* * * * - 12 votes

2014 Silly Season [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3397 replies to this topic

#1351 Raven8

Raven8

• 705 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:14

Can we stop it with this nonsense? Button hasn't had a major setup problem like he had last year (tyre temperature issue) - the car is just very limited due to it's poor ride and low downforce. Lewis would have pulled out his two tenths on Jenson in qualifying but in the race they'd be running together at the same pace. Their three years showed that they have very similar (and excellent) race pace unless one of them had a setup or mechanical problem.

As for the silly season, I'm hoping Perez doesn't continue at McLaren. Nothing against him - he's a solid driver and seems like a nice kid, but he's not going to beat Button. A better car would likely mean he'd be farther behind. Alonso would be very interesting, but I don't see that happening. McLaren doesn't need Massa's money, so Hulkenberg would be the most likely candidate. Or they are really convinced by the raw pace of Magnussen they could give him a learning year on the job. He probably would do as good a job as Perez as far as points scoring (which is to say, not nearly as good as Button) but could show that turn of speed that they're looking for from the other driver.

Edit: added second paragraph

It obviously cames from inside McLaren that they aren't really happy with driver performance

Advertisement

#1352 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 2,597 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:06

Holding pattern for Bianchi. I think he wants to wait for Button, Kimi etc. to go before taking a risk. Going to a midfield team with cash hasn't worked for Hulk, Koba, Sutil. They aren't in top drives.

#1353 Dunc

Dunc

• 436 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:06

And the silly season gets even sillier: https://twitter.com/...682957366591488

It would be good to have someone who's over 40 back on the grid but Rubens?  Seriously?

#1354 Anja

Anja

• 497 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:11

And the silly season gets even sillier: https://twitter.com/...682957366591488

It would be good to have someone who's over 40 back on the grid but Rubens?  Seriously?

I'm still waiting for Lotus to bring Prost back from retirement.

Edited by Anja, 03 October 2013 - 09:36.

#1355 Junky

Junky

• 272 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:44

Bianchi stay in Marussia for 2014.

#1356 swerved

swerved

• 3,597 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:43

Yeah, and no word on BACS Chilton yet.

#1357 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 19,939 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:46

This thread is not the place to discuss McLaren's management nor is it a place to discuss their drivers' performance.

#1358 Tron

Tron

• 614 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:56

Could be confirmation of Ferrari perhaps turning Marussia into a second Sauber?

This can only mean good for Marussia to finally nibble at the midfield.

However Chilton remains in limbo, and I wonder if Ferrari will dare to get another of their academy drivers, sponsored up, and put him alongside Bianchi?

#1359 rasul

rasul

• 955 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 13:00

So apparently Helmut Marko said that he doesn't believe Alonso will drive for Ferrari next year. 

Advertisement

#1360 Tron

Tron

• 614 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 13:10

So apparently Helmut Marko said that he doesn't believe Alonso will drive for Ferrari next year. 

He's just trying to mentally distract the Ferrari camp.

#1361 rasul

rasul

• 955 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 13:13

He's just trying to mentally distract the Ferrari camp.

What is there to distract from? :D  It's not like Ferrari is much of a threat to RB. 

#1362 katmen

katmen

• 570 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 13:13

Could be confirmation of Ferrari perhaps turning Marussia into a second Sauber?

This can only mean good for Marussia to finally nibble at the midfield.

However Chilton remains in limbo, and I wonder if Ferrari will dare to get another of their academy drivers, sponsored up, and put him alongside Bianchi?

I would say, that Petrov in marussia with a huge budget is possible, if no midfield team not grab him.

#1363 Tron

Tron

• 614 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 13:16

What is there to distract from? :D  It's not like Ferrari is much of a threat to RB. 

True, but there's still that outside chance and Marko might as well rub salt in the wounds.  ;)

Also, I don't see Alonso leaving this year, unless with the outside chance he wins this year's title, and then "might" consider it as a sign to wrap up his Ferrari career.

As well Marko's words don't make sense with Alonso's recent words of love for Ferrari...

Then again... this morning Gazzetta reported a secret meeting between Alonso and LDM???

Edited by Tron, 03 October 2013 - 13:18.

#1364 Tron

Tron

• 614 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 13:23

But lets say Alonso goes this year...

Where too?

A) A year off while cycling around Europe.

B) McLaren, in place of Perez.

C) At Lotus.

And then who would replace him?

A) Perez.

B) Hulkenberg.

C) Rigoni.

D) Grosjean, one of LDM's hints last year.

E) Kobayashi.

Or, and massive fantastical "OR", Vettel wins this year, wants change, and RB agrees to reward his efforts by giving it to him in a swap with Alonso... ???

So I don't think Ferrari will let Alonso go as there isn't much else on the market, and I believe they really want this dream team to flourish.

#1365 Sonic2k

Sonic2k

• 63 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 13:25

Where did Marko said that?

#1366 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 8,048 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 13:26

Like it or not, the end of the grid teams are and have always been the territory of 'pay drivers', and up and coming talent who needs to be planted somewhere for a season. I know that the 'Pay Driver' moniker can be extended to all drivers, I am talking about a driver getting a seat over a more qualified driver through the size of his / her sponsorship. Petrov in Marussia wouild be through sponsorship and not talent, Bianchi is through talent or at least perceived talent. Sirotkin will be through sponsorship and not talent, Sutil this season was sponsorship and not talent.

All drivers in F1 are very good drivers, there is nothing wrong for a driver to do anything he / she can to advance themselves to a racing seat. I personally see the teams as taking a wrong turn in allowing this, but I am not running a multimillion dollar business, who will need some income to exist.

Petrov is who we think he is, he will get points in a car capable of getting points, but he will not lead a team to more points than the car is capable of.

Di Resta is who we think he is, he will get points in a car capable of getting points, but he will not lead a team to more points than the car is capable of.

Sutil is who we think he is, he will get points in a car capable of getting points, but he will not lead a team to more points than the car is capable of.

Kovalainen is who we think he is, he will get points in a car capable of getting points, but he will not lead a team to more points than the car is capable of.

Sirotkin may be a very good driver in the making, but I can not see any reason that he is racing in F1 next season.

Magnussen may be a very good driver in the making, he should be a driver a team takes a chance on.

Vandoorne may be a very good driver in the making, he should be a driver a team takes a chance on.

da Costa may be a very good driver in the making, and seems that Toro Rosso will appoint him to the second seat at Toro Rosso, this will also validate the level of Vergne.

I no longer have a good feeling about any of the GP2 drivers, seems as if they have managed to make it what F2 was, a series which were bypassed by drivers on route to F1.

:cool:

#1367 rasul

rasul

• 955 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 13:27

Where did Marko said that?

Apparently, to La Gazzetta dello Sport. 

#1368 JohnnySchwaffel

JohnnySchwaffel

• 31 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 13:50

Really really hope Robin Frijns will get a shot for a 2014 seat......

#1369 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 3,156 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 14:52

I think Perez does a good job. He is fast as Button (in Singapore he was close at the finish and could even drive faster), he has some good overtakings (I don't think the cristicism of his style of driving is right in the most cases). 

I agree and Button is also driving very well this year imho. But the biggest problem of Perez, especially on this forum, seems to be that Button is underrated. In don't underrate Button, I think he is one of the best drivers on the grid, but that would explain why Perez gets critisized when he 'only' matches Button or when Button beats him. Plus: Button also has the advantage over Perez that he is much longer with the team.

Edited by William Hunt, 03 October 2013 - 14:53.

#1370 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 1,365 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 15:27

Really really hope Robin Frijns will get a shot for a 2014 seat......

He bumped out Werner, who is a little pre-occupied in getting Hulkenberg off everyone's list and into a seat.

I read one rumour that he might be in the frame at Force India (Mol is still shareholder there).

#1371 Kyo

Kyo

• 785 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 15:36

Sirotkin may be a very good driver in the making, but I can not see any reason that he is racing in F1 next season.

Magnussen may be a very good driver in the making, he should be a driver a team takes a chance on.

Vandoorne may be a very good driver in the making, he should be a driver a team takes a chance on.

da Costa may be a very good driver in the making, and seems that Toro Rosso will appoint him to the second seat at Toro Rosso, this will also validate the level of Vergne.

I no longer have a good feeling about any of the GP2 drivers, seems as if they have managed to make it what F2 was, a series which were bypassed by drivers on route to F1.

I don't see how that is about the talent of GP2 drivers, but much more about how the series is built.

Frijns was champion way ahead of Kevin last year in FR3.5, as he was in FR2.0 when he raced against Vandoorne, still had less points than his teammate in GP2, Lancaster.

Evans and Abt finished ahead of a more experienced da Costa last year in GP3, still look where they are in GP2 now.

Nasr easily beat Magnussen when they were teammates in F3.

Calado was 2nd in his first year at GP3 at the same time da Costa only managed a 13th.

I don't think these drivers simple forgot how to drive as soon as they stepped in GP2.

#1372 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 3,156 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 18:21

GP2 is very tough for rookies since there are so few practice opportunities because it is in the preprogram of F1. For example: qualifying is just half an hour! This gives a huge advantage to more experienced drivers in this Formula. I'm sure Abt will do a lot better next year.

#1373 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 8,048 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 19:21

I don't see how that is about the talent of GP2 drivers, but much more about how the series is built.

Frijns was champion way ahead of Kevin last year in FR3.5, as he was in FR2.0 when he raced against Vandoorne, still had less points than his teammate in GP2, Lancaster.

Evans and Abt finished ahead of a more experienced da Costa last year in GP3, still look where they are in GP2 now.

Nasr easily beat Magnussen when they were teammates in F3.

Calado was 2nd in his first year at GP3 at the same time da Costa only managed a 13th.

I don't think these drivers simple forgot how to drive as soon as they stepped in GP2.

I am not saying that they are talentless hacks, I am saying that I (as in me personally) no longer have a good feeling about them, that GP2 have become the graveyard of good formula drivers, and FR3.5 seems to be taking over as the incubator for the up and coming drivers. I am saying this knowing full well that wining the FR3.5 championship have basically meant nothing to any driver so far, with the possible exception of Kubica.

I give little credence to GP3 and results there, that is once again my personal dislike. I dislike the 'spec series format' most Formula classes have become, I believe that we are losing out as race fans through this and I do not think winning or losing in GP3 means anything.

Nasr did not handle Kevin 'easily' when they were in F3, but he handled him.

Kevin - British F3: Carlin, 2nd,          237 points (7 wins, 8 podiums, 6 pole positions, 8 fastest laps)

Nasr  - British F3: Carlin, Champion, 318 points (7 wins, 15 podiums, 4 pole positions, 8 fastest laps)

Frijns is a genuine talent, who through mis-mangement have placed himself in a position, where he may most likely never make it to F1.

Abt is not and never was anything special, which is also what his career show.

Calado is in F1 with Force India connections.

Evans have reached his ceiling.

#1374 luispaulob

luispaulob

• 80 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 19:54

I am not saying that they are talentless hacks, I am saying that I (as in me personally) no longer have a good feeling about them, that GP2 have become the graveyard of good formula drivers, and FR3.5 seems to be taking over as the incubator for the up and coming drivers. I am saying this knowing full well that wining the FR3.5 championship have basically meant nothing to any driver so far, with the possible exception of Kubica.

I give little credence to GP3 and results there, that is once again my personal dislike. I dislike the 'spec series format' most Formula classes have become, I believe that we are losing out as race fans through this and I do not think winning or losing in GP3 means anything.

Kevin - British F3: Carlin, 2nd,          237 points (7 wins, 8 podiums, 6 pole positions, 8 fastest laps)

Nasr  - British F3: Carlin, Champion, 318 points (7 wins, 15 podiums, 4 pole positions, 8 fastest laps)

Frijns is a genuine talent, who through mis-mangement have placed himself in a position, where he may most likely never make it to F1.

About these Magnussen's and Nasr's numbers in F3.. You should remember that most of the Danish's victories came after Nasr were already crowned champion, which was about 9 races (I think) before the end of the championship.. 

So, Nasr did handled Magnussen quite easily in F3..

That said, Magnussen still deserves a place in F1, so does Nasr..

Edited by luispaulob, 03 October 2013 - 19:54.

#1375 David Lightman

David Lightman

• 337 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 20:56

I genuinely laughed out loud at that, brilliant.

#1376 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,202 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 20:59

BACS  :confused:

#1377 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 1,855 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 21:32

BACS  :confused:

BACS = a UK system for electronic funds transfers. It originally stood for Bankers Automated Clearing Services

#1378 No brain no pain

No brain no pain

• 162 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 21:36

Hard to have a bright future when no team seems to want him.

You are wrong.

#1379 Kyo

Kyo

• 785 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 22:42

Mathematically winning the championship with 6 races to go is exactly what i call easily but we obviously have different views.

Like you said Frijns is a genuine talent, still could not outscore a weak teammate in GP2 which reinforces what I said before, the problem is how they built the series, tyres and regulation, not the drivers.

Abt was never anything special but still manage to beat Magnussen in German F3 and da Cost in GP3, so it is at least curious to say the other 2 are great talents but the first never showed anything special.

I'm not sure what you meant by saying Calado has connections with FI, because if you're saying he is good it again make my argument about being a series problem and not a driver problem stronger.

And Evans have reached his ceiling even though he is younger than any of the drivers you mentioned. Yeah sure.   :rolleyes:

Advertisement

#1380 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 8,048 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 00:25

Mathematically winning the championship with 6 races to go is exactly what i call easily but we obviously have different views.

Like you said Frijns is a genuine talent, still could not outscore a weak teammate in GP2 which reinforces what I said before, the problem is how they built the series, tyres and regulation, not the drivers.

Abt was never anything special but still manage to beat Magnussen in German F3 and da Cost in GP3, so it is at least curious to say the other 2 are great talents but the first never showed anything special.

I'm not sure what you meant by saying Calado has connections with FI, because if you're saying he is good it again make my argument about being a series problem and not a driver problem stronger.

And Evans have reached his ceiling even though he is younger than any of the drivers you mentioned. Yeah sure.   :rolleyes:

I agree to disagree.

#1381 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 2,399 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:05

According to Mark Hughes from Sky Sports, McLaren still want Fernando Alonso for 2014. #F1 #Formula1

Mark Hughes: "A credible source told me that McLaren are still working hard to get him in their 2014 car."

#1382 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,798 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:16

According to Mark Hughes from Sky Sports, McLaren still want Fernando Alonso for 2014. #F1 #Formula1

Mark Hughes: "A credible source told me that McLaren are still working hard to get him in their 2014 car."

interesting times ahead as Helmut Marko said he is hearing Alonso will not be at Ferrari next year, hopefully he will stay. Alonso was seeing having private talk with Montezemolo but he said it was only about car updates, which seem a bit odd.

#1383 Tron

Tron

• 614 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:38

interesting times ahead as Helmut Marko said he is hearing Alonso will not be at Ferrari next year, hopefully he will stay. Alonso was seeing having private talk with Montezemolo but he said it was only about car updates, which seem a bit odd.

Total invention. Alonso said to Gazzetta and Autosprint that the private meeting with LDM was about preparing for 2014 with Ferrari.

Journalists purely riding off Kimi's return.

#1384 Tron

Tron

• 614 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:41

Good luck. Not going to happen.

Even Hulkenberg said the McLaren seat is impossible as it still belongs to Perez.

#1385 K-One

K-One

• 5,908 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:41

http://www1.skysport...the-2014-season

Mclaren continues to lure Alonso from Ferrari. Hulkster to Ferrari after all?

#1386 Tron

Tron

• 614 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:46

Didn't Mark Hughes say Kimi back to Ferrari wasn't going to Happen?

Only one man can provide us with reliable info on this story... Pekka!!! :smoking:

#1387 DrF

DrF

• 1,392 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:47

But lets say Alonso goes this year...

Where too?

A) A year off while cycling around Europe.

B) McLaren, in place of Perez.

C) At Lotus.

And then who would replace him?

A) Perez.

B) Hulkenberg.

C) Rigoni.

D) Grosjean, one of LDM's hints last year.

E) Kobayashi.

Or, and massive fantastical "OR", Vettel wins this year, wants change, and RB agrees to reward his efforts by giving it to him in a swap with Alonso... ???

So I don't think Ferrari will let Alonso go as there isn't much else on the market, and I believe they really want this dream team to flourish.

Given the response he gave when asked if he thought Red Bull are using Traction Control, it seems he still has an eye on a seat there.

Swap with Vettel is my guess. 

#1388 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 1,365 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:57

Frijns had less races than Lancaster in the Hilmer car. Even so, the first weekend without him was a disaster and Frijns has been let down by the team more than once during slow pitstops, which messed up his on-track advantage. It costed him dearly in his last two races. He also had a failed suspension and a failed gearbox in his races. It is hard to score points when your car isn't able to finish. And now, the tire rules and reversed grid make a mockery of the GP2 racing as well.

I don't see Alonso @ McLaren for 2014. They can beter spend the 30 odd million of buying his contract off in developing the car.

#1389 Yoshi

Yoshi

• 922 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:17

This sounds so crazy. Looking forward what will happen in that case.

#1390 No brain no pain

No brain no pain

• 162 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:28

Didn't Mark Hughes say Kimi back to Ferrari wasn't going to Happen?

Only one man can provide us with reliable info on this story... Pekka!!! :smoking:

I was the first to confirm here that Kimi would go to Ferrari from 2014 onwards. Alonso has fallen out with the top brass at Ferrari, and Hülkenberg is a very possible new driver along with Kimi in SF from 2014. I'm not Pekka, but I know persons in "The Piranha Club" very well. The F1 car from 2014 will be a very demanding car to drive and the cars might be more equal than ever at least for the first half of the 2014 season. The two Danish drivers Kevin Magnussen and  Marco Sørensen are both coming from a very tough one-make-series, and  are both highly regarded and sought after. Alex Costa in at Toro Rosso along with Jean-Eric Vergne. Both Costa and Vergne have done very well in one-make.series'. Petrov will most posible get a seat for 2014, but I'm very much in doubt about the "Sauber-adventure" with Sirotkin.The money behind Sirotkin do ot "belong" to his father, but to Russia, and President Putin is the man who decides which driver(s) from Russia that will be in Formula 1 from 2014 onwards. But I'm 100% sure that there will be at least one Russian F1-driver from 2014.

#1391 LionAlex

LionAlex

• 28 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:03

I was the first to confirm here that Kimi would go to Ferrari from 2014 onwards. Alonso has fallen out with the top brass at Ferrari, and Hülkenberg is a very possible new driver along with Kimi in SF from 2014. I'm not Pekka, but I know persons in "The Piranha Club" very well. The F1 car from 2014 will be a very demanding car to drive and the cars might be more equal than ever at least for the first half of the 2014 season. The two Danish drivers Kevin Magnussen and  Marco Sørensen are both coming from a very tough one-make-series, and  are both highly regarded and sought after. Alex Costa in at Toro Rosso along with Jean-Eric Vergne. Both Costa and Vergne have done very well in one-make.series'. Petrov will most posible get a seat for 2014, but I'm very much in doubt about the "Sauber-adventure" with Sirotkin.The money behind Sirotkin do ot "belong" to his father, but to Russia, and President Putin is the man who decides which driver(s) from Russia that will be in Formula 1 from 2014 onwards. But I'm 100% sure that there will be at least one Russian F1-driver from 2014.

Good news for me about Petrov :)

Is it rumours or something more?

#1392 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,842 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:23

But I'm 100% sure that there will be at least one Russian F1-driver from 2014.

Hope its Kyvat then!

#1393 LionAlex

LionAlex

• 28 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:35

Hope its Kyvat then!

Kvyat will be third Russian at starting grid :)

As I know, Kvyat isn't supported by Russian goverment and he's carier depends entirely on Dr.Marko.

#1394 Arcadi

Arcadi

• 28 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:38

Honda likes Alonso's Latin side because it reminds them of Senna. That's all they're trying to emulate.

Too bad we're in 2013 and not in the 1980s anymore. The legend was back then, not in this day and age.

#1395 Miggeex

Miggeex

• 455 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:26

I just think that Sky Sports came to a conclusion that the silly-season ended too soon and they had to come up with something.

#1396 metz

metz

• 9,696 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:48

So, Today Sauber extended the Ferrari engine deal.
Can a Massa announcement be far behind?

#1397 swerved

swerved

• 3,597 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:59

I genuinely laughed out loud at that, brilliant.

Thanks, glad someone appreciated it  :D

Eon, a fast way of transferring lots of money was my thinking. :D

#1398 Steve99

Steve99

• 69 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 14:22

Wow! Some serious conjecture there! I would remin you that Putin doesn't run Sauber.

#1399 Tron

Tron

• 614 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 14:22

Not to doubt you, but already last year, I and few others, guessed Kimi would return evantually. I got tortured at Scuderia.net for that, and yet I know no one in F1 like everyone else that guessed that move.

So what I'm saying is, it's fair and wonderful claiming you know the Piranha club (Nice name BTW), but to make such a committed comment, you need to reveal yourself and your sources, otherwise it's pretty much a guess.

As well, before Pekka even mentioned Kimi's return, Autosprint already hinted at that on the eve of "Alonso wanting to leave" rumour, and there were a few others (officially involved in the sport) that also suggested it before Pekka.

Pekka was just the first one (?) to confirm it.

Advertisement

#1400 Tron

Tron

• 614 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 14:24

So, Today Sauber extended the Ferrari engine deal.
Can a Massa announcement be far behind?

Doubt it. The Russian connection is Sauber's lifeline, and alongside the 18 year old kid, they'll want a young expereinced points getter who isn't as expensive as Massa.

Also Massa said many times, it's either a top team, or retirement.