Is this true?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 21:52

http://www.britcycle...ies_of_Mike.pdf

This popped up when I was searching for a story about SMBH & Ago.

Advertisement

#2 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 22:18

it most certainly is.

#3 larryd

larryd

• 676 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 23:59

it most certainly is.

Second that, Gary - and she is one hell of a nice lady, and a very good friend !!

Edited by larryd, 07 November 2012 - 00:02.

#4 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:02

I always admire people who are able to report a conversation literally even after a couple of decades...and it's getting spooky in the end :rolleyes: :stoned:

Edited by Rennmax, 07 November 2012 - 10:03.

#5 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:18

'and she is one hell of a nice lady, and a very good friend !!'
Snap!

#6 SMonty

SMonty

• 80 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:11

WOW!!!

Absolutely mind blowing.

#7 RC162

RC162

• 332 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 19:42

These kind of things never cease to amaze me. I don't know if any of you remember a rider called Peter Warden who was killed at Cadwell in 1988 I think. He was local to me and when he died his partner, who was pregnant at the time, sought the words of a psychic and was told that she was carrying a girl and that she was to take the fireplace with her if she sold the house they had together. Peter had built the fireplace and was proud of it and had always said if they moved he was taking it with them. Now the baby is a 50/50 guess but the fireplace is a different thing altogether. She was told many other things that were personal to her and Peter which gave her some comfort and the peace to know he was ok.

#8 greg1953

greg1953

• 430 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:37

One of the things that stands out from the modern era is that the majority of the riders were mates, Stoner recently stated "all the Moto GP riders hate each other" . I can remember predictions from the Roberts & Sheene time that Grand Prix motorcycle racing would go the same way as F1 cars, and it's proved to be true, even team mates dislike each other.
Greg

#9 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:57

One of the things that stands out from the modern era is that the majority of the riders were mates, Stoner recently stated "all the Moto GP riders hate each other" . I can remember predictions from the Roberts & Sheene time that Grand Prix motorcycle racing would go the same way as F1 cars, and it's proved to be true, even team mates dislike each other.
Greg

One of the reasons of the change is the fact that riders were , in the most , normal ' blokes ' with no airs and graces , were hugely approachable , while being superstars , nothing appeared to be to much trouble , interviews , autographs etc , and the clubhouse was a great meeting/drinking/ fun place for all , after the days events , can you see that happening now , with the over-hyped , PR machines and highly inflated egos which abound at today's fenced off segregated circuits ?? , no ?? me neither :rolleyes: , :well: , and iv'e been around a long time !!! ( to long , some would say :p )

#10 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 19:42

One of the reasons of the change is the fact that riders were , in the most , normal ' blokes ' with no airs and graces , were hugely approachable , while being superstars , nothing appeared to be to much trouble , interviews , autographs etc , and the clubhouse was a great meeting/drinking/ fun place for all , after the days events , can you see that happening now , with the over-hyped , PR machines and highly inflated egos which abound at today's fenced off segregated circuits ?? , no ?? me neither :rolleyes: , :well: , and iv'e been around a long time !!! ( to long , some would say :p )

Hailwood would arrive at Brands with a couple of Hondas in a Bedford Dormobile van. If he was lucky, he'd be under the corrigated shelters - if not out on the knackered tarmac. He'd be surrounded by fans when he started up the bikes and sat in the fenced off area by the tunnel.

Then, the caravans/motorhomes arrived and the fans would be kept back by ropes and the riders would only appear when they were going out on track. Only a few, like Sheene would make an effort to chat to the fans.

Now the top riders spend all day in the pits and never meet a fan without there being a couple of fences and 50 ft between them. At GP's the MotoGP riders are even separated from the other 2 classes in their own special paddock.

Exactly how a rider can get a fan base is beyond me.

#11 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 19:43

I always admire people who are able to report a conversation literally even after a couple of decades...and it's getting spooky in the end :rolleyes: :stoned:

Had me a bit worried too.

#12 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,523 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 20:55

Hailwood would arrive at Brands with a couple of Hondas in a Bedford Dormobile van.

I think this one has a personalised number plate-

Posted Image