Photo

Vettels Race

• Please log in to reply
403 replies to this topic

#401 krea

krea

• 710 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:09

How is it luck if Vettel was so fast that he could stay ahead after his second pitstop?
Are all "pitstop overtakes" "lucky now? And it was not even that his pitstop was fast or even normal but slow compared to the other drivers.

Advertisement

#402 Cesc

Cesc

• 760 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:10

There's a massive difference between Monaco 2010 and Abu Dhabi 2012. Alonso overtook just 5 cars on-track: Bruno Senna (HRT), Karun Chandhok (HRT), Lucas di Grassi (Virgin), Timo Glock (Virgin) and Heikki Kovalainen (Lotus). Vettel overtoke twice as many backmarkers AND twice as many non-backmarkers in Abu Dhabi.

Massive, indeed. Overtaking in Monaco is almost impossible unless you have a car 4 or 5 seconds faster than the one in front and without DRS. Overtaking in Abu Dhabi, with a +1Km strainght + DRS sounds to me more than reasonable.

#403 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:32

This paragraph by Adam Cooper sums it up:

A remarkable performance then, but one in which luck also played a major part. Some things may have worked against him, but overall the pieces fell into place, and it's intriguing that the only top-10 qualifiers he physically passed on track were Grosjean and Button, although he was set to slip by Webber when the sister Red Bull pitted. Had it been a dull, processional race with 24 cars at the flag, he would not have got close to third place

Cooper makes a definite statement regarding Seb's race end position, but he is short on analysis how he arrived to such conclusion. I didn't bother with analyses either (instead just enjoying race as it evolved in real time), but I felt that P4 was possible, SC notwithstanding. Admittedly, initially quite pessimistically before race I would have been content with P9 or P8 at best.

#404 jk

jk

• 1,750 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 13:31

Definately agree that P4 was possible without any SC. How far was he behind Maldonado at the first SC and how much did he pull away from him after the final SC?