* * * * - 20 votes

Ferrari F2012 part IV

• Please log in to reply
1886 replies to this topic

#101 Showty

Showty

• 1,260 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:46

Au contrarie, I think we got the break we needed. We will finish ahead of Vettel in the next two races. Just hoping it will be enough to win the WDC

2 W´s, that´s the only way to do it, as long as Fernando doesn´t win RB will be fine, they won´t even need Vettel to W or asume risks.

Everything depends on these 2 weeks at Maranello.

Advertisement

#102 RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68

• 1,430 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:46

it's alright..give vettel his due credit..also let's not forget Alonso too got the luck of safety car in Valencia....consider it as a cancel out... :smoking:

The Valencia SC was completely irrelevant. Compare their drives and you'll see that Vettel had a scruffy drive that was rescued by well timed safety cars while the SC in Valencia didn't really do much for Alonso other than present him with an opportunity to overtake Grosjean on track - which he then did masterfully.

#103 ArkZ

ArkZ

• 549 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:48

After reading yours opinions i give you my. I doubt Vettel would get any higher even starting from the front, watching Webber and Vettel pace. Vettel started whole new race after second SC with new tires he has longer gears and look how long it take him to overtake Button.
About us : F2012 struggled a little on softs but on hards once Fernandos tires were up to temp he was unstoppable, whats more important today we say goodbye to soft tires which RB8 use the best, and med-hard should suit our car particularly. :up:

#104 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,880 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:52

Which didn't really help Alonso in any meaningful way since Vettel retired anyways.

You could be right. But I do think that getting heat into the tires earlier doesn't mean he'd be faster over the whole stint. It may well have been the case that the tires would fall off much sooner if he was 'on it' right away.

The quali thing isn't right, though. His 2nd run in Q3 was no different than his run in Q2 in terms of # of laps done.

Losing about 8 seconds after restarts is just horrible. As for the tyres going off sooner... I doubt because when they cold they slide around a lot which takes more out of them.

Anyway, Not getting pass Maldonado earlier really hindered Alonso. The safety cars really did him no favours today while it played right into Vettel's hands.

I'll take the points though because I expect the car to be far more competitive at the remaining races.

#105 aray

aray

• 2,545 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:52

Which didn't really help Alonso in any meaningful way since Vettel retired anyways.

true...still i can accept this sorts of luck for vettel rather than having the luck of driving fastest car race after race....

#106 bmardini

bmardini

• 326 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:53

After reading yours opinions i give you my. I doubt Vettel would get any higher even starting from the front, watching Webber and Vettel pace. Vettel started whole new race after second SC with new tires he has longer gears and look how long it take him to overtake Button.
About us : F2012 struggled a little on softs but on hards once Fernandos tires were up to temp he was unstoppable, whats more important today we say goodbye to soft tires which RB8 use the best, and med-hard should suit our car particularly. :up:

Really? No more softs?

#107 topical

topical

• 2,069 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:54

Au contrarie, I think we got the break we needed. We will finish ahead of Vettel in the next two races. Just hoping it will be enough to win the WDC

Anything beyond fantasy to back that up?

#108 mardmarium

mardmarium

• 489 posts

Ferrari has worked hard, I'm sure they have tried everything, but it´s time to admit that others have been better, accept it and expect the god of luck to be with us for the future races. Maybe it sounds pessimistic, I don´t think so, it´s realistic in my opinion.

At this point I have to praise Alonso for his effort, his mentality and his talent. The team hopes, tonnes of pressure, have been maintained on his shoulders during all the season. I can understand him if he is frustrated at the moment, perfectly understandable. The guy is fighting like a lion and he is still there, we can´t ask him for more.

If we win at the end, it will be totally deserved, I have no doubt about this, but if we lose, it will be a natural consequence of the better job that others have done developing the car.

In any case, I will be proud of Ferrari. They will be fighting until the last second, they have hired a fantastic driver and they are the ones who are avoiding RBR to have the title in their bag. Let's see what happens.

#109 fnz

fnz

• 2,138 posts

Losing about 8 seconds after restarts is just horrible. \

Was it 8 seconds?
Was he doing a bad job behind the SC or not? Am asking because he didn't seem to have any problems at the start

#110 aray

aray

• 2,545 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:00

i enjoyed Pierro Ferrari's awe at seeing Alonso getting past Maldo...

#111 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,880 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:02

Was it 8 seconds?
Was he doing a bad job behind the SC or not? Am asking because he didn't seem to have any problems at the start

It's about 7 - 8 seconds that he lost after the safety cars.

I don't know if it is because he was doing a bad job or just the characteristics of the car but after he got by Webber at the start he lost out to Maldonado only to reel him in again.

#112 CF22

CF22

• 386 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:06

Guys all Ferrari need to do is keep pushing, sooner or later Vettel's car is gonna pop, it might happen in Austin or Brazil but there is still a chance Fernando will win the WDC, as he said 3 races ago: "all I need is 5 podiums and I win the championship" now it's 3 down 2 to go.

Anyway this was a good race overall, Fernando extracted the most from the car and we got solid points and still second in the WCC although Vettel got lucky this time.

#113 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,227 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:08

Anyway, Not getting pass Maldonado earlier really hindered Alonso.

It did, but I think it still went better than expected with him considering Maldonado's top speed.

#114 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,905 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:13

Good point.
Fernando wasn't great on the soft, but on the hard he was the fastest car on track.

Ferrari was one of the fastest cars on the track today, but the lack of heat in the tyres at the beginning of the safety car period stopped them doing what they could have done.
Vettel managed to get his setup fully on for the race, and he spent most of the race on new options, so we cannot really know how much faster he was than everyone, but imo it wasnt much.

Onto Austin, and I hear more upgrades. they need to work now.

#115 currupipi

currupipi

• 1,194 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:16

Good point.
Fernando wasn't great on the soft, but on the hard he was the fastest car on track.

Ferrari was one of the fastest cars on the track today, but the lack of heat in the tyres at the beginning of the safety car period stopped them doing what they could have done.
Vettel managed to get his setup fully on for the race, and he spent most of the race on new options, so we cannot really know how much faster he was than everyone, but imo it wasnt much.

please not this again, this is like torture

#116 Frank

Frank

• 191 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:18

Getting tyre to working temp or track temp that saw Alo surge or Kimi pacing himself?

#117 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,905 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:20

I know, eh? I hate that tunnel down in Maranello. why cant they work like they did in Canada???? :|

At least they extended the gap to mclaren in the WCC.

Edited by SCUDmissile, 04 November 2012 - 16:23.

#118 RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68

• 1,430 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:25

We're never gonna give up are we? We can take this to Brazil and WIN it! Forza Ferrari!

We're gonna be much much stronger at the next tracks, I can feel it!

#119 AlainProstX

AlainProstX

• 306 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:26

How is our record on the hard tire compound?

The medium seems to work well on the F2012, while the soft does not.

Advertisement

#120 fnz

fnz

• 2,138 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:28

We're gonna be much much stronger at the next tracks, I can feel it!

we don't just need to be much stronger, we need to be the strongest or it's over

#121 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,530 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:29

Anything beyond fantasy to back that up?

I think he believes that after blowing 2 curfews this weekend, Ferrari will be burning the midnight oil for the next fortnight. I know that some still appear eager to give up all hope, but that is not the Ferrari or the Alonso way. They need more rear downforce, and are busting their tails to get it. THEY WILL GET IT...OR DIE TRYING! We were not in the paddock or Maranello when they lost the WDC in 2010, but these guys were. They want this victory BAD, and that desire and determination may just make the difference in 2012. Red Bull are formidable, but, as we've seen, Vettel gets jumpy and rattled when he doesn't have an absolutely dominant car. I believe THE WILL of Ferrari and Fernando will not be denied! :cool:

Edited by PoleMan, 04 November 2012 - 16:31.

#122 ferrarijon123

ferrarijon123

• 851 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:31

That combination was used in Malaysia, Monza and Spa. Malaysia obviously can't be measured because of the rain and because of how bad the car was. The pace in Spa was very good by Massa although the qualifying wasn't great. Monza was very good but it might've been because of the track characteristics but in my opinion this is our best tyre combination.

#123 RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68

• 1,430 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:31

I think he believes that after blowing 2 curfews this weekend, Ferrari will be burning the midnight oil for the next fortnight. I know that some still appear eager to give up all hope, but that is not the Ferrari or the Alonso way. They need more rear downforce, and are busting their tails to get it. THEY WILL GET IT...OR DIE TRYING! We were not in the paddock or Maranello when the lost the WDC in 2010, but these guys were. They want this victory BAD, and that desire and determination may just make the difference in 2012. Red Bull are formidable, but, as we've seen, Vettel gets jumpy and rattled when he doesn't have an absolutely dominant car. I believe THE WILL of Ferrari and Fernando will not be denied! :cool:

:up: :up:

Come on Ferrari and Fernando!!

#124 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,227 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:36

I still haven't noticed that much difference in the competitiveness of the car in regards to tires. I think things like track temperatures and track characteristics play a larger part. The car seems to be far more consistent with its tire use than last year.

#125 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,880 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:39

Gene said that there will be a lot of updates for the American GP.

#126 fnz

fnz

• 2,138 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:45

No doubt they will bring updates, but will they work ?

#127 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,880 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:53

No doubt they will bring updates, but will they work ?

I think they will. Only the rear wing didn't produce what was expected this weekend.

Btw, Alonso confirmed he had trouble generating tyre temperature.

F1Zone: Alonso: "The two restarts we were a little slower than the people around. Definitely we suffer some warm up issue" #f1

On a positive note, Vettel's fastest lap was only a tenth faster than Alonso's.

#128 aray

aray

• 2,545 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:54

having the downforce sorted out is absolute necessity....otherwise RB will massacre them in S3 at Austin....it is perfect RB zone to me....

#129 fnz

fnz

• 2,138 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:56

If SV was giving it all on his fastest lap then SF race pace is top! Fred did his fastest time on an older and harder compound

#130 AlainProstX

AlainProstX

• 306 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:59

I still haven't noticed that much difference in the competitiveness of the car in regards to tires. I think things like track temperatures and track characteristics play a larger part. The car seems to be far more consistent with its tire use than last year.

I just noticed that Alonso struggled alot on the soft tire in the last races, while he did really well on the mediums.

#131 currupipi

currupipi

• 1,194 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 17:02

dont know how it is going to end but when the season is over i need a vacation, please gene may these updates finally get us up there :lol:

#132 bernardv

bernardv

• 123 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 17:03

We saw a familiar story with Massa - him complaning about loosing grip and wanting a pit stop (driving more than half the distance on softer rubber) and Smedley denying it with a stupid, patronising little 'motivational' speach. Right ater that Webber passed and also crashed Massa, resulting almost in DNF. Immediately, the very next lap, when his race was allready blown, they had no problem calling him in and changing his tyres!

#133 RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68

• 1,430 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 17:07

I think they will. Only the rear wing didn't produce what was expected this weekend.

F1Zone: Alonso: "The two restarts we were a little slower than the people around. Definitely we suffer some warm up issue" #f1

It's the first time I've noticed the tyre temp issue this season, Alonso has generally been very strong on restarts.

I'm feeling much more positive about the next two races plus Vettel can no longer afford to have any issues, Alonso is close enough now. We won't know until we see out pace at Austin but there's every reason to be hopeful IMO.

#134 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,227 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 17:07

If SV was giving it all on his fastest lap then SF race pace is top! Fred did his fastest time on an older and harder compound

I think if you look at Massa, you'll see the car wasn't nearly as good as Alonso's race and finishing position suggests. 4th quickest car, probably. Alonso was just really brilliant.

Not to say we're 4th quickest car in general, though. Hopefully Austin goes a bit better. I've got some reservations about some parts of the track, but I think its easy to get nervous anytime we look at a track map and start seeing squiggly bits. The season hasn't been very predictable, so I'm just gonna wait and see. Could be a nice surprise, maybe not. And then in Brazil, I think its where we'll have our best shot and maybe even some rain, who knows?

#135 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,530 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 17:11

Yes! And Vettel had fresher and grippier tires, and admitted he had a tough time getting past Button despite having DRS and taller gearing! :up: Ferrari made a step in this race, and it would be nice if the doom and gloom brigade (Not you 2183!) could acknowledge that. The race happening at dusk and the cooler evening temps helped mask that, I think, but as the tires heated up over longer runs, we could see that our boy was JUST FLYIN'! ;)

Edited by PoleMan, 04 November 2012 - 17:13.

#136 fnz

fnz

• 2,138 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 17:13

@seanspeed: forgive me, but i realy wasn't paying attention on FM's times... heartbeat 180 for an hour :)

#137 RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68

• 1,430 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 17:14

I think if you look at Massa, you'll see the car wasn't nearly as good as Alonso's race and finishing position suggests. 4th quickest car, probably. Alonso was just really brilliant.

Not to say we're 4th quickest car in general, though. Hopefully Austin goes a bit better. I've got some reservations about some parts of the track, but I think its easy to get nervous anytime we look at a track map and start seeing squiggly bits. The season hasn't been very predictable, so I'm just gonna wait and see. Could be a nice surprise, maybe not. And then in Brazil, I think its where we'll have our best shot and maybe even some rain, who knows?

Problem is a win for Seb and P3 for Alonso at Austin and it's all over. We HAVE to respond at the next race, we were given a reprieve here and I genuinely feel we can respond! This is the most positive I have felt in a long time.

#138 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,530 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 17:19

To be a bit fairer to Massa, his car is a bit behind in updates and he did appear pretty quick in Quali. Probably would have been higher up the grid if not for the couple of lockups (which might have been behind his advanced tire wear.).

#139 Gintonious

Gintonious

• 968 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 17:22

Bit of a bittersweet day, Vettel had some serious luck today.

Advertisement

#140 walkindude

walkindude

• 867 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 17:25

Can anyone make a gif of Alonso signalling to his team as he got on the podium?That really was a look into his personality.He is so charged up

#141 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,880 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 17:27

Massa was doing quite fine till after the first safety car and let's not forget that Massa has nowhere near the parts that Alonso has. As far as I can tell, of the visible parts, he only has the floor and diffuser and maybe the new brake ducts.

It would have helped had the team also brought him in instead of leaving him out on tyres which were clearly long past their best.

#142 RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68

• 1,430 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 17:29

Massa was doing quite fine till after the first safety car and let's not forget that Massa has nowhere near the parts that Alonso has. As far as I can tell, of the visible parts, he only has the floor and diffuser and maybe the new brake ducts.

It would have helped had the team also brought him in instead of leaving him out on tyres which were clearly long past their best.

Not sure why Rob was so intent on him having to stay out, the harder tyre easily could have got to the end of the race at that stage.

#143 tmprikol

tmprikol

• 48 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 17:29

and dont forget that Vettel was on fresher SOFT tires

#144 Motorbreath

Motorbreath

• 157 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 17:36

That 3rd sector was a beast for Alonso today, so much faster than Vettel and Button

#145 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,227 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 17:36

Problem is a win for Seb and P3 for Alonso at Austin and it's all over. We HAVE to respond at the next race, we were given a reprieve here and I genuinely feel we can respond! This is the most positive I have felt in a long time.

Oh yea I know. I'm still not expecting to win the championship, but I'd still like to see Ferrari get more competitive.

I'm pretty sure they said that the only thing Massa didn't have was the new front wing.

#146 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 1,185 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 17:37

That 3rd sector was a beast for Alonso today, so much faster than Vettel and Button

Another 3 laps and Alonso would have been eating Kimi alive. Car performed great.

#147 fololo

fololo

• 960 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 17:38

What was shocking in the first stint with hamilton ... hamilton was destroying everybody in s3 almost 1sec he was gaining there

#148 RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68

• 1,430 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 17:39

Worth noting that Vettel was on a bit of a compromised setup in terms of outright pace.

#149 Motorbreath

Motorbreath

• 157 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 17:39

The updates have worked, for the race, the pace is up there if not better than the Bulls.

Edited by Motorbreath, 04 November 2012 - 17:40.

#150 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,880 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 17:41

Oh yea I know. I'm still not expecting to win the championship, but I'd still like to see Ferrari get more competitive.

I'm pretty sure they said that the only thing Massa didn't have was the new front wing.

No front wing, no turning vanes under the nose, no rear wing. I think he only has the nappy diffuser, floor and brake ducts.