Photo

Drivers warned about bad language

• Please log in to reply
373 replies to this topic

#351 uffen

uffen

• 897 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:19

Wrong. Insults and name calling have that target: upset or offend other people. Swear words don´t. They are not meant to produce a negative effect on anyone, it´s people getting upset by a stupid word who has to get over it.

A driver calling another imbecile/idiot etc is a far more serious issue, it´s a direct attack, and no one cared when it happened. Some people priporities are a joke. Now being "polite" and "correct" is more important than not attacking others. The way people say things is more important for some that what´s been said. Ridiculous. Kimi and Sebastian didn´t meant to offend any driver/spectator/team/whatever, they just said normal stuff. If you got upset by what happened, there´s something wrong with you.

Actually they are all meant to upset people. I agree that insults have no place here either. I didn't mean to imply that they did.
So, you make the "insult" statement and then insult me by saying that there must be something wrong with me? Charming. I guess some people don't get it.

Advertisement

#352 g1n

g1n

• 874 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:36

If I used it in front of children in my family, they would be scared and offended.

wow how do you know this?
I have never seen children "offended" by bad language from their parents.

#353 P123

P123

• 8,363 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:49

Not sure whats funnier- the 20-odd that actually complained to the BBC, or the equal (if not higher) number of people in here who are swooning in admiration at a driver swearing on the podium and also celebrating their ability to circumvent the forum filters. You rebels! :lol:

#354 03011969

• 497 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 13:29

Can people on here please tell me why they are offended by the word "fuck" ? The word essentially has no meaning in the way most people use it.

I'm not offended by it, but I wouldn't use the word in front of, say, my neices (all under 11yrs) and don't expect it to be broadcast in pre-watershed viewing.

If you don't understand why you are going to struggle to integrate into society.

#355 jerriy

jerriy

• 282 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 13:40

Leave Raikonnen alone!!! He knows what he's doing!

#356 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,663 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 14:14

wow how do you know this?
I have never seen children "offended" by bad language from their parents.

It might be different where you are from but I know this from experience. They know its an aggressive word and are shocked when they hear it.

#357 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,273 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 14:22

Actually they are all meant to upset people. I agree that insults have no place here either. I didn't mean to imply that they did.
So, you make the "insult" statement and then insult me by saying that there must be something wrong with me? Charming. I guess some people don't get it.

You is plural second person form in English too. It´s used to refer to a group of people. :wave:

My statement means that if you (meaning anyone) get offended by a swear word, you (whoever gets offended by a swear word with no real meaning and not directed to anyone) is the one having a problem. So if you (singular) are in that group, yes, then I think you´re the one being wrong here.

And no mate, some people don´t get it art all. So true!! Me -or anyone- saying "****ing hell!!!" is not meant to upset anyone, it is used to express surprise.

#358 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,663 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 14:25

My statement means that if you (meaning anyone) get offended by a swear word, you (whoever gets offended by a swear word with no real meaning and not directed to anyone) is the one having a problem. So if you (singular) are in that group, yes, then I think you´re the one being wrong here.

And no mate, some people don´t get it art all. So true!! Me -or anyone- saying "****ing hell!!!" is not meant to upset anyone, it is used to express surprise.

Hopefully you'll never get a job presenting daytime TV if that is the case as you clearly have no respect for the standards of others.

#359 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,273 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 14:38

Hopefully you'll never get a job presenting daytime TV if that is the case as you clearly have no respect for the standards of others.

This reminds me a lot about Hebdo cartoons polemic. Some people taking as offensive material not meant to offend anyone. People wanting other people to stop doing something that doesn´t hurt anyone because they have different standards and think that, of course, they´re the right ones.

I say, as long as you don´t hurt others with your actions, it´s OK. Driving a car recklessly, or someone calling other imbecile is more of an issue for me than someone using a harmless tabu word not meant to offend anyone. It´s pretty clear that there was no intention to offend anyone, so if someone STILL makes an issue of it, well tough luck. But no, in our society you get a joke fine for putting other´s life in danger driving like a maniac, but you can even lose your job and become a paria for saying a word that has no meaning in front of a camera. :down:

Edited by Skinnyguy, 12 November 2012 - 14:40.

Advertisement

#360 Rentta

Rentta

• 295 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 14:41

I'm of that view as well.

I feel the same about Vettel as well.

There wasn't really any adrenaline there. I preferred Kimi's swearing since it was genuine. Vettel's was just plain awkward since his emotional state etc. didn't fit it from my POV anyway. Swearing for swearing's sake is one thing. Swearing because you're genuinely pissed at the time is entirely different.

We forget Alonso!!! I guess he wasn't too emotional.... boring too?

Kimi seems to have just about had it with this media 'bullshit' and is quite flagrant about it. I personally find it very funny because I have my own views about it and think the term 'media bullshit' is VERY fitting. But alas, the world doesn't revolve around mine own point of view on this and I am fully aware and accustomed to what it is to behave professionally in a professional situation. There's a distinct difference between a one on one/few discourse vs a one on multi-national/millions discourse. There's a difference between an interview during the podium ceremony and an interview just after jumping out of the car by a single media crew holding a mike to your face while you're still trying to work things out in your mind.

Ignorance is a hell of a thing. Ignorance without insight is particularly abhorrent. I hope that I'm seeing mischief here in this discussion, rather than the latter of the two. There's no problem with having a personal opinion on this. We each do. However, the FIA doesn't respond or base its policies on personal opinions. I find it odd that so many do not or choose not to realize and respect this. Be that as it may, this will be my last comment on the matter here since after reading to this point, I wonder why I even got involved in the first place.

This =)

#361 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,663 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 14:58

This reminds me a lot about Hebdo cartoons polemic. Some people taking as offensive material not meant to offend anyone. People wanting other people to stop doing something that doesn´t hurt anyone because they have different standards and think that, of course, they´re the right ones.

I say, as long as you don´t hurt others with your actions, it´s OK. Driving a car recklessly, or someone calling other imbecile is more of an issue for me than someone using a harmless tabu word not meant to offend anyone. It´s pretty clear that there was no intention to offend anyone, so if someone STILL makes an issue of it, well tough luck. But no, in our society you get a joke fine for putting other´s life in danger driving like a maniac, but you can even lose your job and become a paria for saying a word that has no meaning in front of a camera. :down:

I have said hundreds of time that I wasn't offended by the swearing. The drivers slipped up, no big deal. My problem is with those who think nothing should be said at all if someone swears live on daytime television. There is no justification IMO. I don't care what slums people live in, or whether people are generally more bad mannered in other countries, but the fact of the matter is swearing is not appropriate on TV during the day. People expect it at night time and nobody cares. I'm just surprised how many people think F1 should be exclusive and encourage this sort of thing when every other program broadcaster respects a code of conduct for daytime viewing. Most people don't want to hear such language which is why the standard is in place. You can't go on Breakfast television and swear to your hearts content, even if it isn't used in an aggressive tone. Its just not appropriate for most people. That may be different elsewhere but I agree with keeping daytime viewing clean.

This incident really isn't a big deal. The drivers apologised and we should really move on.

#362 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 16:32

I'm not offended by it, but I wouldn't use the word in front of, say, my neices (all under 11yrs) and don't expect it to be broadcast in pre-watershed viewing.

If you don't understand why you are going to struggle to integrate into society.

I see a number of things happening here and in the end it's all OK really. It's normal.

- many are confusing policy based on personal as opposed to a collective position. The FIA took a position on swearing during podium ceremony interviews that are broadcast to a large heterogeneous population of viewers across nations. The FIA position has to be one of compromise. A collective position, especially involving a large group of people, will invariably involve compromise. We can't reasonably expect otherwise.

- superficially, this long and animated thread does seem like a storm in a teacup. However, on looking deeper, we're seeing that this incident has opened a sort of Pandora's box, i.e., one of censorship. Many have simply been using this incident as a means of sharing their personal problems with censorship, the use of so called 'foul language' being one of them.

- many are just plain ignorant, I'm afraid. They all too often do not have much insight into the consequences of their actions, verbally or otherwise, and what it really means to live among a heterogenous group of people. Because of this, there will always be governing bodies, the policing of 'rules/regulations/policies', punishment/penalties and <cough>... censorship.... <cough>.

Everyone has their personal limits and you'll be surprised how the most vocal ones against this incident of censorship with regard to language, will in turn be the most vocal when their own personal limits on other social matters have been crossed. There's just a blatant lack of respect for the limits of others. If it doesn't offend me, it should not offend you.... why should it?.... how the hell could it?... are you an idiot or what?.... you need to grow some thicker skin, get educated, don't be so backward etc. etc. etc., and round and round it goes. Many people just have a serious problem with being asked not to do something because others may not like it, especially when they fail to see or understand how or why others may have a problem with it. In short, if I don't see the problem, then this OBVIOUSLY means there isn't one.

We have just seen in this thread why there needs to be a body of authority for a society of self-centered, opinionated folk to live together in some sort of cohesive fashion. We see where bodies of authority don't work so well since overcompensation often occurs on the part of authority, so they are not above reproach and I appreciate this. However, there's nothing wrong if there's a willingness to see things differently or appreciate that others actually do, and as a result, be willing to make a compromise based on this.

Vettel apologised. Good for him and a great demonstration of compromise. Why insist in a situation as this? I'm sure he'll continue to comfortably swear elsewhere.

If words have no meaning then why utter them at all? It's so silly to claim there is no meaning behind swear words and to those who make such a claim and still use them, I can only say that a responsible person aught to try to inform him/herself about the huge fuss around their use and why such words exist. In any case, if there are potentially different meanings for words (offensive meanings being among them) based on the listeners involved, and you don't have the opportunity to clarify, then it makes good sense to avoid such words if possible. It's so often quite easy to do so with swearing and this is why this is the solution applied by society in their use. The curious thing is that when it becomes difficult not to swear, others will see this is the case, and the intended meaning does become less ambiguous. :cool:

No one really cared about Kimi or Vettel's swearing until they suddenly thought it OK for the entire F1 viewership to hear it during the official podium ceremony interviews.

Edited by ali_M, 12 November 2012 - 16:38.

#363 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,988 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 23:03

10 pages for 2 words ... it's going to be a loooooong break between seasons

#364 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,586 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:02

Hasn't NASCAR dealt with this before by handing out... err.. points deductions? As long as F1 doesn't go the same path it's alright. Maybe an official warning then if they keep on swearing, a fine to the drivers.

I definitely am not offended by swearing but I can see why it can be awkward. Yet in a way it's almost unavoidable when interviewing people packed with adrenaline. It's nice they're getting interviewed on the podium now, drivers are more likely to be themselves not the PR robots formatted by the teams there.

#365 panzani

panzani

• 18,671 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 15:15

10 pages for 2 words ... it's going to be a loooooong break between seasons

That's it. A little bit more than 2 words, but really telling regarding what actual top drivers think of idiots, imHo. And no, this is not Kimi or Vettel! This is where some posted it wouldn't ever happen! :rotfl:

#366 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,988 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:29

To quote myself:

Stick a microphone in front of a bloke bursting with adrenaline and that's going to happen

And then some other 35yo Australian bloke:

"You are full of adrenaline. You are excited. You have just had an incredible grand prix in general in those cases, so I think sometimes you might not use the right language, but now we have to be mindful of that.

But what would he know?
Where's that "I told you so" emoticon????

#367 Talisker

Talisker

• 281 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:52

To quote myself:

And then some other 35yo Australian bloke:

But what would he know?
Where's that "I told you so" emoticon????

Ah, bless Autosport. So endearingly tabloidy. "Mark Webber SLAMS new podium procedure" apparently. What did MW say? "I'm 50/50 on that".

#368 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:08

Posted Image

#369 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,255 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:10

Ah, bless Autosport. So endearingly tabloidy. "Mark Webber SLAMS new podium procedure" apparently. What did MW say? "I'm 50/50 on that".

Nice selective quoting: he's 50/50 on the interviews, but overall he doesn't like the whole package. FWIW I agree with you regarding the abuse of the word "slam" - that's something you do to a door - but as you say it's very tabloidesque. More impactful in a headline than "moans about" or "criticizes" though.

#370 Racer3

Racer3

• 383 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:24

Posted Image

Is it because of Kimi's first victory after his comeback or while kidding around with Sebastian,
but already in Abu Dhabi I thought that I haven't seen Kimi smile and laugh so much ever before...
The two seem to get along really well.

#371 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,663 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:37

They have been mates for a few years.

#372 Racer3

Racer3

• 383 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:55

They have been mates for a few years.

If Lotus can keep up or even better their present form, these two will be strong contenders next season.
With the ensuing fights on track and, above all, the usual malicious media insinuations, I hope they will keep on kidding around together... :)
I guess the media will know how to stir up as usual...

Edited by Racer3, 16 November 2012 - 09:57.

#373 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,224 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:17

just found this ... had to post it ...

Sebastian vettel going mad after finishing fourth in the Torro rosso 2007 -Chinese GP :p

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

thank deus for whoever came up with Bleeping noises

#374 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 934 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:43

next season they will get penalty points also for behavior not related to racing (for swearing?, being late to the pc, being the last to be pc?) (under the the penalty points system 2013)

f*cking ridiculous hypocrits. And how is swearing bad for kids? foreign swear words always were the first words I learned together with other nations kids when I met them as child. If you are able to watch F1 (with 8years maybe) than you already know more swear words than your parents want to know. Going to school or pre-school endorses swearing (where did you learn those bad and dirty words? If not from mom or dad then on the schoolyard!) far bigger than an F1 pilot swearing.