Photo

Mclaren MP4-27 Part IV

• Please log in to reply
785 replies to this topic

#151 NateF

NateF

• 1,015 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:19

Class act Lewis, I think you should take a leaf out of his book. I really hope the team and he finish on a high

Advertisement

#152 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:19

I hope you like waiting.

Seems like we may be waiting together, because Mercedes won't be winning anything in the near future, and all of you will be cursing his move not too long from now, and when he comes back, you will go into melt down mode.

#153 KOMORI

KOMORI

• 431 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:22

Heartbreaking.

Nothing more to say really :(

#154 andrewf1

andrewf1

• 534 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:26

Why not? You blatantly blamed McLaren for him retiring, what do you want them to do? Magically stop the car from breaking down when something electrical goes wrong, that could be one of a million things? I really do hope it was a Mercedes failure of some sort.

That kind of 'oh well, it happens, nothing we could've done about it' - attitude is exactly why Mclaren and it's management is failing so bad:

'Oh Lewis, we forgot to fuel the car, no problem, on to the next race' - Spain
'Oh Lewis, we held you up at the pitstops, no problem, on to the next race' - too many to count
'Oh Lewis, your gearbox and shifts have gone, no problem, on to the next race' - Singapore
'Oh Lewis, your anti-roll bar has failed, twice, no problem, on to the next race' - Korea and Japan

'Oh Lewis, we've lost all power so retire the car please, no problem, on to the next race' - Abu Dhabi

...and you're seriously still defending this team?

#155 peroa

peroa

• 8,923 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:28

Seems like another fuel pickup problem.
Nothing learned from Monza, just like with the gearboxes.

#156 SR388

SR388

• 3,826 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:32

Seems like we may be waiting together, because Mercedes won't be winning anything in the near future, and all of you will be cursing his move not too long from now, and when he comes back, you will go into melt down mode.

I would rather take podiums than giving away wins.

#157 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:32

That kind of 'oh well, it happens, nothing we could've done about it' - attitude is exactly why Mclaren and it's management is failing so bad:

'Oh Lewis, we forgot to fuel the car, no problem, on to the next race' - Spain
'Oh Lewis, we held you up at the pitstops, no problem, on to the next race' - too many to count
'Oh Lewis, your gearbox and shifts have gone, no problem, on to the next race' - Singapore
'Oh Lewis, your anti-roll bar has failed, twice, no problem, on to the next race' - Korea and Japan

'Oh Lewis, we've lost all power so retire the car please, no problem, on to the next race' - Abu Dhabi

...and you're seriously still defending this team?

When the team cocks up, I hold them accountable, but to just blame them for anything when something happens to Lewis is just getting tiresome. I mean he could be drive around Canada in the lead and he hits a gofer or whatever those things are, and people will blame McLaren for not having a gps on that gofer and warning Lewis. I mean come on, face it, Lewis is as lucky as Johnny Herbert, and that is scary. Contrary to that, Vettel is as lucky as Michael was in his glory years, even when he tries to cock it up it still falls in his lap, same can be said for Alonso.

#158 TurboF1

TurboF1

• 748 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:33

Whitmarsh has gotten exactly what he deserves with his attitude towards racing and the team philosophy in general. It's sickening. Utterly sickening watching such a shitty display from a team with so much promise. So close to just throwing in the towel with these clowns. All this from a 20+ year fan. Next year already looks like a lost cause. No top tier driver, 2 relatively ordinary qualifying drivers (but oh so good at tyre whispering! Oh Joy, Watching 2 drivers driving as slowly as possible trundling to the finish! What an exciting prospect!!!) possibly more reliability issues and a team that doesnt focus on winning above all because as a BRAND, they have to remain "risk averse"... Jesus H Christ! What a joke... At least this years car was fundamentally quick with a few "off" days, but they wont have someone who can wring everything out of it anyways.

F*ck it all

:down:

Edited by TurboF1, 04 November 2012 - 15:35.

#159 whitevisor

whitevisor

• 267 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:33

No way he wants to come back to this shambles of a team.

Advertisement

#160 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:35

I would rather take podiums than giving away wins.

Well don't hold your breathe, Mercedes struggle to be in the top 10 let alone worry about podiums. I'll call it how I think ill see it, Red Bul/McLaren will be the two fast cars early in the seasons closely shaded by Ferrari, and Mercedes if theyre lucky will be battling with Lotus. Prepare yourself for a 2009, Lewis doesn't have super powers, he can't polish a turd, the McLaren isnt a turd, its a very good car, he is just performing to the best of his abilities.

#161 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 2,157 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:35

I really cannot believe, I was almost in tears when I saw Lewis slowing down. PLEASE FIRE WHO ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THESE RELIABILITY ISSUES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#162 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:36

No way he wants to come back to this shambles of a team.

Did you notice i said when not if? He will be back. And all of the people who bag out McLaren I hope don't even bother coming with him. Will be a nice change in here!

#163 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:36

I really cannot believe, I was almost in tears when I saw Lewis slowing down. PLEASE FIRE WHO ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THESE RELIABILITY ISSUES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hear hear! Sack Mercedes....oh wait. Whoops!

#164 karlth

karlth

• 16,248 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:38

When the team cocks up, I hold them accountable

All the incidents listed above were the team's fault.

#165 P123

P123

• 8,363 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:39

Fuel pickup issue. Same problem JB had in Monza? Do we add that to the list of things that should not fail, such as the damper and anti-roll bar?

#166 Nahnever

Nahnever

• 257 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:39

hear hear! Sack Mercedes....oh wait. Whoops!

Not Mercedes fault it was fuel pick-up problem.

#167 andrewf1

andrewf1

• 534 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:41

When the team cocks up, I hold them accountable, but to just blame them for anything when something happens to Lewis is just getting tiresome. I mean he could be drive around Canada in the lead and he hits a gofer or whatever those things are, and people will blame McLaren for not having a gps on that gofer and warning Lewis. I mean come on, face it, Lewis is as lucky as Johnny Herbert, and that is scary. Contrary to that, Vettel is as lucky as Michael was in his glory years, even when he tries to cock it up it still falls in his lap, same can be said for Alonso.

fine, at this point in time, nobody can say exactly who's fault it was in Abu Dhabi, although if it was the same problem from Monza, it's the team's fault for not eliminating that issue. But seriously, have you seen these types of re-occurring, diverse and countless mistakes and problems in any other team this season? Dont deflect with Mercedes are doing this and that, because that will not be an excuse, Mclaren have simply been at an all time low this year. As if operational errors werent enough, now reliability is a major factor for them as well...and yes, for the reliability of parts, the team is held accountable, especially if it happens twice.

#168 alg7_munif

alg7_munif

• 1,616 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:42

I was looking forward to Lewis pace on the hard compound, somehow I feel that I've been robbed from that.

#169 Coral

Coral

• 2,767 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:42

Lewis won't be back at McLaren. Ever. Did you see Lewis's beaming smile when he was interviewed after the race? That's because he is finally getting away from McLaren.

I reckon that McLaren fans have a very painful couple of seasons to look forward to. The team does seem to be becoming the next Williams...but then, even Williams can get both of their cars to the finish...

#170 karlth

karlth

• 16,248 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:43

I was looking forward to Lewis pace on the hard compound, somehow I feel that I've been robbed from that.

Lewis said on BBC that he was essentially cruising before he retired. It sounds like an easy win and again shows how competitive the MP4-27 would have been without all those silly errors and reliability problems.

#171 SR388

SR388

• 3,826 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:44

Whitmarsh has gotten exactly what he deserves with his attitude towards racing and the team philosophy in general. It's sickening. Utterly sickening watching such a shitty display from a team with so much promise. So close to just throwing in the towel with these clowns. All this from a 20+ year fan. Next year already looks like a lost cause. No top tier driver, 2 relatively ordinary qualifying drivers (but oh so good at tyre whispering! Oh Joy, Watching 2 drivers driving as slowly as possible trundling to the finish! What an exciting prospect!!!) possibly more reliability issues and a team that doesnt focus on winning above all because as a BRAND, they have to remain "risk averse"... Jesus H Christ! What a joke... At least this years car was fundamentally quick with a few "off" days, but they wont have someone who can wring everything out of it anyways.

F*ck it all

:down:

Post of the year. I agree 100% with it.

#172 sheepgobba

sheepgobba

• 1,092 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:45

Lewis said on BBC that he was essentially cruising before he retired. It sounds like an easy win and again shows how competitive the MP4-27 would have been without all those silly errors and reliability problems.

Mclaren must really be looking forward to 2013 with Jensen and Perez dragging the car to pole and victory :down:

#173 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,657 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:45

[Monza fuel pump failure]:"It was a problem that we haven't had before and it wasn't an easy one for us to identify," technical director Paddy Lowe communicated to the media on Wednesday.
"We have fortunately managed to identify the root cause and it was a problem with the fuel pump. It's something we have now completely covered for the remaining races."

It might turn out they did not find the true cause.

#174 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 549 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:46

This poor reliability has been a feature of McLaren since the Hakkinen/Coulthard era. They design quick cars, have talented drivers, but consistenly have manufacture/assembly problems. This is something both Whitmarsh and Ron Dennis have failed to address.

#175 bauss

bauss

• 5,013 posts

very worried about their inability to switch on the softs...will only get worse when qualifying starts and temps fall...

their case has been a case of "but" all season.

At first, car is fast "but" pitstops and track operations are rubbish...

Then car was fast "but" development has lagged.

Then car is fast "but" rubbish in wet conditions.

Then car is fast "but" very unreliable.

Now car is fast but has a problem switching soft tires.

Depressing and frustrating season.. even if we manage pole or win this weekend, won't hide the fact. , I think I've finally lost "the faith" in the last few months.

Yep, I definitely lost the faith.... I was so pissed, I was half happy Vettel overtook JB....ridiculous team, they deserve nothing.

He has had only one relatively clean weekend with no car troubles in the last 5 races... for a team of McLaren's resources, that's shocking, heads need to roll stat.

This whole year is one epic clusterf**k... whats worse is it is in an high tech era where just about every other team are getting their cars to be more and more reliable... meanwhile Mclaren regress as if they put in schoolkids to do their reliability and race operations... what a shambles and disgrace of a team to support.

Even if I wanted to, there will absolutely be nothing to cheer about this team, next year...nothing to be proud of. The one last gem they have is sodding off, they certainly don't deserve him.

#176 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 549 posts

This poor reliability has been a feature of McLaren since the Hakkinen/Coulthard era. They design quick cars, have talented drivers, but consistenly have manufacture/assembly problems. This is something both Whitmarsh and Ron Dennis have failed to address.

#177 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 2,157 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:47

Lewis lost about 200 points this year only because of team cock-ups. Incredible record from McLaren well done!! We should have won WDC and WCC by now but look at where are in standings? We are almost going to be passed by lotus in constructors!

#178 andrewf1

andrewf1

• 534 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:48

:up: I really thought we were going to see a Grand Chelem from Lewis this weekend. I'm sure he wasn't going to pit first and with the pace the car showed on the primes, he would've been miles ahead, probably setting a fastest lap of the race as well, as he was constantly knocking them down.

#179 sheepgobba

sheepgobba

• 1,092 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:50

From 2007 to 2008, the Mclaren Cars were actually pretty dam reliable.

But from from 2009 to 2012, it's been a bit fishy?

2009 at this very track, Lewis suffered brake issues and countless times in 2010 he suffered reliability issues in Spain and Hungary As far as i can recall

Not to mention the shambles of 2011 and 2012.

Edited by sheepgobba, 04 November 2012 - 16:10.

Advertisement

#180 DaddyCool

DaddyCool

• 414 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:50

I can't stand Helmut Marko, but when he said that Hamilton's move to Mercedes is going to weaken 2 of their most serious competitors in one fell swoop, he was spot on.

#181 hotstickyslick

hotstickyslick

• 3,390 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:51

07-11 were reliable years

#182 peroa

peroa

• 8,923 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:51

It might turn out they did not find the true cause.

They also didn't find the real cause for the gearbox issues.
Just like the rear suspension issues that went on for 2 races.

#183 lambylamby

lambylamby

• 555 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:53

Man, i'm glad I'm a marussia fan, even though I support a team with different expectations at the moment, you bunch of fanboys must be feeling sick! Car cannot be trusted, no wonder the top drivers leave!

Maybe a few of you boys and girls should come over to the Marussia thread ;-)

#184 sheepgobba

sheepgobba

• 1,092 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:53

07-11 were reliable years

2010 and 2011 Mclaren had few issues

Edited by sheepgobba, 04 November 2012 - 15:54.

#185 Viktoria

Viktoria

• 87 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:57

Now I get it what Mclaren is doing this year!! They prepare all the Mclaren fans for the next years!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
That could the only one and only cause!! All others cant be true anymore!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

#186 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:58

Well don't hold your breathe, Mercedes struggle to be in the top 10 let alone worry about podiums. I'll call it how I think ill see it, Red Bul/McLaren will be the two fast cars early in the seasons closely shaded by Ferrari, and Mercedes if theyre lucky will be battling with Lotus. Prepare yourself for a 2009, Lewis doesn't have super powers, he can't polish a turd, the McLaren isnt a turd, its a very good car, he is just performing to the best of his abilities.

Mercedes is building a brand new car for 2013 - I seriously would like to get your crystal ball.

McLaren did cost Lewis but that's life. You can't prevent or drive around mechanical failures.

Edited by slmk, 04 November 2012 - 16:00.

#187 Raziel

Raziel

• 2,082 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:01

Unfortunately, dark times for McLaren... :( I really donĀ“t know what to say and what to expect in 2013. It is so depressive! :|

#188 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:04

Mercedes is building a brand new car for 2013 - I seriously would like to get your crystal ball.

McLaren did cost Lewis but that's life. You can't prevent or drive around mechanical failures.

that's why it wont be as competitve as current top 4 cars because 2013 cars of top 4 teams will be just evolution of current ones. While Mercedes will have brand new car, and I highly doubt that succesful cars atm that will be improved, wont be as good as now in next season

#189 NateF

NateF

• 1,015 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:04

Lol Whitmarsh saying Mercedes engines over and over again, mechanical fuel pump anyway

#190 sheepgobba

sheepgobba

• 1,092 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:06

that's why it wont be as competitve as current top 4 cars because 2013 cars of top 4 teams will be just evolution of current ones. While Mercedes will have brand new car, and I highly doubt that succesful cars atm that will be improved, wont be as good as now in next season

We'll see, won't we? Look at the transformation of Lotus from 2011 to 2012?

Time will tell.

#191 whitevisor

whitevisor

• 267 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:06

From 2007 to 2008, the Mclaren Cars were actually pretty dam reliable.

But from from 2009 to 2012, it's been a bit fishy?

2009 at this very track, Lewis suffered brake issues and countless times in 2010 he suffered reliability issues in Spain and Hungary As far as i can recall

Not sure to mention the shambles of 2011 and 2012.

there was some Ferrari blood in the 2008 car.

#192 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:11

there was some Ferrari blood in the 2008 car.

There wasn't.

#193 tarmac

tarmac

• 1,155 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:12

I dont know why they Whitmarsh wanted to sign Hamilton replacement so hastily.

Now its obvious Hulkenberg was the right choice

#194 ElDictatore

ElDictatore

• 879 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:14

Really dark times for McLaren at the moment.
But to all who think it's their problem. The fuel pump is delivered by Mercedes. Whitmarsh just said it onn BBC, it's something which didn't brake in 5 years. Yeah they made a lot of mistakes this season but you guys see something that just isn't there.

#195 fred54

fred54

• 192 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:16

MW really laying into Merc (the supplier, not the team!) on the BBC, first time I've heard him do that.

#196 karlth

karlth

• 16,248 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:17

MW really laying into Merc (the supplier, not the team!) on the BBC, first time I've heard him do that.

Yep, noticed that.

#197 peroa

peroa

• 8,923 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:19

Really dark times for McLaren at the moment.
But to all who think it's their problem. The fuel pump is delivered by Mercedes. Whitmarsh just said it onn BBC, it's something which didn't brake in 5 years. Yeah they made a lot of mistakes this season but you guys see something that just isn't there.

He used that excuse in Monza already.

Edited by peroa, 04 November 2012 - 16:21.

#198 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,657 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:20

Was it the same issue as Monza?

#199 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:21

Is he feeling the heat and attempting to put the blame elsewhere?

Advertisement

#200 Ashitank

Ashitank

• 394 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:23

Mclaren designing cars being risk averse due to sponsors is the most stupid, Insane thing i have heard from a top team f1 boss, sure keep designing cars like this & keep loosing WDC & WCC season after seasons & there will be no sponsors left to support the team as well , man what is wrong with Wishmart.

Wishmart can only wish to win WDC & WCC with this link of thinking !