AlexS

• 2,468 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 14:21

Well our car is crap today.

#53 RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68

• 1,431 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 14:22

Unbelievable, could anything get better for Vettel? He's hit his front wing twice and clumsily overtaken a few much slower cars!

Edited by RockyRaccoon68, 04 November 2012 - 14:23.

#54 Heasven

Heasven

• 205 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 14:23

This is gonna hurt.

#55 Enzoluis

Enzoluis

• 984 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 14:30

Unfortunatly true.

Mybe the lack f speed of the RB give us nother chance.

#56 Enzoluis

Enzoluis

• 984 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 14:32

Could be the revenge of 2010?

#57 Massa

Massa

• 4,281 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 14:40

Amazing pace, alonso is flying

#58 decoder

decoder

• 105 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 14:51

Pity the car was not fast enough to capitalise this race. Vettel got so lucky as usual. i guess it was better than nothing.

#59 RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68

• 1,431 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 14:52

I was hoping to take more out of Vettel but considering how everything fell into place for him we can't complain that much. If we ignore Vettel's penalty, would we have taken this result on Friday? Yes. Would we have taken this result after Q3? Yes.

On to Austin where I hope we can fight the bulls!!

Advertisement

#60 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,663 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 14:53

Fantastic race by Fernando, second fastest pitstop and more points than McLaren. :up:

#61 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 4,768 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 14:53

Great drive from VET even if not so spectacular, things worked out in his favor. The Ferrari was not fast enough the way the race developed. Without the SC helping with tyres, Alonso might have been able to get Kimi. Congrats to Kimi, BTW. Even if the scuderia could not slash the gap to VET as much as hoped for, they still reduced it. It's up to the next round of updates.

#62 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,890 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 14:55

Well, from what I can tell, the problem for Ferrari seems to be generating tyre temperature.

They were dog slow after the restarts and the pit stops but once temperature was generated they were fast.

Is this what is holding them back in qualifying.

#63 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 4,768 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 14:56

Well, from what I can tell, the problem for Ferrari seems to be generating tyre temperature.

They were dog slow after the restarts and the pit stops but once temperature was generated they were fast.

Is this what is holding them back in qualifying.

Yeah I said the same in the live chat. It was not the first time, but very obvious this time.

#64 decoder

decoder

• 105 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 14:56

We should just be thankful the lead to Vettel reduced, even though it was so small.

#65 discover23

discover23

• 3,869 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 14:57

Man.. Alonso was pushing line mad in those last few laps.. 3 or 4 consecutive purples... That was fun.. Freaking redbull is too fast now.. The top teams have now put a huge performance gap over their competitors making it much easier for Vettel to climb up so many places in the race...

#66 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,010 posts

What? You're insane. The F2012 was one of the fastest cars today.

#67 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,911 posts

Oh well. It will be good psychologically to finish in front of Vettel even with where they started.
I hope they keep this momentum, but if there were only a couple laps more.

Edit: fantastic drive from Fernando.

P.S. looks like tyre heating issues have come back again now that Pirelli have become more consistent.
Should be okay though, as Austin and Brazil will be a lot hotter.

Alonso was a legend on the podium.

Edited by SCUDmissile, 04 November 2012 - 15:00.

#68 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,890 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 14:58

We should just be thankful the lead to Vettel reduced, even though it was so small.

:up:

#69 Massa

Massa

• 4,281 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 14:58

:rolleyes:

#70 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 4,768 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:00

I said before the race I'd be happy with surviving the first lap and finishing anywhere in the points in front of Vettel. Pity that this is all we've got, but I still think it's ok. Like RockyRaccoon said, we would have taken this result yesterday.

#71 aray

aray

• 2,599 posts

great race by alonso...pity it was too late for tyre temp. to work on properly.....
Austin is going to be the make or break....nervous...:well:

#72 AlexS

AlexS

• 2,468 posts

I think it is you the "insane". Lotus, Redbull and Mclaren were faster than us.

#73 AlainProstX

AlainProstX

• 306 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:01

Damn, you can see Alonsos frustration at the podium...

#74 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,663 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:03

Damn, you can see Alonsos frustration at the podium...

It's not frustration, he was saying come on we can do it.

#75 aray

aray

• 2,599 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:04

both the drivers struggled to get the tyre temp. up.....if it was possible FA would never let Kimi gain that crucial 3 sec. advantage after the last restart...

#76 topical

topical

• 2,086 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:05

Alonso was a legend on the podium.

What did Alonso do on the podium? I just switched off. But the pre-podium stuff was interesting. Alonso on his own as Kimi and Vettel chatted. He looked pretty disappointed, and no surprise.

I guess we all have mixed feelings about the result - we would have taken it yesterday, but there was a stage early in that race when it looked like Alonso could take a huge chunk out of Vettel's lead today, and instead it barely changed. But at least it makes the task a bit more easy to quantify: if he can finish ahead of Vettel in the next two races, and win one of them, he will almost certainly be champion. Though with the pace of RBR it's hard to see that happening.

#77 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,391 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:06

I think thats just how Alonso handles these tires. Take it easy early on, attack when everybody else is falling off. It also serves to extend the life of the tires, which isn't a strong point of the car.

I'm pretty annoyed with Vettel being served that podium on a silver platter after seeing Alonso put in another masterful drive just to get 2nd, but like others are saying, I'd have taken this result at the start of the weekend, so I'm not gonna be too ungrateful. I'm even happy to see Kimi win, even if I wish Alonso could have gotten him there at the end.

#78 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,911 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:07

What did Alonso do on the podium? I just switched off. But the pre-podium stuff was interesting. Alonso on his own as Kimi and Vettel chatted. He looked pretty disappointed, and no surprise.

I guess we all have mixed feelings about the result - we would have taken it yesterday, but there was a stage early in that race when it looked like Alonso could take a huge chunk out of Vettel's lead today, and instead it barely changed. But at least it makes the task a bit more easy to quantify: if he can finish ahead of Vettel in the next two races, and win one of them, he will almost certainly be champion. Though with the pace of RBR it's hard to see that happening.

He was pumping his fists, and going '2 more 2 more we can do it!!!' He's really fired up now.

#79 whoisjohngalt

whoisjohngalt

• 343 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:12

Fernando still looks very motivated judging from that podium.

Let's keep things in perspective (cynical people don't read this), 2 years ago, with two races to go, Vettel was 25 points away from Alonso, and 15 points back before Abu Dhabi..we can still do this guys!!!!

(hearing myself say this sounds like im..bonkers :( )

Advertisement

#80 sheepgobba

sheepgobba

• 1,092 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:15

Despite the positives, I don't see Ferrari producing a fast enough car to topple Red Bull next race :|

#81 topical

topical

• 2,086 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:16

At least we can now have 2 more weeks of "if the next round of updates work, Alonso can still do this". :lol:

#82 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,890 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:18

I think thats just how Alonso handles these tires. Take it easy early on, attack when everybody else is falling off. It also serves to extend the life of the tires, which isn't a strong point of the car.

I'm pretty annoyed with Vettel being served that podium on a silver platter after seeing Alonso put in another masterful drive just to get 2nd, but like others are saying, I'd have taken this result at the start of the weekend, so I'm not gonna be too ungrateful. I'm even happy to see Kimi win, even if I wish Alonso could have gotten him there at the end.

I doubt that was the case today. I'm sure Alonso would have jumped on the opportunity to overtake Raikkonen at the restart and I'm cock sure he wouldn't have wanted that moment after the first restart.

I think it offers some explanation as to why they didn't improve in Q3 too. Alonso's Q2 time was set on a multi lap run.

#83 fnz

fnz

• 2,138 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:18

To bad ALO struggled twice on the restart, solid drive though.

#84 walkindude

walkindude

• 867 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:22

Alonso looked so intense when he got on the podium

#85 Showty

Showty

• 1,260 posts

Those SC...couldn´t get more unlucky for Fernando and lucky for Vettel, he even had a chance to win with the 2nd SC.

U can´t ask Fernando for more, what a driver he is, amazing.

2 weeks for Austin, Maranello has to produce something magical, otherwise it could really get ugly in Texas, a W for Vettel would be almost definitive for the WDC.

#86 discover23

discover23

• 3,869 posts

Despite Massa's poor race he is now behind Button in the standings and Ferrari are now clear in 2nd place in the constructors.
Redbull is simply too fast... I think Lotus/mclaren/ferrari were about equal in this race..

#87 whoisjohngalt

whoisjohngalt

• 343 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:24

At least we can now have 2 more weeks of "if the next round of updates work, Alonso can still do this". :lol:

i know right? masochists! :lol:

#88 Massa

Massa

• 4,281 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:25

Alonso was brillant today.

#89 aray

aray

• 2,599 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:26

we need just few pieces to fall together and then bingo.....but Austin IS make or break...

#90 RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68

• 1,431 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:27

I feel like I'm missing something in terms of Vettel's drive, folks are heaping praise on him but he didn't do anything particularly good?

Lewis got it right!

#91 bmardini

bmardini

• 326 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:30

The key to this race was passing Webber at the start

After that, Maldonado was beatable. Kimi and Lewis looked out of reach. Lewis retired so Alonso got the max.

Now, Webber, Button, Massa fluffing it is Vettel's gain. He should have finished P6 at best. Instead he was on the podium. Wasn't exactly a clean drive from Vettel either, ugly overtakes, contact, taking out a DRS board. His finest moment was his pass on Button, but Button looked pretty wounded at that point.

Alonso had a good race. It was frustrating to see him struggle so much on restarts, I think he lost a collective 6 or 7 seconds just from tire warmup problems...

#92 whoisjohngalt

whoisjohngalt

• 343 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:33

I was thinking before the race, at least Massa will be there, we have a buffer if Vettel comes near :(

#93 sheepgobba

sheepgobba

• 1,092 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:34

I feel like I'm missing something in terms of Vettel's drive, folks are heaping praise on him but he didn't do anything particularly good?

Lewis got it right!

I am not sure what you mean by that?

Is that in reference to the luck comment Lewis recently made?

#94 aray

aray

• 2,599 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:34

Lewis got it right!

it's alright..give vettel his due credit..also let's not forget Alonso too got the luck of safety car in Valencia....consider it as a cancel out... :smoking:

#95 FizzyJerk

FizzyJerk

• 332 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:35

I was thinking before the race, at least Massa will be there, we have a buffoon if Vettel comes near :(

Fixed it for you

#96 camberley

camberley

• 370 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:35

Despite the positives, I don't see Ferrari producing a fast enough car to topple Red Bull next race :|

Au contrarie, I think we got the break we needed. We will finish ahead of Vettel in the next two races. Just hoping it will be enough to win the WDC

#97 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,890 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:40

it's alright..give vettel his due credit..also let's not forget Alonso too got the luck of safety car in Valencia....consider it as a cancel out... :smoking:

Vettel was fast today but his drive was messy. He got the rub of the green twice because of the safety car which cancelled out his mistakes and then some. Not to mention his team pitting Webber immediately after setting a purple sector. :confused:

Anyway, he scored big but this is the Ferrari thread.

#98 HPT

HPT

• 1,159 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:40

Au contrarie, I think we got the break we needed. We will finish ahead of Vettel in the next two races. Just hoping it will be enough to win the WDC

Err how do you figure that?

#99 HPT

HPT

• 1,159 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:41

Vettel was fast today but his drive was messy. He got the rub of the green twice because of the safety car which cancelled out his mistakes and then some. Not to mention his team pitting Webber immediately after setting a purple sector. :confused:

Anyway, he scored big but this is the Ferrari thread.

Well, Webber wouldn't get out of the way after being told not to fight Vettel. We can't complain they pitted him as Massa would have surely made it easy for Alonso if he was in the same situation.

Advertisement

#100 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,391 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:43

Which didn't really help Alonso in any meaningful way since Vettel retired anyways.

I doubt that was the case today. I'm sure Alonso would have jumped on the opportunity to overtake Raikkonen at the restart and I'm cock sure he wouldn't have wanted that moment after the first restart.

I think it offers some explanation as to why they didn't improve in Q3 too. Alonso's Q2 time was set on a multi lap run.

You could be right. But I do think that getting heat into the tires earlier doesn't mean he'd be faster over the whole stint. It may well have been the case that the tires would fall off much sooner if he was 'on it' right away.

The quali thing isn't right, though. His 2nd run in Q3 was no different than his run in Q2 in terms of # of laps done.

Edited by Seanspeed, 04 November 2012 - 15:45.