* * * * - 12 votes

2014 Silly Season [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3397 replies to this topic

#1301 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 3,170 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 15:48

They say that Vitaly Petrov has got a massive 25 million $ sponsorship for next year! If that is true several teams will be looking at him.

Advertisement

#1302 V3TT3L

V3TT3L

• 1,681 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 15:55

Massa has two supporting sponsors covering 50% of Lotus money request.

#1303 Anja

Anja

• 497 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 16:08

They say that Vitaly Petrov has got a massive 25 million $ sponsorship for next year! If that is true several teams will be looking at him.

Which teams are we talking about? Does anyone think that he's got a chance for a seat in let's say Force India, or is it rather Marussia?

#1304 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,202 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 16:16

Massa has two supporting sponsors covering 50% of Lotus money request.

who are they??? FIAT and Petrobras?? i heard somewhere that santander brazil might also come to Felipe baby's aid. 

#1305 V3TT3L

V3TT3L

• 1,681 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 16:38

who are they??? FIAT and Petrobras?? i heard somewhere that santander brazil might also come to Felipe baby's aid. 

It wasn't mentioned.

#1306 Tron

Tron

• 614 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 16:50

I can't imagine Fiat sponsoring a main competitor of Ferrari, named Lotus and powered by Renualt...

#1307 jals99

jals99

• 778 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 17:45

Not true. Vitaly does not have such money. This false rumour was spread by his former manager.

#1308 Raven8

Raven8

• 705 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 17:50

http://www.f1reports...or-2014-mclaren

Hulkenberg to heavy for McLaren?

Is he going to replace  di Resta at FI?

#1309 luispaulob

luispaulob

• 80 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 17:52

Rumor is that Petrobras, Itaipava (through TNT energy drink) and Renault Brasil are with Felipe.

#1310 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,202 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 17:54

Rumor is that Petrobras, Itaipava (through TNT energy drink) and Renault Brasil are with Felipe.

it seems, what ever Felipe baby's driving ability is, he sure can sell bucket load of cars  :p

#1311 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,202 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 17:57

Is he going to replace  di Resta at FI?

i always question the credibility of those 'Journalists' that reports a certain team will not take a driver for his weight or butt size :o 

#1312 V3TT3L

V3TT3L

• 1,681 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 18:06

i always question the credibility of those 'Journalists' that reports a certain team will not take a driver for his weight or butt size :o

Well, its a fact that Hulkenberg is as tall as Jenson, but has big foot.

Also that Heikki Kovalainen forehead blocks the air scope, so his cars are always underpowered.  :p

#1313 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope
  • Writer of 2013's Best Opening Post

• 6,928 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 18:10

With all this discussion on the size of Hulkenberg, there's a good joke about why they call it a cock pit here somewhere, but I can't figure out what it is.

#1314 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,202 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 18:10

Well, its a fact that Hulkenberg is as tall as Jenson, but has big foot.

Also that Heikki Kovalainen forehead blocks the air scope, so his cars are always underpowered.  :p

and from next season, we can add DR's butt size as the cause of his KERS failure  :p

#1315 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,206 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 18:19

According to that article Hulkenberg weighs 74 kg.

Jenson Button weighs 72 kg. Those 2 kgs will sure make a lot of difference in a car that weighs 690 kg without fuel  :D

#1316 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 19:11

Any difference matters. But why should they want Hülkenberg when they got Perez??

I think Hülkenberg will be out of F1. Massa brings money and experience and should get the Lotus seat. FI has the great Paul diResta and could use a second driver with some sponsor money. Sauber won´t touch Hülkenberg with a pole.

#1317 David Lightman

David Lightman

• 337 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 19:21

Perhaps Force India should have a third driver ready to replace DiResta for the second part of each season when he starts driving like my grandmother.

#1318 No brain no pain

No brain no pain

• 162 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 22:29

That's correct. The amunt is about EURO 25 millions though. He can choose between several teams.

#1319 Tron

Tron

• 614 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 22:32

I think Hülkenberg will be out of F1. Massa brings money and experience and should get the Lotus seat. FI has the great Paul diResta and could use a second driver with some sponsor money. Sauber won´t touch Hülkenberg with a pole.

But Boullier last week said he doesn't want pay drivers? If Massa to Lotus happens, it will dry up Boullier's credibility...

Advertisement

#1320 Owen

Owen

• 10,423 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 22:39

@tgruener: #F1 McLaren tries to get Kevin Magnussen a Force India seat. Here's how that might work out... AMuS (in German): http://t.co/TOc20jV7y6

#1321 saudoso

saudoso

• 4,577 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 22:40

Precious.

RG is a pay driver.

#1322 Anja

Anja

• 497 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 23:21

@tgruener: #F1 McLaren tries to get Kevin Magnussen a Force India seat. Here's how that might work out... AMuS (in German): http://t.co/TOc20jV7y6

Sounds reasonable, but with so many other drivers available (with or without money) on the market I doubt that it's going to happen.

#1323 Raven8

Raven8

• 705 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 23:29

Any difference matters. But why should they want Hülkenberg when they got Perez??

There are some rumors ( James Allen, Gerry Anderson etc) McLaren isn't really happy with Perez

At one on his recent  comments Allen said some of the McLaren guys said with Hamilton still there, they would have had at least a podium so far. Alledgedly some of the engineers alledgedly are not really happy with the driver(s). Don't know if this is true, but it looks like Perez is not the driver they have thought he would be

#1324 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 6,928 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 23:38

I would really like to see this whole shitshow of big teams farming out junior drivers thing come to an end. Sometimes it is mutually beneficial and it's certainly not a new thing in F1 but with this and technical agreements it starts to feel like there's only four or five teams on the grid anymore. Say what you want about Toro Rosso but if you want a farm team that's the way to do it.

#1325 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 3,170 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 23:41

McLaren should look at themselves why they don't perform instead of blaming their drivers. I also find it strange that a driver who scores two 2nd places and one 3rd place in a Sauber (a midfield team) one year later is considered to be useless by many people on this forum. I personally rate Jenson Button very highly and Perez has never been far behind and sometimes even ahead of Button this year, often they are driving behind each other in the race. Perez more or less matched a former world champion, I don't think he has been driving bad at all. There is absolutely no reason to replace him.

#1326 Raven8

Raven8

• 705 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 23:57

McLaren should look at themselves why they don't perform instead of blaming their drivers. I also find it strange that a driver who scores two 2nd places and one 3rd place in a Sauber (a midfield team) one year later is considered to be useless by many people on this forum. I personally rate Jenson Button very highly and Perez has never been far behind and sometimes even ahead of Button this year, often they are driving behind each other in the race. Perez more or less matched a former world champion, I don't think he has been driving bad at all. There is absolutely no reason to replace him.

Maybe the McLaren staff knows better than us, if the driver(s) underperform or not. Maybe the car isn't that bad,  just a little tricky to handle. Whatever there is still no anouncement from Perez for next year. Even with Button they seemed to have taken a long time to decide. Don't forget Saubers advantage was, it was easier on the tyres than other cars, and Perez got his good results with  different strategies, wich don't work this year  at McLaren.

Personally I would go with 2 new drivers for McLaren and a new team principal , too. It can't get much worse, and the new guys would have one transition year before 2015, wich  will be more important for McLaren than next season

#1327 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 6,928 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 00:08

Perez is a weird deal. He capitalized a lot in his first couple seasons with contrarian strategies that worked out perfectly (and that doesn't make them any less legitimate than if he had been 3rd fastest all weekend), but he built up this reputation of someone raring to go for a chance with a big team. Then he got it this year. It hasn't helped him that McLaren have built a bit of a dog this year, and as far as points scored he's not doing a bad job given the circumstances. But instead of continuing to impress like he did with Sauber, it sems like his good qualities are levelling off and his bad qualities are dropping even further. Maldonado and Grosjean have both improved tremendously this year, while Perez seems to be stepping on someone's feet every other race and refusing to shoulder any blame in the incidents he's been involved in.

In short, he's gone from promising youngster to a bit of a punk. It doesn't help that he seemed to fade immediately after getting the McLaren deal last year.

#1328 BillBald

BillBald

• 3,342 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 00:45

There are some rumors ( James Allen, Gerry Anderson etc) McLaren isn't really happy with Perez

At one on his recent  comments Allen said some of the McLaren guys said with Hamilton still there, they would have had at least a podium so far. Alledgedly some of the engineers alledgedly are not really happy with the driver(s). Don't know if this is true, but it looks like Perez is not the driver they have thought he would be

How often do you hear people saying it's all their own fault?

The reason why Lewis is not still there, is because the McLaren guys kept messing up. And they've done it this year again, first by producing a car which doesn't work too well, and also by making mistakes in pitstops and strategies.

#1329 Tron

Tron

• 614 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:20

Another driver that seems to have a bit of pace and risks to be forgotten is Charles Pic. He really moved to a car with just a different paint scheme, and there's another weakness in F1 these days, Caterham and Marussia.

Both teams totally useless in allowing young drivers to showcase their worth. Sure Minardi for most of it's life owned the grid's rear, but somehow managed to scrap a point here and there, including 7th and 8th place finishes when points were only awarded to the top 6, and that managed to display the potential of their young drivers, with Alonso, Trulli and Webber being it's last gifts to F1.

Then further up we had Jordan (Prior the 2000's decline), a level up in farming talent, and that's seriously missing in F1 today, as the midfield teams are bringing in pay drivers and keeping them for an eternity...

#1330 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 6,928 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:23

It's the reliability, mang. Take this era's reliability and apply it to 2000ish Minardi and they wouldn't have scored any points either.

#1331 nomi

nomi

• 288 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:06

With the Mexico GP coming very soon i can't see Perez not being signed again by McLaren.

This is just tactic by McLaren to try and get some genuine Mexican sponsorship $ that's all.

#1332 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:09

In the backmarker cars, a driver could shine, if he beats his team mate by a clear margin in most races, shows good race craft and maybe pushes the car into Q2 or even Q1 in the wet. But to impress being good is not enough any more in F1. you need to be outstanding. But this problem is being faced by all drivers outside the top teams. The average quality of drivers in F1 has become so high, only an "alien" can make a difference.

Magnussen and diResta at FI would be a great team. :up:

I also hope Perez gets another chance, he has the potential to shine. :up:

#1333 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 1,365 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:18

The component in laptime for a driver is less than before. You could really gain a second as a driver without driver aids and an engineer telling you how to take a corner during the race.

I just can't believe Petrov has 25m to his name. Didn't his past 'investors' stopped paying and so he lost his drive?

Perez isn't really performing too well since he is signed at McLaren last year. If that was the pairing last year, how does that make McLaren look (i.e. without the Hamilton results)?

Except Red Bull and Ferrari, it is open season with the driver contracts.

#1334 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,656 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:22

It can't get much worse,

We were talking that about Williams since 2005 and it was getting worse and worse still. :p

Edited by Anderis, 02 October 2013 - 08:23.

#1335 Hans V

Hans V

• 335 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:54

I’d say of the top – and midfield teams McLaren probably has got the weakest line-up. Button may have marginally outscored Hamilton in their years together, but I believe he was consistently slower, Hamilton made more mistakes by trying a lot harder and had a few more technical DNFs (harder on the equipment?). Button can be brilliant but not very often and the trouble with him is that you really don’t know if he’s got the best out of the car. Not being pushed by Lewis has pabably made him even more complacent this year. As for Perez, who can be fast fast, but not extremely and certainly not consistently, was just a bad decision that the McLaren marketing department has to be responsible for. Now is time for damage limitation. The problem is that no top drivers are available and no one would probably go to McLaren if they were. Despite their fantastic facilities there are question marks over their ability to build a great chassis (too complex organizational structure?). Next year will be their last with Merc. I’m sure Mercedes will be quite reticent with technical information regarding engines etc., so they will probably be Mercedes’ no. 4 team.  2015 is the first year with Honda, which could also be challenging. For top-drawer drivers like an Alonso or a Vettel McLaren for the next two years might not be very appealing. But they still are McLaren and will always strike back. If I were Martin Whitmarsh, and money wasn’t an object I’d sign Hulkenberg on a five year contract, Button on a one year extension for continuity - and replace him with Kvein Magnussen in 2015 (after he’s trained at Force India or Marussia for a year).  

#1336 Nustang70

Nustang70

• 2,355 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:26

There have been a handful of races this year where the lead McLaren has been within 15 or 20 seconds of 3rd place.  Button has generally matched or outpaced Perez, and Hamilton on a good day could (and has) finished 15 or 20 seconds (or more) ahead of Button, so a podium this year with Hamilton seems like it would have been possible.  

#1337 Module

Module

• 589 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:43

I personally rate Jenson Button very highly and Perez has never been far behind and sometimes even ahead of Button this year, often they are driving behind each other in the race. Perez more or less matched a former world champion, I don't think he has been driving bad at all. There is absolutely no reason to replace him.

I think the problem with Perez is that he starts to look as if he is just as good in some areas as Button but not excelling in even one. If you go by cliches in this forum speed is inheritant and reliability and racecraft can be learnt. I think McLaren wanted a faster driver than Button and were prepared to accept the lack in racecraft due to experience, one that could show the true pace of the car even if not bringing as many points as Button.

Another cliche is that you loose one lap pace with age but gain racecraft. If you look at it that way it means that Perez wouldn't be as fast as Button at the point he has gained his racecraft. If you look at other top teams you can ofcourse disregard merc and ferrari because both have experienced drivers but Lotus and RBR. RBR came out and said that Ricciardo was faster than Vettel on one lap. Grosjean is sometimes faster than Kimi. Both lack in racecraft but that will come with time and experience.

As most people wouldn't count Button as the fastest out there and Kimi and Vettel belong to the top 4 it's probably quite unsettling for McLaren to see that their young driver could almost be as good as Button when Lotus and RBR have drivers quick enaugh to be just as good as their teammates. And they don't have anyone to benchmark Button or the car against anymore as Hamilton left.

#1338 sopa

sopa

• 2,706 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:58

I find it disrespectul and unfair that all of Perez podiums are all attributed to the "alternative strategy". Here is newsflash to you - if this strategy of running hard tyre first and soft tyre later is so much better and superior, every team on the grid would use it no doubt.

But it isn't superior, that's why teams don't do it. An alternative strategy always means gamble and most teams don't want to take it, because it may not pay off. Gamble? It will work only in certain situations and driver and team have to perform very well to pull it off. So from me full credit to Perez three podiums in 2012 - he drove superbly to get them. And of course the car was very good too.

But why isn't he delivering at McLaren so far, is a different story and discussion though.

#1339 Module

Module

• 589 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:59

Then further up we had Jordan (Prior the 2000's decline), a level up in farming talent, and that's seriously missing in F1 today, as the midfield teams are bringing in pay drivers and keeping them for an eternity...

I actualy think the situation isn't that bad, people just wan't things to move fast.

Of the top 5 teams 3 have young drivers, Grosjean, Ricciardo and Perez. This year there were 3? new drivers, Bottas, Bianchi and Chilton. Next year da Costa, Sirotkin and maybe Magnussen. There is a lot of new talent coming and growing into top teams, it's just that it takes time and on a forum a month is forewer

Edited by Module, 02 October 2013 - 10:02.

Advertisement

#1340 Owen

Owen

• 10,423 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:30

A good summary of what's going on
http://www.espn.co.u...ory/127283.html

#1341 tkulla

tkulla

• 3,107 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:56

There have been a handful of races this year where the lead McLaren has been within 15 or 20 seconds of 3rd place.  Button has generally matched or outpaced Perez, and Hamilton on a good day could (and has) finished 15 or 20 seconds (or more) ahead of Button, so a podium this year with Hamilton seems like it would have been possible.  

Can we stop it with this nonsense? Button hasn't had a major setup problem like he had last year (tyre temperature issue) - the car is just very limited due to it's poor ride and low downforce. Lewis would have pulled out his two tenths on Jenson in qualifying but in the race they'd be running together at the same pace. Their three years showed that they have very similar (and excellent) race pace unless one of them had a setup or mechanical problem.

As for the silly season, I'm hoping Perez doesn't continue at McLaren. Nothing against him - he's a solid driver and seems like a nice kid, but he's not going to beat Button. A better car would likely mean he'd be farther behind. Alonso would be very interesting, but I don't see that happening. McLaren doesn't need Massa's money, so Hulkenberg would be the most likely candidate. Or they are really convinced by the raw pace of Magnussen they could give him a learning year on the job. He probably would do as good a job as Perez as far as points scoring (which is to say, not nearly as good as Button) but could show that turn of speed that they're looking for from the other driver.

Edit: added second paragraph

Edited by tkulla, 02 October 2013 - 13:35.

#1342 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 2,542 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 14:39

I think Perez does a good job. He is fast as Button (in Singapore he was close at the finish and could even drive faster), he has some good overtakings (I don't think the cristicism of his style of driving is right in the most cases). 

And a word to Pic: I think is not that bad, but in the second half of the season, Van der Garde is often on the level from Pic or faster. That's not good for Pic. 

#1343 No brain no pain

No brain no pain

• 162 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 15:21

I’d say of the top – and midfield teams McLaren probably has got the weakest line-up. Button may have marginally outscored Hamilton in their years together, but I believe he was consistently slower, Hamilton made more mistakes by trying a lot harder and had a few more technical DNFs (harder on the equipment?). Button can be brilliant but not very often and the trouble with him is that you really don’t know if he’s got the best out of the car. Not being pushed by Lewis has pabably made him even more complacent this year. As for Perez, who can be fast fast, but not extremely and certainly not consistently, was just a bad decision that the McLaren marketing department has to be responsible for. Now is time for damage limitation. The problem is that no top drivers are available and no one would probably go to McLaren if they were. Despite their fantastic facilities there are question marks over their ability to build a great chassis (too complex organizational structure?). Next year will be their last with Merc. I’m sure Mercedes will be quite reticent with technical information regarding engines etc., so they will probably be Mercedes’ no. 4 team.  2015 is the first year with Honda, which could also be challenging. For top-drawer drivers like an Alonso or a Vettel McLaren for the next two years might not be very appealing. But they still are McLaren and will always strike back. If I were Martin Whitmarsh, and money wasn’t an object I’d sign Hulkenberg on a five year contract, Button on a one year extension for continuity - and replace him with Kvein Magnussen in 2015 (after he’s trained at Force India or Marussia for a year).  

I agree with you in all aspects, Perez was McL's 2th choice for the drive. McL wanted Kimi back then, but they couldn't agree termes with him, particularly when it came down to his obligations to do all the McL commercial stuff which was demanded . I do still believe that ALO might go to McL for 2014. Perez do have some probs with late paying from his sponsors as well.

#1344 rjsports

rjsports

• 118 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 15:24

I think McLaren will keep Perez for this year, and let them work on the 2014 car. They want to give Magnussen a seat and when that happens I can see him replacing Perez in 2015. Magnussen has driven for them in 2 Young Driver Tests so they probably know what he's capable of. Put that's just my thought on the case.

#1345 No brain no pain

No brain no pain

• 162 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 15:29

Hülkenberg has a very bright future ahead of him in F1.

#1346 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,039 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 16:14

Hülkenberg has a very bright future ahead of him in F1.

Hard to have a bright future when no team seems to want him.

#1347 rasul

rasul

• 955 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 16:20

Hard to have a bright future when no team seems to want him.

Exactly. He doesn't bring money, so small teams aren't interested in him. It's unknown whether he's a top driver material, or just a solid second driver, so top teams aren't interested enough to take a gamble, especially considering that all top teams already have WDCs. I see good top seats becoming available only when Button/Kimi/Alonso retire, but by that time Hulk might not even be in F1. 

#1348 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 2,542 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 16:20

No team? I think he will race at Lotus, Ferrari confirmed that he was a strong contender for Massa's seat, Sauber would like to retain him, I think there is also a chance for a return at Force India. 

#1349 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,039 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 16:48

No team? I think he will race at Lotus, Ferrari confirmed that he was a strong contender for Massa's seat, Sauber would like to retain him, I think there is also a chance for a return at Force India. 

Which is still no team. If a top team wanted him - actually wanted him not just being a back-up - he would be signed by now. The rest of the seats available seem to want funding, and unless Hulkenberg gets some or Lotus makes a real financial agreement with someone, no team will be able to consider him.

#1350 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,202 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:55

Bianchi: I am very happy to confirm I will stay with Marussia in 2014

http://grandprix247....russia-in-2014/

Bianchi said, “I am very happy to be able to confirm that I will stay with the Marussia F1 Team in 2014. I couldn’t have wished for a more supportive environment in which to make my F1 debut and from the very beginning I have always felt completely at home with the Team''
john booth  “He rose to the challenge of his debut season exceptionally well and since that time has clearly demonstrated his ability and potential. 2014 heralds a new era for the sport and continuity and consistency of line-up will be important in helping us to navigate the transition”

Edited by eronrules, 03 October 2013 - 05:57.