Photo

Drivers warned about bad language

• Please log in to reply
373 replies to this topic

#51 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 16:30

An other thing is that it is just plain hypocrite. Like in tennis: players get warnings for swearing etc. when they say it in English. But a lot of (Spanish) guys swear and scream in their native language and nothing is said about it because the referee doesn't understand them...

Edited by F.M., 08 November 2012 - 16:31.

Advertisement

#52 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 16:31

Pathetic!

What's almost as pathetic is people that find the verb "to **** up" a swearword :drunk:

Um, but f'ck most definately is a swear word.

Swear words can be fun, and also powerful. I personally wouldn't want them to be neutured through over use or becoming sterilised. Words aren't just random sounds, they carry meaning. If f'ck became a standard word like shoe or bunny rabbit, then where do we go to express our emotion when we really need an outlet?

F'ck is most definately a swear word, and I believe we are richer for having them. But I still think there is a time and a place, and Seb knew exactly what he was doing (Kimi too, but I also tend to think this is Kimi's way of saying - I don't want to talk on live TV, this is what I have to say, take it or leave it). I don't understand the outrage among some F1 fans that the authorities have given the drivers a very gentle reminder about basic media training. After all as said above, even footballers manage this one ok.

Edited by spacekid, 08 November 2012 - 16:33.

#53 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 2,977 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 16:32

Pathetic.

I don't find 1-2 swear words offensive.

What I find offensive is the mindless shite tv channels are constantly pumping out these days. Ie reality tripe, big brother, strictly, X factor, britains got no talent and other mindless garbage.

Maybe I should complain to the BBC about that trash rotting people's minds...

#54 kismet

kismet

• 7,015 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 16:33

Two things: 1) I kind of love how it was specified that one person only commented while others complained, and 2) I don't really consider 'shit' to be a proper swear word. I mean, technically, I know it is but it's such a tame, diluted-in-excessive-usage word that it barely registers as a bad word anymore. And if I'm being perfectly honest, I tend to think "people give me so much shit" simply relays the message and the accompanying sentiment so much more accurately and honestly than "I have received what I consider to be a disproportionate amount of negative feedback" that I, quite frankly, prefer the former. But I have no class so there's that. Maybe I'd feel differently if I had a personality but I guess we'll never find out.

Edited by kismet, 08 November 2012 - 16:41.

#55 Lights

Lights

• 9,458 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 16:35

They want emotion, they get emotion, they complain.

#56 03011969

• 498 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 16:39

This is a whole other debate. Words can, have been and still are used to humiliate, denigrate and discriminate against people. There's a very obvious example of a word beginning with N which, if an interview used to criticize a black driver on TV, would certainly cause offense. And justifiably so.

'Nigel'?

#57 uffen

uffen

• 900 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 16:39

This is not emotion or adrenalin or openness, it is just coarse and crude. Are these guys in high school? They represent their countries, the sponsors, the team, and, especially as world champions (and a current WC!) they represent the efforts and ideals of the FIA.
The language is unnecessary and they debase themselves and the sport with their casual, public cursing.

I can curse, I know what the words mean, how to use them in a sentence and I can spell them correctly. Nevertheless, there is a time and place.
Grow up guys.

Edited by uffen, 08 November 2012 - 16:40.

#58 P123

P123

• 8,391 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 16:48

They want emotion, they get emotion, they complain.

What emotion? Vettel over the radio? Yeah that was fine. And swearing then would be fairly normal. A little bit of road rage. Except he didn't. :well:

Cussing during the post race interviews for the sake of it..... erm, they're not high school kids anymore, are they?

#59 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 6,326 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 16:48

3 races ban, say I.

Advertisement

#60 MP422

MP422

• 1,860 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 16:49

Kimi was being Kimi, and Vettel copied him.

Yep !

#61 Absulute

Absulute

• 873 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 16:53

At least he didn't say ****

#62 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 9,890 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 16:54

**** that shit

#63 Uwe

Uwe

• 706 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 16:56

"This is the FIA. They want emotions on the podium. And when they get them they are becoming emotional too and start to cry. Harden the f*** up, FIA!"

#64 MonacoMaster

MonacoMaster

• 104 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 17:01

In Finnish 'shit' (paska) isn't that bad of a word so maybe Kimi didn't even realize how horrible thing he was going to do when he said it.

#65 mmmm

mmmm

• 140 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 17:06

Vettel to Kimi in telly after the race: "At least now the "mulkut" will shut up"

Kimi: " Maybe. They allways come up with something"

Now we know. translate "mulkku" with googletrl.

#66 mmmm

mmmm

• 140 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 17:07

In Finnish 'shit' (paska) isn't that bad of a word so maybe Kimi didn't even realize how horrible thing he was going to do when he said it.

He could always say simply PERKELE. Right.

#67 Lights

Lights

• 9,458 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 17:07

What emotion? Vettel over the radio? Yeah that was fine. And swearing then would be fairly normal. A little bit of road rage. Except he didn't. :well:

Cussing during the post race interviews for the sake of it..... erm, they're not high school kids anymore, are they?

Sure sure.. not disagreeing with that. I guess there's a difference in how people receive what they say. To be honest I haven't seen the interview, merely read what they said. Myself, I hardly see this as cursing in a bad form, it's not like it's directed to anyone. For me that's a huge difference. Had I watched it, I wouldn't have noticed it even.

#68 Miggeex

Miggeex

• 489 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 17:08

Why such a fuss suddenly? It's not uncommon in F1 to hear those things. It's not a good thing but it's not uncommon.

Edited by Miggeex, 08 November 2012 - 17:13.

#69 fred54

fred54

• 192 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 17:09

Kimi was being Kimi, and Vettel copied him.

Drivers swearing on the radio is understandable. Drivers swearing when angry is also understandable. Swearing for the sake of it, like we heard in the podium interviews- kind of weak. Even footballers can give interviews straight after a match without swearing.

Agreed, if footballers can manage a swear free interview in equally pumped up enviroments immediately a game then I think F1 drivers certainly have no excuses.

Disagree on the bold part, I've heard Vettel swear lots of times in interviews, he's just his own potty mouth. ;)

Why such a fuss suddenly? It's not uncommon in F1 to hear those things. It's not a good thing but it's not uncommon.

The interviews are played out on the FOM world feed and alot of markets don't like swearing in 'daytime' programming hours.

Edited by fred54, 08 November 2012 - 17:10.

#70 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,477 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 17:11

It was inevitable they were going to get a reprimand for that. F1 is broadcast all over the world and there's certain places where swearing is taken a little bit more serious in terms of their censorship and rating systems. I'm pretty sure F1 would also like to be known as family-friendly entertainment and dont want to have drivers swearing all the time and parents not watching the races anymore because of their kids hearing.

I'm sure a lot of you guys have jobs where its not appropriate to be openly swearing, too. Please dont respond to that to tell me how you dont, because I wasn't talking about YOU in particular, whoever you are thinking about hitting that Reply button right now. :p

I have no problem with drivers being asked to be more professional and I probably swear way more than the average person. Its nice to see their human side, but live, international broadcasts are not the time and place to do it.

Edited by Seanspeed, 08 November 2012 - 17:12.

#71 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 17:16

Swearing is a disease that needs to be eradicated, so good on F1 for taking a stance.

Up there with aids and cancer for me

#72 schubacca

schubacca

• 796 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 17:17

The context that the F-bombs were being used were harmless.

Oh well....

#73 Piif

Piif

• 577 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 17:20

As I'm not a native english speaker, I'm curious on why do you guys call it "the f-bomb"? Why bomb? :o

What surprised me was that Vettel reapeated the word in the later interview which was published also here on Autosport:

I thought 'well, now the front is ****ed at least, so we've got to change it,'… (sorry).

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/104047

#74 Ze Bum

Ze Bum

• 226 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 17:21

Has Loeb shaved yet?

http://jalopnik.com/...sideburns-hippy

#75 joshb

joshb

• 3,285 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 17:25

For f**k's sake

The FIA have got more important issues to be worrying about that pumped up drivers swearing in the heat of the moment

#76 discover23

discover23

• 3,944 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 17:28

So firstly they say that drivers are robots, cause they have set speeches mostly etc, and now thye whine about swearing?
Sweet god, kids at age of 12 swear more than them in my country. actually they might know more curses than I lol.

not swearing does not turn you into a robot by default.. this is not a black and white situation.
People can speak their minds and still not have to rely on swearing to get the message across.

#77 pdac

pdac

• 842 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 17:32

I'm shocked! Who taught them such language in the first place?

#78 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,249 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 17:37

An other thing is that it is just plain hypocrite. Like in tennis: players get warnings for swearing etc. when they say it in English. But a lot of (Spanish) guys swear and scream in their native language and nothing is said about it because the referee doesn't understand them...

Go and try to convince an Spaniard there's something wrong in swearing and cursing and that it should never be done on a Sunday afternoon. And, yes, Spanish children know, kids aren't allowed to swear until they are grown up.

Kimi's repertoire in Finnish goes pretty beyond 'paska', the onboards during his WRC years were quite interesting (mic is always open). All rally drivers swear, though, especially when they begin to roll down a hill. Actually, Räikkönen is quite a nice example for kids because the only time he rolled down a hill (Mexico 2010), he told his co-driver to hold tight before starting cursing; all the other drivers just begin cursing and don't care about the co-driver :drunk:

#79 r4mses

r4mses

• 1,100 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 17:37

Just in time before the US GP! Hopefully the grid girls know how to behave... and none of them pulls off a janet-jackson. Btw, will be champagne be handed in brown paper bags next time? :rotfl:

Advertisement

#80 Ze Bum

Ze Bum

• 226 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 17:42

This is not emotion or adrenalin or openness, it is just coarse and crude. Are these guys in high school? They represent their countries, the sponsors, the team, and, especially as world champions (and a current WC!) they represent the efforts and ideals of the FIA.
The language is unnecessary and they debase themselves and the sport with their casual, public cursing.

I can curse, I know what the words mean, how to use them in a sentence and I can spell them correctly. Nevertheless, there is a time and place.
Grow up guys.

Are you sure you are able to avoid all the Finnish and German swear words when you speak in Finnish or German? Do you actually even speak Finnish or German?

Why is such a nice activity even considered a rude word in English, anyway?

#81 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 17:58

Just in time before the US GP! Hopefully the grid girls know how to behave... and none of them pulls off a janet-jackson. Btw, will be champagne be handed in brown paper bags next time? :rotfl:

Ouch.. :rotfl:

Frankly, the way Kimi mumbles most people wouldn't even have known that he said sxxx. Now, all this extra attention! With all the background noise and commotion, even what Vettel said would not register with most people. We have lot of people here itself asking what they said. They should rather go for a minute or so delayed broadcast of interviews.

#82 amppatel

amppatel

• 465 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 18:02

I agree with the FIA, this isn't football - most people who watch this are educated and more importantly the drivers are supposed to be smart. Next thing you know there will be racism. F1 is pretty much an academic sport, keep it that way. KR is NOT cool, he is an idiot. I don't even know why SV was swearing - didn't make sense, its very unlike him.

#83 MonacoMaster

MonacoMaster

• 104 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 18:06

:D :up:

#84 choyothe

choyothe

• 2,312 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 18:06

I don't have a problem with it personally, but I can understand that some people do and I regard F1 as family viewing - I certainly watched with my dad from a young age! Its naive to think children don't hear this language either at home or in the playground from about 4 years old, but I can see why the authorities might have a quiet word as some people would prefer not to hear swearing and good manners are free. From F1's point of view, they are going to Abu Dhabi to break F1 into new territories, some of which are pretty 'conservative' - not everyone has the same set of standards, and even if you find swearing on daytime TV fine, F1 wants to grow new audiences and sponsors, not risk offending people.

I also thought Seb was being a little bit naughty on purpose in that he has done enough TV speaking in English to know what a 'bad' is. The thought did pass my mind that this could be the drivers way of saying they don't really want to do live interviews on the podium. They've all done enough press conferences etc without swearing to know how they are 'expected' to speak.

On the other hand, I have no time for people who actually pick up the phone to complain about something as minor as this. Its not as if the BBC had any control over it, and there are plenty worse things that children are exposed to by mainstream TV, like aggresive advertising, increasingly sexualised images etc.

I actually think this is a good theory, I don't think they just said it bc of adrenaline and I certainly don't think they don't think they didn't understand those words were "not allowed".

#85 Callisto

Callisto

• 2,656 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 18:07

Swearing is a disease that needs to be eradicated, so good on F1 for taking a stance.

Swearing is not a disease and is part of all languages,while its not appropriate on daytime tv tho

Edited by Callisto, 08 November 2012 - 18:36.

#86 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,477 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 18:13

For f**k's sake

The FIA have got more important issues to be worrying about that pumped up drivers swearing in the heat of the moment

I dont really think it took much time or effort to release that statement.

Edited by Seanspeed, 08 November 2012 - 18:14.

#87 MrMontecarlo

MrMontecarlo

• 546 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 18:13

They do podium interviews for this? When a driver goes a bit spontaneous they go all politically correct? Come on...

#88 Smile17

Smile17

• 1,116 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 18:14

Swearing is not a disease and is part of all languages,while its not appropriate on daytime tv it tho

It's not appropriate at any time.

#89 ZZei

ZZei

• 419 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 18:14

I agree with the FIA, this isn't football - most people who watch this are educated and more importantly the drivers are supposed to be smart. Next thing you know there will be racism. F1 is pretty much an academic sport, keep it that way. KR is NOT cool, he is an idiot. I don't even know why SV was swearing - didn't make sense, its very unlike him.

How did you come to that conclusion? Cause he maybe felt little offended by people saying hes an emotionless robot and slipped the S-WORD!! Seriously, if you blame the tv for you children's behaviour, you're just failed as a parent.

#90 MrMontecarlo

MrMontecarlo

• 546 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 18:15

You are the one being uneducated.

#91 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 18:16

hopefully this will become a game between the drivers about who's going to get the biggest swearing fine.. ;)

#92 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,477 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 18:21

You're probably still outraged at the invention of the bikini, aren't you?

Also, swearing does not indicate level of intelligence. You've gotta be seriously pretentious to think that.

#93 amppatel

amppatel

• 465 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 18:21

How did you come to that conclusion? Cause he maybe felt little offended by people saying hes an emotionless robot and slipped the S-WORD!! Seriously, if you blame the tv for you children's behaviour, you're just failed as a parent.

Not just from that, I think that the word 'shit' is fine, but the image he has of being the 'rude boy' of the drivers.

You are the one being uneducated.

I'm more educated than you.

#94 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 18:24

Juan Pablo Montoya on today's podium ceremony. That would be quite something.

#95 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,477 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 18:25

I'm more educated than you.

My dad can beat up your dad.

#96 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 18:27

Juan Pablo Montoya on today's podium ceremony. That would be quite something.

Would have been gold if the incident below happened on a podium ceremony.

Montoya Schumacher Imola 2004

#97 Tuxy

Tuxy

• 953 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 18:27

F*ck this thread. :)

See it's fun.

#98 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 18:33

Some people are just so sensitive. Must be interesting to hang around you two.

Go watch WWF, then complain.

#99 Dipster

Dipster

• 214 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 18:36

"Formula 1 drivers have been told not to swear during media interviews. Governing body the FIA issued the demand after both Sebastian Vettel and Kimi Raikkonen swore, live on air, while on the podium after last Sunday's Abu Dhabi Grand Prix."
http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/20253052

Can't say I was massively paying attention during the interviews. What did Räikkönen and Vettel say?

I am surprised this instruction is necessary. Why? Well if I was signing the mega cheques that pay drivers and, indeed, some other team members I would be stipulating certain standards in their contracts. And one would be about language employed. Whilst it is not uknown for me to use the coarse language I grew up with when I worked in garages as a youngster (happy days indeed!) it is only with people who I know will not be shocked or offended.

Using coarse language on TV with a global audience would not be what I would want somebody representing me in the public eye doing.

Advertisement

#100 swerved

swerved

• 3,620 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 18:37

Seriously people :lol:

"22 calls (21 complaints and one comment) about the swearing and 30 calls (28 complaints and two comments) about the delay in making the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix available on the iPlayer on-demand service for the swearing to be removed."

Could have been worse, at least they weren't ****ing hooning. :D