Photo

Vettel hate because he's german?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

#1 fastwriter

fastwriter

• 174 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:36

I wondered a long time, why there is so much hate against Sebastian Vettel in this (predominantly anglo-saxon) forum.

Now I think I found an possible answer for me: I think, he is disliked that much, because he's german.

Based on facts, he must be very popular in Britain: He speaks good english, has a very british kind of humour, is a humble man, always positive towards his team, no bullshit-talking about his opponents - and he is very, very quick.

In this forum however, he ist totally hated by a lot of members. So is it nationalism? Is it old german-hate?

I would like to know how the forum discusses this.

Advertisement

#2 Massa

Massa

• 10,114 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:39

http://forums.autosp...howtopic=171273

#3 Oho

Oho

• 11,844 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:44

I wondered a long time, why there is so much hate against Sebastian Vettel in this (predominantly anglo-saxon) forum.

Now I think I found an possible answer for me: I think, he is disliked that much, because he's german.

Based on facts, he must be very popular in Britain: He speaks good english, has a very british kind of humour, is a humble man, always positive towards his team, no bullshit-talking about his opponents - and he is very, very quick.

In this forum however, he ist totally hated by a lot of members. So is it nationalism? Is it old german-hate?

I would like to know how the forum discusses this.

So what explains the ton of hatred for Alonso and Räikkönen, neither is German and both get their fair share of pretty naked hatred.... Not to mention Hamilton.

Well these days when ever Vettel wins, I turn sound off, as I am so sick and tired of his juvenile post victory antics in the car. It has nothing to do with him being German.

#4 sharo

sharo

• 1,792 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:44

I am afraid the thread is doomed. But agree as a whole.
Also think that due to Vettel being viewed as Schumacher's protegee there is an attitude transfer from the latter to the former.
However IMHO at the bottom of it is the human nature to negate those who achieve big success, ill concealed envy and a dose of nationalism, also not always successfully masked.

Edited by sharo, 29 October 2012 - 09:45.

#5 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 7,463 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:46

Is there Vettel hate, or is it that some want to see him drive in something other than an Adrian Newey designed car (indy 07 aside) before they willing bestow legendary status on him, and this appears to offend some of the diehard?

As for the racism point, what a ridiculously offensive comment.

Edited by Kvothe, 29 October 2012 - 09:47.

#6 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:47

There's always animosity towards those who dominate, especially in sport. Nothing to do with his nationality.

The average man on the British street might have a dislike for Germans, but I don't think F1 fans who gather on a dedicated F1 forum really think that - not in the majority anyway.

I don't even recognise nationality in F1, makes absolutely no difference to me. I'm a Schumacher supporter, when he's out of the race (which has happened a couple times...) I don't support other Germans or start rooting for Brits.

Edit: I hadn't noticed much hate for Vettel to be honest. More adoration for Alonso and dislike for Hamilton. Or maybe that's just how it appears, as those particular fans/haters might be louder.

Edited by RedBaron, 29 October 2012 - 09:48.

#7 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:54

Posted Image

#8 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,223 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:55

So what explains the ton of hatred for Alonso and Räikkönen, neither is German and both get their fair share of pretty naked hatred.... Not to mention Hamilton.

This is what I was coming in to say. Success attracts both fans and detractors and Vettel isn't any special case.

Personally I don't sympathize much with Vettel but don't see him as the Darth Vader. I haven't really been anti-one driver (I say "anti" because "hate" is far too strong a word) since Schumacher in his peak.

Edited by noikeee, 29 October 2012 - 09:55.

#9 GotYoubyTheBalls

GotYoubyTheBalls

• 301 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:57

Is there Vettel hate, or is it that some want to see him drive in something other than an Adrian Newey designed car (indy 07 aside) before they willing bestow legendary status on him, and this appears to offend some of the diehard?

As for the racism point, what a ridiculously offensive comment.

Come on man get over it. Were you screaming for Hamilton to join RB in 2008? If Newey car is a pre-requisite for a WDC then why wasnt Hamilton knocking on Red Bulls door in 2008, 2009 when they would have most likely taken him on unconditionly. The Newey bullshit is just another desperate attempt to discredit Vettels dominance. First it was he couldnt overtake, then it was he couldnt win unless he was on pole, then he couldnt win in a non dominant car, and now its the fact that he has never won in a non Newey car. Pathetic.

Edited by GotYoubyTheBalls, 29 October 2012 - 09:59.

#10 Slackbladder

Slackbladder

• 2,161 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:58

Is it cos I is German??

#11 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:59

Every driver has crazy fan boys and detractors, the more successful the driver the more vocal both fans and detractors get, Vettel is by no means a special case. And yeah I cringe when people bring in nationality/race into it equally when done for Vettel and for Alonso/Hamilton (it's cause he's German/Spanish/black ... that's dumb)

#12 JohnConnor

JohnConnor

• 13 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:00

This is what I was coming in to say. Success attracts both fans and detractors and Vettel isn't any special case.

Personally I don't sympathize much with Vettel but don't see him as the Darth Vader. I haven't really been anti-one driver (I say "anti" because "hate" is far too strong a word) since Schumacher in his peak.

I remember that there were plenty of haters when Schumi dominated, but now that he's been the underdog, more people have started to feel for him. So I don't think nationality has anything to do with it. It just the way it is when there's one driver dominating and breaking records, then he's always going to encounter some discord. I think even Button had plenty of critics when he was dominating in that Brawn, but now everyone seems to like him.

#13 alframsey

alframsey

• 5,037 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:01

Firstly can I just say how ridiculous this 'theory' is, putting it down to nationality is such an easy reason to turn to. As is race.

Personally I love Germany as a nation, it's culture and it's people on the whole, it is indeed a place I'd like live for a while as well, yet I still really cannot stand Vettel. I put this more down to him reminding me of my neighbour's son who I grew up with, he looks like him and acts like him to an extent, who I am not very fond of. Nothing to do with his nationality.

Edited by alframsey, 29 October 2012 - 10:01.

#14 TecnoRacing

TecnoRacing

• 1,796 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:01

Always been a Michael fan (and Hulk as well) and I can't stand Vettel...
Anyway, the British press always savaged Michael for beating 'our Damon' while they seem quite taken with 'Seb's' nerd perv antics...So imo the German thing is quite nonsense...

#15 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 3,151 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:06

When he tries to be cool and be certain things that are Americanised like certain 'cool' comments etc and expressing joy in an American style way he is useless at it which is typically German. The answer would be to express joy in a proper German way if he wanted to look more natural. There is a certain personality issue similar to Arnold Schwarzenegger in the Terminator films which can be cringeworthy. It's certainly not a reason to dislike him its more of an annoyance.
Its like Schumacher's dress-sense, there's just certain things people can't do. They just shouldn't try that's all.

#16 KingB

KingB

• 348 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:06

yeah I'm German and I can't stand Vettel too :lol: as I can't stand Schumacher :lol:
for me I think it's mainly due to the hype on the broadcasting channels....this is really annoying. So I want them not to win :p
And I think for others it is a lot based on the Team Red Bull...with Helmut Marko and friends...but Mark isn't affected anyway

#17 Haribo

Haribo

• 866 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:18

LOL - That's all I have to say

#18 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 7,463 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:19

Come on man get over it. Were you screaming for Hamilton to join RB in 2008? If Newey car is a pre-requisite for a WDC then why wasnt Hamilton knocking on Red Bulls door in 2008, 2009 when they would have most likely taken him on unconditionly. The Newey bullshit is just another desperate attempt to discredit Vettels dominance. First it was he couldnt overtake, then it was he couldnt win unless he was on pole, then he couldnt win in a non dominant car, and now its the fact that he has never won in a non Newey car. Pathetic.

Case in point.

#19 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:23

The average man on the British street might have a dislike for Germans

Do they? You must walk on very different streets to me then.

To the OP: Is he really overly "hated" on here? I don't think he is.......

Advertisement

#20 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:25

I made a mistake perusing Alonso thread today, something I haven't done yet or, at least not in very, very long time, and first thing what came on my mind was - NEVER AGAIN! The same on Hamilton's thread.

Edited by Sakae, 29 October 2012 - 10:26.

#21 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:28

+ 1 ... on both counts

#22 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:29

You might be oblivious to certain nuances and details, whilst, quite possibly, some of us are on overly sensitive side. My British colleagues who do travel to Germany and Italy quite often, they actually genuinely like both countries; that's beyond shadow of doubt.

#23 August

August

• 3,277 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:31

I think there's some Vettel-hate in this forum because his driving isn't as spectacular as, say, Lewis's. And that's partly because of a dominant car. His victories look so easy that many people think that he wouldn't have deserve his WDCs, he won them just because of a great car.

And I think driving for RBR is another thing. RBR has maybe a bit negative image, Red Bull are not a proper privateer but a big company, on the other hand they aren't a famous car brand either. If he drove e.g. for Macca, Williams, or Merc, he would be much more liked.

#24 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:34

You might be oblivious to certain nuances and details, whilst, quite possibly, some of us are on overly sensitive side. My British colleagues who do travel to Germany and Italy quite often, they actually genuinely like both countries; that's beyond shadow of doubt.

:rolleyes:

Seriously - come off it. Any anti-German feeling from "the average man in the street" dissipated a long, long time ago.

Sure there is a bit of stereotyping in comedy etc. But that's no different to the banter between us and all other nations.

Edited by maverick69, 29 October 2012 - 10:35.

#25 man

man

• 1,527 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:35

I don't think Vettel is "hated" at all and as far as I know there is no reason to hate him. He has been doing a lot of winning over the last few years which may annoy some but he seems to be a likeable chap off the track while at the same time being fairly clean and impressive on it.

#26 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:37

I made a mistake perusing Alonso thread today, something I haven't done yet or, at least not in very, very long time, and first thing what came on my mind was - NEVER AGAIN! The same on Hamilton's thread.

Good.

I'll hold you to that.

#27 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:39

I think hate is far too strong a word, I doubt anyone truly 'hates' him.

Perhaps they feel angered as because of Newey he's going to be a triple champion but far far too easily?
Perhaps they feel the way he's got the title somehow demeans the other triple champions who really worked hard and earnt theirs? (ie Senna, Lauda, Stewart, Prost etc)

#28 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:45

Hate him because he is German. A German driver winning makes watching F1 on German television so much worse.

#29 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:49

Thread closed: forum is for discussing racing not each others bigotry.