Official NASCAR Phoenix weekend

• Please log in to reply
262 replies to this topic

#251 MightyMoose

MightyMoose
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,079 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 14:37

Anyone else looking forward to hearing Michael Waltrip's "OUTRAGE" on Inside Nascar at his "innocent driver being taken out by a driver he used to have a lot of respect for"?

I would like them to hear what he has to say, and then ask him what this incident was all about then :

Given Michael spent most of his later career wrecking guys he should be able to easily spot the difference between "deliberate" & "incompetent".

I tend to agree that the issue is that everyone saw it coming, but nobody did anything to stop it... sooner or later someone will be hurt and then you'll have a shitstorm which won't help the sport at all. The penalty for JG is frankly a non-event, which makes me think that Nascar did have more of an issue with Bowyer's driving in the season than we know about. The issue for me is that once Nascar said "Boys have at it" it's clear they have no real issue with drivers wiping out others, they've created the rod for their own backs. If a guy is 32nd, is he going to give a crap about being parked?

I'm going to bet that nothing happens at Homestead between them, if anything it'll be returned at one of the short tracks next season.

As for the non-yellow.... well that was a disgrace, given that a yellow is thrown for a speck of dust fairly regularly, to not go yellow... sure it would have ended the race, but it also would probably have saved 5 cars being destroyed and potential injuries.

Thumbs down for Nascar over how they handled the last 5 laps. :down:

Advertisement

#252 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,018 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 17:22

All of you talking about the non-yellow for Danica's accident, this is NASCAR's M.O., they don't call cautions on the last lap unless a bomb has cratered the racetrack. It's just how they roll.

For your viewing pleasure, the finish of the 2007 Daytona 500--no caution:

#253 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,695 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 17:47

Well, I think it was important. Not because it was Danica, but what happened because of it

More about NASCAR not throwing a caution than anything.

Do you now..?
If he is.. it's Fcuking Bullßhit.
Jp

*shrugs*

NASCAR has fined drivers for language in a public setting plenty of times before, they even fined and docked points from Jr. in victory lane for it once, so it wouldn't have been an unprecedented move by any means.

So even you agree with what his message was. . .no, it's not totally bullshit.

Edited by Dilla, 13 November 2012 - 17:57.

#254 John B

John B

• 6,261 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 19:20

Question : Say Biffle wins at homestead and ends up scoring more points than Brad or Jimmy during the entire season (an admitted long shot) how many times would this mean the chase created a different champ than what a season long points race did?

paul

On the surface Johnson loses no less than 3 titles - by a big margin to Gordon in 2007, and also to Edwards in 2009.

Gordon loses 2 (and shot at 6 overall) including the first in 2004.

I say on the surface because teams race the system of the particular year - for example impossible to say if Johnson could have done more in those late races if he had to not being conservative at Homestead. And no way to tell if they could have done better in the regular season if needed, I've heard of teams trying various things once a berth in the Chase is pretty much clinched.

Via Jayski:

Year Classic Points Champ
2004 Jeff Gordon (5) Kurt Busch
2005 Tony Stewart (2) Tony Stewart
2006 Jimmie Johnson Jimmie Johnson (2)
2007 Jeff Gordon (6) Jimmie Johnson (3)
2008 Carl Edwards Jimmie Johnson (4)
2009 Jimmie Johnson (2) Jimmie Johnson (5)
2010 Kevin Harvick Jimmie Johnson(6)

#255 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,695 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 19:30

Are u going by the 'one point per position' system or the classic 'napkin in a bar' system?

2011 Carl Edwards Jimmie Johnson (2nd with classic system by a humongous margin, 4th with one point system)

Edited by Dilla, 13 November 2012 - 19:31.

#256 Yhamm

Yhamm

• 638 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 19:37

All of you talking about the non-yellow for Danica's accident, this is NASCAR's M.O., they don't call cautions on the last lap unless a bomb has cratered the racetrack. It's just how they roll.

Erm, in this video, it IS the last lap. Man, it's even the last corner, obviously there is no caution, not like it will change anything anyway. And they have time to slow down when they come back to the crash.

Sunday, it wasn't even the last lap. They had the time to get the caution before the white flag and do an other GWC, just like they did when Gordon wrecked Bowyer. And it's a 1 mile track, that means there is really no much time to get off the track.
What's the point to say "we can do up to 3 GWC" if they don't get a caution for a crash like that?

It's not the first time (and not the last) that Nascar just do as they please and I wish they would be more criticised

#257 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,018 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 20:45

So they are already using the events of Sunday at this race for marketing purposes--here's something from an email I got from LVMS:

Posted Image

#258 wacktifosi

wacktifosi

• 113 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 22:00

I'm sure most know this already but Kez getting fined is definitely not for texting. I bet if Sprint made a phone that could ONLY text they would let him have it but NASCAR is so set against data acquisition that they're coming down 'hard' to try and stop it.

edit: That ad is pretty good, someone at that office is on the ball. I like how they didn't edit out Logano and Almirola - it really does have a WWE feel to it.

Edited by wacktifosi, 13 November 2012 - 22:02.

#259 nosaj100

nosaj100

• 890 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 00:43

I tend to agree that the issue is that everyone saw it coming, but nobody did anything to stop it... sooner or later someone will be hurt and then you'll have a shitstorm which won't help the sport at all. The penalty for JG is frankly a non-event, which makes me think that Nascar did have more of an issue with Bowyer's driving in the season than we know about. The issue for me is that once Nascar said "Boys have at it" it's clear they have no real issue with drivers wiping out others, they've created the rod for their own backs. If a guy is 32nd, is he going to give a crap about being parked?

I tend to agree. That's one of two reasonings I can come up with. The other is "If you're last name is Busch and you so much sniff breaking a rule, you're suspended. If you name isn't Busch, carry on".

Advertisement

#260 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,629 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:03

Kyle has a body of work, Jeff doesn't.

Why is everyone acting like this is the first time we've seen retaliation? Although usually it doesn't pull in multiple cars.

#261 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 4,006 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:17

There is a huge difference between the last lap, and the next to last lap. If the crash happens on the last lap, most of the cars behind would have already driven by before caution goes into effect, and they won't be coming around at speed next time, so no caution is understandable. However, Patrick crashed on penultimate lap, so the whole field would have had to dodge her while racing for position next time by.

#262 piszkosfred

piszkosfred

• 148 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:50

Anyone else looking forward to hearing Michael Waltrip's "OUTRAGE" on Inside Nascar at his "innocent driver being taken out by a driver he used to have a lot of respect for"?

I would like them to hear what he has to say, and then ask him what this incident was all about then :

Given Michael spent most of his later career wrecking guys he should be able to easily spot the difference between "deliberate" & "incompetent".

A little bit rich from "Loltrip" Posted Image calling Gordon a coward since he regularly drives intoxicated (http://carolina.hsin...mooresville.cfm) or/and fails to report an accident after a crash (http://www.wsoctv.co...ba-count/nHFsR/).

#263 Rubens Hakkamacher

Rubens Hakkamacher

• 1,567 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 15:29

You know, my biggest complaint about "why I don't watch tv anymore" has to do with the seemingly incessant requirement to put drama into everything.

The frakking "Dog Whisperer" - used to be about training dogs, now it's dogs in families creating drama. Frakking Walking Dead - started out to be about zombies, now it's a soap opera with zombies, stopped watching it. Remember that biker-build off show on Speed? Started out to be pretty cool, then it turned into "let's wind up the poor guy building bike and make drama", and then predictably even for the guy overseeing building the bike. WTF?

In general, in my life, I've had enough drama. I like cars and technology.

It's really simple, NASCAR should just say "you're out of NASCAR if you wreck somebody". No more silliness. Again, if someone dies, are we going to see NASCAR CEO's put up on charges for manslaughter?

Otherwise, I want to see cars with deployable oil slicks, tire cutting razor wheels, and they should be allowed to run their laps in the opposite direction if they so choose. THAT would be fun drama. I'm not in jr. high school anymore.