• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 tarmac

tarmac

• 1,155 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 22:12

http://translate.goo...d...tml&act=url

Race at Magny Cours on 23 June 2013?
Ecclestone's Paul Ricard no chance. "If we go to France, then at Magny-Cours" There, the GP circus had gas benefits from 1991 to 2008. The date is already envisaged. The 23rd June 2013, a week before Silverstone. "Would it make sense, does it?" Asks Ecclestone back with a wink. That is with him almost a kind of consent.

Advertisement

#2 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 980 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 22:16

Not surprising with so many French drivers on the grid now, shouldn't have left the calendar at all really. The translation is a bit odd :drunk: , so found an article about it in English.

Source: F1SA
Ecclestone names date for possible Magny Cours return in 2013 - Bernie Ecclestone has named Magny Cours as the likely venue for a 2013 French Formula One Grand Prix.

Quadruple World Champion Alain Prost was in Abu Dhabi last weekend for talks with the Formula 1 Chief Executive about Paul Ricard's race bid, and potential investors.

But Ecclestone is quoted by Germany's Auto Motor und Sport: "If we go to France (next year), it will be Magny Cours."

The country has been missing from the Formula 1 calendar since Magny Cours, located in rural France some 250 kilometres from Paris, last hosted the sport in 2008.

With three French drivers now on the grid, Ecclestone and France are contemplating the race's revival, after the 2013 calendar shrank from 20 to 19 races due to the problems in New Jersey.

Paul Ricard was until now considered the obvious favourite, partly due to the Le Castellet venue's links to Ecclestone.

But Ecclestone insisted Paul Ricard is not owned by him but is merely part of his family trust called Bambino, which is "nothing to do with me".

"If we go to France, it will be Magny Cours," he added.

The 82 year old Briton goes so far as to admit a potential date is lined up, 23 June, the week before Silverstone.

"That would make sense, wouldn't it?" said Ecclestone.

New Jersey was set to take place next June 16, the week after Canada, but the race's delay has now caused a theoretical three week gap between Canada and Britain.

#3 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,248 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 22:49

That would be most welcome. It isn't a particularly inspiring circuit but given the choice of Tilkedrome or Magny-Cours, it's the latter every day.

#4 PorcupineTroy

PorcupineTroy

• 302 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 22:55

I remember as a kid circa 2001 I thought this was the worst track on the calendar, behind even the Hungaroring. Nowadays, there are definitely worse circuits, and I'm all for another European round!

#5 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 22:56

Great news! I always found Magny Cours one of the most fun circuits to race on in the 2006 F1 game! :) Challenging long right hander at the start, the lefthander through which actually different lines are raced by the drivers followed by those two fast chicanes!

Edited by F.M., 06 November 2012 - 22:57.

#6 KingB

KingB

• 348 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 22:59

wouldn't this conflict with Le Mans? It's on 22nd and 23rd June too :lol:

#7 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,507 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 23:16

Might make some interesting racing with Pirelli and DRS. Some long corners, difficult to pass cleanly, presumably quite an old track surface.

The other way to look at it is that GP2 and GP3 would gain an extra round.

Edited by Risil, 06 November 2012 - 23:18.

#8 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 10,985 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 23:59

I would prefer a race at Le Castellet (Paul Ricard) over Magny Cours.

#9 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 980 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 00:12

The other way to look at it is that GP2 and GP3 would gain an extra round.

It would make a huge amount of sense, given the crazy rumour that floated around of adding a Canadian round to the GP2 calendar next year. Way to make an expensive series costs' more astronomical.

Btw, your avatar (if that's the right word) is it an ostrich or an elephant head with an ostrich sock puppet on his trunk? :confused:

#10 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 00:22

It's a nice track to drive but the race will probably be dull. The track is pretty tough on tires too, IIRC.

#11 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,507 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 00:35

Btw, your avatar (if that's the right word) is it an ostrich or an elephant head with an ostrich sock puppet on his trunk? :confused:

That magnificent beast is an ostrelephant. Many years ago I made a commitment only to display avatars from Japanese video games, I don't remember why, only that it's very important that I continue to do so.

Edited by Risil, 07 November 2012 - 00:36.

#12 nada12

nada12

• 460 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 00:49

That would be most welcome. It isn't a particularly inspiring circuit but given the choice of Tilkedrome or Magny-Cours, it's the latter every day.

Totally agree. Never thought I'd actually be happy to see Magny Cours on the calendar but here I am.

#13 Tiakumosan

Tiakumosan

• 1,290 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 00:59

If it will be a better race than Jersey, :up: :up:

#14 S3baman

S3baman

• 2,864 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:30

I would have prefer Paul Ricard over Magny Cours, but France needed to be on the calendar with all the French drivers on the grid and a French FIA president, so I'm happy in that regard. I hope that the race won't be as boring as it usually is however, apart from 2004 which was fantastic, although there weren't many overtakes. Seeing MS doing 70 qualy laps was absolutely brilliant.

#15 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:46

Yuyyyyeeeeeessssssssss!!!!!

#16 Eff One 2002

Eff One 2002

• 1,132 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:48

Hmm. I was kind looking foward to a race on the streets of New Jersey, too...

#17 teejay

teejay

• 6,129 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:15

It's a nice track to drive but the race will probably be dull. The track is pretty tough on tires too, IIRC.

Tough on tires = odds of dull race greatly reduced

#18 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,067 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:14

wouldn't this conflict with Le Mans? It's on 22nd and 23rd June too :lol:

Yes it would, which is why I personally think one of two things will happen: 1) there will be no race at Magny-Cours, or 2) less than 0 people will be in the grandstands. Bernie is underestimating how big of an event Le Mans is in France.

#19 Peat

Peat

• 8,837 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:28

I'd go with no.1. This is just a game, there is no ignorance involved in the choice of date.

Advertisement

#20 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,993 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:45

If this was to happen (which it won't) and the decision to head there was made within a few months from now ,then ACO would most likely move Le Mans one week back to it's original date, in order to avoid yet another clash. Obviously that would seriously ruin everyone's camping, hotel and logistics plans though.

But yes, it is 99% certain that this is just nonsense, or otherwise the F1 guys are the biggest fools ever. Le Mans would draw all the crowds

#21 GotYoubyTheBalls

GotYoubyTheBalls

• 301 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:10

Great track and nice scenery although Tilke needs to be brought in to create some passing oppurtunities.

#22 LiJu914

LiJu914

• 2,375 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:15

Great track and nice scenery although Tilke needs to be brought in to create some passing oppurtunities.

The main straight should be good enough with DRS.

#23 mkoscevic

mkoscevic

• 681 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:43

Great news, Magny Course is a very nice track. :up: :up:

#24 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,548 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 14:00

If this was to happen (which it won't) and the decision to head there was made within a few months from now ,then ACO would most likely move Le Mans one week back to it's original date, in order to avoid yet another clash. Obviously that would seriously ruin everyone's camping, hotel and logistics plans though.

But yes, it is 99% certain that this is just nonsense, or otherwise the F1 guys are the biggest fools ever. Le Mans would draw all the crowds

Bernie doesn't care about crowd numbers, it's the circuits problem. Nothing but yet another rumour though so I wouldn't put any trust in it.

And if we're ever going to have another race in France, I would rather see Paul Ricard.

#25 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,658 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 14:20

Only race I saw a purpose 4 stopper was there with MS 2004. I love that track!

#26 TheManAlive

TheManAlive

• 2,800 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 14:20

Sarcasm or serious??? Tilke should be banned from all race tracks!!

#27 Currahee

Currahee

• 596 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 16:56

Tilke should be banned from all race tracks!!

:up:

I like Magny Cours. Decent enough track and France deserves a race.

The campsites are party central too.  ;)

#28 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 17:01

I think the season would be better with another street track or two so I was looking forward to the New Jersey race.

I'm all for France getting a GP back, but Magny Cours is not exactly a track I'm going to be cheering about in place of the street race I wanted.

#29 Dino2000

Dino2000

• 99 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 17:42

The problem about Magny Cours is that the place is in the middle of nowhere, Nevers is about 270 Km south of Paris, and there are not too many hotels in the area.

I raced there in the early noughties and had to book in a terrible Ibis hotel. The track lyout is great, and the countryside around is beautiful. There is a great restaurant called "La Cheminée" close to the track, wonderful wine and meat... great memories.

However I doubt that in the current economical crisis in Europe a GP would be funded in Magny Cours. My bet for this slot in the calendar is Mexico City GP at the Hermanos Rodriguez track.