Photo
* * - - - 4 votes

Heikki Kovalainen - This is the end of career?

• Please log in to reply
305 replies to this topic

#51 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,665 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:02

His problem is obviously that he comes from a low-population country/small market, so he cannot be a pay-driver.

There are some reports that Bottas has managed to get sponsorship backing which equals to about 3/4 of Bruno Senna's backing, what gives around $10 million. So you can be a pay-driver from Finland. ;)

Advertisement

#52 jals99

jals99

• 778 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:06

at my calculations Heikki is leading race battles as well 8-7 not Vitaly... qualies are 13-5 for Heikki and like have been said on this forum already if Caterham would be midfield team, Heikki's magnificent qualifying performances would matter much more and he would be clearly ahead of the Vitaly in races as he would start several places ahead of him.

You are wrong/ Check race results :)
Vitaly was ahead 8 times(Malaysia, China, Bahrain, Valencia, Germany, Belgium, Korea, India)
Heikki - 7 (Spain,Canada, Hungary, Italy, Singapore, Japan, Abu Dhabi )
If they were racing in midfield teams, it would be another story. Vitaly told he is not putting much attention to race setup in current situation, as it is race that counts, and qualy usually means just one starting position in Caterham. He proved that he can be good in quals in midfield team by destroying Heidfeld 8-3 in 2011.

#53 iiMac

iiMac

• 19 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:27

Is this gonna be another Heikki VS Petrov thread?

Another? Where is first, i don't seen...

#54 hippie

hippie

• 286 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:44

You are wrong/ Check race results :)
Vitaly was ahead 8 times(Malaysia, China, Bahrain, Valencia, Germany, Belgium, Korea, India)
Heikki - 7 (Spain,Canada, Hungary, Italy, Singapore, Japan, Abu Dhabi )
If they were racing in midfield teams, it would be another story. Vitaly told he is not putting much attention to race setup in current situation, as it is race that counts, and qualy usually means just one starting position in Caterham. He proved that he can be good in quals in midfield team by destroying Heidfeld 8-3 in 2011.

To put that into perspective:
in China Heikki had to make an extra pit stop to fix an issue with his tyre;
in Bahrain Heikki had a puncture;
in Valencia Heikki had a KERS issue and Vergne hit him, causing a nosecone change;
in Germany Heikki had an issue with front wing that caused an extra pit stop for a nosecone change;
in Belgium Heikki's car was released from the pit stop too early, which caused a contact with another car and a consequent nosecone change;
in India Heikki had another KERS issue.

#55 Wander

Wander

• 2,264 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 13:05

in Valencia Heikki had a KERS issue and Vergne hit him, causing a nosecone change;
in Germany Heikki had an issue with front wing that caused an extra pit stop for a nosecone change;
in Belgium Heikki's car was released from the pit stop too early, which caused a contact with another car and a consequent nosecone change;

:up:

#56 autosportfan

autosportfan

• 274 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 13:15

thats f1 for you. i think the media may of gotten bored of caterham now too

I am also bored with Caterham ... All talk - no results...

Heikki on the other hand has done brilliantly but good second driver seats are now gone and mid fielders do not believe in his leadership.

One more year with Caterham is possible but if nothing happens the it is certainly better to go and do something else...

#57 jals99

jals99

• 778 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 13:35

In Belgium Kovalainen spun in 7 lap, so it was his own fault and he would be behind 100% even without pit stop troubles.
In Germany Vitaly was ahead in first stint, but Heikki was called to pit first and jumped ahead, without giving Vitaly a position later ( in similar situation in Korea Vitaly let Heikki past because it is team politics )
In China Vitaly was faster and was catching Heikki even before his pit stop troubles.

And looking at the other side of garage -in Monza Vitaly was faster,and was set to overtake Kova in last lap, but his new engineer make mistake by telling him there will still be one lap to go, while it was last lap, the gap between them was just 0,1 sec. In Spain Vitaly was on another strategy with one more stint on prome tyre, so conditions were not equal
In Australia when they both retired Vitaly also was ahead.
And in Great Britain Vitaly could not even start after winning qual.

#58 bub

bub

• 2,036 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 13:38

This is sad if true as I think he's better than a number of the drivers on the grid. There seems to be a rise in the number of teams needing drivers to bring money, which is also a shame.

#59 MrFondue

MrFondue

• 322 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 13:42

handsome

Yeah... no.

Advertisement

#60 Wander

Wander

• 2,264 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 13:47

In Belgium Kovalainen spun in 7 lap, so it was his own fault and he would be behind 100% even without pit stop troubles.
In Germany Vitaly was ahead in first stint, but Heikki was called to pit first and jumped ahead, without giving Vitaly a position later ( in similar situation in Korea Vitaly let Heikki past because it is team politics )
In China Vitaly was faster and was catching Heikki even before his pit stop troubles.

And looking at the other side of garage -in Monza Vitaly was faster,and was set to overtake Kova in last lap, but his new engineer make mistake by telling him there will still be one lap to go, while it was last lap, the gap between them was just 0,1 sec. In Spain Vitaly was on another strategy with one more stint on prome tyre, so conditions were not equal
In Australia when they both retired Vitaly also was ahead.
And in Great Britain Vitaly could not even start after winning qual.

Yes, so all in all no difference whatsoever in their race performances.

#61 tarmac

tarmac

• 1,155 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 14:57

Kovalainen said a year ago he had a drive lined up at Toyota in 2010.. then they went under

#62 hippie

hippie

• 286 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 15:05

Yes, so all in all no difference whatsoever in their race performances.

That's pretty much my conlusion, too.

Qualis are currently 13-5 in Heikki's favour. In race starts Kova has gained 34 places off the start line this season, and Vitaly 8 places.

Heikki's best quali results in 2012 are 2x16th and 3x18th, while Vitaly's best results are 8x19th. Heikki's best race results are 2x13th, 2x14th and 2x15th, and Vitaly's 1x13th, 1x14th, and 1x15th.

It's difficult to judge which driver has been better in races, because the numerous technical issues and some non-driver-dependent race incidents have affected the race results. Heikki has had better pace in some races and Vitaly in others, but in most races they've been quite evenly paced.

Neither driver has done anything spectacular in races, although Kova put up a good fight in Monaco fending off Button's attacks, and might have finished 12th there, but then it started to drizzle and Heikki's break temperatures dropped, allowing Perez to attack and overtake him (and to break Heikki's front wing in the process).

#63 aray

aray

• 2,562 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 15:05

He's probably better than most of the candidates that seem to be getting his job. I doubt the ones ending into Sauber or Force India are better than him either.

There's a few problems with Heikkis's career, thou. First of all he doesn't have money or sponsors so the pay driver scene is out of question. And the top teams rather have someone with potential - read "hope, however weak hope" - to be a very top driver instead of a very good driver that is exposed to be just below the absolute best ones.

By beating Fisi who was unbeatable before that Heikki showed a strong promise of being a future star. His time with McLaren destroyed the hope althou his effeorts weren't hopeless there. Qualifying tactics back then combined with the fact he was competing with a great driver with a team in his hands finished his career. Caterham career was beating a dead horse basically.

What comes to some saying Petrov is beating him ... Ridiculous. Look at quali stats. Their race speed is so poor you can't make any conclusions based on that.

:rolleyes:
so for back-marker cars only qualifying matters...what a shitty logic....

even if you drive a slow car,there is always a chance of measuring how fast you can drive it compare to your team-mate throughout the race...and his race pace has been similar to petrov for most of the season so far....
even in his Macca days he showed good quali-pace and then mediocre race pace most of the time....

#64 Rurouni

Rurouni

• 389 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 15:23

I think it isn't about poor race speed, but the fact that these bottom teams only have very little clean weekend (and race day) that comparing race speed is a lot more difficult.
Qualifying is probably the most time where they are trouble free, meaning both drivers aren't hindered with technical problems.

#65 discover23

discover23

• 3,712 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 15:25

His stock is dropping rapidly this year for not being able to beat a pay driver.

#66 TT6

TT6

• 3,558 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 16:26

I think it isn't about poor race speed, but the fact that these bottom teams only have very little clean weekend (and race day) that comparing race speed is a lot more difficult.
Qualifying is probably the most time where they are trouble free, meaning both drivers aren't hindered with technical problems.

Actually this is what I essentially ment, not just poor speed, poor team, trouble filled races for both. Btw, according to Autosport results Kovalainen is 20th and Petrov 21st in championship standings. (How's that calculated?)

#67 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,274 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 16:35

Actually this is what I essentially ment, not just poor speed, poor team, trouble filled races for both. Btw, according to Autosport results Kovalainen is 20th and Petrov 21st in championship standings. (How's that calculated?)

I'm guessing the first 18 drivers have points and TG's 12th outranks HK's best result...

Edited by jjcale, 11 November 2012 - 16:35.

#68 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 16:42

I said this earlier but i want to reiterate it, blue flags can also affect them and distort their race pace/position so its far harder to judge them by just saying "oh but driver X finished ahead of driver Y some many times." Heikki has consistently had the upper hand in qualy (by .250s on average) and if they were in the midfield that could account for 3/4/5 places, not the one it does right now and can then have a big impact on where they are able to finish in the race.

Also Petrov has done a good job this season, much better than i thought he would so fair play to him, in an ideal world i'd like Caterham to stick with them both but i don't think thats going to happen, sadly.

#69 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,666 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 16:42

its rare for those new teams to get attention on race day, but they get a decent amount in qualy. heck the media happily followed caterhams quest to get into q2 for ages, so wouldnt surprise me if heikki was on more of a qualy setup, either by choice or by teams choice

#70 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,303 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 16:54

Btw, according to Autosport results Kovalainen is 20th and Petrov 21st in championship standings. (How's that calculated?)

After the points scored they look at finishing positions. Heikki had 2 13th places and Vitaly just 1.

This year's score for both:
Heikki 2x13th, 2x14th, 2x15th, 1x16th, 5x17th, 3x18th, 1x19th, 1x23rd
Vitaly 1x13th, 1x14th, 1x15th, 5x16th, 3x17th, 1x18th, 3x19th.

#71 Puhoon

Puhoon

• 236 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 19:31

This :up:
I don't get why we should be sad for this guy, he had a WDC winning car in 2008, something most drivers in this sport can only dream of.

Well, people on this board were/are also crying after the likes of Alguersuari.

#72 LiJu914

LiJu914

• 1,776 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 19:35

Kovalainen beat Trulli and Fisichella, both of whom did perfectly well against Alonso, who is one of the top drivers in F1. All 4 have won races in F1, which is something the majority of drivers in F1 have never and will never do. His problem is obviously that he comes from a low-population country/small market, so he cannot be a pay-driver.

In which parallel universe did Fisico well against Alonso?

And the "triangle-comparisons" will always fail eventually. e.g. If i look at KOV vs. HAM vs. ALO there would be a completely different result.

#73 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 20:22

Well, people on this board were/are also crying after the likes of Alguersuari.

Obviously you don't know the meaning of, fan. You know, that thing you use when you are hot ?

#74 g1n

g1n

• 874 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 20:49

Obviously you don't know the meaning of, fan. You know, that thing you use when you are hot ?

This is why it is best to be fan of the sport rather of one driver team, as it makes the person very narrow minded and arrogant towards other competitors. Also due to bias you tend to not see your driver/team for what they really are. Anyway....

#75 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 2,597 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 20:57

After 28 years of studying F1 like as if I'm doing it at university it is very easy to say who gives a toss about F1 if Kobayashi & Kovalainen can't get a drive but rent-a-drive Petrov can. Bye bye sport, those obsessive with the coin wins.

Edited by Juan Kerr, 11 November 2012 - 20:58.

#76 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 3,187 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:28

Kovalainen said a year ago he had a drive lined up at Toyota in 2010.. then they went under

That surprises me as I thought Trulli - Kobayashi or Glock - Kobayashi would be a more logical line-up for Toyota in 2010, especially after Kobayashi filling in so well for Glock in 2009, I would have expected him to take 1 seat and the other seat to go to one of the drivers that were already there. I doubt they would have replaced both drivers at the same time.

#77 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 3,187 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:30

It would be very sad though, if a driver as mediocre as van der Garde (who admittedly, on his day, did show speed in GP2, but his F1 test pace has been very mediocre) would replace Kovalainen.

#78 jals99

jals99

• 778 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:05

After 28 years of studying F1 like as if I'm doing it at university it is very easy to say who gives a toss about F1 if Kobayashi & Kovalainen can't get a drive but rent-a-drive Petrov can. Bye bye sport, those obsessive with the coin wins.

Rent-a-drive Petrov is matching Kovalainen despite being in the team for the 1st year? He deserved seat in F1 on merit not less then Kovalainen. Why again so much hate for Petrov? Does he need to destroy Kovalainen 20-0 on quals and 20-0 on races to show he is not worse than Kovalainen? ):

#79 Wander

Wander

• 2,264 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:43

Rent-a-drive Petrov is matching Kovalainen despite being in the team for the 1st year? He deserved seat in F1 on merit not less then Kovalainen. Why again so much hate for Petrov? Does he need to destroy Kovalainen 20-0 on quals and 20-0 on races to show he is not worse than Kovalainen? ):

He would actually have to finish ahead him in the championship, I reckon.

Advertisement

#80 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,806 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:03

That surprises me as I thought Trulli - Kobayashi or Glock - Kobayashi would be a more logical line-up for Toyota in 2010, especially after Kobayashi filling in so well for Glock in 2009, I would have expected him to take 1 seat and the other seat to go to one of the drivers that were already there. I doubt they would have replaced both drivers at the same time.

Kobayashi- Kovalainen would have been Toyota line up for 2010 most likely, as Heikki said he had a contract with them. But we know Toyota were also after Kimi but Kimi wasnt interested so it was byebye to Toyota.

#81 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,806 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:06

Petrov is a good driver and does deserve to be in F1 but so does many others...and Heikki is better driver than Petrov, they are on similar level on races but Heikki is clearly ahead of qualifying and because of these facts he is a better driver and it would be seen clearly if both would be driving Sauber or Williams for example...Heikki would qualify several places ahead of Petrov and as their racepace is quite same, Petrov wouldn't get near of Heikki.

#82 Oho

Oho

• 7,532 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:06

Quite frankly after quick skimming of this thread and couple other threads I have failed to see as much hate for Petrov as you for some reason show for Kovalainen.

#83 motorhead

motorhead

• 887 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:03

There are some reports that Bottas has managed to get sponsorship backing which equals to about 3/4 of Bruno Senna's backing, what gives around $10 million. So you can be a pay-driver from Finland.;)

source?

#84 motorhead

motorhead

• 887 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:04

So? Häkkinen started as a pay driver, then again he was a mere journeyman, but so did Micheal Schumacher as well for that matter.

For the interest who is backing up Bottas! What MH or MSC got to do with this?

#85 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,008 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:11

Vitaly is a good driver, especially if you think about his late start of racing career and zero carting expirience.

But I tend to think that the only reason why difference between Kova and Petrov is so small is the car - its limit is just so... poor that drivers talent barely plays role.

Edited by sofarapartguy, 12 November 2012 - 08:12.

#86 TT6

TT6

• 3,558 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:20

What MH or MSC got to do with this?

I suppose the connection is something like this:
- there has been doubts about Finns being not able to get funds to be pay drivers and there's been overall disgust over pay driver phenomenom itself in this HK thread.
- MH is a Finn who started as a paydriver, was considered as a journeyman and stil was pretty succesful eventually); MS started as a pay driver and was pretty succesful quite early on.
- therefore MH and MSC serve as examples that weaken the argument of difficulties in getting funds as a Finn and sucking just because of history as a paydriver or journeyman.

#87 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:12

But I tend to think that the only reason why difference between Kova and Petrov is so small is the car - its limit is just so... poor that drivers talent barely plays role.

:lol:

Why are so many other (vs.) threads/posts, such as, Kubica vs Heidfeld, Webber vs Vettel, etc ....

Makes me wonder.

#88 nomi

nomi

• 288 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:18

So the big question is Heikki going to take Caterham to the next level?
Is he good enough to warrant attention from big teams?

#89 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,806 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:23

he needs a car to do it, if Caterham will give him a decent car he can take them to the midfield. he is good enough to get big teams attentions but getting drive one of those is a different thing.

#90 motorhead

motorhead

• 887 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:04

I suppose the connection is something like this:
- there has been doubts about Finns being not able to get funds to be pay drivers and there's been overall disgust over pay driver phenomenom itself in this HK thread.
- MH is a Finn who started as a paydriver, was considered as a journeyman and stil was pretty succesful eventually); MS started as a pay driver and was pretty succesful quite early on.
- therefore MH and MSC serve as examples that weaken the argument of difficulties in getting funds as a Finn and sucking just because of history as a paydriver or journeyman.

I didn´t know that about MSC, Keke Rosberg actually did bought MH a seat at Lotus for 1991 season, but today we are talking about tens of millions. That is a huge difference compared to those days when the seat costed maybe a 100 k. I do believe that a drivers coming from a small democratic countries will have less chances in the future. Funny that those millions are coming from a relatively poor countries...Maybe we see a North-Korean driver in the grid in the future, who cares about the human rights if there is dollars available, right :cool:

I´m not saying that the paydriver can´t be great champs, but this trend is definately wrong...

Edited by motorhead, 12 November 2012 - 10:07.

#91 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:16

The driver quality is of secondary importance for Caterham. The 10th place is like winning a lottery, by being the best backmarker in the race which sees the most cars from the established team retire. All they need are drivers who can stay ahead of the other 2 small teams. If those bring money, so that missing 10th place is already compensated for at the start of the season, it is a huge advantage.

#92 soarer

soarer

• 38 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:27

I agree. It's really sad

#93 soarer

soarer

• 38 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:27

Trulli-Kobayashi. Japanese leadership had requested Trulli wait until November and did not enter into other contracts. Glock fell out with the leadership, he was not at the festival Toyota in Fuji, even

#94 soarer

soarer

• 38 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:30

Kobayashi- Kovalainen would have been Toyota line up for 2010 most likely, as Heikki said he had a contract with them. But we know Toyota were also after Kimi but Kimi wasnt interested so it was byebye to Toyota.

John Howett lied, they did not offer for Kimi, the Toyota has not the budget, they know what to leave F1, with high probability.
Change Trulli-Kovalainen was pointless

Edited by soarer, 12 November 2012 - 10:33.

#95 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:31

:up: Of course, he can. But, so does Petrov.

These are the two best drivers that Caterham can have at the current level, but couldn't afford. Any better, would only be a dream for the team.

Edited by CatInTheBag, 12 November 2012 - 10:44.

#96 frp

frp

• 350 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:45

- MH is a Finn who started as a paydriver, was considered as a journeyman and stil was pretty succesful eventually

I don't believe anyone considered Mika a journeyman.

#97 Steve99

Steve99

• 69 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:50

I don't believe anyone considered Mika a journeyman.

Indeed, I find this curious too. From what I can recall he was very highly rated.

It will be a pity if Kovalainen is overlooked.

#98 Wander

Wander

• 2,264 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:02

Niki Lauda was a paydriver, too.

And when exactly was Häkkinen considered a journeyman? He beat Senna in his first qualifying for Mclaren. His Mclaren team mates were maybe mostly journeymen, but he beat them comfortably (Coulthard gave him trouble on a couple of years, I guess, but generally). He did the job when Mclaren finally produced a championship capable car again.

Edited by Wander, 12 November 2012 - 11:07.

#99 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,665 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:20

source?

Here

Advertisement

#100 Starish

Starish

• 985 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:35

He would actually have to finish ahead him in the championship, I reckon.

Trulli beat Heikki last year :stoned: