Photo

First NASCAR race- any suggestions?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 SKL

SKL

• 1,412 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:26

Ok, don't flame now. Been doing sports car races since my first visit to Road America in the summer of '67 when I graduated from high school. I know that dates me... since we got a second home in Scottsdale, I figured I'd go to PIR for the upcoming chase race. Went to a SCCA race there a few years ago before they redid the place and since that was a non spectator race, the place was basically empty except for the racers.

Plan on earplugs or maybe I should take my race radio and headset to listen to the drivers etc? I remember when a friend and I went to the first F1 race at Indy we were going to be studs and just listen to the cars. Schumi was the first guy by, we looked at each other, and quickly put in the earplugs!! Can't imagine the stockers will sound as good, but will still be very loud.

Fire away...

Advertisement

#2 Lemnpiper

Lemnpiper

• 1,023 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:04

Ok, don't flame now. Been doing sports car races since my first visit to Road America in the summer of '67 when I graduated from high school. I know that dates me... since we got a second home in Scottsdale, I figured I'd go to PIR for the upcoming chase race. Went to a SCCA race there a few years ago before they redid the place and since that was a non spectator race, the place was basically empty except for the racers.

Plan on earplugs or maybe I should take my race radio and headset to listen to the drivers etc? I remember when a friend and I went to the first F1 race at Indy we were going to be studs and just listen to the cars. Schumi was the first guy by, we looked at each other, and quickly put in the earplugs!! Can't imagine the stockers will sound as good, but will still be very loud.

Fire away...

SKL

Suggestions

1 keep an eye on the weather forcasts not dressing warmly enough or dressing too warmly can hinder the fun .

2 earplugs buy em wear em

3 check track policy for coolers and how big are the ones they will allow you to carry in .

3a track food and drink can be expensive and you can save a bundle carefully packing what you feel you need to eat or drink within that correct size cooler.

4 tour the souvenier stands outside the track pre race you never know what you will find that you suddenly cant live without ( being the end of the season drivers who are changing teams like kenseth & logano stuff should be on sale)

4a Money select an amount you feel comfortable carrying and GUARD IT and keep track of it so that you dont come up short if the unexpected happens to cause you too need it.

5 Carry a couple Sharpies in case you have the change to get autographs ( black is best and silver works for dark colored objects)

6 Let track employees or cops handle any disruptive folks you happen across ( it's what they are there for)

7 greet you neighbor in the stands ( even if they are wearing clothing of a racer you detest) since this is your 1st nascar race perhaps they can help with good advice on what to watch for if they have been long time attendees.

8 Camera or cell phone ? pics from the stands wont be that great , but if you want to take you and your groups pics go for it.

9 Post race admittence to the garage area may or may not be allowed play it by ear to decide if you want to go if allowed ( keep in mind doin so means a longer line exiting to parking lots post races by the time you get to the car).

10 HAVE FUN !!!!!!! IT'S WHY YOU ARE GOIN

hopefull this helps

Paul

#3 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:38

That's some kickass advice Paul :up:

#4 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:48

i tend to put some money in different places, in case i get robbed.

race radio would be good i think, nascar is a chatty sport with the spotters etc

#5 djparky

djparky

• 1,997 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 20:49

don;'t need ear plugs- sprint cup cars sound more like a squadron WW2 fighter planes.

depending on how car parking is managed leave ASAP after the race otherwise it could be a long wait (if Daytona is anything to go by anyway). I've been to 3 Daytona's and have enjoyed them all- fans are really friendly. I'm relatively driver neutral so am happy to speak to anyone

allow plenty of time to get to the track (again depends on how well organised it is)

have fun at Phoenix

#6 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 21:31

Definitely rent one of those track radio/telemetry things.

Definitely go for all three days to get the lay of the land and rent the radio for all three days.

I was surprised that I didn't need earplugs but I was sitting really high in the stands.

#7 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 21:34

Bring plenty of cold beer. Nothing goes better with live motor racing than ice cold beer.

#8 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:22

prolonged exposure to fairly loud things can still grate after a few hours, so id pack a couple of foamy plugs just in case, though i have no direct nascar experience :(

#9 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 00:47

prolonged exposure to fairly loud things can still grate after a few hours, so id pack a couple of foamy plugs just in case, though i have no direct nascar experience :(

Oh no doubt. Earplugs are cheap and it's better to have and not need.