Jean-Pierre Jaussaud - French GP 1967

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 wsp77

wsp77

• 75 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 16:40

Learned members

I have read two accounts of the race entry of Jean-Pierre Jaussaud for the French Grand Prix of 1967, at the Le Mans Bugatti circuit. Matra Sports apparently entered MS7-03 (number 20) for Jean-Pierre Beltiose and MS5-15 (number 21) for both Johnny Servoz-Gavin and Jean-Pierre Jaussaud.

Both cars had the Cosworth FVA S4 engines. Was the MS5 just an F2 car entered for Grand Prix racing, as I thought the only F2 cars allowed for F1 that year were for the German Grand Prix?

Ultimately Matra Sports did not arrive for the French Grand Prix and so did not compete, although Servoz-Gavin did compete with the MS5 at the Monaco Grand Prix earlier that season.

Can members out there shed any more light on this entry by Matra Sports for Jaussaud?

Thanks in advance

Advertisement

#2 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,592 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 17:21

The Matra F2 cars raced in F1 races carried lead ballast to bring them up to the F1 minimum weight limit, plus extra fuel tankage to cope with the longer races.

Edited by Tim Murray, 24 October 2012 - 17:21.

#3 wsp77

wsp77

• 75 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 17:40

The Matra F2 cars raced in F1 races carried lead ballast to bring them up to the F1 minimum weight limit, plus extra fuel tankage to cope with the longer races.

Thanks Tim, do you know anything about Jaussaud's entry?

#4 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,592 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 18:12

Not a sausage, I'm afraid (but I'll wager someone here will do). There's no mention of any Matras in the reports in Motor Sport and Autosport, and the F1R Black Book lists them as to be driven by Beltoise and Servoz-Gavin. Jaussaud drove an MS5 in the supporting F3 race, retiring in the final.

Edited by Tim Murray, 24 October 2012 - 18:25.

#5 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,966 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 21:54

Beltoise and the Matra competed at both the U.S. and Mexican GPs in 1967. He was classified in 7th place at both.

#6 wsp77

wsp77

• 75 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 18:41

Beltoise and the Matra competed at both the U.S. and Mexican GPs in 1967. He was classified in 7th place at both.

Thanks for all of your help so far.

#7 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,763 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 19:23

Jaussaud's probably one of the top ten "Euro" drivers never to make it to a GP. I'd throw in there Jorg Muller, Andy Wallace, Bob Wollek and Maurizio Flammini as well. Surely they were more worthy of a drive than, say, Adrian Campos or Giovanna Amati.

#8 jeffbee

jeffbee

• 114 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:46

Jaussaud's probably one of the top ten "Euro" drivers never to make it to a GP. I'd throw in there Jorg Muller, Andy Wallace, Bob Wollek and Maurizio Flammini as well. Surely they were more worthy of a drive than, say, Adrian Campos or Giovanna Amati.

Speaking from memory, and it is a bit dodgy these days, JPJ's debut in F1 didn't happen until he took part in an Aurora race, which didn't go too well. I think some people would say the Aurora series wasn't real F1, but............. Anyway, I think it was somewhere like Zolder in the late 70s. I agree that he should have made it into F1, and was probably capable of a career similar to Beltoise.

You wouldn't believe how long it's taken to type this message! I'm running in new varifocals and I think they're heading for the bin soon!!!

#9 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,699 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:55

Persevere with the varifocals. Once you get used to them they are great! You have to learn to tilt your head to focus. With a computer it's a case of getting the screen at the right level.

Edited by D-Type, 29 October 2012 - 12:55.

#10 jeffbee

jeffbee

• 114 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:58

Persevere with the varifocals. Once you get used to them they are great! You have to learn to tilt your head to focus. With a computer it's a case of getting the screen at the right level.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

#11 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 14:48

I've been wearing varifocals for years and never had any trouble until I got a new pair a couple of weeks ago. I'm still having trouble with my computer screen, even after changing its distance, angle etc, but I'm sure it's better than it was...

#12 DogEarred

DogEarred

• 21,347 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:27

I've been wearing varifocals for years and never had any trouble until I got a new pair a couple of weeks ago. I'm still having trouble with my computer screen, even after changing its distance, angle etc, but I'm sure it's better than it was...

Don't David. seeing

worry you are
I expect

things already....
better

#13 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,699 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:41

Don't David. seeing

worry you are
I expect

things already....
better

Dyslexia rules - KO!

I'll get my coat.

#14 DogEarred

DogEarred

• 21,347 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:34

Dyslexia rules - KO!

I'll get my coat.

Just what exactly are you going to do with your goat?...

Edited by DogEarred, 30 October 2012 - 12:38.

#15 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,699 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 14:15

Just what exactly are you going to do with your goat?...

See if it will eat your dog's ears! :p

#16 DogEarred

DogEarred

• 21,347 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 14:34

See if it will eat your dog's ears! :p

I've just had them goat-proofed by my mate with a goatee beard, Billy Kid .

Anyway, was J-P Jaussaud one of the many overseas drivers that used to come to the UK for those great F3 races in the 60s & 70s? There were so many names & I assume he did.
I saw a modern F3 race at Silverstone a couple of years back. Apologies to some no doubt excellent drivers but I have no desire to see another....

#17 jeffbee

jeffbee

• 114 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:55

I've just had them goat-proofed by my mate with a goatee beard, Billy Kid .

Anyway, was J-P Jaussaud one of the many overseas drivers that used to come to the UK for those great F3 races in the 60s & 70s? There were so many names & I assume he did.
I saw a modern F3 race at Silverstone a couple of years back. Apologies to some no doubt excellent drivers but I have no desire to see another....

Yes, JPJ was one of the French drivers that were looked after by Matra during the revival in the early 60s. I think, although I stand to be corrected, that most of his F3 racing was in France and it was when he progressed to F2 that he ventured abroad more regularly. He was good driver that deserved better results and recognition than he got.

I remember reading an article around the time of his shortlived Aurora debut in 1979 in which he commented that if Mario Andretti could keep going, then so could he.

As for a comparison between 60s / 70s F3 and modern F3, I don't imagine you'll get an argument from anyone on this forum about the difference in quality and what they'd rather watch.

#18 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,641 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:54

Poor old JPJ seemed to have been on the verge of a Matra Grand Prix drive for years. A June 1972 edition of Autosport reads: '.....A hot tip for a Matra F1 drive before the season becomes much older is Jean-Pierre Jaussaud. Rumours surrounding Chris Amon's future with the team are without basis and as for him running a private Lotus 72 - no chance........'

No hint in June of Matra's decision to withdraw at the end of the year; I wonder whether Matra ever pencilled in drivers for 1973, and whether Jaussaud was a possibility. Chris Amon and a Lotus 72 would have been interesting.

I remember Jaussaud being in contention for the 1972 European F2 title, and he went well at Crystal Palace the year before. I recall seeing him in F3 and, having just checked Stefan's site, it must have been the 1970 Motor Show 200 at Brands where JPJ raced a Martini for Winfield. I should have remembered that! He raced F3 at Brands in August 1970 too, when Gerry Birrell won. At that meeting JPJ was driving a Tecno for Meubles Arnold, his F2 sponsor in 1971.