* * * * - 12 votes

2014 Silly Season [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3397 replies to this topic

#251 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,224 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:05

PDVSA is not concenred about throwing 20 odd millions on an F1 team that is touring the world showing their name , its business is in billions

how do you know??? a team that is doing well at the front of the grid is always given more TV time than that of a back marker. that's how FOM works. have you seen williams lately on coverage??? apart from maldonado crashing or bottas helmet cam??? now compare that to the amount of time we see black-gold lotus or red ferrari.

getting enough TV time is the reason why slower teams send their cars early on a green track or in wet condition. do you think they like the work of a sweeper??? also, if PDVSA was just satisfied with their name plastered on a corener of an f1 car, then why bother paying 20+mil for maldonado??? they also have PDVSA logo on Marussia too.

Advertisement

#252 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 2,715 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:42

There is one thing Pastor is that Romain isn't - a winner.

Maldonado proved he could hold his cool in the lead against Alonso. Grosjean has been a distant 2nd to Raikkonen the few times he was on the podium, except Canada.

I can't see any disadvantages swapping out Romain for Pastor. Romain isn't ever going to be a team leader, Pastor certainly was one last year.

#253 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,518 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 19:05

I definitely see the logic in going for Pastor for Romain's place, very similar driver (occasionally quick, erratic, crash prone) but with the extra of bringing in a billion million trillion dollars. Like for like but with profit, makes perfect sense, particularly for a team with dubious finances.

What I can't see is them hoping Pastor replaces Kimi as a lead driver, and retaining Romain next to him (or Romain becoming the leader next to Pastor). That doesn't make a lot of sense - as far as I'm aware Romain doesn't bring money and his performance has been a little disappointing. So if they're keeping a non-paydriver, why not go for as much performance as they can, as much as I like Romain others are available? Hint: for example, a certain German driver currently stuck in the midfield...

So I could easily see Williams' 2010 lineup reunited in Lotus for 2014...

Edited by noikeee, 08 June 2013 - 19:05.

#254 Zava

Zava

• 4,981 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 19:08

I definitely see the logic in going for Pastor for Romain's place, very similar driver (occasionally quick, erratic, crash prone) but with the extra of bringing in a billion million trillion dollars. Like for like but with profit, makes perfect sense, particularly for a team with dubious finances.

What I can't see is them hoping Pastor replaces Kimi as a lead driver, and retaining Romain next to him (or Romain becoming the leader next to Pastor). That doesn't make a lot of sense - as far as I'm aware Romain doesn't bring money and his performance has been a little disappointing. So if they're keeping a non-paydriver, why not go for as much performance as they can, as much as I like Romain others are available? Hint: for example, a certain German driver currently stuck in the midfield...

So I could easily see Williams' 2010 lineup reunited in Lotus for 2014...

you mean 2009 gp2 Art lineup? :p
yeah, if Kimi is off to red bull, and the Pastor rumour is indeed true, that seems as the most logical step.

#255 KavB

KavB

• 1,079 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 19:08

Barrichello was at Williams in 2010! But yes, if Raikkonen leaves they should replace Grosjean as well and go for Maldonado and Hulkenberg.

#256 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 19:45

Latest headline: Rosberg is heading to Ferrari; this is going to be fun year.

#257 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,661 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 19:48

Latest headline: Rosberg is heading to Ferrari; this is going to be fun year.

Seriously, where'd you read that?

#258 charly0418

charly0418

• 1,203 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 19:50

The midfield drivers are fighting for both spots at Lotus

I absolutely love the fight going on.

Think about all the candidates for a Lotus drive next year:
- Valsecchi (I think he'll replace Grosjean before the Spa break)
- Di Resta
- Maldonado
- Sutil
- Hulkenberg

#259 V3TT3L

V3TT3L

• 1,681 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 19:59

Just heard that Groos contract is renewed every 3 races. :confused:
Can anyone confirm that, please ?

Advertisement

#260 Yoshi

Yoshi

• 929 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 20:04

Seriously, where'd you read that?

I guess from here - http://grandprix247....en-to-red-bull/

#261 sopa

sopa

• 2,880 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 20:05

- Di Resta
- Maldonado
- Sutil
- Hulkenberg

Perhaps you can add Kovalainen and Bottas too. Maybe even Kobayashi.
Massa could be interested in Lotus if he gets booted from Ferrari.

#262 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,665 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 20:06

Can PDVSA get out of their contract with Williams through some performance (or other) clauses?

If not, I can't see Maldonado going to Lotus. PDVSA has a deal with Williams until 2015. I don't think they will sign another big deal with other team and I can't see Lotus taking Maldonado without that much backing, while Pastor is currently being outperformed by his team-mate.

#263 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,518 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 20:11

you mean 2009 gp2 Art lineup? :p

Barrichello was at Williams in 2010!

Oops... my memory played tricks on me there.

Possibly Webber too on a straight swap if Kimi gets his seat - would make sense, but only if Webber doesn't have a contract in place with Porsche already and wants to stay in F1.

#264 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,661 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 20:18

I guess from here - http://grandprix247....en-to-red-bull/

Yeah, fantastic. Boullier has to be masochist. Maldonado for Grosjean?

#265 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 2,715 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 00:09

Barrichello was at Williams in 2010! But yes, if Raikkonen leaves they should replace Grosjean as well and go for Maldonado and Hulkenberg.

What I expect too.

GRO just failed in Q1. His days are numbered.

#266 intelligentsia

intelligentsia

• 2,357 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 00:35

Given the more than horrendous debt numbers that were known about Lotus just a few days ago, money would be a very, very good reason to sign Maldonado

---------------------------------------

On the Räikkönen to Red Bull rumours, this week's Autosport magazine cover is, literally, "Red Bull: we want Kimi. Raikkonen favourite to replace Webber"
Inside the magazine, both, Charles Bradley's editorial and Edd Straw's feature article state (they don't suggest, there are no conditional tenses) Räikkönen is the leading name in the team's wishes for next year. Webber and Ricciardo should also be in the list but behind Räikkönen. As previously reported in some other sites, Autosport also suggest Webber's behaviour during the race in Brazil last year is one of the main things playing against him.

The strange thing is there is no new quotes and nothing new has been said or added about Kimi going to Red Bull. So I found it surprising that Autosport did such a huge article with a front page on this story. Even Vettel didn't sound quite positive about this prospect earlier in the week.
I personally still cant really see why Kimi would want to go to Red Bull.

#267 Sith

Sith

• 1,306 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 02:12

Kimi is off to Red Bull, Maldonardo (35m) & Kobyashi (10m) will be at Lotus next year... You heard it 1st!

#268 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 3,114 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:12

To drive a possible championship winning car in a big budget team maybe.

#269 Anja

Anja

• 501 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:25

The question is, would Lotus be interested in Massa? I'd love to see Kobayashi in Lotus though.

Edited by Anja, 09 June 2013 - 09:26.

#270 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 2,715 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:43

My crazy prediction:

Ferrari - 1. Alonso - 2. Rosberg - Rosberg is readied to take over #1 duties when FA retires.

Red Bull - 1. Vettel - 2. Raikkonen - Raikkonen is coaxed by RBR, proceeds to beat Vettel easily. :p

McLaren - 1. Perez - 2. Button - Stays the same.

Mercedes - 1. Hamilton - 2. Sutil / Hulkenberg / Di Resta - One of these guys replaces the departing Rosberg.

Lotus - 1. Hulkenberg / Massa / Webber - 2. Kobayashi / Maldonado / Bottas / etc. - To replace the departing Raikkonen and Grosjean, Lotus goes for one of many drivers floating around. So they take one experienced driver and one younger driver.

Force India - 1. Sutil / Di Resta / Massa / Webber - 2. Kobayashi / Maldonado / Bottas / etc. - Here goes the drivers who don't score a Lotus or Mercedes drive.

#271 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,665 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:53

Maldonado pours cold water on 2014 Lotus switch reports

This confirms my view pretty much. PDVSA is tied to Williams and Maldonado knows he won't go anywhere else unless somebody wants him without sponsorship money.

#272 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,606 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:05

The question is, would Lotus be interested in Massa? I'd love to see Kobayashi in Lotus though.

I can't see where Felipe would get another F1 drive if/when he leaves Ferrari. I don't think the sorts of opportunities Rubens got after Ferrari would come to him.

#273 marcoferrari

marcoferrari

• 2,004 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:08

My crazy prediction:

Ferrari - 1. Alonso - 2. Rosberg - Rosberg is readied to take over #1 duties when FA retires.

Red Bull - 1. Vettel - 2. Raikkonen - Raikkonen is coaxed by RBR, proceeds to beat Vettel easily. :p

McLaren - 1. Perez - 2. Button - Stays the same.

Mercedes - 1. Hamilton - 2. Sutil / Hulkenberg / Di Resta - One of these guys replaces the departing Rosberg.

Lotus - 1. Hulkenberg / Massa / Webber - 2. Kobayashi / Maldonado / Bottas / etc. - To replace the departing Raikkonen and Grosjean, Lotus goes for one of many drivers floating around. So they take one experienced driver and one younger driver.

Force India - 1. Sutil / Di Resta / Massa / Webber - 2. Kobayashi / Maldonado / Bottas / etc. - Here goes the drivers who don't score a Lotus or Mercedes drive.

:lol:

#274 SonJR

SonJR

• 139 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:32

- Di Resta
- Maldonado
- Sutil
- Hulkenberg

I'd take Sutil off it, after having stabbed the Genii #2 guy in the neck and all. Valsecchi I don't think is a serious contender. He's just hanging around there like d'Ambrosio did last year, paying for it too.

I see both Massa and Webber possibly switching if they (and Lotus) don't have better options. Kovalainen and Kobayashi imho would be good options if Grosjean gets the boot during this season, but not so much for a seat for 2014. I'd give Kovalainen the edge here, seeing as he's driven 2013 tyres and knows the team.

No, but I do remember hearing/reading somewhere that Grosjean has various 'evaluation moments' during the year which the team can decide to continue with him or drop him. I'd not be surprised if there are several clauses regarding points, percentage of points in relation to Kimi and DNFs in his contract though.

#275 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 1,486 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:51

Maldonardo

There is no such driver

#276 rasul

rasul

• 955 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:19

Never going to happen, mark my words.

#277 saudoso

saudoso

• 4,602 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 13:51

In an interview to Livio Oriccio, Domenicalli prety much confirmed FA and FM for 2014:

http://www.estadao.c...4,1040313,0.htm

SD: ...If Felipe keeps his current performance I can't see a problem in the future. I'm confident about our 2014 lineup.
LO:Felipe Massa should then continue in the Ferrari?
SD:Absolutely yes.

#278 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,518 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 14:18

I think Massa may very well continue in Ferrari for much longer than people expect, maybe until 2016 or something like that. Okay he's flavour of the month to be replaced after the latest 2 qualifying shunts, but he's been far closer to Alonso over the past 8-10 races than before, and pretty much at the exact performance level Ferrari will want from a #2 driver - just stepping on the heels of the #1 driver, enough to keep Alonso in check, but soft enough to concede position to Alonso whenever they want. If they didn't replace him when he had that period of AWFUL form at the end of 2011 / start of 2012 they're not going to replace him now.

#279 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,606 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 14:41

I think Massa may very well continue in Ferrari for much longer than people expect, maybe until 2016 or something like that. Okay he's flavour of the month to be replaced after the latest 2 qualifying shunts, but he's been far closer to Alonso over the past 8-10 races than before, and pretty much at the exact performance level Ferrari will want from a #2 driver - just stepping on the heels of the #1 driver, enough to keep Alonso in check, but soft enough to concede position to Alonso whenever they want. If they didn't replace him when he had that period of AWFUL form at the end of 2011 / start of 2012 they're not going to replace him now.

I just wonder whether he feels under any pressure from the fact that he is on a one year deal. Contract renewal doubts seemed to affect him last year. He may have come in to this season thinking he could give Alonso a run for his money, based on form in late 2012. Now, Fernando has open out the points gap again and he could be called upon to play the team game in the near future. I guess he would just have to accept it.

Advertisement

#280 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 15:03

The strange thing is there is no new quotes and nothing new has been said or added about Kimi going to Red Bull. So I found it surprising that Autosport did such a huge article with a front page on this story. Even Vettel didn't sound quite positive about this prospect earlier in the week.

Answer might surface out of fog, when you ask - why he should remain with Lotus? Car performance, money, etc. (Forget about personal comfort).

Edited by Sakae, 09 June 2013 - 15:04.

#281 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 1,817 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 15:15

Maldonado pours cold water on 2014 Lotus switch reports

This confirms my view pretty much. PDVSA is tied to Williams and Maldonado knows he won't go anywhere else unless somebody wants him without sponsorship money.

It doesn't say anywhere that PDVSA is tied to Williams.

Edited by DutchQuicksilver, 09 June 2013 - 15:15.

#282 Sith

Sith

• 1,306 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:32

It's a 4 race review... That's why Romain was driving like 'Ms Daisy' @ the start of the season.. He was just trying to cruise to the Spanish G.P. problem was, Kimi was racking up podiums. Monaco was always gonna be his undoing... You cannot 'cruise' around there, so when he had to drive near the limit, he showed what a fragile DUD he really is!

#283 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,093 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:00

From this weekend, it really confirms to me that come the start of 2014, I only see 3 seats changing. I see Toro Rosso finding two new drivers after losing one to Red Bull (I am putting my money of Vergne after a stellar run in Montreal), and the other (Ricciardo) getting the axe à la Alguersuari, Buemi, Speed, Liuzzi, Bourdais.

While Kimi might get frustrated with some obvious lack of results at Lotus, outside the Red Bull seat, what other competitive ride is there potentially open? And why leave for a potentially combustible situation as a teammate to Mr. I don't play well with others.

I don't see Grosjean leaving so soon. He has been bringing in the results and outside the incident at Monaco has put in a great season for what is really only a good team.

#284 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 2,715 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:10

From this weekend, it really confirms to me that come the start of 2014, I only see 3 seats changing. I see Toro Rosso finding two new drivers after losing one to Red Bull (I am putting my money of Vergne after a stellar run in Montreal), and the other (Ricciardo) getting the axe à la Alguersuari, Buemi, Speed, Liuzzi, Bourdais.

While Kimi might get frustrated with some obvious lack of results at Lotus, outside the Red Bull seat, what other competitive ride is there potentially open? And why leave for a potentially combustible situation as a teammate to Mr. I don't play well with others.

I don't see Grosjean leaving so soon. He has been bringing in the results and outside the incident at Monaco has put in a great season for what is really only a good team.

:rolleyes: 26 points compared to a teammate who scored 88. If by great you mean able to score 30% of his teammates points then, yeah, he had a great year.

He's constantly been far behind Kimi and looks no closer to bridging the cavernous gap.

#285 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 2,800 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:02

What's stopping Lotus from replacing Grosjean? Might as well bring Di Resta or Hulkenburg in.

#286 EthanM

EthanM

• 2,104 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:04

What's stopping Lotus from replacing Grosjean? Might as well bring Di Resta or Hulkenburg in.

the fact total pays Lotus handsomely ?

#287 Yoshi

Yoshi

• 929 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:57

Vergne takes lead in the race for Webber’s Red Bull seat => http://grandprix247....-red-bull-seat/

Asked about Vergne’s future, Marko answered: “This is his second year in Formula 1, and for the second year it’s really impressive.

“But what we are looking for is drivers who can win grands prix. For the moment, he is on the right track.” (GMM)

Second sentence doesn't sound like Vergne is leading for Webber's Seat.
But let's see what will happen end of summer.

Edited by Yoshi, 10 June 2013 - 10:57.

#288 Anja

Anja

• 501 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 13:44

It looks like Marko wants these guys to win a race in STR.

#289 KateLM

KateLM

• 2,341 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 14:21

If one of Ricciardo and Vergne gets promoted then the other will probably keep their STR seat for another year by virtue of there not being another driver in the Junior Team ready to replace him.

#290 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 3,253 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 15:57

Bianchi to Ferrari seems much more likely as Rosberg to Ferrari.
Maldonado was under a 5 year contract with Williams, that runs out after 2015 so I can see him moving to Lotus in 2016 but not earlier since PDVSA would have to pay Williams for breaking the final 2 years.

#291 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,093 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 16:05

:rolleyes: 26 points compared to a teammate who scored 88. If by great you mean able to score 30% of his teammates points then, yeah, he had a great year.

He's constantly been far behind Kimi and looks no closer to bridging the cavernous gap.

If you are comparing teammates, then all the teams in the top 7, but McLaren and Mercedes are in the same situation. And we don't here that Force India needs to boot Sutil, or Webber leave mid-season, or Massa go before the year is out.

Grosjean might be on a race by race basis with the team, and under that, if he drops out in Silverstone, he should be replaced. I don't see him being replaced at all this year. and if he scores another podium or two, I can see him staying as Kimi's teammate for next season.

#292 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 2,563 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 16:15

I think there will be not that much changes because money rules and the teams need some consistence with the new turbo engines.

#293 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 16:31

This run on Webber's seat is really getting some sort of a circus show. Maybe Webber again, maybe Hulk, maybe Kimi, STR one driver, now the second driver, maybe, maybe, maybe... just crazy world.

Edited by Sakae, 10 June 2013 - 16:32.

#294 rasul

rasul

• 955 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:51

http://blog.quotidia...llone-canadese/
Hmm.. Leo Turrini is talking like Kimi will be in RB next year. And if I understand comments to his article correctly, apparently yesterday Sky said there's at least a verbal agreement between RB and Kimi.
I don't know how reliable Google Translate is, though. It also appears that Turrini is hinting that Ferrari's Qualifying problem in the last few years is something they can do nothing about: the driver(?). It seems he's saying that Vettel=Senna and Alonso=Prost, and something about Alonso's state of mind? :confused:
Can someone who speaks Italian translate what he's saying? I'm not sure even about the Kimi part.

Edited by rasul, 11 June 2013 - 11:55.

#295 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:10

One must love Felipe, and his latest - best man to replace Massa is me. :rotfl: :up:

#296 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 1,376 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:54

I understood in other topics that Grosjean is on a 3-races-at-a-time contract. Can someone confirm this?

My suspicions are that we see almost no movement at all, teams will want to know what the new cars are doing. Keeping one variable at bay (the drivers) could be helpfull.

#297 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 2,883 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:58

http://blog.quotidia...llone-canadese/
Can someone who speaks Italian translate what he's saying? I'm not sure even about the Kimi part.

I can't find anything about Kimi there mate..?

#298 rko281

rko281

• 696 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 13:12

me neither.

But the Alonso part: he gives him a 9 because of the good race and the only question is Saturday. Turini says that indeed after the weekend, this might be a minor detail, but makes a hint that for the last years in Ferrari they know the reasons of some not so great Saturdays implying that Alonso may not had put together a lap on some occasions and that's why the reference to Prost and not Senna. It's not a dig at him at all, but points that even Alonso has a "week" spot.

To those who might say that he hasn't had the fastest car, he is not saying about missed pole positions, but better qualification positions.

#299 rasul

rasul

• 955 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 13:12

I think he's talking about Kimi when he talks about "Vedremo cosa combinerà il biondino nel 2014..." I'm not sure, though. But in the comments, people clearly think he's talking about Kimi, because they seem to be discussing Sky's yesterday report that Kimi has some kind of agreement with Red Bull. I haven't seen it anywhere, so it got me all confused. I hate relying on Google Translate.

Advertisement

#300 rko281

rko281

• 696 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 13:20

I think he's talking about Kimi when he talks about "Vedremo cosa combinerà il biondino nel 2014..." I'm not sure, though. But in the comments, people clearly think he's talking about Kimi, because they seem to be discussing Sky's yesterday report that Kimi has some kind of agreement with Red Bull. I haven't seen it anywhere, so it got me all confused. I hate relying on Google Translate.

ah, you're talking about comments...don't bother.
The translations is "let's see what the blond guy will do in 2014" as a reply to a post about how the car's problem and the awful pit stop hindered Kimi fighting for the 5th place.

so, there's no insight info about Kimi's future in 2014.
but, in a Finnish article H.Kulta was saying the when the teams return after the summer break there will be a clear picture about the available seats at Lotus, RedBull and Ferrari and the possible changes.

Edited by rko281, 11 June 2013 - 13:26.