Oliver Sear, Snetterton

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 carrotcruncher

carrotcruncher

• 100 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:36

Dear all,
as some of you will notice,i'm a bit of an "anorak" about snetterton. I have been able to find out a little about Oliver Sear,but am still curious to know more.
1.Why did his mother buy Hamblyn House for him ,when he left the forces?
2.What did he do to become a partner at snetterton.
3.Is it true that when he sold his share he gleaned One and a half million pounds in 1963?
I have not been able to determine whether he is still with us,and what did he move on to?
Any help any one can give will be (as always) appreciated,
Yours in curiousity,
carrotcruncher.

Advertisement

#2 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,523 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:49

An Oliver Sear died in 1978 aged 57 in Wayland registration district. This district includes the parish of Snetterton http://www.ukbmd.org...ts/wayland.html

#3 Leigh Trevail

Leigh Trevail

• 553 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:00

I will forward this page on to Robin, Oliver's son. I suggest we hang fire until we have his reply; if not it may decend into total rubbish like the Dudley Coram thread.

Edited by Leigh Trevail, 21 October 2012 - 10:00.

#4 carrotcruncher

carrotcruncher

• 100 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:02

Thanks to all who have responded so far,I hope I respect the family's privacy.I take paticular note of Leigh's comment about the Dudley Coram thread,which I was also responsible for!
Ihave also tried(without success)to find out more about Constance Riches,on THAT other forum.
Regards to all
carrotcruncher

#5 Leigh Trevail

Leigh Trevail

• 553 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 18:11

This is the reply I received from Robin Sear after bringing this thread to his attention..

Hi Leigh

In regards to question 1.
My dad was never in the forces, He worked for Vickers on the Barnes Wallice team, Hamblyn house was bought with family money. not by his mother as such,

2. To my knowledge My dad and mum were seeking a location for track day events for the Aston Martin Owners Club and sourced what was to become Snetterton and contacted Mr. Riches who owned the land around the old air base and it was arranged to have a trial day for the club and Snetterton Heath Circuit was born from there, it was originally leased from the MOD, the lease was then sold to Grovewood Securities in approx 1964 for I believe £65000 which answers question 3,
Dad continued to manage the circuit for a further year, leaving that position to continue with his road haulage company.

If of any interest Dad died on November 4th 1978 and is buried at Old Buckenham Hall which was another of our family homes.

Hope this helps.

Robin Sears

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When I first met Robin 5 or 6 years ago he had no knowledge of the three race meetings at Fersfield that pre dated Snetterton and had never heard of either John or Ben Wyatt, the two men that I had been told in 1979 had put up the money for Snetterton. The reason for Oliver Sear managing the venue was because he ran a good drinking house, had an interest in motor sport and was liked by everyone. His arrangement with the Wyatt's (known as Hamblyn Marsh) was short lived and I believe he borrowed money from his family to buy the brothers out.
L.T

#6 carrotcruncher

carrotcruncher

• 100 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 15:55

[quote name='Leigh Trevail' date='Oct 22 2012, 19:11' post='5985351']
Dear Robin and Leigh,
can I express my sincere thanks for your efforts in explaining so many things that I simply did not know about Oliver Sear.I have to admit that I had been following several "red herrings"about the gentleman.And i did run the risk of believing some of them.I'm so glad I had the common sense to ask those in the know.
I really ought to know better,having been warned before (by Leigh)that not everything on the web is fact. Your addendum is also very interesting,
thanks again and regards,
carrotcruncher(David)