• 575 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:29

I'm so happy it hurts! :cry:

Advertisement

#952 harrys

harrys

• 294 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:29

I am now very close to being of the opinion that anyone who causes a safety car through careless driving should receive an automatic one-race ban. It's too easy at the moment for some muppets scrapping for 8th or 15th place to ruin the work done by the leader in building a gap, and allow others to benefit unfairly. Because the safety is so good these days, some drivers are just completely reckless. That Perez/Grosjean incident - dear me, disgraceful driving.

#953 HP

HP

• 14,151 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:30

Entertaining race, that was interesting for large parts. No matter the fave driver, it's one of those races that make F1 the spectacle it is. Didn't think Vettel would make it to P3, but here he is. He had lots of fortune though.

Surely mclaren need a massive change in their whole approach to this sport now. This season they've had the fastest car for the majority of the races, one of the top 3 fastest (if not THE fastest) driver in the world and they end up with said driver out of the championship with 2 races remaining (realistically 4 or 5 races remaining) and most likely 3rd in the championship. And to top it all off they also lose their star driver. That is a massive disaster really...

Agreed. They also lost ground to Ferrari in the WCC on a day where they could have closed the gap again.

But as so often, when someone of the Mclaren brass claims they have sorted out their issues, something else happens. Kind of wierd that their failures seem to be amoving target.

#954 speng

speng

• 1,246 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:30

Vettel trying to be a topper !!!

Yes, a Kimi wanna be

#955 Verbal

Verbal

• 21 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:31

Vettel drops the F-bomb to DC and in front of the whole world! :lol:

Most of the world couldn't care less. Seriously, what's the big deal?

#956 ali.unal

ali.unal

• 3,199 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:32

Hamilton: "Sebastian must be the luckiest driver in Formula 1."

:rolleyes:

#957 Sapphiresteel

Sapphiresteel

• 58 posts

(drivel snipped)

Bitter eh. :cool:

#958 choyothe

choyothe

• 2,312 posts

what about safety car Seb moment when he errupts..i think it was Ricciardo in front of him when Vettel almost hit him ...;)

:up: , Vettel does it in Singapore, everybody scream a penalty for him, Ricciardo does it to Vettel, everyone saying it's Vettel's fault. Cool stuff.

#959 f1fastestlap

f1fastestlap

• 1,755 posts

Don't like the truth? :lol:

Advertisement

#960 RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68

• 1,410 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:33

I am now very close to being of the opinion that anyone who causes a safety car through careless driving should receive an automatic one-race ban. It's too easy at the moment for some muppets scrapping for 8th or 15th place to ruin the work done by the leader in building a gap, and allow others to benefit unfairly. Because the safety is so good these days, some drivers are just completely reckless. That Perez/Grosjean incident - dear me, disgraceful driving.

The driving throughout the field today was appalling. Amateur hour.

Superb win from Kimi and a brilliant, relentless drive from Alonso again.

Vettel was messy and lucky to get away with it. Solid drive but he didn't really have to properly pass anyone except JB and Grosjean. His pass on JB was very good though.

Nobody else impressed me to be honest, Kobayashi kept his nose clean I guess.

Edited by RockyRaccoon68, 04 November 2012 - 15:33.

#961 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,587 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:34

I really can't believe that I almost decided not to watch this race! I think that the 2012 Valencia and Abu Dhabi races have taught us something... NEVER assume a race will be bad beforehand, regardless of which track it is!

#962 Nigol

Nigol

• 1,001 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:35

More a show than a race.

#963 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:35

Churchill (paraphrasing)

Yes, I know he is brilliant, but is he lucky too..?

#964 fatd

fatd

• 800 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:37

For people who keeps saying Vettel was lucky bcs of the SCs... actually you should really blame other drivers who crashes into each other, spinning, and just doing many things that result in unnecessary pitstops that make things easier for Vettel. They could've given him harder time really.

#965 DS27

DS27

• 941 posts

as gracious as ever.

#966 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 549 posts

The most popular win of the year?

I don't know what to say about McLaren. The design team can obviously build quick cars. Lewis isn't too shabby at getting them around the track. At some point during assembly/manufacture something is going very wrong. This is a long-term problem from at least the Hakkinen/Coulthard years.

#967 petri

petri

• 1,618 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:38

I like Vettel even more, he said the F -word and DC was so confused. :D Well, maybe the presence of his mate Kimi had a part of it. Kimi was a comedian, too!

Edited by petri, 04 November 2012 - 15:39.

#968 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 549 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:39

For people who keeps saying Vettel was lucky bcs of the SCs... actually you should really blame other drivers who crashes into each other, spinning, and just doing many things that result in unnecessary pitstops that make things easier for Vettel. They could've given him harder time really.

Agreed. Of course the safety cars helped. Racing is about taking advantage of the opportunities presented.

#969 RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68

• 1,410 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:41

I don't blame Vettel, fair play he drove the car to third place and he deserves it but the over the top praise of a sloppy drive isn't warranted.

#970 MP422

MP422

• 1,708 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:42

Yea bro the fastest guy out there said that !!

#971 Galko877

Galko877

• 4,160 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:43

Vettel was so-so lucky to start from the back of the grid! Luck has to be balanced out, so I hope Alonso has that luck next time around! ;)

#972 Lada Lover

Lada Lover

• 4,075 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:44

I like Vettel even more, he said the F -word and DC was so confused. :D Well, maybe the presence of his mate Kimi had a part of it. Kimi was a comedian, too!

He did? I tuned Vettel out as he was too detail oriented. DC didn't look so pleased with Kimi though after having a laugh about him during the race.

#973 fatd

fatd

• 800 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:45

I don't blame Vettel, fair play he drove the car to third place and he deserves it but the over the top praise of a sloppy drive isn't warranted.

Yes, there were indeed some sloppy moments but over the top insult for that isn't warranted either I guess :D

#974 Lada Lover

Lada Lover

• 4,075 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:46

My impression of the race. Does anybody there know how to drive a car?

#975 LiJu914

LiJu914

• 1,776 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:46

I guess Jenson´s race last year in Canada was a poor drive in your eyes as well, right? At least he was involved in several incidents and without the race stoppage and several SC-periods he would´ve been lapped, before he had his "last 20 laps-show"...

Funnily some people (including himself) say, it was his best race ever.

#976 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,515 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:47

Shame for Lewis who looked set for a dominant victory today, but reliability has always been a big part of this game. :cry:

Nice, inherited win for Kimi, but he made a demon start and put in the fast laps after Lewis went out. Good job in his return year. :up:

Good fortune for Fernando, as well, but what a strong drive! :love: Great start and overtaking moves on FASTER CARS, and EXCEPTIONAL JOB in keeping those faster cars behind after the safety car periods. Needed just a couple more laps to gobble up Kimi, but a great result, nonetheless, and makes a small dent in Sebastian's lead. :up:

What a recovery for Sebastian, but proves the adage that it's better to be lucky than good (And he is VERY GOOD!). Had a rough start, breaking his wing in the first few corners, then the overreaction to Ricciardo, but he also had to make an extra stop, and had the pace and was in the right place to benefit from the demolition derby that took place in front of him. Excellent damage limitation! :up: If he goes on to do a threepeat, this race will be a key factor in his claiming that WDC. :D

Not many other standout drives today, except for maybe Senna. Finishing drivers should get a bumper sticker saying "I Survived the Grand Prix of Abu Dhabi!" Certainly wasn't a borefest. :lol:

Edited by PoleMan, 04 November 2012 - 15:50.

#977 RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68

• 1,410 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:48

I guess Jenson´s race last year in Canada was a poor drive in your eyes as well, right? At least he was involved in several incidents and without the race stoppage and several SC-periods he would´ve been lapped, before he had his "last 20 laps-show"...

Funnily some people (including himself) say, it was his best race ever.

Yes, I also felt that was a completely over hyped drive.

#978 anti

anti

• 377 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:53

Race: :: Pit :: Best lap :: Lap Chart :: History graph

#979 Raziel

Raziel

• 2,078 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:55

Seb says the F-word, RBR should be penalised!

Naaah Hamilton will be penalized for that! Expect 5 grid penalty for Lewis at Austin!

:p :D

Advertisement

#980 LiJu914

LiJu914

• 1,776 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:58

Yes, I also felt that was a completely over hyped drive.

Fair enough.

But i think Vettel´s luck was not as big as it might have looked for some people. After the 1st SC-period he was still virtually last (cos of the nose change) and even without the second SC-period he would´ve finished fourth.
Some of the carnage happened, when he was already ahead of these guys (Perez, Webber, Grosjean e.g.) and i don´t think that e.g. passing Rosberg or di Resta or whoever was out, before SV could actually pass him, would´ve held him up for so long, that it would´ve made a big difference...

Edited by LiJu914, 04 November 2012 - 15:58.

#981 as65p

as65p

• 17,015 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:00

Well, before the weekend I would have been overjoyed with FA 2nd, SV 3rd, but as it went it feels like a lost opportunity.

The main worry is still the same, however, the Ferrari is too slow to hold off Vettel if the latter doesn't run into some kind of trouble.

Aside from all that, very happy for Räikönnen, serene drive and brilliant over the radio! :p

#982 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Sorry, he may have been a bit sloppy, but his situation was desperate. But he more than made up for it. And that is after he had his own share of misfortunes with unscheduled pit stops. He was absolutely flying today. His pass on Button to make up 3 crucial points! :love:

#983 BigWicks

BigWicks

• 750 posts

Well, if Red Bull hadn't messed up the fuel Vettel would have won today with Alonso 3rd at best so luck is a very subjective thing.

#984 Ashitank

Ashitank

• 394 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:06

Anyone questioning Seb´s ability to charge can just sod off. Great drive. Then again, anyone claiming Felipe is worth something as a racer can also spend a quiet moment...

Kimi so deservedly took the victory today!!

Yeah sure lets modify every body's car in pit lane with set-up geared for race & then watch the results :rolleyes:

#985 skyform

skyform

• 426 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:08

Well, if Red Bull hadn't messed up the fuel Vettel would have won today with Alonso 3rd at best so luck is a very subjective thing.

Well if Hamilton's car wouldn't breaked down today he would have won and if Mclaren wouldn't have messed Hamilton's races like 100 times, he would be leading the championship right now. Sorry but Vettel luck is very good compared to Hamilton's luck. Schumacher and Hamilton have been the unluckiest drivers this year.

#986 berni19

berni19

• 97 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:09

if i reckon correctly there was also pass from Vettel in the left side ( i dont remember who was the second driver) on blue marked grid which is not allowed. I think in RTL TV commented that and shows playback of that moment..

#987 sharo

sharo

• 1,763 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:11

if i reckon correctly there was also pass from Vettel in the left side ( i dont remember who was the second driver) on blue marked grid which is not allowed. I think in RTL TV commented that and shows playback of that moment..

He gave back the position and overtook again.

#988 Racer3

Racer3

• 383 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:12

Exactly. @berni19: It was against Grosjean.

#989 exogenesis1203

exogenesis1203

• 181 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:13

Well if Hamilton's car wouldn't breaked down today he would have won and if Mclaren wouldn't have messed Hamilton's races like 100 times, he would be leading the championship right now. Sorry but Vettel luck is very good compared to Hamilton's luck. Schumacher and Hamilton have been the unluckiest drivers this year.

Not really, have we all forgotten Vettel's alternators?
Alonso is the lucky one this year.

#990 sheepgobba

sheepgobba

• 1,060 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:14

Monza, Spa, Suzuka?

#991 peroa

peroa

• 8,802 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:16

Well, Vettel surely made a mess of it in the first half and was incredibly lucky with the SC's. Not sure how his driving up to that point deserved such luck.

#992 berni19

berni19

• 97 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:17

aha..ok thank you...didnt see this...anyway a lot of debatable moment specially with all this accidents specially in turn one...for me great decision of RB to call Vettel in for 2nd stop as he started to lose time...nice timing there..

#993 skyform

skyform

• 426 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:18

I was comparing Vettel's and Hamilton's luck, Alonso's luck is the best, that's true, but Vettel's luck is still far better then Hamilton's. Hamilton lost freaking 50 points only in Singapore and today, not to mention everything else. He should easily be in the battle for the WC while he is only in 5th place.

Edited by skyform, 04 November 2012 - 16:18.

#994 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Yeah sure lets modify every body's car in pit lane with set-up geared for race & then watch the results :rolleyes:

Well, everyone is free to set up the car for the race and qualify on compromised positions. Too bad Vettel is the only one who had to start absolutely last.

#995 fastwriter

fastwriter

• 173 posts

You can watch that every GP with Ferrari. They do it, because they know, that they stand no chance in Qualifying. Makes life much easier for Alonso in the races. His passes only come from superior top speed on the straights.

Shit happend today for all SV haters - but they still try to hang on :lol:

#996 Konsta

Konsta

• 1,739 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:24

You can watch that every GP with Ferrari. They do it, because they know, that they stand no chance in Qualifying. Makes life much easier for Alonso in the races. His passes only come from superior top speed on the straights.

Yes, for some it is just too much to take to see Seb charging and getting the reward for that to boot. No matter what he still started from the back of the field and overtook at least 30 times methinks. I also cannot understand how FA´s overtake on RoGro (in Valencia) was better than Seb´s on JB today.

#997 Ashitank

Ashitank

• 394 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:30

proving my point, Fernando delivers much more in lesser equipment than other who have luxury to screw - up & order sister teams to move out of way to make up places.

#998 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:34

I really can't believe that I almost decided not to watch this race! I think that the 2012 Valencia and Abu Dhabi races have taught us something... NEVER assume a race will be bad beforehand, regardless of which track it is!

lol had to think of all those negative gits b*tching about the Abu Dhabi races and how the season is all boring and dull now that Vettel is dominating. Only for this amazing race to happen :lol:

What a race, what a podium, Raikkonen with a superb drive, Alonso wringing every little bit from that Ferrari and the mega comeback from Seb Vettel.
Great stuff and great for F1 :up:

#999 JamesHunt

JamesHunt

• 303 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:36

Kimi about radio replies: "I mean I know the team is there to help but I'm not a big fan of being told things as I know what to do"

Advertisement

#1000 Racer3

Racer3

• 383 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:37

What a race, what a podium, Raikkonen with a superb drive, Alonso wringing every little bit from that Ferrari and the mega comeback from Seb Vettel.
Great stuff and great for F1 :up:

This. Great race of 3 great champions - lol at all the poor creatures that still keep on moaning and bitching. Beyond comprehension...