Photo

McLaren uses young driver test for development tests

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mnmracer

mnmracer

• 1,972 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 23:09

McLaren's choice to run 31-year old Gary Paffett in the Abu Dhabi Young Driver Test seemed a little odd, considering the Britt is an actual test driver for McLaren, and has been since 2006.

As it turns out now, McLaren decided to use the afternoon of the Young Driver Test as an actual test, rather than to give young drivers a chance:

Gary Paffett undertook the afternoon’s running, undertaking a challenging programme primarily focusing on evaluating a wide number of aerodynamic and suspension developments – either for imminent use in the final two races, or for future development for next year’s car.

Test updates for your car, sure, but deploying your regular test driver who you're not considering for a seat rather than giving a young driver a chance, I feel is not what this test is intended for. There's nothing technically wrong with it, but it just feels like poor form. :down:
At least Caterham is actually considering van der Garde, who joined their team only this year, and giving him a chance to show himself.

Edited by mnmracer, 06 November 2012 - 23:09.

Advertisement

#2 sharo

sharo

• 1,792 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 23:15

With that crazy ban on testing I don't blame them.

#3 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 23:16

they are giving Magnussen two half days, beyond that McLaren aren't looking for a "young driver", Paffet and Turvey meet the criteria, who cares what they do with their dime and track time. Would you suddenly feel warm and fuzzy if they rented out the car for half a day to some random chinese dude?

#4 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,365 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 23:29

I can not fault McLaren for doing any and everything allowed under the rules. And I am happy to see Kevin do as well as he did, even if he is 2 seconds of the Pole time of the weekend, I do not envision that he was give a run on super softs, with next to no fuel in the car.

:cool:

#5 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 11,074 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 23:53

At least Caterham is actually considering van der Garde, who joined their team only this year, and giving him a chance to show himself.

Corrected: "At least Caterham is actually considering the money of van der Garde,..."

#6 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 3,175 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 00:39

I agree, not really in the spirit of the thing