Photo
* * - - - 4 votes

Heikki Kovalainen - This is the end of career?

• Please log in to reply
305 replies to this topic

#101 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:37

These teams will never rise. Are they even building 2014 cars right now? Doubtful

:mad:

Advertisement

#102 hippie

hippie

• 286 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:47

Trulli beat Heikki last year :stoned:

Trulli's best race finishes in 2011 were 2x13th, 2x14th and 1x16th, while Kovalainen's were 1x13th, 3x14th and 2x15th.

Trulli took the first of those two 13th place finishes by actually finishing 15th in Australia, but he got promoted to 13th after the race when both Saubers were disqualified. In that race Kovalainen was ahead of Trulli before he had to retire because of a technical problem. So perhaps the team thought Trulli's position above Kovalainen in the 2011 WDC was due to good luck rather than superior driving performance?

I don't think it's a very plausible hypothesis that the teams would look at only one factor (like the WDC standings) in evaluating their drivers' performance. I rather think they may consider quite a number of factors.

#103 GotYoubyTheBalls

GotYoubyTheBalls

• 301 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 13:04

I agree Kovalainen had his chance in a Mclaren and failed. He was in a WDC winning car in one of the weakest WDC fights in history, ie. Hamilton Vs Massa, hardly top of the line title fight. Kovalianen couldnt stake his claim. He is a nice guy and all but far better have never had the oppurtunity he had.

#104 Mendel

Mendel

• 148 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 20:31

Heikki has said to MTV3 recently that he is not interested about 3rd driver spot at any teams.
And also in an interview published today he said he is not interested in anything else than Formula 1. Other track racing series are of no interest to him and endurance racing has never been close to his heart.
I reckon he will have a lot more time to play golf then. :(

Edited by Mendel, 16 November 2012 - 20:31.

#105 BoschKurve

BoschKurve

• 1,153 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:58

Could be worse Mendel.

#106 oetzi

oetzi

• 2,924 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:03

Its rumour, not news. Until its on Autosport

Has anyone informed the Vatican that they lost the contract for infallibility?

#107 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,610 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:48

Heikki has said to MTV3 recently that he is not interested about 3rd driver spot at any teams.
And also in an interview published today he said he is not interested in anything else than Formula 1. Other track racing series are of no interest to him and endurance racing has never been close to his heart.
I reckon he will have a lot more time to play golf then. :(

they all say that then go sportscar racing and enjoy it more.

#108 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,612 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:36

If he is back next year, please someone have a word with him about that dreadful helmet.

#109 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:48

If he is back next year, please someone have a word with him about that dreadful helmet.

:lol: I love it! Been the background on my phone since March!

#110 Rentta

Rentta

• 285 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 19:17

More news about heikki

http://translate.goo...neet-kovalaisen

#111 keeppari

keeppari

• 58 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 19:35

It's not really a tragedy if Heikki gets the boot. He had his shot and pretty much wasted it. He may have improved during his time with Caterham but he's still not setting the world on fire.

The sad part is seeing him getting replaced by what will be effectively just a pile of money.

#112 alexSun

alexSun

• 37 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:04

Vitaly and Heikki - both very strong, stable and high-quality drivers!
They are worthy of fast cars, with their skills - good teams will undoubtedly be in the top positions!
Another big plus V.Petrov in that in a short time he could to adapt to the machine in which Heikki spent quite a long time. (It's shows Vitaly's hard work and technical - talent). Remember how Vitaly being still a novice in F1 in 2010, was able to keep throughout the race F. Alonso and not let him fight for the title! Vitaly also on the podium in Australia 2011! Strongest drivers - Nick Heidfeld also lost Vitaly. Now, over time, the ability for the last time Vitaly very grown up. Vitaly was equal basis with Heikki and other world top pilots.
Heikki also very cool racer. Complement to his address can say hundreds!
The team Caterham was very lucky with the composition of the pilots, but definitely a Caterham at least need to build a new chassis.

Edited by alexSun, 20 November 2012 - 08:16.

#113 paulrobs

paulrobs

• 507 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:47

One of the slightly frustrating things in F1 is that there is a such a disparity in performance between the front and back of the grid that it makes comparisons between drivers in different teams almost impossible. I quite like the comparisons that Autosport does by Gary Anderson expressing a driver's performance over the season against their theoretical maximum. Last time I looked this showed Heikki ahead of Petrov incidentally.

I wouldn't mind seeing three car teams so that there would be more top seats available for drivers. I agree that Heikki underperformed at McLaren but I'm wondering how much this was down to him and how much this was down to McLaren. It'll be interesting to see how Perez goes.

On balance, I'd like to see Heikki get a drive for a mid-field team.

#114 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,546 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:48

It's not really a tragedy if Heikki gets the boot. He had his shot and pretty much wasted it. He may have improved during his time with Caterham but he's still not setting the world on fire.

The sad part is seeing him getting replaced by what will be effectively just a pile of money.

That's probably accurate although talent and money are not as mutually exclusive as they used to be.

#115 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,782 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 20:21

Kovalainen said to MTV3 that his f1career will end this weekend unless Caterham deal will come true, he said there is small chance to get the second seat that is open (looks like he knows who gets the other seat, Pic it seems as Abiteboul admitted he tries to get him). Heikki said it's over and he won't come back.

Edited by Vesuvius, 22 November 2012 - 20:25.

#116 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 315 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 20:25

Kovalainen said to MTV3 that his f1career will end this weekend unless Caterham deal will come true, he said there is small chance to get the second seat that is open (looks like he knows who gets the other seat). Heikki said it's over and he won't come back.

Pic has the other seat.

#117 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,782 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 20:26

Pic has the other seat.

Yes it seems so.

#118 Rosberg

Rosberg

• 217 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 20:46

So looks like Pic with Van Der Garde/Senna/Petrov by the looks of it. Shame to see Heikki Kovalainen go, he has shown his talents in the Caterham and Renault but was a number two driver to Lewis Hamilton at McLaren.

#119 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,612 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 21:05

So looks like Pic with Van Der Garde/Senna/Petrov by the looks of it. Shame to see Heikki Kovalainen go, he has shown his talents in the Caterham and Renault but was a number two driver to Lewis Hamilton at McLaren.

I don't think he'll be missed at all. Seems like a decent guy but I think on the track, he is a little overrated.

The McLaren seat may have came a little too soon for him.

Advertisement

#120 britishtrident

britishtrident

• 1,954 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:08

Heikki will be missed.
But lets not be so down on pay drivers as a group istr that a certain Niki Lauda was pay driver.

#121 tormave

tormave

• 939 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:22

I don't think it's a question of being a pay driver or not, it's about top talent. We watch F1 as it's the pinnacle of motor sport. However if all but the top-3 team drivers have to pay the teams for the seats it can hardly be said that the best drivers in the world are in F1. Now we're looking at Kovalainen and Kobayashi being replaced by Van der Garde and Gutierrez plus a bag full of dollars. I don't think the sport is going to be better to watch as a result for anyone but maybe some Dutch fans. Hell, they even liked Verstappen.

#122 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 2,774 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:33

I don't think it's a question of being a pay driver or not, it's about top talent. We watch F1 as it's the pinnacle of motor sport. However if all but the top-3 team drivers have to pay the teams for the seats it can hardly be said that the best drivers in the world are in F1. Now we're looking at Kovalainen and Kobayashi being replaced by Van der Garde and Gutierrez plus a bag full of dollars. I don't think the sport is going to be better to watch as a result for anyone but maybe some Dutch fans. Hell, they even liked Verstappen.

Yeah, as a Dutch fan I'd like to see vd Garde in F1, but I don't think he'll prove much. I'm really looking forward to the entrance of Frijns though, and de Vries.

#123 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,638 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:50

Looking at pre-F1 achievements in single-seaters, I have no reason to think that replacing Kobayashi by Gutierrez is a shame.

Also the claim that all but top-3 team drivers have to pay is exaggeration. Assuming there is no HRT next year, we have 22 seats to fill. Drivers who don't have to pay and will get a seat are:
- Vettel
- Webber
- Alonso
- Massa
- Hamilton
- Button
- Rosberg
- Raikkonen
- Hulkenberg
- di Resta
- Glock
11 drivers that clearly aren't pay-drivers (as long as you don't think Ferrari will fire Alonso if Santander money no longer comes to them ;))
+ We have:
- Perez, who is not supposed to bring any money for 2013 to McLaren.
- Grosjean, who could a get a seat thanks to support from Total and Renault, but he isn't exactly bringing any personal sponsors.
- Ricciardo and Vergne who are supported by Red Bull but who don't have to bring personal sponsors as well.
- Bottas, who will probably bring some sponsorship, but if he replaces Bruno Senna, you can't really say it's money over talent.
- One free seat at Force India which may go to no-paydriver.
So I'm inclined to say that we still have more no-paydrivers than paydrivers in F1. Another thing is that better and more promising drivers are often prone to find and bring sponsorship these days, making themselves so good combination of money and talent that many F1 teams are simply not able to refuse.

#124 TudorMiron

TudorMiron

• 211 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 14:45

If we look at first half of the season than - yes Heikki was beating Vitaly in Quali while loosing (more often than not) in races where it really counts.

However if we look at last 3d of the season than it's very hard to say that Heikki is faster than Vitaly.

#125 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,205 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 18:45

If we look at first half of the season than - yes Heikki was beating Vitaly in Quali while loosing (more often than not) in races where it really counts.

However if we look at last 3d of the season than it's very hard to say that Heikki is faster than Vitaly.

I would like to know the reason for this .... such turnarounds do not happen by chance alone.

#126 TudorMiron

TudorMiron

• 211 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 19:19

I would like to know the reason for this .... such turnarounds do not happen by chance alone.

This doesn't seem as sudden turn around to me. Vitaly was late in the team and needed time to adapt to the car, team etc. So in the first part of the season while being generally a bit faster in the races he was loosing in Quali. In 2nd half adaptation period was over and he started outpacing (slightly) Heikki in Quali as well.

#127 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,488 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:16

I dont think money is the only reason Heikki is losing his seat. If you were a team boss you would see more interesting drivers around. The other mid class drivers are not really superior on him in terms of speed, but I think Heikki lacks some killers instincts in the racing situations, and his blabbing gives an impression of being mentally weak.

#128 MattPete

MattPete

• 1,424 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:44

IMO, Kovalainen has had an unremarkable, even disappointing, career. Frankly, he should have been shown the door 5 years ago. My biggest shock was to find that he was race in 2007 (never mind 2010!). He was so unremarkable that I completely forgot about his tenure at Renault (and later Lotus). All I remember is his lousy seasons at McLaren.

#129 tomisumi

tomisumi

• 188 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 22:44

Finnish MTV3 brought informations that Heikki is in negotiations with Lotus :) RAI-KOV combination would be awesome

#130 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 3,116 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 22:50

RAI-KOV combination would be awesome

two drivers with a nationality such as Finland, a country with a very small population (5,5 million people), is not very interesting to sponsors

#131 Elloh

Elloh

• 296 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 23:11

two drivers with a nationality such as Finland, a country with a very small population (5,5 million people), is not very interesting to sponsors

And Kimi still manage to become one of the most (or if not the most) popular driver. If the nationality is so important, why dont USA or China have any driver in F1?

#132 Risil

Risil

• 13,371 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 23:17

And Kimi still manage to become one of the most (or if not the most) popular driver. If the nationality is so important, why dont USA or China have any driver in F1?

'Cause Formula One isn't very popular there, duh.

#133 fisssssi

fisssssi

• 993 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 23:17

RAI-KOV combination would be awesome

RAI-KOV would be
Posted Image

#134 BRG

BRG

• 11,424 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:23

Finnish MTV3 brought informations that Heikki is in negotiations with Lotus :) RAI-KOV combination would be awesome

How much cash is Heikki bringing with him? Because there is no way Lotus are going to pay him, surely?

#135 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 10,476 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 13:16

I wouldn't be surprised if Kimi himself would pay Heikki in just to piss people off. :p

#136 Oho

Oho

• 7,500 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 13:20

Still if I have understood McLaren was contemplating going with two mute Finns in 2003.

Edited by Oho, 27 November 2012 - 13:21.

#137 Anonymous

Anonymous

• 2,948 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 14:57

Whitmarsh pushed for Marussia seat for Kovalainen

Money, money, money ... :well:

#138 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,782 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 15:09

Withmarsh,Hamilton and Hembery all said this week at Jerez that Heikki belongs to F1 and is the best driver available by far and formula 1 is going wrong direction with paydrivers. It was nice to see Withmarsh trying to help Heikki but that came too late as Marussia had done the deal with Razia already. Hembery said they might give Heikki a testing contract if he doesn't get place from F1 anywhere else but Heikki himself has aaid he isn't interested on testing duties.

#139 Bunchies

Bunchies

• 1,499 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 15:33

Looking at pre-F1 achievements in single-seaters, I have no reason to think that replacing Kobayashi by Gutierrez is a shame.

I'm sorry, but that's a stupid reason.

Kobayashi is more exciting to watch than any other driver on grid. What does pre-F1 career have anything to do with that?

Nothing.

Advertisement

#140 motorhead

motorhead

• 875 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 15:37

Still if I have understood McLaren was contemplating going with two mute Finns in 2003.

Heikki is hardly mute, in fact he talks quite a lot  ;)

#141 Mendel

Mendel

• 148 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 15:58

I really didn´t want to forecast that this would actually happen. I also never thought they would let go of Heikki even in the situation where they finish 10th in championship.

I´m also saddened by the apparent lack of backup plan for Heikki.

Well, at least us Finns will have Bottas and Kimi to cheer for.

#142 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,638 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 16:14

I'm sorry, but that's a stupid reason.

Kobayashi is more exciting to watch than any other driver on grid. What does pre-F1 career have anything to do with that?

Nothing.

To be "exciting to watch" is even more stupid reason to decide about driver anyway.

How can we know that Gutierrez won't be even more "exciting to watch"?

#143 BiH

BiH

• 2,305 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 19:06

Marussia is like STR to Redbull.

Edited by BiH, 07 February 2013 - 19:07.

#144 Wander

Wander

• 2,261 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 19:32

I want to see Heikki racing somewhere. Fair enough, his Mclaren seasons were disappointing, but it's a shame his last few years were wasted driving the Caterham. He probably could have found a midfield seat for 2010 if he had wanted to, and in hindsight that would have been a better career choice. It would have been nice to see what he could have done in a proper car, he was generally faster than Jarno and Vitaly in his seasons at Caterham, after all, although finishing behind Vitaly in the races half the time last year probably didn't do him any favours.

#145 Mendel

Mendel

• 148 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 22:31

Having seen how Caterham is doing in the testing this season, I´m no longer bothered so much by them not choosing Heikki.

What could he have achieved with Caterham this year that he hasn´t already done?

No reason to keep banging the head to the wall.

#146 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,699 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:07

I like his attitude re sponsorship.

#147 tormave

tormave

• 939 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:20

I like his attitude re sponsorship.

Me too. The vdGardes and Razias are wasting a huge amount of money in 2013 with zero expected return.

#148 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:16

I find that some what ironic after Whitmarsh has just employed Perez over Hulkenburg because of "commercial opportunities".

#149 Sausage

Sausage

• 1,795 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 14:35

Withmarsh,Hamilton and Hembery all said this week at Jerez that Heikki belongs to F1 and is the best driver available by far and formula 1 is going wrong direction with paydrivers. It was nice to see Withmarsh trying to help Heikki but that came too late as Marussia had done the deal with Razia already. Hembery said they might give Heikki a testing contract if he doesn't get place from F1 anywhere else but Heikki himself has aaid he isn't interested on testing duties.

Both Whitmarsh and Hamilton have ulterior motives for praising Heikki imo. He ranks along Magnussen as far as F1 disapointments go.

Edited by Sausage, 10 February 2013 - 14:36.

#150 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,138 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 16:46

As a person he's fine.. he's good in interviews etc.

As a driver, I've never been impressed. Even his win, came under unimpressive circumstances. It's hard to find any positives about his driving.

He doesn't remind me at all, of Heidfeld, who was a very solid driver IMO. I wish Heiki all of the best, but this news isn't surprising.