13:10

It's not Rolls-Royce Motors who are the prospective purchasers, of course.

I hadn't gathered that, but it was the Vickers ownership of Cosworth that was relevant to the point I was making. That R-R Motors was also a Vickers company in the 1990s wasn't that important.